All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Climate Change & The Environment: A Green New Deal

Post by youthathletics »

This kind of potential has been in the works, long before wind turbines. The crux was how to actually utilize them safely and extract the energy to land. Hope it bears fruit, before one of those props kills an endangered species or a dolphin washes up on shore from getting butchered by the prop.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:46 am This kind of potential has been in the works, long before wind turbines. The crux was how to actually utilize them safely and extract the energy to land. Hope it bears fruit, before one of those props kills an endangered species or a dolphin washes up on shore from getting butchered by the prop.
Why did the Myans, and all their science, go silent?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:57 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:46 am This kind of potential has been in the works, long before wind turbines. The crux was how to actually utilize them safely and extract the energy to land. Hope it bears fruit, before one of those props kills an endangered species or a dolphin washes up on shore from getting butchered by the prop.
Why did the Myans, and all their science, go silent?
First need to figure out where they Mayans went.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:32 pm New York Becomes The First State To Divest From Oil And Gas

Baby steps...

had those burritos for dinner last night, i was one new yorker divesting in gas bigtime. :D
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:51 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:32 pm New York Becomes The First State To Divest From Oil And Gas

Baby steps...

had those burritos for dinner last night, i was one new yorker divesting in gas bigtime. :D
GOOD one, Cranky! :lol: :lol:

Then, you let out some more gas in written form here at FL... :D

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:56 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:51 pm

Baby steps...

GOOD one, Cranky! :lol: :lol:

Then, you let out some more gas in written form here at FL... :D

It is good to know King Andy is saving our state. There may not be anybody left living here, but the state will be just fine and dandy. King Andy will be able to annex central and western ny and make it all part of the adirondacks.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Man made mass now out weighs all life on earth for the first time ever. The trend will continue.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:16 pm Man made mass now out weighs all life on earth for the first time ever. The trend will continue.
Interesting concept to track. Wonder how they actually accomplish that, since everything on our planet, actually comes from our planet. Yes, I get that we make things that can have more mass then when they are just separate ingredients. Concrete is actually lighter after it dries.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:24 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:16 pm Man made mass now out weighs all life on earth for the first time ever. The trend will continue.
Interesting concept to track. Wonder how they actually accomplish that, since everything on our planet, actually comes from our planet. Yes, I get that we make things that can have more mass then when they are just separate ingredients. Concrete is actually lighter after it dries.
That’s an interesting concept. Zero sum. Might be something to it. I am going to look into it. The article does make the distinction between man made mass and living organisms versus increased total mass. But I am going to look further into it. It’s interesting.

Is concrete lighter due to evaporation? And water drying?

EDIT: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16787636
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

A little off topic.

A speculation seems to be true. Scientist have been speculating for decades that something like this might be going on. Other researchers have noted the periodicity, but this is the first (I believe) to correlate with a combination of impactors and non-impactor volcanism.

Historical Biology Paper
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

My son was just studying lightcurve periods of asteroids that are in close proximity to earth, using date from the University of Arizona Bok 2.3 meter telescope. Fascinating stuff.

Neat little fun game that shows how it’s done: http://www.killerasteroids.org/interact ... tcurveweb/
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:38 pm My son was just studying lightcurve periods of asteroids that are in close proximity to earth, using date from the University of Arizona Bok 2.3 meter telescope. Fascinating stuff.

Neat little fun game that shows how it’s done: http://www.killerasteroids.org/interact ... tcurveweb/
Thanks for posting that.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.capitalgazette.com/environm ... story.html

Interesting article about the plan to elevate the City Dock area of downtown Annapolis & heighten the sea wall around the Naval Academy & the impact on the adjoining area.

A preview of the coming elevate or relocate dilemma in coastal areas.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:07 pm https://www.capitalgazette.com/environm ... story.html

Interesting article about the plan to elevate the City Dock area of downtown Annapolis & heighten the sea wall around the Naval Academy & the impact on the adjoining area.

Neat, and frankly unbelievable story, of doing this in Chicago 100+ years ago....

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Live Free or Die!
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:51 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:24 pm
That’s an interesting concept. Zero sum. Might be something to it. I am going to look into it. The article does make the distinction between man made mass and living organisms versus increased total mass. But I am going to look further into it. It’s interesting.

Is concrete lighter due to evaporation? And water drying?

EDIT: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16787636
can't you all see it IS all just part of teaching the doctrine. ??

Where human life, or lives, becomes known in the "speak speak" Orwellian world, as "mass". And, let us no forget, even Al Gore made strong, very strong, mention of the PROBLEM that IS all this additional MAN made, um...."mass". So, now, other humans become cocktail party "quick uNhuh" facts: you know, the kind of facts where everyone bobbs their head in approval, uttering, or rather mumbling, "ahah", or "herehere", instead comes out as "uhNNHuhnn"

"...did you hear?" using the pause to engulf the seared sea kelp and urchin app, " man has made more mass than ever. I mean, there is more man made crap, on earth...."
which leads to indoctrinating people into......

Obviously, you have to practice your lines better, why that Cop story from "R.dogs" was so important to get , just, right.

sZ
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:42 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:07 pm https://www.capitalgazette.com/environm ... story.html

Neat, and frankly unbelievable story, of doing this in Chicago 100+ years ago....

Ask ABV 8.3% about it....he loves talking about the water underneath the buildings in Boston....he seent it. I always imagine 8.3% on the Its a Small World ride at Disney.

“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Baby steps...

In the wrong direction, IMO. Divestment is a purely performative action that does absolutely nothing to reduce fossil fuel consumption.

IMO progressives should be buying oil company stock, and then taking action as shareholders to redirect the companies.

Return to “POLITICS”