Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by oldjayfan »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:03 am Bart fans came into the Dome like they always do, full of support, energy, and noise...just great fans at Bart. No one watched that game and walked away thinking Bart isn't a pretty darn good team, was a good contest. Bart moves the ball nicely, the O is going to raise hell with a lot of teams out there. That's the first time I've seen Bart play and it didn't take long to see that this is a pretty talented team. Think Cuse's team speed came into play here, Dordevic could do pretty much whatever he wanted, no way a shortie could keep him away from the cage, and Curry could blow by his man darn near every time he touched the ball. In the end, Cuse just had too much O for Bart's D to deal with. Bart fought like champs though and made it a tight game despite what the final score might lead one to believe. Very good, hard fought, and entertaining game...and yes, there were some bad calls but that's not the story of this game. Nice game, Bart, that's a good looking team.
As I stated earlier, SU's midfield is just to dominate. First midfield had 12gs. Hobart competed, though.. Oh, and Hobart got a bad whistle..
manyhats

Post by manyhats »

At this point in the season 3 - 1 looks good to me. On to Bingo, watched two of their games and they have a hard time scoring goals.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

SU's first midfield could well be the best in the country. That said, our LSMs need to play better defense. Cuse had size and speed advantages at midfield that we just couldn't stop. A few things we didn't do well that were our own fault. The offense didn't move the ball nearly as well as they have in the first 3 games. If the player carrying the ball didn't see his first passing option open, they tried to iso, usually resulting in a double team by SU. #6 got crunched this way a few times. Passing was just off. Some guys look like their sticks have way to much whip and are set up to crank only, not pass (#21)?. A good 10 passes went to the receivers feet. Some shots missed by a mile. Fix those sticks. Slides were late, to the point of Sam being on an island. The 2 main things that stood out on the positive end is the grit this team showed and that they can compete with the elite. Definitely need to clean up some things. But, the rest of the season should be a lot of fun.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Lot more notes to think about ie LT but one criticism is I think it’s time to drop the over the should wrap around shot. Hasn’t been effective enough and I suspect in breeds some complacency or laziness from those guys vs continuing to work for a better look in those situations.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:41 pm Lot more notes to think about ie LT but one criticism is I think it’s time to drop the over the should wrap around shot. Hasn’t been effective enough and I suspect in breeds some complacency or laziness from those guys vs continuing to work for a better look in those situations.
With the no more wrap shot, Now you sound like the announcer, you know the "it's all about me, Ric Beardsley"...SU's defense forced most of those bad passes(too much whip in the Hobart sticks-- bizarre analysis). I love it when teams say, "we had a bad game", yeah, because SU took them out of their normal game.

Gotta get back to the Blue Jays/Princeton...I like watching Sowers play, except when it's against us!!
Last edited by oldjayfan on Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm On this thread I think it's ok.

Do you deny there were a number of missed calls skewed one way including a couple that led to quick Syracuse goals?
never bother discussing spilled milk
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Well, I’m a little Sick rewatching the game and around the 3:50 mark in the 2nd period when PJ Delpha makes a nice strip has just scooped the ball, gets knocked down from behind by #12 and within ten or so seconds there’s a score to make it 7-4. Just rough for me. And the little points in time chipped away, to pull even early in the third when starting out 0-3 and looking below average, it takes a lot to keep fighting back from 1-3 behind for a while, especially against a great, most likely at least final four team on their home turf.

I think anyone has a right to be bummed by a handful of critical moments in the game. Like I said before, we got f’ed a little by the refs too but whatever f them. But we know we have a very good team this year and very few big time opponents, just Cuse/Cornell, that the fact that it was clear we could run w a top 5 team and yet didn’t get any breaks, let’s just say, so I think it’s fine for a couple of days to mourn the game. Maybe the more graceful thing is to not come here and moralize to us after the game?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Hop alums watch this forum as we anticipate a move down south for Coach Raymond come June...
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:33 pm Well, I’m a little Sick rewatching the game and around the 3:50 mark in the 2nd period when PJ Delpha makes a nice strip has just scooped the ball, gets knocked down from behind by #12 and within ten or so seconds there’s a score to make it 7-4. Just rough for me. And the little points in time chipped away, to pull even early in the third when starting out 0-3 and looking below average, it takes a lot to keep fighting back from 1-3 behind for a while, especially against a great, most likely at least final four team on their home turf.

