Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:23 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:41 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:34 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:08 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:58 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:19 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:23 am
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:25 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:10 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:28 pm “Academic studies and a 2018 Washington Post project show that arrests for these crimes are the least likely to happen in the pockets of US cities – such as Oakland, Baltimore and Indianapolis – where Black residents are most often killed.

Homicides of young Black and Latino men are the most likely to be left unsolved, said David Bjerk, the Russell Bock professor of Public Economics at Claremont McKenna College in California, while “other demographics have not seen the same or as notable declines”.

In a study published in July 2022, Bjerk found that the clearance rate for the homicides of “minority” men was 15-30 percentage points lower than that of any other racial demographic.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... don-cheese
What is your point?
How do police solve a crime in a community that does not want to talk with or be seen talking to a cop, often out of fear of retaliation?

This part of the article is so accurate and buried in the middle with very little further explnation.
“You hear every cop saying, ‘We can’t do better because they don’t cooperate,’” said John Skaggs, a retired homicide detective for the Los Angeles police department who has more than two decades of policing experience. “But these young cops don’t know how to talk to people and get them to cooperate.”

From the retired Homicide Cop they reference in the article you cited...

We often hear that public mistrust of the police is a big problem, and contributes to rising crime. Ghettoside talks a lot about problems with witnesses not cooperating. Do you think the problem is mistrust of the police, fear of retaliation, or both?

Sadly, your question deals with issues in high crime areas. In high crime areas, rule number one on the streets is “don’t snitch,” and don’t cooperate with the police. I did not encounter many people that truly did not trust the police and most of my career was in South-Central and Watts. To the opposite, they were afraid of the criminal element in their area enforcing rule number one. My biggest police supporters were from these high-crime neighborhoods, yet they couldn’t put a sign in their yard that says, “I Love LAPD.” They would be confronted or have their home vandalized. Even the criminal element is not afraid of the police. They are afraid the police will do their jobs correctly and vigorously.
Hmm, maybe we need better police officers?

“But these young cops don’t know how to talk to people and get them to cooperate.” -- your "find".

Regardless, are you suggesting that the issue is insoluble and therefore we will accept it? Maybe that induces an increasing level of lawlessness? Further erosion of the rule of law? That good with you? Nice problem-solving.
You can talk to people on your patrol beat until your blue in the face. IMO the police do a good job of talking to people. When these folks start feeling tweaky about talking to a police officer in a public place the rule in the hood takes priority... don't cooperate with five O and never, ever, never snitch, unless you don't care about your family members paying the price. The issue is unsolvable as long as the rules on the street predominate. Fear and intimidation and the threat of physical violence are pretty strong motivation factors.
Thanks. Remind me again, are you a crip, blood or Latin king?
None of the above Skippy, keep guessing though.
Somebody who talks about Street and gang life without having any actual knowledge or understanding of it???

Pretty sure I nailed it there.
Sorry Skippy you didn't nail anything. There is a good chance you may have hit your thumb with the hammer though. :D
No I nailed it. Remember I'm not the one here between the two of us who is the hammer that sees everything as a nail...
Concurrently heretofore cradleandshoot will be more commonly referenced to be known as MC Shootcraps.
Just call me old snake eyes buckwheat...
Oh’Tay.
Oy vey
Do your thing
Do what you wanna do...
We just went through this. Your memory is failing.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:28 pm “Academic studies and a 2018 Washington Post project show that arrests for these crimes are the least likely to happen in the pockets of US cities – such as Oakland, Baltimore and Indianapolis – where Black residents are most often killed.

Homicides of young Black and Latino men are the most likely to be left unsolved, said David Bjerk, the Russell Bock professor of Public Economics at Claremont McKenna College in California, while “other demographics have not seen the same or as notable declines”.

In a study published in July 2022, Bjerk found that the clearance rate for the homicides of “minority” men was 15-30 percentage points lower than that of any other racial demographic.

What is your point?
How do police solve a crime in a community that does not want to talk with or be seen talking to a cop, often out of fear of retaliation?

