Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Increasingly rough play

Post by Cletus »

Anyone else noticing a trend in women's lacrosse over the last two years where it seems refs are allowing more rough play than before? Flagrant stick fouls that most certainly would have drawn a yellow card a few years ago are now common practice and largely ignored. Why do you think this is? It doesn’t appear that the players mind as so many of them use their sticks freely. They seem to take stick swipes near the head, (sometimes knocking goggles off or hair askew,) crosschecks and whacks to the body as a matter of course. Was there a decision made by the muckety-mucks to let the ladies play because they had a study done which concluded that more fans would be attracted to the sport if there was more rough play? Or is it just the way the game is evolving naturally?
seacoaster

Re: Increasingly rough play

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm Anyone else noticing a trend in women's lacrosse over the last two years where it seems refs are allowing more rough play than before? Flagrant stick fouls that most certainly would have drawn a yellow card a few years ago are now common practice and largely ignored. Why do you think this is? It doesn’t appear that the players mind as so many of them use their sticks freely. They seem to take stick swipes near the head, (sometimes knocking goggles off or hair askew,) crosschecks and whacks to the body as a matter of course. Was there a decision made by the muckety-mucks to let the ladies play because they had a study done which concluded that more fans would be attracted to the sport if there was more rough play? Or is it just the way the game is evolving naturally?
I do not perceive any uptick in the physicality at the Division 1 level games that I've seen this year. Once the sport allowed the horizontal stick, this was the trajectory. I see a lot of hard fouls, some called as yellow, and some not, but I don't see it increased over past years.

I am absolutely certain "muckety-mucks" are effectively encouraging no-calls or additional physicality as a way of making the game alluring, marketable, etc. I do think this is the evolution of women's sports; the training, endurance, strength and skillsets of these women are at another level from years past. The collisions are between and among young powerhouses.

All, of course, JMO.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm I do not perceive any uptick in the physicality at the Division 1 level games that I've seen this year. Once the sport allowed the horizontal stick, this was the trajectory. I see a lot of hard fouls, some called as yellow, and some not, but I don't see it increased over past years.

I am absolutely certain "muckety-mucks" are effectively encouraging no-calls or additional physicality as a way of making the game alluring, marketable, etc. I do think this is the evolution of women's sports; the training, endurance, strength and skillsets of these women are at another level from years past. The collisions are between and among young powerhouses.

All, of course, JMO.
And a compelling one. Thanks, sea.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:32 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm I do not perceive any uptick in the physicality at the Division 1 level games that I've seen this year. Once the sport allowed the horizontal stick, this was the trajectory. I see a lot of hard fouls, some called as yellow, and some not, but I don't see it increased over past years.

All, of course, JMO.
And a compelling one. Thanks, sea.
Thanks but sorry, I re-read my post. I meant to say "I am absolutely certain "muckety-mucks" are NOT effectively encouraging no-calls or additional physicality as a way of making the game alluring."
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm
Cletus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:46 pm Anyone else noticing a trend in women's lacrosse over the last two years where it seems refs are allowing more rough play than before? Flagrant stick fouls that most certainly would have drawn a yellow card a few years ago are now common practice and largely ignored. Why do you think this is? It doesn’t appear that the players mind as so many of them use their sticks freely. They seem to take stick swipes near the head, (sometimes knocking goggles off or hair askew,) crosschecks and whacks to the body as a matter of course. Was there a decision made by the muckety-mucks to let the ladies play because they had a study done which concluded that more fans would be attracted to the sport if there was more rough play? Or is it just the way the game is evolving naturally?
I do not perceive any uptick in the physicality at the Division 1 level games that I've seen this year. Once the sport allowed the horizontal stick, this was the trajectory. I see a lot of hard fouls, some called as yellow, and some not, but I don't see it increased over past years.

I am absolutely certain "muckety-mucks" are [not] effectively encouraging no-calls or additional physicality as a way of making the game alluring, marketable, etc. I do think this is the evolution of women's sports; the training, endurance, strength and skillsets of these women are at another level from years past. The collisions are between and among young powerhouses.

All, of course, JMO.
Agree - not sure I see significantly more physical play (maybe outside of a few teams who use physicality strategically), but probably more going uncalled. Outside the critical scoring area, I think certain rule changes have a lot to do with this. Now that there's free movement and self starting, awarding a foul isn't much of a disadvantage to the fouling party (apart from counting toward a green card, which I think officials avoid issuing when possible unless the game is starting to get out of control). Plus the shot clock has significantly changed the flow of the game and how teams approach transition. And as sea touched on, I think the players prefer it this way in general. Obviously safety has to be paramount, but IMO allowing more physicality brings out the best in the sport and the athletes.
Cletus

Heels at Hokies?

Post by Cletus »

9 count 'em 9 players, including Paige Petty and other significant players are out for VT due to covid issue. This game is officially a scrimmage.
Cletus

1-4 and then the rest?

Post by Cletus »

Someone wrote something along the lines of: There are 4 top teams, and 5 through 20 are interchangable. Something along those lines. Seems like that has been the case so far.
Cletus

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Cletus »

I just want to copy and paste this Fanlax statement of purpose, if you will. It is found at the bottom of the "front page" of the website. I find it reassuring every time I go back and look at it. It reads thus:

"FanLax is a website and forum dedicated to serving all lacrosse fans. Well, not the obnoxious ones. But the vast majority of fans of lacrosse. So, if you like lacrosse and you're not obnoxious, you've come to the right place. If you like lacrosse and you are obnoxious, you've also come to the right place. We have plenty of threads within our forums packed with people just like you."

