The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
lagerhead

Re: 2024

Post by lagerhead »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:49 pm
lagerhead wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:34 pm Let’s be real. Nobody voting Dem is voting Biden in November it’s a vote for the VP!
Sure.

But I think folks are forgetting that Trump isn't the picture of health...and IF he makes it to his last year in office?

He'll be our oldest President to ever have served. He'll be 81, with his birthday coming up in June.

To summarize: it's wise to pay close attention to who Trump picks as VP. Because it's the same deal with him.
Could be an interesting debate.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

lagerhead wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:40 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:49 pm
lagerhead wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:34 pm Let’s be real. Nobody voting Dem is voting Biden in November it’s a vote for the VP!
Sure.

But I think folks are forgetting that Trump isn't the picture of health...and IF he makes it to his last year in office?

He'll be our oldest President to ever have served. He'll be 81, with his birthday coming up in June.

To summarize: it's wise to pay close attention to who Trump picks as VP. Because it's the same deal with him.
Could be an interesting debate.
I'm voting for Biden, not for Kamala. I'd vote for McCain and Romney over Biden if that was the choice.

It's also interesting that the Republican VP candidate thought Trump may be "America's Hitler"

Peter Thiel may get a lot for his investment.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I usually find political conventions tedious, boring, & mostly unwatchable. This year's RNC is an exception.
Not because of content of the convention, but the over-the-top histrionics of the MSM coverage.
I keep switching between NBC, MSNBC, & CNN. It is hilarious.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:59 pm . I'd vote for McCain and Romney over Biden if that was the choice.
Same.

But this isn't possible, we're called commies and lefties here.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Teamsters backing Trump is pivotal.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:33 pm Teamsters backing Trump is pivotal.
I'm rooting for JD Vance to do what he's promised to do.....establish policies that help the working class as per his claims.
njbill

Post by njbill »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:33 pm Teamsters backing Trump is pivotal.
This article says no endorsement has been made as yet.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/blow-b ... 024-07-15/
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:54 pm

... it was YA's click-bait. ;)

The reporting is kind of strange for a Reuters report, IMO. Seems very negative on the union and its leadership. It reads like something from a right wing blog. Who knows.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

Regarding Trump's pick of JD Vance as his prospective VP.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/b ... term=first

...neocons should be (ironically) celebrating this pick as a chance for reality to hit their ideological rivals in the face as hard as it hit them.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:53 pm
I'm rooting for JD Vance to do what he's promised to do.....establish policies that help the working class as per his claims.
You like the Bills for the Super Bowl too?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Having O'Brien speak at the RNC, who did a nice job, is all you need. They also leaned in with Reagan and Bush (I believe).....endorsement is a formality, a speaking message at the RNC to the dues paying members is the endorsement, which resonates to to many of the international union members. .
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:20 am

Having O'Brien speak at the RNC, who did a nice job, is all you need. They also leaned in with Reagan and Bush (I believe).....endorsement is a formality, a speaking message at the RNC to the dues paying members is the endorsement, which resonates to to many of the international union members. .
Isn't O'Brien the nutjob who challenged a sitting GOP Senator (Mullin from OK) to a fight at a hearing recently?
Yet another stable genius
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:14 am
a fan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 10:53 pm
You like the Bills for the Super Bowl too?
I do!!!
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:42 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:20 am

