D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 pm
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:10 am

Reality #6: Millman needs to learn how to recruit in todays world of privileged kids. Toomey at Loyola seems to always find diamonds in the rough. He knows how to talk to kids and their parents. I was one of them. The parents and kids I’ve talked to just don’t like Millman. They guys on the team don’t like him as a whole. He comes off like a prick.

Very similar to Myers at OSU. Screamers.
Myers got Jack Myers - a leading Player of the Year contender.
Myers got a leading Canuck box/field player to re-commit to OSU for next year (much crying on my part).
He's been getting transfers in.

Screamer or no, he's getting the talent in.
The post clearly has a contemporary boots on the ground perspective which appears reasonable even if not shared by all.

Question is overall has Myers done better or worse than Breschi in consideration of the platform they were working with and other variables like conference affiliation.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:51 am
flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:37 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:18 am
flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:06 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:51 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am It was pretty obvious he was one of our best players in the Covid shortened year. That's all I need to know and no one at the Cordish center gets or deserves a pass on this one.
Sorry - I missed this one first time around - so this means that as long as you are a great lacrosse player - no standards of rules or behavior apply? So star mid-fielder Blauman can go around stabbing people and he gets a pass? Boys will be boys? This is absurd.
If you don’t think PM standard of conduct for players since his arrival has been inconsistent you have ZERO idea of what’s gone on there. While I’m not there everyday I’ve talked to enough people involved with the program and those that are that the shifting conduct expectations has been an issue.
My "all I need to know" comment referred to the entirety of my statement before that. You are cherry picking. The fact that UMD took him in speaks volumes. They would not have done that with any kind of serious issue.
Anyway, given what we know and have seen so far, it's hard to dismiss the volume of negative info that's appearing on our board.
To be clear my comment was directed toward 51
My comment was also directed at 51, sorry about the confusion.
Frankly, PM just plain scares me. I think we would have been much better off with Marr concerning recruits, transfers, and the roster overall.
The players also wanted Marr. If you go out on a limb with a hire, you better have results to show for it and so far they've been middling ~.500 or worse. The rest of the season projects to be about the same. I guess we'll see but it's hard to be optimistic at this point.
Hop may have money but the buyout to compensate for his pension plan at Albany makes Marr basically unhireable. Forget ability, he’s have to get a easy 7 figure guarantee however it’s structured to tradeoff what he’s be giving up by continuing to accrue under his current state employment deal at what 20yrs now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:10 pm Odd knit to pick. Like you're not wrong but what would have actually been the point in the middle of 2020? No one you potentially needed to see or talk to in this situation was actually "in Baltimore" and none of us were really supposed to be "accepting visitors".
The case was built partially on the need to communicate via a poor form in terms of transmission. If he realized it was important to be in person that wasn’t an obstacle.

If the predicate that it isn’t important overall to be in person then making the case that he couldn’t is superfluous and leads one to question the rest of the argument doesn’t it?

So don’t add that element and the case is cleaner.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:18 pm
Formerhound

Reality #6: Millman needs to learn how to recruit in todays world of privileged kids. Toomey at Loyola seems to always find diamonds in the rough. He knows how to talk to kids and their parents. I was one of them. The parents and kids I’ve talked to just don’t like Millman. They guys on the team don’t like him as a whole. He comes off like a prick.

Myers got a leading Canuck box/field player to re-commit to OSU for next year (much crying on my part).

The post clearly has a contemporary boots on the ground perspective which appears reasonable even if not shared by all.

Question is overall has Myers done better or worse than Breschi in consideration of the platform they were working with and other variables like conference affiliation.
No idea.
That’a a question for OSU lax fans and alum.
I know he got them to the finals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:18 pm
Formerhound

No idea.
That’a a question for OSU lax fans and alum.
I know he got them to the finals.
Trying to make up for years of HTHs on LP.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HTH -
the patent for that is with ??

