Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:41 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:46 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:06 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:56 am Thoughts and prayers for Michigan State.
Yes, it's a lot easier than doing something about guns. Three innocents dead, five wounded, multiple lives completely shattered. Again.
Same old story, same old song and dance my friend. What is your plan counselor? How do you deal with the gun problem? I'm reminded about all of the people who gripe about the weather knowing full well there is nothing anyone can do about the weather. Are you advocating " common sense" gun laws??? Apparently you are not up to speed. Those common sense gun laws are maliciously being ignored by people who don't give a chit about gun laws or common sense for that matter. If your going to whine about it... WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION??? That is a fair question counselor. How do you address the rampant problem of ILLEGAL WEAPONS??? Your a smart guy, time for you to provide YOUR SOLUTION. I'm more than willing to find out what Your solution is. My solution starts with throwing people who possess ILLEGAL WEAPONS in jail for a very long time.
My solution starts by acknowledging that we’ve regulated and restricted what types of “Arms” people have been able to “keep and bear” since forever, and should be regulating and restricting more.
That is a good start. Can you define for gun owners what an assault rifle is?? You touched on the huge conundrum. The second amendment mentions a well regulated militia. The second amendment then makes a very profound declaration. The right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed. Where the discussion becomes interesting is where a well regulated militia supercedes the same right that shall not be infringed.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:57 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:56 am Thoughts and prayers for Michigan State.
Yes, it's a lot easier than doing something about guns. Three innocents dead, five wounded, multiple lives completely shattered. Again.
Same old story, same old song and dance my friend. What is your plan counselor? How do you deal with the gun problem? I'm reminded about all of the people who gripe about the weather knowing full well there is nothing anyone can do about the weather. Are you advocating " common sense" gun laws??? Apparently you are not up to speed. Those common sense gun laws are maliciously being ignored by people who don't give a chit about gun laws or common sense for that matter. If your going to whine about it... WHAT IS YOUR SOLUTION??? That is a fair question counselor. How do you address the rampant problem of ILLEGAL WEAPONS??? Your a smart guy, time for you to provide YOUR SOLUTION. I'm more than willing to find out what Your solution is. My solution starts with throwing people who possess ILLEGAL WEAPONS in jail for a very long time.
My solution starts by acknowledging that we’ve regulated and restricted what types of “Arms” people have been able to “keep and bear” since forever, and should be regulating and restricting more.
That is a good start. Can you define for gun owners what an assault rifle is?? You touched on the huge conundrum. The second amendment mentions a well regulated militia. The second amendment then makes a very profound declaration. The right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed. Where the discussion becomes interesting is where a well regulated militia supercedes the same right that shall not be infringed.
I responded to this sort of inquiry in the past. C&S just doesn't read stuff if it makes inroads on his capacity to rant.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Can you define a machine gun?

Of course it can be defined, indeed has been in legislation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_w ... ted_States

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Grammatically, the simplified sentence reads: A well regulated militia shall not be infringed.

The two clauses explain that assertion.

The militia, I'd argue, needs to be "well regulated" and is necessary to the security of the free State (as opposed to personal security), so the "people" (in such a well regulated militia) need to be able to "keep and bear arms".

It leaves entirely open what all that means, but it certainly does NOT mean that anyone, for any purpose, can have any sort of weapon, unrestrained by regulation on how, when, where it can be stored, carried and used.

It's problematic, because the meaning and intent is left muddy by the authors, necessitating a process of ongoing regulation as capabilities and situations have evolved... and restraint upon same by the courts. Judicial review.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/10/11539779 ... nce-report

In addition to Cradle's strong stance on heavy penalties for weapons used in crimes, I'd start with the premise that most illegal guns were at some time legal. I also acknowledge some of my terminology below might be incorrect (years ago I was admonished for using clip and not magazine) but I believe my intent with each suggestion is obvious. My opinion is obviously based on my experience. I'm not a gun owner, but enjoy shooting the various hand guns and rifles owned by my son, daughter-in-law, and son-in-law. I've only target shot - never at a breathing thing. With that in mind.....

Lengthen the time period between ownership application and actual acquisition from days to months. All acquisition methods - private, gun show, retail - must go through the same process.