Isn't O'Brien the nutjob who challenged a sitting GOP Senator (Mullin from OK) to a fight at a hearing recently?
Yet another stable genius
... O'Brien didn't endorse anyone. He / they are playing the field to get the best deal he / they can. He made that very clear. No question Biden will consider this being stabbed in the back as he really did step up for O'Brien. It is internal Teamster politics.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:49 pm
get it to x wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:34 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:25 pm I think the Vance pick is good for Biden. He is the antithesis of a moderate. Another fire breathing hater like Trump. Plus, he is very thin on credentials. He wrote a best selling book. So what?
You're right about credentials. Except for the Marine Corps between HS and OSU his resume resembles Obama's.
Vance has been a senator for a year and a half. That’s it. Obama was in the Illinois state legislature for seven years or so. Plus, he was a senator longer than Vance.
Vance was an enlisted man and a tech investor. You and I completely differ as you think more time in the political cesspool is a plus and I think it's a minus. The job is the "Chief Executive of the United States". Lifetime politicians are, out of necessity, mostly grifters, like Pelosi, McConnell and Biden. Family and crony enrichment come before the needs of the people. These folks have a lot of net worth in relation to their salaries. Although Obama got most of his cash after leaving office, he's not exactly Harry Truman. For example, Truman went home, Obama stayed in DC.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
a fan

Post by a fan »

get it to x wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:31 am
njbill wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:25 pm I think the Vance pick is good for Biden. He is the antithesis of a moderate. Another fire breathing hater like Trump. Plus, he is very thin on credentials. He wrote a best selling book. So what?
You're right about credentials. Except for the Marine Corps between HS and OSU his resume resembles Obama's.
Vance has been a senator for a year and a half. That’s it. Obama was in the Illinois state legislature for seven years or so. Plus, he was a senator longer than Vance.
Vance was an enlisted man and a tech investor. You and I completely differ as you think more time in the political cesspool is a plus and I think it's a minus. The job is the "Chief Executive of the United States". Lifetime politicians are, out of necessity, mostly grifters, like Pelosi, McConnell and Biden. Family and crony enrichment come before the needs of the people. These folks have a lot of net worth in relation to their salaries. Although Obama got most of his cash after leaving office, he's not exactly Harry Truman. For example, Truman went home, Obama stayed in DC.
While I agree with you that lifetime politicians are a pox on our nation.......how is replacing them with corporate 1%ers better?

The gap between rich and poor keeps widening, regardless of party. The only difference I see on this point is that the Dems spend on infrastructure that helps flyover America, and the R's don't. That, and the Dems believe in taxation for the stuff we get, and the R's don't....this inflation didn't fall from the sky, we are borrowing too much.

And Trump just told you he's going to cut taxes on the rich again, and increase spending big time. How do you guys support this? I don't get it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:36 am
While I agree with you that lifetime politicians are a pox on our nation.......how is replacing them with corporate 1%ers better?

The gap between rich and poor keeps widening, regardless of party. The only difference I see on this point is that the Dems spend on infrastructure that helps flyover America, and the R's don't. That, and the Dems believe in taxation for the stuff we get, and the R's don't....this inflation didn't fall from the sky, we are borrowing too much.

And Trump just told you he's going to cut taxes on the rich again, and increase spending big time. How do you guys support this? I don't get it.
Because they don’t like the people he and his supporters don’t like. That’s all it is.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Read up on the Technocracy Movement of the 1930s which favored replacing representative democracy and concomitant partisan politics with Technocracy - basically a variation of authoritarianism controlled by scientists and engineers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy_movement
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

And his views on all sorts of issues, including on Trump, are incredibly fluid, let's generously say "opportunistic".
No principles, no moral grounding, nothing.

Never had to face voters after serving for a period of time. Just BS'd the first time through.

Yes, he enlisted in the Marines, serving as a PR correspondent in Iraq, not active fighting.
His legal career was unremarkable, his VC experience only remarkable in that he found Peter Thiel who made him a principal, a short while at Steve Case's firm who now distances himself from Vance, then raised some money from Thiel and related backers...I see zero actual successful investments he led, tech or otherwise. The nonprofit he started failed, and had significant controversy due to purported ties to Purdue Pharma...

But he's definitely a smart guy, silver tongue, and prepared to be a full on MAGA 'soldier', including advocating for the elimination of Civil Service, and replacement with partisan operatives, loyal to Der Leader.

Maybe that's what you want. Certainly it's what Trump wants.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “POLITICS”