I think its JHU65-69 (assuming I have the user name correct).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://utahutes.com/news/2023/2/23/uta ... pkins.aspx

the view from Utah. Game starts at 10am their time so hopefully the guys can get a fast start while the Majeruses are waking up. 370 faceoff percentage, 9 goals given up on man down.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Score predictions for the Utah game?
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

You got an injury report for our side? ;) Hard to opine if we've got question marks at attack and goal.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:03 pm Score predictions for the Utah game?
Jays 14
Utes 8
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:27 pm HTH -
the patent for that is with ??

I think its JHU65-69 (assuming I have the user name correct).
Good dude. I’m sure he’d allow a little infringement.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:48 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:45 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am I don't know the details of his circumstances
then shut up

If that was a criteria the page total in this thread and others would be reduced
criterion . C'mon college grad?
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
molo

Post by molo »

STEM?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:49 am Final thought on the idea that Milliman "ran off" recruits. The contention seems to be that he wanted to "evaluate" Petro's recruits and communicated that to all the recruits. Here's the issue, though. Milliman was the head coach at Cornell at the time he was hired. The likelihood that he (or Cornell staff) hadn't evaluated Petro's recruits as part of Cornell's recruiting process is zero. All of those guys were known entities to Milliman. Were there 1 or 2 that he believed would be unlikely to see the field under his system? For sure, and this would have been communicated to those recruits; it's the right thing to do. But that he communicated to all recruits that they needed to be re-evaluated, thereby pissing off guys that he knew and liked from the Cornell recruiting process, defies credibility.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@. My reply

Not at all. Subjectivity treated as fact is “no way to govern a country” there was more likely minimal overlap. Some coaches don’t want some players. Some players don’t want certain schools or coaches. Some kids want the big time athletic experience. Some kids don’t want inner city schools, some kids to be away from home some don’t. Dome kids hsve already let it be known whete they want to go or who they want yo play for. PM is not yet high on that list. He did not have close ties to the Cornell lax community and certsinly does not have it at Hopkins. Maybe over time. Neither PM nor the ex OC are known for great social skills. Cornell now has a coach that does. A CNY guy with a big presence once commented he has never seen PM field a team made up of people he was responsible for recruiting. He is a delegator.

The previous coach was having difficulty getting players he wanted. It was recognized years ago as a problem. They reached out to the community for feedback and advice. Tgere were no easy answers. The freshman class this year has playets that are at Hopkins bcs of former players and alums. Hopkins has some great things to offer but some very significant hurdles as well

Jeff Teat was not at Cornell bcs of PM
Kerwick may have sucked at Xs and Os but he’s well known to be extremely likeable as a person and excellent recruiter. Going back to the days he and Rock Sowell were helping DJU build up GTown. He got a lot of kids to Bart in his run there, half just transferred, typically “up”.

Does CNY guy = Messere or Archer? I’m sure you won’t tell but just first two thoughts along w Chuck Wilbur.
Neither of them. I generally won’t post names inless tgere is a reasonable expectation they are public enough so it does not matter.

I did check on beer sales. The university would never before give permission to sell it. Legal was concerned with liability and from a neighbor relations perspective needless bad fall out given friction going back a long way. Be interesting to see if that changed
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

Man I truly will never understand how some people on this forum just grind the same axe. Here are some questions to ask yourself and please realistically answer these. Also how about we stop looking in the past and start embracing the present. Seems like a select few would rather the program fail rather than have success. Here are my questions for you.

1. Looking the schedule at the beginning of the year if I were to tell you the team was 2-2 would you have been happy or satisfied with the results?

2. For those that have actually WATCHED the games does this team look improved from last year and like they are forming an identity?

3. Have you had any real confirmation of the rumors about recruiting, players leaving and all the other trumped up stories posted on here?

4. For all the super fans on here how many of you are actually watching a practice, going to the scrimmages and or games or are you just being Monday morning QBs?

5. What if I told you Szuluk, Deans, Matt N, Melendez, Angelus, Evans and McDermott were hurt most of these 4 games and we are still 2-2 would you be surprised?