This part of the article is so accurate and buried in the middle with very little further explnation.
“You hear every cop saying, ‘We can’t do better because they don’t cooperate,’” said John Skaggs, a retired homicide detective for the Los Angeles police department who has more than two decades of policing experience. “But these young cops don’t know how to talk to people and get them to cooperate.”

We often hear that public mistrust of the police is a big problem, and contributes to rising crime. Ghettoside talks a lot about problems with witnesses not cooperating. Do you think the problem is mistrust of the police, fear of retaliation, or both?

Sadly, your question deals with issues in high crime areas. In high crime areas, rule number one on the streets is “don’t snitch,” and don’t cooperate with the police. I did not encounter many people that truly did not trust the police and most of my career was in South-Central and Watts. To the opposite, they were afraid of the criminal element in their area enforcing rule number one. My biggest police supporters were from these high-crime neighborhoods, yet they couldn’t put a sign in their yard that says, “I Love LAPD.” They would be confronted or have their home vandalized. Even the criminal element is not afraid of the police. They are afraid the police will do their jobs correctly and vigorously.

“But these young cops don’t know how to talk to people and get them to cooperate.” -- your "find".

Regardless, are you suggesting that the issue is insoluble and therefore we will accept it? Maybe that induces an increasing level of lawlessness? Further erosion of the rule of law? That good with you? Nice problem-solving.
You can talk to people on your patrol beat until your blue in the face. IMO the police do a good job of talking to people. When these folks start feeling tweaky about talking to a police officer in a public place the rule in the hood takes priority... don't cooperate with five O and never, ever, never snitch, unless you don't care about your family members paying the price. The issue is unsolvable as long as the rules on the street predominate. Fear and intimidation and the threat of physical violence are pretty strong motivation factors.
Somebody who talks about Street and gang life without having any actual knowledge or understanding of it???

Sorry Skippy you didn't nail anything. There is a good chance you may have hit your thumb with the hammer though. :D
No I nailed it. Remember I'm not the one here between the two of us who is the hammer that sees everything as a nail...
Concurrently heretofore cradleandshoot will be more commonly referenced to be known as MC Shootcraps.
You sir, are suspect. I don’t know what kind of crap you pull where you’re from but I’m gonna to be looking into you!
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:38 pm

What is your point?

You sir, are suspect. I don’t know what kind of crap you pull where you’re from but I’m gonna to be looking into you!
Most of the crap I pull involves cow manure I put into the garden. Looking into me could wind up being the most boring thing you have ever done in your life. Knock yourself the flip out if it helps you out. Should I plant San marzano tomatoes or just go with the Roma's?? Those beefsteak tomatoes make an awesome BLT...😋 Those grape tomatoes are awesome in a caprese salad. I'm undecided whether to plant acorn or butternut squash. Any suggestions??
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Butternut squash. The acorn is a little too earthy tasting for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:36 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:38 pm

What is your point?

Most of the crap I pull involves cow manure I put into the garden. Looking into me could wind up being the most boring thing you have ever done in your life. Knock yourself the flip out if it helps you out. Should I plant San marzano tomatoes or just go with the Roma's?? Those beefsteak tomatoes make an awesome BLT...😋 Those grape tomatoes are awesome in a caprese salad. I'm undecided whether to plant acorn or butternut squash. Any suggestions??
Watch Good Will Hunting-that’s my suggestion
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seems Lightfoot thinks being elected as a black woman, then losing as a black woman has changed since she was elected. I suppose you pull the race card as needed? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... crime.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:00 am Seems Lightfoot thinks being elected as a black woman, then losing as a black woman has changed since she was elected. I suppose you pull the race card as needed? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... crime.html
... typical DailyHorseSh*t hit job. No where does she say this in the concession speech. She didn't say it at all, or it would have been quoted. The closest it comes is she has said it in other, different contexts in the past. The DailyHorseSh*t does this all the time. :roll: :roll:

The story is the DailyHorseSh*t reporter trying to bait her to get the answer they wanted for the paper that was already printed.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:00 am Seems Lightfoot thinks being elected as a black woman, then losing as a black woman has changed since she was elected. I suppose you pull the race card as needed? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... crime.html
I have told you 70 x 7 times….. stop fanning flames.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:13 pm
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot ... 297327.jpg
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:40 am
... typical DailyHorseSh*t hit job. No where does she say this in the concession speech. She didn't say it at all, or it would have been quoted. The closest it comes is she has said it in other, different contexts in the past. The DailyHorseSh*t does this all the time. :roll: :roll:

The story is the DailyHorseSh*t reporter trying to bait her to get the answer they wanted for the paper that was already printed.
Here is her quote: https://nypost.com/2023/03/01/chicago-m ... sm-gender/

“I am a black woman — let’s not forget,” Lightfoot, 60, told the New Yorker in a piece that ran Saturday. “Certain folks, frankly, don’t support us in leadership roles.”
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

As soon as do as well....deal?
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:45 pm
We good….I am more afraid to “show my faith more than anyone else here”….
“I wish you would!”
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:50 pm
I hope it's not because you're a Rastafarian?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:40 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:40 am

Here is her quote: https://nypost.com/2023/03/01/chicago-m ... sm-gender/

“I am a black woman — let’s not forget,” Lightfoot, 60, told the New Yorker in a piece that ran Saturday. “Certain folks, frankly, don’t support us in leadership roles.”
I'd want to see the entire interview, what questions she was asked etc that drew that response, before believing the NYP' "take" on it as blaming race and gender.

But, if she did, she's entitled to that view of what she was up against. There's no doubt in my mind that those factors played a role in the reaction to her decisions during her tenure, albeit only one set of factors. Were they dispositive? I dunno. There were certainly other factors. Bottomline, her loss was so substantial I doubt those factors were the difference. But sure, they played a role.

On a similar vein, I think HRC's loss to Trump was influenced by the reality that she's a woman and her ambitions as such were resisted by a significant portion of the electorate. Was it the only factor? Absolutely not. Was it the most important? arguable...it wasn't my reason for not pulling the lever for her (or Trump) but who knows how much it mattered in those handful of counties that gave Trump the win. Didn't take a lot of vote swing to make the difference.

So, how the questions were phrased matters.
Did she actually say she lost because of her race and gender?...not in that quote.
And yet, that's what these rags claim she said.
Typical Lax Dad

get it to x wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:50 pm
I hope it's not because you're a Rastafarian?
I and I
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Interesting. Seems like there may have been some racial imperatives at work here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jim-crow- ... ississippi

"Earlier this month, white representatives in the Mississippi House approved a bill to create a new district—that includes all of the majority-white neighborhoods in Jackson, a capital city that is 83 percent Black. This includes creating a criminal justice system for the district, overseen by an all-white power base.

Under House Bill 1020, the white conservative chief justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court would handpick the new district’s two supervising judges; its prosecutors and public defenders would be chosen by the state’s white Republican attorney general.

The zone would be policed by an expanded Capitol Police force, led by the current white police chief, and supervised by the state’s white Public Safety commissioner. Because all the district’s officials would be appointed instead of elected, Jackson’s majority-Black citizenry would have no voting rights on the matter—making it Mississippi’s only jurisdiction where, according to the ACLU, “unelected judges and prosecutors have jurisdiction over criminal and civil law matters”—although 12 percent of their sales taxes would be redirected to help pay for it all.

“It’s oppressive because it strips the right of Black folks to vote,” Jackson Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba said, after the bill cleared the House. “It’s oppressive because it puts a military force over people that has no accountability to them. It’s oppressive because there will be judges who will determine sentences over people’s lives. It’s oppressive because it redirects their tax dollars to something they don’t endorse nor believe in.”

State Rep. Trey Lamar, the white Republican who sponsored the bill, lives in and represents a majority-white district more than two hours away from Jackson. (He holds a seat once held by his grandfather, Leon Hannaford, whose legacy includes introducing a 1962 bill to tighten residency requirements for college students, which a local paper at the time reported, “would have kept Negro James Meredith from filing suit to enter the University of Mississippi.”) In various statements on the House floor and in an op-ed from last weekend, the legislator has insisted that HB 1020, by adding unelected judges to Hinds County’s courts, will help clear up lengthy case backlogs, while an expanded Capitol Police force will address a spike in crime in Jackson, allowing his constituents to “feel safe when they come” to the capital.

