All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:05 pm We recall that February 1 Denmark relaxed all mandates and social distancing requirements. Their numbers were moving in the right direction. 3 weeks later the numbers are moving in the wrong direction and the Danish Women's soccer team has withdrawn from the Algrave Cup tournament as a number of team members have comedown with COVID. Denmark's numbers are going up as the BA.2 variant has become dominant in Denmark.
BA.2 has been detected in 74 countries and 47 U.S. states, but experts are keeping a close eye on Denmark, where it’s now responsible for nearly 90% of new COVID cases, as it has fueled a second omicron surge.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer ... uxbndlbing
If we’re unlikely to get to critical mass then don’t we have to accept
Ebbs and flows and some degree of risk? Is your position we need a zero contraction level in order to remove mask mandates? What level
Of cost is acceptable? I view it through the lens of my young kids socialization on psyche and how this impacts them under the presumption that masks are temporal and have an endpoint. Under that baseline I think the cost is starting to outweigh the benefit. What’s your position?

BTW I vote zero in poll because folks I know taken down by the virus would have found it wildly disrespectful to their families to politicize the loss of a members life.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:43 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:32 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:05 pm We recall that February 1 Denmark relaxed all mandates and social distancing requirements. Their numbers were moving in the right direction. 3 weeks later the numbers are moving in the wrong direction and the Danish Women's soccer team has withdrawn from the Algrave Cup tournament as a number of team members have comedown with COVID. Denmark's numbers are going up as the BA.2 variant has become dominant in Denmark.
BA.2 has been detected in 74 countries and 47 U.S. states, but experts are keeping a close eye on Denmark, where it’s now responsible for nearly 90% of new COVID cases, as it has fueled a second omicron surge.
i think most people would take denmark's results.
80% fully vaxxed.
0.2% case fatality rate.

my boys at ihme have their infections down 50% already, hospitalization has turned south and deaths are supposed to like now.
as far as one mitigation easing, they have them at 13% masks vs a high of 18% in early feb. after they were around 1% for months late in 2021.

if there's another surge coming shortly, it'll have to fight the declines already happening.
If we were at .2% things would be much different. Maybe we will get there. 2% right now and hopefully we see it decline rapidly.
your go to has it at 1.2%
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:52 pm
80% fully vaxxed.
0.2% case fatality rate.

my boys at ihme have their infections down 50% already, hospitalization has turned south and deaths are supposed to like now.
as far as one mitigation easing, they have them at 13% masks vs a high of 18% in early feb. after they were around 1% for months late in 2021.

if there's another surge coming shortly, it'll have to fight the declines already happening.
If we were at .2% things would be much different. Maybe we will get there. 2% right now and hopefully we see it decline rapidly.
What is 963,595 / 53,163,424?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:22 pm
80% fully vaxxed.
0.2% case fatality rate.

1.81%
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:46 pm
Ebbs and flows and some degree of risk? Is your position we need a zero contraction level in order to remove mask mandates? What level
Of cost is acceptable? I view it through the lens of my young kids socialization on psyche and how this impacts them under the presumption that masks are temporal and have an endpoint. Under that baseline I think the cost is starting to outweigh the benefit. What’s your position?

BTW I vote zero in poll because folks I know taken down by the virus would have found it wildly disrespectful to their families to politicize the loss of a members life.
... I am only reporting the news. Don't have a position. It is what it is. It is better than it was 3 months ago. I think it is going to be hard to put the the defensive measures back in place if we need them. Hopefully we won't. The article I posted a few days ago about the long term efficacy of the vaccines and the really amazing T and B cell behaviors over time gives a lot of hope. We will see.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:22 pm What is 963,595 / 53,163,424?
Where are you getting the 53,263,424?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:24 pm
80% fully vaxxed.
0.2% case fatality rate.

1.81%
Thanks. It was rounded up to 2%. Denmark was .2% from the same “reference” (which isn’t the same as “go to” BTW).
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:22 pm What is 963,595 / 53,163,424?
Where are you getting the 53,263,424?
Some guy on the internet.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 pm
80% fully vaxxed.
0.2% case fatality rate.

1.81%
Thanks. It was rounded up to 2%. Denmark was .2% from the same “reference” (which isn’t the same as “go to” BTW).
i forgot you like cases to be closed. maybe when we have a different health system. and hopefully those other 27 million people are ok!

my ihme guys had over 100 million cases estimated between mid jan and mid feb '22 alone. at least directional. seems probable omicron is less lethal on a per case basis, thankfully. we'll see whether there's immunity out of that for a while.

all of son's three roomies have it now. all feeling really awful, but hopefully not serious cases.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:56 pm
80% fully vaxxed.
0.2% case fatality rate.