To reduce the possibility of guns getting in the wrong hands, guns of any type, and their magazines, should be registered annually and be presented for physical verification of the owner's possession at time of registration. Any guns registered must have an acceptable locking device attached to prevent undesired firing. All weapons must be reported immediately if lost or stolen. There should be strong penalties for not registering and not reporting a loss.

Legal liability to manufacturers and gun owners (and criminal liability to gun owners who have not reported a weapon stolen) if their weapon is used in a crime.

Magazines for any weapon restricted to a reasonable number (six to ten?) Magazines registered annually. Federal buyback/tax rebate program to retrieve larger size magazines. Make all attachments used to increase the speed at which a weapon can be fired illegal. Henceforth all manufactured weapons can only deliver one bullet per trigger pull regardless of magazine size.

Federal buyback/destruction program for all weapons/magazines. If you want to no longer be a gun owner the federal government should be happy to buy it back from you.

Gun parts required to fire a weapon (not including, for example, a scope) can only be manufactured by registered manufacturers. No more weapon parts through home printing.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

In this country we have 120 guns for every 100 people. This means there are many, many firearms in the possession of people who a) shouldn't be allowed to possess them; b) possess them with no clue how to safely use them or who mentally shouldn't be allowed near a firearm and c) who have acquired them illegally because they are so readily available. Yesterday's nutcase was charged with felony illegal handgun possession and the charge was plead down to a misdemeanor and sentenced to probation. As soon as he came off probation, he then bought two handguns one of which he used in last night's shooting. Not to mention his recent mental issues well known to his immediate family.

There is no sane reason that any civilized society should have this many lethal weapons in circulation but the companies who manufacture and distribute these weapons in conjunction with their cronies at the NRA, related legal proponents who have long twisted the true meaning of the Second Amendment and elected officials upon whom they lavish cash upon to remain in office got us here and frankly should be held accountable in some fashion for the current situation. As they say, we deserve what we get by electing and re-electing these people over and over.

It is only February 14 and there have already been 77 mass shooting events killing 129 people and injuring 290 in this country.

https://massshootingtracker.site/data/?year=2023

Why do profits of gun manufacturers take precedence over the safety and well being of citizens? Shannon Watts has it right
"And don’t bother telling me it’s too early to “politicize” the Michigan State University mass shooting. In a nation that allows gun lobbyists to write our gun laws, shootings are always political. Prayers without action aren’t fixing this. ACT. We don't have to live like this. We don't have to DIE like this"

Absolutely NUTS that a survivor of the Sandy Hook massacre 10 years ago, now a student at MSU had to experience her SECOND mass shooting at age 20.

Florida (the place where 15 HS students were murdered 5 years ago) legislature is about to pass a concealed carry, no permit or training handgun law. What could go wrong?
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:24 pm
I responded to this sort of inquiry in the past. C&S just doesn't read stuff if it makes inroads on his capacity to rant.
What I said counselor is not a rant. I have no idea how you responded to similar inquiries in the past. I asked you about the here and now. If you are incapable of formulating a rational response then just say so. I won't hold it against you. I'll repeat my question to you in a rant free tone. :D Here we go... This is an open and rant free question free for anybody to respond to. The 2nd amendment is based on a well regulated militia. The 2nd amendment clearly states the right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed. In my rant free opinion the definition of a well regulated militia in correlation to the right to bare arms not being infringed creates a conundrum that we try to address via common sense gun laws. If you want a swing at it counselor how do you define common sense gun laws?? I think NYS has taken a rational if not flawed attempt at trying to do so. If you want to focus on what my rants do involve you need look no further than the half ass approach how we deal with illegal weapons. That is where after all counselor the well regulated aspect of common sense gun laws go to hell in a hand basket.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:30 pm Absolutely NUTS that a survivor of the Sandy Hook massacre 10 years ago, now a student at MSU had to experience her SECOND mass shooting at age 20.
There were also Oxford High School grads at MSU. I'm sure grads from some other school shooting schools too. Gonna be more and more common to have people endure multiple school shootings in their lives.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:49 pm
Kismet wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:30 pm Absolutely NUTS that a survivor of the Sandy Hook massacre 10 years ago, now a student at MSU had to experience her SECOND mass shooting at age 20.
There were also Oxford High School grads at MSU. I'm sure grads from some other school shooting schools too. Gonna be more and more common to have people endure multiple school shootings in their lives.
It’s completely nuts. Years of an effective gun lobby.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:27 am
More guns or doing nothing guns is the answer.
Everyone gets shot in the a**!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It's b/c we have more people, so clearly the stats will go up. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:22 am It's b/c we have more people, so clearly the stats will go up. ;)
Obviously guns per capita has been trending down as our population grows…..
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:06 pm China will be ready: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CosjNXjA ... kzY2Y1YTY=
Nice. The stuff you allow into your brain is really something.
Typical Lax Dad

