Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by DocBarrister »

Well, this past Tuesday we saw a guy pull a stunning upset over a favored competitor.

Let’s see if Hopkins can do the same.

To win!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Boys Latin is streaming their game against Ponte Vedra (one of the best teams in Florida). After the first quarter, Brendan Grimes (Hop commit) has two goals, Ryan Evans (Hop commit) has one, and Dom Pietramala has the other. Grimes looks terrific, fully recovered from the injury that forced him to miss most of his junior season.

https://events.locallive.tv/events/36431

Update: Dom is absolutely incredible. Never seen a high school sophomore this skilled and poised as a dodger and shooter. He looks like he could step on a D1 field right now and score a ton of goals.

https://twitter.com/PeaceLacrosse/statu ... 2622758914
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I agree re: Dom
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Grimes 5g
Dom 4g, 2a
Evans 3g
20-6 Lakers In the 3rd.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:57 am or questionable support given the lofty goals
I am not sure asking what is considered an elite program to make more than 1 final four every 12 years. That isn't exactly a lofty goal. In fact, that is goal, and no offense to them a Towson or Delaware's goal. I also don't think it is too much of a lofty goal for the team to be slightly better than 500 record over the last 5 years. As much as I hate the B1G, I don't think it is too much to ask for it to win the regular season title more than once and that was 5 years ago.

No one is asking the program to turn the clock back to the 70s. What they are asking is for a semblance of sustained excellence. If the 2020 Hopkins team was coming off of a FF bid, and the results were the same for 2020, I would stink but certainly more understanding. The fact is Hopkins has stunk for most of the last decade. There has been one moment, 2015 team (which really only made the tournament because of an automatic bid) that has really demonstrated even getting close to showing some type of excellence.

We can argue players, school, Baltimore, the changing lacrosse scene that has resulted in more competition (something I disagree with) but at the end of the day the only consistent part of the program over the last decade is the coaches.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am
On lax, anecdata.
In my day and for many decades, it was no mystery who could consider Hopkins and who they could get in.
And that, yes, regularly included some with abysmal academic records...the weren't "under qualified", they had exactly the sort of qualifications necessary...as a lacrosse player. Again, that's not to denigrate those players, or their team mates, or anyone else...read my post, please, in that regard.

I'm not saying that's identical today, but you betcha there's a big difference continuing today between the guys able to get in for say football or baseball than lacrosse. We can debate about whether that's appropriate or not, but it's a reality.
Well, you have hit on a couple of issues. I played football in the 90s and lived with a bunch of athletes (not WaWa) and I'd say of the 8 guys in the house 4 probably didn't need any help getting into Hopkins and 4 probably got a small push. I can safely say 1 roommates SAT score was probably 200+ below the average and another 100 or so. At the end of the day, the both graduated in the top 5% both have outstanding jobs - partner in a top 10 law firm and the other the head of his department in a top 5 hospital.

I'm sure that lacrosse players (men and women) get a little more boost than the D3 athletes. How much that is who knows.
Jhu99

Post by Jhu99 »

Hot word on the street coming out of Roland Park is that Coach Bobby Shriver and The Dubinator (3x National Champ and 4x 1st Team All-American on Defense for Hop) are considering reuniting from their days at Boys’ Latin to save the Hopkins program. They’ve been seen meeting with the Hopkins athletic director Alanna Shanahan (who’s a former lax standout at UPenn and has publicly said she wants to bring the lax programs back to championship caliber) over lunch at Johnny’s in Roland Park. This would be a big boost for the program due to Shriver’s relationship with all of the high school coaches in the MIAA A and top DC schools and also a big boost in the respect that Dubinator will revitalize the defense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Giacalone is starting.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

99. She is not the Athletic Director. Jen Baker is the AD. Alana has new responsibilities
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

We can argue players, school, Baltimore, the changing lacrosse scene that has resulted in more competition (something I disagree with) but at the end of the day the only consistent part of the program over the last decade is the coaches.

Precisely my point. The coaches set a standard or excellence for a decade. So what changed?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:49 pm We can argue players, school, Baltimore, the changing lacrosse scene that has resulted in more competition (something I disagree with) but at the end of the day the only consistent part of the program over the last decade is the coaches.

Precisely my point. The coaches set a standard or excellence for a decade. So what changed?
Game changed. That is for sure. I'd also argue support from Daniels and the admin (though others disagree).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Jhu99 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:31 pm Hot word on the street coming out of Roland Park is that Coach Bobby Shriver and The Dubinator (3x National Champ and 4x 1st Team All-American on Defense for Hop) are considering reuniting from their days at Boys’ Latin to save the Hopkins program. They’ve been seen meeting with the Hopkins athletic director Alanna Shanahan (who’s a former lax standout at UPenn and has publicly said she wants to bring the lax programs back to championship caliber) over lunch at Johnny’s in Roland Park. This would be a big boost for the program due to Shriver’s relationship with all of the high school coaches in the MIAA A and top DC schools and also a big boost in the respect that Dubinator will revitalize the defense.
lol.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Good ball movement....but playing catch with the goalie.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Concannon is on crutches. Likely means he had surgery and is out for the year.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

So Hopkins clearly has no idea how to recruit goalies. Good grief.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

I guess we just don't have a goalie
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Giacalone lasts 10 minutes. Darby is back in.

Such a joke. Darby gets 19 games of 45% before he's pulled. Giac gets less than a quarter. Debacle.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

And the rout is on
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:21 pm Giacalone lasts 10 minutes. Darby is back in.

Such a joke. Darby gets 19 games of 45% before he's pulled. Giac gets less than a quarter. Debacle.
Well, it makes sense because they want to go to zone. Oh wait. That's not going to happen.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Stubbornly sticking with man even though we're losing every 1:1 matchup.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”