All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:04 pm you're a smart guy. do you believe we have missed as many deaths as a % as we've missed covid cases or are you just trying to drive me crazy?

i used deaths as an example. i'm aware there are other possible issues. or at least now i am?
I can’t count what I don’t know. Those people not counted could have had the flu for all I know. The juvenile excess death amount is negligible. 20 yrs and under is 0.4% of COVID-19 deaths.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:04 pm you're a smart guy. do you believe we have missed as many deaths as a % as we've missed covid cases or are you just trying to drive me crazy?

i used deaths as an example. i'm aware there are other possible issues. or at least now i am?
I can’t count what I don’t know. Those people not counted could have had the flu for all I know. The juvenile excess death amount is negligible. 20 yrs and under is 0.4% of COVID-19 deaths.
they've studied it. you love studies.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 pm

No, you do.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:24 pm

No, you do.
the cdc says 0 to 17 year olds have been less than 0.1% of deaths, not 0.4.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm
didn't see their study on it.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:28 pm

No, you do.
.4 = 40%…..6ft Stick didn’t know the difference. 0.4% is relatively negligible….0.1% even more so.

https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:32 pm

No, you do.
.4 = 40%…..6ft Stick didn’t know the difference. 0.4% is relatively negligible….0.1% even more so.

kids in the u.s. must be really healthy. silver lining.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:38 pm

No, you do.

I’ll take it. Could have been worse. 100,000 dead kids and nobody would be talking about “it’s a new drug”… “it is Emergecy Use Authorized”… “what’s going to happen in 10 years”…. “The government can’t tell me to vaccinate my kid”… “junior can build his natural immunity”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:43 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:38 pm

No, you do.

I’ll take it. Could have been worse. 100,000 dead kids and nobody would be talking about “it’s a new drug”… “it is Emergecy Use Authorized”… “what’s going to happen in 10 years”…. “The government can’t tell me to vaccinate my kid”… “junior can build his natural immunity”
all true. but... the internet.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

New research on BA.2 variant (omicron v2) by Japanese researchers is not good news. New evidence that it may lead to more severe disease than BA.1 and is more contagious which has been known for some time. They think it is not as closely related to BA.1 as earlier thought and should have its own variant name (Greek letter). It is resistant too the monoclonal antibody used to treat BA.1 and it does have the ability to defeat vaccines.

Another take on the story.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:51 am New research on BA.2 variant (omicron v2) by Japanese researchers is not good news. New evidence that it may lead to more severe disease than BA.1 and is more contagious which has been known for some time. They think it is not as closely related to BA.1 as earlier thought and should have its own variant name (Greek letter). It is resistant too the monoclonal antibody used to treat BA.1 and it does have the ability to defeat vaccines.

Similar to the original Omicron, BA.2 was capable of breaking through antibodies in the blood of people who'd been vaccinated against Covid-19. It was also resistant to the antibodies of people who'd been infected with Covid-19 early in the pandemic, including Alpha and Delta. And BA.2 was almost completely resistant to some monoclonal antibody treatments.

But there was a bright spot: Antibodies in the blood of people who'd recently had Omicron also seemed to have some protection against BA.2, especially if they'd also been vaccinated.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Bart

Post by Bart »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:50 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:51 am New research on BA.2 variant (omicron v2) by Japanese researchers is not good news. New evidence that it may lead to more severe disease than BA.1 and is more contagious which has been known for some time. They think it is not as closely related to BA.1 as earlier thought and should have its own variant name (Greek letter). It is resistant too the monoclonal antibody used to treat BA.1 and it does have the ability to defeat vaccines.

Similar to the original Omicron, BA.2 was capable of breaking through antibodies in the blood of people who'd been vaccinated against Covid-19. It was also resistant to the antibodies of people who'd been infected with Covid-19 early in the pandemic, including Alpha and Delta. And BA.2 was almost completely resistant to some monoclonal antibody treatments.

But there was a bright spot: Antibodies in the blood of people who'd recently had Omicron also seemed to have some protection against BA.2, especially if they'd also been vaccinated.
Not the best of news. However, these studies look almost solely on the Ab response and not the cellular response. It bears watching for certain.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Some data on cumulative deaths sorted by Trump voting percentage versus time. It is clear the effects of vaccination, and it is also clear that the deaths are now disproportionately affecting Trumpist areas.

It is also clear that given the rural/urban divide in where you find red/blue voters, early on in the pandemic the biggest impact were on D areas, now it is clearly the R areas.

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:00 am Jordam Klepper visits the freedumb truckers.

Klepper to his credit found a funny angle during the Trump years, but here in Canada, he’s a wellspring of misinformation.

He attempts to mock a trucker who is comparing modern day Canada to Nazi Germany. Jordan is unaware that Trudeau suspended civil liberties, giving police the power without warrant to unilaterally seize bank accounts of people suspected simply of donating to the truckers cause (the truckers are easier fodder for Trudeau…here, we are simply talking people who donated!). To revoke private insurance for a truck, no reason given. To arrest demonstrators without due process (sounds similar of course to 1-6 detainees).

Imagine if Trump had unilaterally seized bank accounts of BLM supporters in the summer of 2020…can you begin to imagine the outrage? He could have seized $30 billion from Soros. No reason given. No proof needed. Just call the bank and tell the bank to seize the property and send it to wherever the police demand. Imagine the howls of outrage.