Calling the bill “racially neutral,” he suggested Jackson’s Black elected representatives, who overwhelmingly rejected the legislation, have “used race” as some kind of political maneuver, and has even gone so far as to accuse those same black officials of “incompetence in leadership.”

If it’s not already obvious already, there’s really only one way to describe an effort to create a white political stronghold in America’s second blackest city, where the Black majority is subject to taxation without representation—and that is, “trying to pull a Jim Crow.”

But it’s not just the top-down white supremacist power structure the bill proposes that begs the Jim Crow comparisons. It’s also the overtly racist subtext needed to justify the idea that white power is the natural “solution”—an assumption so frequently made, it’s recognizable between all those lines of “racially neutral” language. (At the suggestion of an amendment to ensure his bill’s unelected judges at least be from Jackson, Lamar suggested the search not be limited to the majority-Black city, asking, “Do we not want our best and brightest sitting in judgment?”)

Black House Democrats rightly compared the bill to Mississippi’s 1890 Constitution, which was drafted explicitly to “exclude the Negro” from voting through sinster methods of Black disenfranchisement. But the toppling of Reconstruction, in Mississippi as elsewhere, was also driven by the white supremacist assumption of Black incompetence, intellectual unfitness, and innate inadequacy, ideas fabricated to cast Black folks as incapable of leading. One Mississippi delegate would later write that the goal of the state’s constitutional convention had been “to adopt some provision in our organic law which would serve to the State a good and stable government, freed from…negro rule from which we had suffered” and to “remove from the sphere of politics in the state the ignorant and unpatriotic negro.”

For nearly a century, the white racist recollection of Reconstruction would redact and overwrite history, smearing Black leaders as inherently unfit to hold office, and falsely portraying the reestablishment of absolute white authority as a necessary intervention and saving grace.

Perhaps this history is lost to Mississippi’s current white legislators, but that seems unlikely considering the effort they’ve put into scrubbing it from textbooks. (Ditto the fact that “no Black official has held” any of the designated shot-calling positions—attorney general, chief justice of the Supreme Court—nor “any statewide elected office since the brief period of Reconstruction after the Civil War, which ended due to white terrorism to block Black voting power,” the Mississippi Free Press reported.)

Mississippi Today reports that during the four-hour debate over the bill, as “Black House members were doing all they could to plead with the humanity of their GOP colleagues, a large number of Republicans left the House floor altogether for a majority of the debate, reappearing from the back halls of the Capitol to cast a final ‘yea’ vote.” Lamar, apparently indifferent, “sat behind the well and scrolled his phone.”

And yet, Lamar keeps saying that HB 1020 is a “good faith effort at helping the people” of Jackson and Hinds County, but it sure seems like the same tired narrative of the “civilizing” power of whiteness being used to save “uncivilized” Blackness from itself.

What’s more, this sudden compulsion to help by takeover—framed almost as charitable giving, in debate over the bill—comes after years of apparently feeling unmoved. Both Lamar and Gov. Tate Reeves used the language of “incompetence” when indicting Jackson’s Black leaders about the recent water crisis, but Jackson’s leaders had already pleaded for funds from Mississippi’s legislative supermajority, only to be repeatedly shortchanged. Jackson city schools have long been underfunded, an issue that was exacerbated by 2013’s Charter Public Schools Act, but instead of correcting the problem, a takeover was again proposed as a logical solution. And during this legislative session, instead of organizing a hostile takeover, the legislature could vote to expand Medicaid, which would do far more to aid Black Jacksonians than stripping their voting rights could even pretend to. But so far, Mississippi’s legislative majority seems uninterested in providing that sort of help.

Makes you wonder where the ineptitude truly lies.

If HB 1020 isn’t an attempt at a “land grab,” as Democratic Rep. Ed Blackmon called it, then why does the bill not simply seek to fund more permanent elected judges to Hinds County and Jackson’s courts, instead of diverting tax money to a whole new district? If criminal cases have surged in tandem with Jackson’s crime surge, thus creating the backlog that Lamar wants to address, then why are the unelected judges of HB 1020 also going to be handling civil cases, to re-pose another question from Blackmon? (Especially since, in his op-ed self-defense, Lamar notes that Hinds County District Attorney Jody Owen stated that “our current judges are working really hard, but they have half civil and half criminal dockets.”)