1.81%
i forgot you like cases to be closed. maybe when we have a different health system. and hopefully those other 27 million people are ok!

my ihme guys had over 100 million cases estimated between mid jan and mid feb '22 alone. at least directional. seems probable omicron is less lethal on a per case basis, thankfully. we'll see whether there's immunity out of that for a while.

all of son's three roomies have it now. all feeling really awful, but hopefully not serious cases.
I can’t go by cases that aren’t closed yet. What if they all die.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:28 pm

... I am only reporting the news. Don't have a position. It is what it is. It is better than it was 3 months ago. I think it is going to be hard to put the the defensive measures back in place if we need them. Hopefully we won't. The article I posted a few days ago about the long term efficacy of the vaccines and the really amazing T and B cell behaviors over time gives a lot of hope. We will see.
Fair enough. Guess I wonder when people put up stories or oped pieces but don’t want to take positions. Agreed it’s going to be hard to put back in place but also think there ha to be room for a discussion of cost benefit and something other than zero tolerance.

Two years in and I have 7&9yr olds. The seven year old has had maybe 3mo of public schooling where she hasn’t had to have a mask on all the time effectively. I can’t imagine her going through all of elementary school under that condition if we aren’t all going to have to wear masks for the rest of our lives but that’s what a cohort would think or position the argument to be. Not you here it appears but that group very much exists.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:16 pm

Fair enough. Guess I wonder when people put up stories or oped pieces but don’t want to take positions. Agreed it’s going to be hard to put back in place but also think there ha to be room for a discussion of cost benefit and something other than zero tolerance.

Two years in and I have 7&9yr olds. The seven year old has had maybe 3mo of public schooling where she hasn’t had to have a mask on all the time effectively. I can’t imagine her going through all of elementary school under that condition if we aren’t all going to have to wear masks for the rest of our lives but that’s what a cohort would think or position the argument to be. Not you here it appears but that group very much exists.
I believe as cases come down in communities, we will get somewhere back to normal. If only 40,000-50,000 people are dying a year, it will be a none issue. If there was is chance that the spread may get out of control, we will implement mitigation efforts. It’s the price of being human. We have actually been lucky this thing was deadlier and we had been conducting research along the way. I don’t see kids being required to wear masks for much longer if cases keep heading down. Has it been documented that kids can’t spread the virus? I haven’t read anything.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:43 pm

I believe as cases come down in communities, we will get somewhere back to normal. If only 40,000-50,000 people are dying a year, it will be a none issue. If there was is chance that the spread may get out of control, we will implement mitigation efforts. It’s the price of being human. We have actually been lucky this thing was NOT deadlier and we had been conducting research along the way. I don’t see kids being required to wear masks for much longer if cases keep heading down. Has it been documented that kids can’t spread the virus? I haven’t read anything.
I'm sure you meant to include the word I added in red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I believe as cases come down in communities, we will get somewhere back to normal. If only 40,000-50,000 people are dying a year, it will be a none issue. If there was is chance that the spread may get out of control, we will implement mitigation efforts. It’s the price of being human. We have actually been lucky this thing was deadlier and we had been conducting research along the way. I don’t see kids being required to wear masks for much longer if cases keep heading down. Has it been documented that kids can’t spread the virus? I haven’t read anything.
Been zero positive tests for a week or more straight at my kids school. Even before it was mostly 0s and an occasional 1-2 day.

At this stage take them off and if we need to go back it won’t be the parents in my school district fighting it both ways.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:50 pm

I believe as cases come down in communities, we will get somewhere back to normal. If only 40,000-50,000 people are dying a year, it will be a none issue. If there was is chance that the spread may get out of control, we will implement mitigation efforts. It’s the price of being human. We have actually been lucky this thing was NOT deadlier and we had been conducting research along the way. I don’t see kids being required to wear masks for much longer if cases keep heading down. Has it been documented that kids can’t spread the virus? I haven’t read anything.
I'm sure you meant to include the word I added in red.
Thanks! That’s right!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:07 pm

Been zero positive tests for a week or more straight at my kids school. Even before it was mostly 0s and an occasional 1-2 day.

At this stage take them off and if we need to go back it won’t be the parents in my school district fighting it both ways.
Hopefully it’s over (mask requirement) March 1st. Do you know what positivity rate is throughout the entire school district?

Saw this (different state): https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlo ... s-optional

https://districtadministration.com/trac ... -by-state/
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... at my age, position and life style, I don't much care, from a personal perspective require mask, don't require mask. I can live with it either way. I am 5 years away from grand children having to deal with it. Personally I will continue to wear an N95 when inside a public space that is crowded, until things become more clear. Medical treatment facilities will likely continue with required masking for the foreseeable future. As long as BA.2 is around, I will also be a little more circumspect about where I go. Will definitely avoid crowds, but then I always have.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t care for myself, it’s a annoyance but I really am only looking at them. Parental anxiety and paranoia I guess over what I haven’t done for them already.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:38 pm I don’t care for myself, it’s a annoyance but I really am only looking at them. Parental anxiety and paranoia I guess over what I haven’t done for them already.
... I feel the same way about my granddaughter.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:38 pm I don’t care for myself, it’s a annoyance but I really am only looking at them. Parental anxiety and paranoia I guess over what I haven’t done for them already.
I feel bad for the little kids but I have always found that things bother the parents more than the kids. Kids go on with life.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”