And the outrage would have been justified. Governments should never have the powers to suspend civil liberties and empower unelected police to simply seize bank accounts (incidentally, imagine you’re ‘the guy’ innocently caught up in an unconstitutional dragnet, as always occurs, trying to get your accounts set up again once the dust settles…he’s hosed for life, and I promise Trudeau personally won’t make that guy whole).

In America, I see the suspension of basic civil liberties as eminently possible because most Democrats are on board with doing it already; you don’t need to look further than the poll showing over half of Democrats want to imprison the unvaccinated and remove their children from their house. Doesn’t that scare anyone, that we have over half of this country who have no belief in individual civil liberties?

So, before guys like jhu72 crow about how “effective” a guy like Trudeau is, one day when your guy isn’t ‘in power’, which surely will occur, you’ll regret not criticizing those moves today because you’ll have no leg to stand on then when you complain about that ‘fascist’ seizing your bank account simply because you stand on the other side of a political divide.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

No reason given, but in reality the truckers are basically shutting down the city now for days. The price for civil disobedience has always been the exposure to jail, court, fines, etc.

And it is Canadian law, politics, etc. that make the situation there somewhat different than in the US. The level of support for the protesters is rather small...so there is little pushback in Canada with getting tough and removing the truckers by certain means beyond what you might see in the US.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Another way to look at the COVID divide:

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 am No reason given, but in reality the truckers are basically shutting down the city now for days. The price for civil disobedience has always been the exposure to jail, court, fines, etc.

And it is Canadian law, politics, etc. that make the situation there somewhat different than in the US. The level of support for the protesters is rather small...so there is little pushback in Canada with getting tough and removing the truckers by certain means beyond what you might see in the US.

Your points would be more potent if Trudeau was consistent with his actions.

He sided so consistently with the marches and riots of 2020, stating time and again how civil disobedience and outright destruction was a fundamental right of Canadian citizens. It appears as if those rights are there only if you agree with him. The truckers aren’t causing any damage other than a very few road closures.

He’s had nothing to say about this Antifa crime on the truckers:

https://nypost.com/2022/02/08/canada-tr ... d-zegarac/

Meanwhile 20 ax-wielding environmental wacko Antifa in British Columbia just marched the other night onto a worksite in Canada and damaged millions of dollars of equipment because principles or something. Trudeau won’t comment.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... -equipment

Check out the damage.

As we coddle the left, they only grow more bold.

All undesired action has an opposite reaction, and what happens next will make Trump blush. The next leader won’t fiddle. He or she will take no prisoners. You can see this happening in real time all over the world. And it’s a direct result of humoring the left rather than confronting them. I’m starting to agree with MD about the eventual outcome, though we disagree as to the reasons.
Last edited by Peter Brown on Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:18 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:00 am Jordam Klepper visits the freedumb truckers.

Klepper to his credit found a funny angle during the Trump years, but here in Canada, he’s a wellspring of misinformation.

He attempts to mock a trucker who is comparing modern day Canada to Nazi Germany. Jordan is unaware that Trudeau suspended civil liberties, giving police the power without warrant to unilaterally seize bank accounts of people suspected simply of donating to the truckers cause (the truckers are easier fodder for Trudeau…here, we are simply talking people who donated!). To revoke private insurance for a truck, no reason given. To arrest demonstrators without due process (sounds similar of course to 1-6 detainees).

Imagine if Trump had unilaterally seized bank accounts of BLM supporters in the summer of 2020…can you begin to imagine the outrage? He could have seized $30 billion from Soros. No reason given. No proof needed. Just call the bank and tell the bank to seize the property and send it to wherever the police demand. Imagine the howls of outrage.

And the outrage would have been justified. Governments should never have the powers to suspend civil liberties and empower unelected police to simply seize bank accounts (incidentally, imagine you’re ‘the guy’ innocently caught up in an unconstitutional dragnet, as always occurs, trying to get your accounts set up again once the dust settles…he’s hosed for life, and I promise Trudeau personally won’t make that guy whole).

In America, I see the suspension of basic civil liberties as eminently possible because most Democrats are on board with doing it already; you don’t need to look further than the poll showing over half of Democrats want to imprison the unvaccinated and remove their children from their house. Doesn’t that scare anyone, that we have over half of this country who have no belief in individual civil liberties?

So, before guys like jhu72 crow about how “effective” a guy like Trudeau is, one day when your guy isn’t ‘in power’, which surely will occur, you’ll regret not criticizing those moves today because you’ll have no leg to stand on then when you complain about that ‘fascist’ seizing your bank account simply because you stand on the other side of a political divide.
... whine from the hypocrite :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:15 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:18 am

... whine from the hypocrite :roll:

So you’re good with the state seizing bank accounts of folks who contribute to a cause? No warrant, no proof necessary? The cause is unimportant, the actions are.

Just want to know where you stand on things.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:42 am No reason given, but in reality the truckers are basically shutting down the city now for days. The price for civil disobedience has always been the exposure to jail, court, fines, etc.

Not just days, weeks. Affecting peoples' livelihoods, supply chains, and regional economies.

Lots of rights go bye bye when criminals create a state of Emergency.

And don't forget there are actual Nazis with Nazi flags in the convoy.

Return to “POLITICS”