Mississippi’s crime lab has been underfunded, understaffed, and under-equipped for years—contributing to backlogs in Jackson’s courts and all around the state—and yet Lamar’s bill does nothing to address long-standing appeals from lab staffers to address any of those issues. Overlooking these problems doesn’t seem like a good way to address Jackson’s criminal court case backlogs, unless what you were really trying to do was to create yet another entrenched white power system in the state.

Mississippi’s Capitol Police officers reportedly shot more people in 2022 than any other Mississippi law enforcement department, with the most recent shooting occurring in December. The department’s fatal police shooting of 25-year-old Jaylen Lewis in September is still under investigation by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation. At a meeting between the police chief and public safety officers, Black residents expressed concerns that Capitol officers don’t know “how to deal with Black people in Black neighborhoods,” and fears that most of the force’s officers are from counties “known for their racial prejudice.”

While the new Capitol District will still be majority Black, it will also include 80 percent of Jackson’s white residents, and guess whose property rights will be prioritized over all else, including certain folks’ lives? Nevermind Capitol Police lack an “oversight board or standard requirements around transparency of reporting regarding officer-involved shootings,” as Jackson-based organizer Makani Themba wrote for The Nation.

Just as Lamar wants his constituents to “feel safe when they come” to the capital, Black Jacksonians want to feel safe, too, both from crime and from over-policing. It’s a concern the legislator blithely dismissed by stating, “if you're not committing crimes in Jackson, you really don't have anything to worry about.”

That’s quite a statement from someone with deep roots in a state notorious for creating the first Black Codes, having the most racial terror lynchings, having a Senate that voted to ship its Black residents to Africa at the late date of 1922, which created the first White Citizens' Council, which removed the Confederate flag from its banner in 2020, and which attempted to ban the teaching about all of those things with a bill that erroneously calls it “critical race theory.”

In 2023, the Mississippi House passed a bill that would essentially resurrect Jim Crow; now that proposed law will head to the Senate, where Republicans also retain majority power. Perhaps Mississippi will become the first state to so openly reinstate Jim Crow, extracting Black power in every form it can, yet again. And others will undoubtedly follow."
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I don't want to believe what this might be, but seriously ...... losing the paperwork TWICE?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-a ... d=97586022

God bless COL Davis.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:19 pm I don't want to believe what this might be, but seriously ...... losing the paperwork TWICE?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-a ... d=97586022

God bless COL Davis.
Surprised? Remember who the southern military bases were named for...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The smiling murderous female cop to be released from prison next month:

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/ten ... =265&d=265

Ex-Cop Kim Potter Set To Be Released From Prison Next Month

Former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter — who was sentenced to two years in prison after fatally shooting 20-year-old Daunte Wright at a traffic stop — is set to be released from prison next month.

She is serving her sentence at the state's only women's prison in Shakopee. Her final day there is April 24, according to prison records.

Potter's punishment was a significant downward departure from Minnesota's presumptive sentencing guidelines, which called for a prison sentence of just over seven years.

The 50-year-old was convicted in December of first- and second-degree manslaughter in the fatal shooting.

"This is the saddest case in my 20 years on the bench," Hennepin County District Court Judge Regina Chu said during Potter's February 2022 sentencing hearing.

"On the one hand, a young man was killed. On the other hand, a respected 26-year veteran police officer made a tragic error by pulling a handgun instead of a Taser."

Under state law, Potter faced a maximum of 15 years in prison. But because she had no previous criminal record, state guidelines called for 86 months in prison, which is just over seven years.

But Chu ruled that Potter deserved less than what the state guidelines called for. "Officer Potter made a mistake that ended tragically. She never intended to hurt anyone," she said. "This is a cop who made a tragic mistake."

As is so typical of Minnesota, the judge in the case openly shows sympathy for the killer cop and doesn't give a fcckkk about the innocent victim.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”