So here are my answers to these questions. I think looking at the schedule BEFORE the season started I would have thought the team would be somewhere between 2-2 and 3-1. So starting out 2-0 with a win over GTown is awesome we can all agree and by the board seems like winning shut up most of the fake JHU fans. Fast forward a couple days and drop a game against UNC which was winnable and stings but this happens. Team looked great to start then fell off in the second half. Now I will bring up something no one has. Maybe the players that missed against Loyola were dinged in the UNC game could that contribute to the fall off? We won’t know. Ok so again looking at the schedule before the season I think we thought Loyola was an EASIER game potentially. It was not they certainly seem like a new team from last year. Take that along with the fact it was at their place and with 2/3 of our attack out it was sure to be a rough game. Now for all that say PM is not liked and he’s too rough and whatever BS you make up that day you would think the team would just rollover but did they? Nope battled and gave effort all be it in a loosing one. This team all year has competed and has looked completely different than the last 2 years. If you watched the games this year you would clearly see an improvement from last year. The D looks strong with lots of on ball pressure and seem to do well at causing turnovers. Goalie play has been outstanding. Offense is still a work in progress when they are healthy and have the players in the right positions they spin it quick, have solid spacing and have produced. For all those that claim PM can’t develop players seems like Bauer is drastically improving, Stu Phillips is contributing seemingly each game, Collison is improving each game, Carson Brown has been awesome, Deans was looking great, and to find Melendez in the portal and get his performance I think those show you that the team not only likes him but have bought in! I think you all who claim that Covid is not an excuse really have no idea the restrictions that were placed on the coaches and players from the university. Lastly I will say this. I’m relatively new to JHU and your crazy fan base but I will say that I think you need to have realistic expectations. The team is trending in the right direction and I truly think they will be contenders if they get healthy. Sometimes you have to look at it for what it is. The team lost an icon as a coach in the middle of a pandemic. I think let the kids compete, let the coaches coach and us as FANS need to be fans and SUPPORT THE TEAM not find ways to divide it. Looking forward to this weekend would love to see a nice crowd out there. I’ll be in the stands cheering. I welcome your responses and sorry for the long post.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:52 pm Man I truly will never understand how some people on this forum just grind the same axe. Here are some questions to ask yourself and please realistically answer these. Also how about we stop looking in the past and start embracing the present. Seems like a select few would rather the program fail rather than have success. Here are my questions for you.

1. Looking the schedule at the beginning of the year if I were to tell you the team was 2-2 would you have been happy or satisfied with the results?

2. For those that have actually WATCHED the games does this team look improved from last year and like they are forming an identity?

3. Have you had any real confirmation of the rumors about recruiting, players leaving and all the other trumped up stories posted on here?

4. For all the super fans on here how many of you are actually watching a practice, going to the scrimmages and or games or are you just being Monday morning QBs?

5. What if I told you Szuluk, Deans, Matt N, Melendez, Angelus, Evans and McDermott were hurt most of these 4 games and we are still 2-2 would you be surprised?

So here are my answers to these questions. I think looking at the schedule BEFORE the season started I would have thought the team would be somewhere between 2-2 and 3-1. So starting out 2-0 with a win over GTown is awesome we can all agree and by the board seems like winning shut up most of the fake JHU fans. Fast forward a couple days and drop a game against UNC which was winnable and stings but this happens. Team looked great to start then fell off in the second half. Now I will bring up something no one has. Maybe the players that missed against Loyola were dinged in the UNC game could that contribute to the fall off? We won’t know. Ok so again looking at the schedule before the season I think we thought Loyola was an EASIER game potentially. It was not they certainly seem like a new team from last year. Take that along with the fact it was at their place and with 2/3 of our attack out it was sure to be a rough game. Now for all that say PM is not liked and he’s too rough and whatever BS you make up that day you would think the team would just rollover but did they? Nope battled and gave effort all be it in a loosing one. This team all year has competed and has looked completely different than the last 2 years. If you watched the games this year you would clearly see an improvement from last year. The D looks strong with lots of on ball pressure and seem to do well at causing turnovers. Goalie play has been outstanding. Offense is still a work in progress when they are healthy and have the players in the right positions they spin it quick, have solid spacing and have produced. For all those that claim PM can’t develop players seems like Bauer is drastically improving, Stu Phillips is contributing seemingly each game, Collison is improving each game, Carson Brown has been awesome, Deans was looking great, and to find Melendez in the portal and get his performance I think those show you that the team not only likes him but have bought in! I think you all who claim that Covid is not an excuse really have no idea the restrictions that were placed on the coaches and players from the university. Lastly I will say this. I’m relatively new to JHU and your crazy fan base but I will say that I think you need to have realistic expectations. The team is trending in the right direction and I truly think they will be contenders if they get healthy. Sometimes you have to look at it for what it is. The team lost an icon as a coach in the middle of a pandemic. I think let the kids compete, let the coaches coach and us as FANS need to be fans and SUPPORT THE TEAM not find ways to divide it. Looking forward to this weekend would love to see a nice crowd out there. I’ll be in the stands cheering. I welcome your responses and sorry for the long post.
Great post. Amen. Go Jays.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:52 pm
The only outlier so far has been the GTown game. That was a surprise.
Other than that, the season is pretty predictable:

Utah - W
St Joe - W
UVA - L
SU - L
Navy/Delaware W/L or L/W
Michigan - W
RU - L
PSU- W
OSU - L
UMD - L

So a win short of .500, provided we can some key players back healthy, otherwise some of those Ws may turn to Ls.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:49 am Final thought on the idea that Milliman "ran off" recruits. The contention seems to be that he wanted to "evaluate" Petro's recruits and communicated that to all the recruits. Here's the issue, though. Milliman was the head coach at Cornell at the time he was hired. The likelihood that he (or Cornell staff) hadn't evaluated Petro's recruits as part of Cornell's recruiting process is zero. All of those guys were known entities to Milliman. Were there 1 or 2 that he believed would be unlikely to see the field under his system? For sure, and this would have been communicated to those recruits; it's the right thing to do. But that he communicated to all recruits that they needed to be re-evaluated, thereby pissing off guys that he knew and liked from the Cornell recruiting process, defies credibility.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@. My reply

Not at all. Subjectivity treated as fact is “no way to govern a country” there was more likely minimal overlap. Some coaches don’t want some players. Some players don’t want certain schools or coaches. Some kids want the big time athletic experience. Some kids don’t want inner city schools, some kids to be away from home some don’t. Dome kids hsve already let it be known whete they want to go or who they want yo play for. PM is not yet high on that list. He did not have close ties to the Cornell lax community and certsinly does not have it at Hopkins. Maybe over time. Neither PM nor the ex OC are known for great social skills. Cornell now has a coach that does. A CNY guy with a big presence once commented he has never seen PM field a team made up of people he was responsible for recruiting. He is a delegator.

The previous coach was having difficulty getting players he wanted. It was recognized years ago as a problem. They reached out to the community for feedback and advice. Tgere were no easy answers. The freshman class this year has playets that are at Hopkins bcs of former players and alums. Hopkins has some great things to offer but some very significant hurdles as well

Jeff Teat was not at Cornell bcs of PM
Kerwick may have sucked at Xs and Os but he’s well known to be extremely likeable as a person and excellent recruiter. Going back to the days he and Rock Sowell were helping DJU build up GTown. He got a lot of kids to Bart in his run there, half just transferred, typically “up”.

Does CNY guy = Messere or Archer? I’m sure you won’t tell but just first two thoughts along w Chuck Wilbur.
Neither of them. I generally won’t post names inless tgere is a reasonable expectation they are public enough so it does not matter.

I did check on beer sales. The university would never before give permission to sell it. Legal was concerned with liability and from a neighbor relations perspective needless bad fall out given friction going back a long way. Be interesting to see if that changed
I know I was just fishing.

IF you can handle crappy wine just take the gut/kidney bag out of a franzia box and improve the dad bod inside a button down shirt, did that for years well into my 20s. Guess where the spigot/valve came out?
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Any updates on the injured Jays ?
Any expected to be out this Saturday ?
molo

Post by molo »

Hard to make a prediction without knowing the status of Melendez and Angelus, but I like the home team by about five.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”