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:12 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:06 pm China will be ready: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CosjNXjA ... kzY2Y1YTY=
Nice. The stuff you allow into your brain is really something.
He’s just putting it out there…. I may be dumber for having clicked on that link. Good example of tripe that YA enjoys while sipping bourbon.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Man I guess Tupac’s Me and My Girlfriend finally caught on nationwide given the weekly shootings these days.

6 dead in Mississippi town shooting, suspect arrested

Sareen Habeshian
Six people were fatally shot Friday in the rural Mississippi town of Arkabutla and a suspect has been taken into custody, according to local authorities.

Driving the news: Police have arrested and charged 52-year-old Richard Dale Crum of Arkabutla with first-degree murder "in connection with this case," the local sheriff's office said in a statement.

"Additional charges, for each of the other victims, will be filed in the coming days," per the Tate County Sheriff's Office. Crum is being held in county jail without bond.
"The investigation is ongoing and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has been asked to assist in the matter," the state's Public Safety Department said.
Details: Arkabutla is a small, unincorporated community located about 45 miles south of Memphis, Tenn.

"At this time, we believe he acted alone," Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves said of the suspect. "His motive is not yet known."
Of note: A nearby elementary school and a high school were temporarily put on lockdown due to "an active shooter on the loose from Arkabutla," the Coldwater Elementary School wrote on its Facebook page.

The lockdown was lifted a short time later and all students and staff were deemed safe.
The Tate County Sheriff’s Office did not immediately respond to Axios' request for information.
The big picture: This marks the third mass shooting in Mississippi so far this year, according to data from Gun Violence Archive.

The research group defines a mass shooting as a situation in which at least four people are shot and either injured or killed, not including the shooter.
Editor's note: This story has been updated with information from police about the suspect and charges.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

"Texas 3rd Grader Finds Gun Superintendent Left in School Bathroom, Police Open Investigation. he superintendent at Rising Star Elementary School told a Texas news station that he had left his gun in a stall while using the bathroom

A third-grader at Rising Star Elementary School found a gun left by the school's superintendent in a restroom stall last month, and now a police investigation is underway, per Texas news station KTAB-TV.

The incident happened in the small town of Rising Star, Texas. The school's superintendent Robby Stuteville — who openly carries a firearm at the school, along with the principal — told the news station that he had taken off the gun while using the restroom and put it on the stall."

https://people.com/crime/texas-3rd-grad ... urlbuttons

I guess open carry doesn't work well when you're sitting on the toilet. :oops:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:05 am "Texas 3rd Grader Finds Gun Superintendent Left in School Bathroom, Police Open Investigation. he superintendent at Rising Star Elementary School told a Texas news station that he had left his gun in a stall while using the bathroom

A third-grader at Rising Star Elementary School found a gun left by the school's superintendent in a restroom stall last month, and now a police investigation is underway, per Texas news station KTAB-TV.

The incident happened in the small town of Rising Star, Texas. The school's superintendent Robby Stuteville — who openly carries a firearm at the school, along with the principal — told the news station that he had taken off the gun while using the restroom and put it on the stall."

Wish he had shot his d**k off for the risk of harm he caused others. Clearly shouldn’t be a parent or around children unattended.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:08 am
Kismet wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:05 am "Texas 3rd Grader Finds Gun Superintendent Left in School Bathroom, Police Open Investigation. he superintendent at Rising Star Elementary School told a Texas news station that he had left his gun in a stall while using the bathroom

Wish he had shot his d**k off for the risk of harm he caused others. Clearly shouldn’t be a parent or around children unattended.
He's the school superintendent. Kinda hard to avoid kids. :oops:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

.. the China is horrible and doesn't do anything right crowd has found something they like about China. :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”