Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:11 am
glaxer24 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 am Speaking of transfer, today Molly Carter from Syracuse announced her transfer to Pitt for her 2 remaining years of eligibility and to pursue a masters degree. Pitt has definitely gotten a number of notable transfers recently, excited to see what they bring to the ACC
Good for her! I always liked Molly Carter but she faded into obscurity after a while. I'm glad she's going to get a chance to play again. Remember how it was a big trend at the beginning of the 2018 season, that so many Syracuse players donned the helmet? It didn't last long.

IIRC, that was because of a equipment deal with the helmet manufacturer....could be wrong, but that is what I remember.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:10 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:11 am
glaxer24 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 am Speaking of transfer, today Molly Carter from Syracuse announced her transfer to Pitt for her 2 remaining years of eligibility and to pursue a masters degree. Pitt has definitely gotten a number of notable transfers recently, excited to see what they bring to the ACC
Good for her! I always liked Molly Carter but she faded into obscurity after a while. I'm glad she's going to get a chance to play again. Remember how it was a big trend at the beginning of the 2018 season, that so many Syracuse players donned the helmet? It didn't last long.

IIRC, that was because of a equipment deal with the helmet manufacturer....could be wrong, but that is what I remember.
That sounds right. Good memory, Doc. I think most of the players chose not to wear them as the season wore on.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

If you can't beat' em join 'em. This transfer portal is gonna be a mess this year
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dasher wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:52 am If you can't beat' em join 'em. This transfer portal is gonna be a mess this year
You think more players will transfer to BC, NU, NC, SU, et al?
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

past the thinking stage.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dasher wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 am past the thinking stage.
Nice!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:00 am
Dasher wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:52 am If you can't beat' em join 'em. This transfer portal is gonna be a mess this year
If I am top 4, I either look at it as one more piece completes the puzzle, or, adding disrupts the team we have....Would have to be a big name to fill a big need for me to take transfers at one of those schools...for every CN or GR or SM, there will be alot of transfers that dont significantly raise your median or starters....
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:16 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:00 am
If I am top 4, I either look at it as one more piece completes the puzzle, or, adding disrupts the team we have....Would have to be a big name to fill a big need for me to take transfers at one of those schools...for every CN or GR or SM, there will be alot of transfers that dont significantly raise your median or starters....
Agreed. I don’t think the NC and NU transfers had much of an impact. It would be interesting to hear more on the chemistry angle.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Mueller was second team all big 10 and put up 56 points ... games I saw she was also active in the ride and had 18CTO. Started and played every game. I think that qualifies as impact. For UNC Levy is a big fan of Miller, but IMHO she had a rude awakening coming from the PAC12. Mediocre #s and actively hurt them down the stretch in ACC and NCAA tourney (weak defense, poor shot selection). Bourque was less touted but MUCH better on the defensive end and a much more effective drive to cage. We'll never know her potential impact, but she would have been on the first midfield no question.

UNC middies a BIG factor in the loss to BC. Hillman coming back from injury and the aforementioned Miller. Levy tried to fortify the defense with Dorsey and some other combinations, to no avail.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:40 am Mueller was second team all big 10 and put up 56 points ... games I saw she was also active in the ride and had 18CTO. Started and played every game. I think that qualifies as impact. For UNC Levy is a big fan of Miller, but IMHO she had a rude awakening coming from the PAC12. Mediocre #s and actively hurt them down the stretch in ACC and NCAA tourney (weak defense, poor shot selection). Bourque was less touted but MUCH better on the defensive end and a much more effective drive to cage. We'll never know her potential impact, but she would have been on the first midfield no question.

UNC middies a BIG factor in the loss to BC. Hillman coming back from injury and the aforementioned Miller. Levy tried to fortify the defense with Dorsey and some other combinations, to no avail.
Marginal numbers in the tournament though.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

It would be nice if these players in the TP would look to help bring a program up that is NOT in the top 10. There are so many opportunities and lots of good solid academic schools that could use a boost in personnel on their Lacrosse teams. Why not carve out your own success as opposed to hitching yourself to someone else's?

Just a thought.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 pm It would be nice if these players in the TP would look to help bring a program up that is NOT in the top 10. There are so many opportunities and lots of good solid academic schools that could use a boost in personnel on their Lacrosse teams. Why not carve out your own success as opposed to hitching yourself to someone else's?

Just a thought.
Gladwell's big fish small pond.....I think the transfers to Pitt are the examples you are defining.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:49 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 pm It would be nice if these players in the TP would look to help bring a program up that is NOT in the top 10. There are so many opportunities and lots of good solid academic schools that could use a boost in personnel on their Lacrosse teams. Why not carve out your own success as opposed to hitching yourself to someone else's?

Just a thought.
Gladwell's big fish small pond.....I think the transfers to Pitt are the examples you are defining.
Good point—Paige Petty leading the way.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:18 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:09 pm All good points and clearly he is living it, but I would say that like many tools, the portal can be used as intended or misused.
Look how it is decimating Syracuse Women's Basketball. 11 players entered the portal. This has to be very concerning to the coach, the AD and the school.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/22/k ... fer-portal

If ELEVEN...11 players entered the Portal from Syracuse Women's Basketball, the coach being concerned is meaningless. The AD needs to be asking the coach why this is happening. When the number is that big from one Basketball team, that sounds like the coach is the problem.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:18 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:09 pm All good points and clearly he is living it, but I would say that like many tools, the portal can be used as intended or misused.
Look how it is decimating Syracuse Women's Basketball. 11 players entered the portal. This has to be very concerning to the coach, the AD and the school.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/04/22/k ... fer-portal

If ELEVEN...11 players entered the Portal from Syracuse Women's Basketball, the coach being concerned is meaningless. The AD needs to be asking the coach why this is happening. When the number is that big from one Basketball team, that sounds like the coach is the problem.
Well put, Larry.
laxstan8

Post by laxstan8 »

Have Mastroianni or Growney from UNC announced what they are doing for 2022? I noticed they didn't celebrate senior day with the Heels so I bet they are taking another jab at a championship in 22.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxstan8 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 pm Have Mastroianni or Growney from UNC announced what they are doing for 2022? I noticed they didn't celebrate senior day with the Heels so I bet they are taking another jab at a championship in 22.
This was the obligatory grads photo a from a few days ago:

Not sure if it helps reach conclusions on who is coming back.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

laxstan8 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:06 pm Have Mastroianni or Growney from UNC announced what they are doing for 2022? I noticed they didn't celebrate senior day with the Heels so I bet they are taking another jab at a championship in 22.
Both are coming back and so are Moreno and Ortega.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

UNC starting line-up next year is loaded with great 5th year players. Is JL developing the young talent at UNC because they lose about 5 AA's after next year. Same thing happened to MD and BC and MD is still recovering from the impact.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:42 pm they lose about 5 AA's after next year. Same thing happened to MD and BC and MD is still recovering from the impact.
Why do you suppose BC recovered so quickly and MD is still in the process? It's obvious this latest chapter of the Terps is marginal. Over the last two years, their combined record is 13-10; 6-10 vs ranked teams, 0-6 vs top 10. Very different numbers than what is typical.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”