I think anyone has a right to be bummed by a handful of critical moments in the game. Like I said before, we got f’ed a little by the refs too but whatever f them. But we know we have a very good team this year and very few big time opponents, just Cuse/Cornell, that the fact that it was clear we could run w a top 5 team and yet didn’t get any breaks, let’s just say, so I think it’s fine for a couple of days to mourn the game. Maybe the more graceful thing is to not come here and moralize to us after the game?
why not allow the complements I made to Bart stand. Their offense will give the best teams problems.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s all good, doesn’t change how easy you would be to feel the way I described and there’s zero obvious benefit to coming down on guys for being bummed by stuff that’s true.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

oldjayfan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:38 pm Hop alums watch this forum as we anticipate a move down south for Coach Raymond come June...
And they all know coach's wife is a william Smith alumnae, right? ... I think he likes it here. Plus, we're good to him.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:55 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:38 pm Hop alums watch this forum as we anticipate a move down south for Coach Raymond come June...
And they all know coach's wife is a william Smith alumnae, right? ... I think he likes it here. Plus, we're good to him.
I love watching Hobart play, Raymond has them back in the lax conversation. I think his wife may even be FROM Geneva..
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:38 pm That’s all good, doesn’t change how easy you would be to feel the way I described and there’s zero obvious benefit to coming down on guys for being bummed by stuff that’s true.
still at it huh. Okay, damn the referees.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

sholokov2 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:38 pm That’s all good, doesn’t change how easy you would be to feel the way I described and there’s zero obvious benefit to coming down on guys for being bummed by stuff that’s true.
:lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

sholokov2 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:35 pm
Because there’s obviously only two ways to view something and you didn’t come in here telling someone (else) how they should and shouldn’t behave. Cool.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

The local news station ran a picture of the first team to play a game in the Carrier Dome in 1981. It was the Hobart Statesmen. For all old timers, see how many guys you can recognize. https://i0.wp.com/www.localsyr.com/wp-c ... C360&ssl=1
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 pm The local news station ran a picture of the first team to play a game in the Carrier Dome in 1981. It was the Hobart Statesmen. For all old timers, see how many guys you can recognize. https://i0.wp.com/www.localsyr.com/wp-c ... C360&ssl=1
Hobart played Brown in that first game...wonder who scored the first goal?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

19. Hobart The Trout Tossers got filleted in the Dome, 21-13
Raymond should hang that one up in the locker room, QK.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Ok, I have let the loss sink in. I think we have a very good team, just not on the Syracuse level , but our heart was evident and the staff has them playing with intensity or they just have intensity on their own. We definitely had a couple of bad calls, but SU O is just too deep for our D. The Hobart Offense is the best I've seen in years and I think we have to give most of the credit to our new OC, Brundage. If Raymond is stollen by the Bluejays, which they keep threatening to do on the board, just make Brundage the coach. In a way, I like that we got beat by enough (although the last 3-4 goals were end of game garbage), that should motivate us and keep our heads from swelling for the NEC season. Trout tossers filleted...really. Take it out on Binghamton and move on, win the NEC , but take nothing for granted, and give Cornell all they can handle in a few weeks. This should be a fun season.
By the way, the SU security was a bit over the top in front of our student section (that were troutless), just waiting to pounce on any excessive exuberance and putting a damper on the experience....it made me want to go to a fish store at half time and give them a piece of 1970's nostalgia. :lol:
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Really great for our guys to compete against SU. Those games make you better and who knows maybe we can see them again. SU should be able to keep it going, they have a lot of talent and athleticism. I dont know if Nick Mellen will make it back but if he does they will be even harder to score on. The Cornell SU game this year will be interesting for sure. I have watched the Big Red a couple of times and they are also really sharp offensively.

Well, time to focus on the Bearcats. An extra day of prep/rest with the game out of the way on Friday. Bing has struggled so far but they always compete. The weather is sometimes a factor when we play Bing so I wonder if we will be inside again. Starting to warm up, but Saturday looks a little chilly, not terrible, and Greg can get the boys out on Boswell this week as it will be 40s. Nice to start out 4 out of 5 at home and indoors. I think it does help with injuries that have plagued us over the years.

Have to be pleased with our battery of 2 solid face off guys. They did well against a good SU crew and Baltzer and others played well on the wing. Baltser turned back a couple of times for the easy cross field pass instead of forcing it upfield, as a couple of guys did who got stripped.

The obvious trouble came in trying to handle all that midfield speed and skill SU had. The double team on Griffin Cook that led to a shorthanded goal for them was unfortunate but that is where you have to make a play. Take it away there and you have a good shot at scoring and that is a tighter game. Credit to Cook on a good play.

Raymond is great at focusing in on correcting problems. Sometimes you dont have the horses, but I think we have some kids who can compete with a little more experience. Romm is a freshman but he looks like he will be a big contributor like his brother was. We can take a group approach and try and keep fresh people on at SSDM, the toughest position in the game. Hopefully everyone can stay healthy and we can continue to play a lot of people and give some of these impressive younger players some more confidence. Herlihy and Simas have to play and get some more experience. They can make plays.

We are lucky to have a strong coaching staff. You see how kids improve over their careers and that is really what you want. Certainly true the program is in strong shape under the staff's efforts.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”