(emphasis mine)

At the time of this post, the site lists over 2700 members. A number of those members are parents of young women who are currently playing collegiate lacrosse. A number are members who used to coach or who are currently coaching. There are perhaps members who write for lacrosse publications. And all kinds of other categories which members may or may not fit into. And then there are members who are rabid fans of the sport, who never had children who played collegiate lacrosse, who came to appreciate the sport the same way most people do--by seeing it on TV and becoming intrigued and fascinated and finally, a fan, and who go about being a fan in the same way they do for any other sport they are a fan of. According to the charter, ALL fans of lacrosse are welcome.

To sum up, Fanlax doesn't have an exclusive ruling group of lacrosse fans they cater to. There isn't a group of exclusive members who determine how things are done here. That's up to the admin(s). And as they have determined: "FanLax is a website and forum dedicated to serving all lacrosse fans." All means ALL. And mighty grateful I am for a forum that caters to and welcomes ALL lacrosse fans.

Long Live FanLax!
Cletus

Regarding recruiting

Post by Cletus »

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

“Come gather 'round friends and I'll tell you a tale,
Of when the red iron pits ran a-plenty.
But the cardboard-filled windows and old men on the benches,
Tell you now that the whole town is empty.”

— Elston Gunnn
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Wildcats 25 Terrapins 12

In the immortal words (with a minor amendation) of the teenager with the Jimi Hendrix button in Stephen King's The Dead Zone:
"I love to see this team get a beatin"
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Here’s a question for you D1 women’s lacrosse historians:

Has any team ever come back from a running clock to win the game?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I saw it happen in high school. Garden City came down to play Shawnee. The Renegades had the Trojans in a running clock in the first half, but Garden City came back and won the game. (Sorry, Tom.)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:51 am I saw it happen in high school. Garden City came down to play Shawnee. The Renegades had the Trojans in a running clock in the first half, but Garden City came back and won the game. (Sorry, Tom.)
Thank you, Bill. That must have been exciting to see in person. Have you ever heard of it happening in division 1?
njbill

Post by njbill »

I can’t remember who I was rooting for in that game. I am genetically disposed to root against Shawnee, but it was a game involving a Jersey team, and a South Jersey team to boot, so maybe I made an exception.

On the other hand, I’ve always had a lot of respect for the Garden City program (sorry, Joe, if you are still reading). Really glad to see alum Jenn Medjid doing well now. She was quite the player in high school.

No, not aware of it happening in a college game, but there are others here who follow college more closely than I do.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

If I am not mistaken, Shawnee jumped out to a 10-0 lead and lost in overtime by one.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dug out what I have from the game, which includes Tom’s article. The game was in April 2009.

My notes are pretty sketchy. The most significant omission is I didn’t note what the score was when the clock began to run. My notes reflect that Shawnee scored the first eight goals of the game, to lead 8-0 at 17:20. Garden City did not score its first goal until 16:36.

Tom’s article says the clock began to run with 7 1/2 minutes left in the half. He also says Shawnee lead 12-2 at one point. That may have been the only 10 goal lead in the game.

I have the halftime score 12-7 Shawnee as does Tom. Final was 17-15 Garden City per my notes and Tom’s article. No overtime. My notes also say Shawnee played a senior goalie in the first half and a sophomore goalie in the second half.

Tom, ever the wordsmith, said Shawnee was “protecting a lead that was shrinking faster than the game clock was ticking.”

I know. Way TMI for the large majority of the board. Back in the old days of the nj.com forum, there were lots and lots of Shawnee posters. Some carried over to lax power. I don’t think there are any here on fan lax.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:29 pm Dug out what I have from the game, which includes Tom’s article. The game was in April 2009.

My notes are pretty sketchy. The most significant omission is I didn’t note what the score was when the clock began to run. My notes reflect that Shawnee scored the first eight goals of the game, to lead 8-0 at 17:20. Garden City did not score its first goal until 16:36.

Tom’s article says the clock began to run with 7 1/2 minutes left in the half. He also says Shawnee lead 12-2 at one point. That may have been the only 10 goal lead in the game.

I have the halftime score 12-7 Shawnee as does Tom. Final was 17-15 Garden City per my notes and Tom’s article. No overtime. My notes also say Shawnee played a senior goalie in the first half and a sophomore goalie in the second half.

Tom, ever the wordsmith, said Shawnee was “protecting a lead that was shrinking faster than the game clock was ticking.”

I know. Way TMI for the large majority of the board. Back in the old days of the nj.com forum, there were lots and lots of Shawnee posters. Some carried over to lax power. I don’t think there are any here on fan lax.
I don’t know anything about these teams but I found this whole thread interesting. Thanks Bill.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not TMI for this guy, plus there's a line in there I'll stealing, one day it'll come in handy.
“protecting a lead that was shrinking faster than the game clock was ticking.”
I like that one.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

In today’s Lehigh vs Loyola game, at around 15:58 in the 2nd, a Loyola defender butt checked their attacker and it was legal... I thought butt checks were illegal?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”