Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:51 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:29 pm Definitely gotta disagree with that take. You currently cannot count Joey among the group of guys who can "regularly beat his man" most weeks sadly. Its hard to think you can give him the rock and ask him to create when he isn't getting separation. Not that he is alone in this, so far this year I think that list actually only contains one name for us and its Angelus.

He deserved that ranking at the time coming out of high school with the accolades he had presumably but regardless of how we got here Joey isn't currently "the player we were promised". That's not to say he isn't playing a perfectly adequate game out there week to week right now even, he just isn't the straw that stirs the drink and isn't showing up as the transcendent offensive force we thought we were going to have years ago. The weight of the program and even just this years offense doesn't rest on his shoulders of course and he's out there doing what he can but we're again missing some pieces this year same as we were last year. Rome wasn't built in a day and there's plenty of season left though.
Dodging, especially from behind the net and GLE, was a big part of his game, and still is. However, much of his production came from carrying the rock and dishing out assists or having the offense work to get him the open shot. Just don’t see the latter happening as much.

Indeed, I’ve seen Epstein call for the ball and not get it. Distinctly recall in the UNC game Keogh twice choosing to pass away from Epstein when Epstein seemed to be calling for the rock.

Don’t think a more balanced offense is a bad thing. But if we want to see Epstein score 70+ points again, the Blue Jays will have to focus specifically on getting Epstein the open shots. Just don’t see that happening under the new regime.

That’s fine, but the other players on offense need to be more consistent in their productivity to make that work. The way I see it, Epstein is still by far the Blue Jays’ best offensive player. I think Hopkins would benefit by giving him a larger role on offense.

DocBarrister
Joey's split has become predicable, him getting stripped by shorties is about that......more than foot speed loss. correctable. We know the opponents coaches are aware of this...happened in the UNC game too.....again, correctable. First thing he needs to do, is throw, catch N shoot , all while doing the HORSE.....obviously, someones gotta be his partner...but......and do it real wide, Joey. The smart Hopkins doctors can explain the benefits, both physical and mental, of this simple exercise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqrxYC0i70
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Joey is on pace for 58 pts in 16 games. He's a little less than 1 PPG off his 2019 pace. He's not lightyears away. The eye test shows he doesn't have the same burst as before but I think he's now closer to the player he was in 2019 than the one in 2020/parts of 2021. It'd be great if some other guys stepped up.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

he picks up some garbage goals in blowouts like last week.

I'm expecting major desperation and a surge of energy from our guys who know winning this weekend goes a long way to whether or not they play in may and the direction their seasons take.

google says it'll be 70 and cloudy saturday. I don't remember the last time we saw them in that kind of warm weather.
molo

Post by molo »

70 is going to feel rather warm. No one is acclimated to that yet. To Milliman’s credit, Hopkins has been using quite a few poles and dms. On the other hand, the second midfield didn’t see much time last weekend, and if a starting attyis out, it’s possible that the midfield depth will take a hit. The home team runs two poles, three if the original starter is back, and four ssdms with at least one, maybe two if Conner is back, extra guys in the rotation who go both ways. Depth favors the home team.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:20 pm 70 is going to feel rather warm. No one is acclimated to that yet. To Milliman’s credit, Hopkins has been using quite a few poles and dms. On the other hand, the second midfield didn’t see much time last weekend, and if a starting attyis out, it’s possible that the midfield depth will take a hit. The home team runs two poles, three if the original starter is back, and four ssdms with at least one, maybe two if Conner is back, extra guys in the rotation who go both ways. Depth favors the home team.
Seems like coaching favors the home team too.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:20 pm 70 is going to feel rather warm. No one is acclimated to that yet. To Milliman’s credit, Hopkins has been using quite a few poles and dms. On the other hand, the second midfield didn’t see much time last weekend, and if a starting attyis out, it’s possible that the midfield depth will take a hit. The home team runs two poles, three if the original starter is back, and four ssdms with at least one, maybe two if Conner is back, extra guys in the rotation who go both ways. Depth favors the home team.
Seems like coaching is favoring the home too.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:20 pm The home team runs two poles
You say this like it's unique or something. Are there teams that don't run two poles?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:08 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:24 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm As a note (and this isn't directed at you) if you think kids still wearing masks doesn't impact recruiting then you are not looking through this with parental glasses. My daughter is starting to look at schools and we've already eliminated many that have continued way too strict COVID guidelines given the risk parameters of college students (and if you don't remove them now, when will you?)
100% agree - as someone with a kid in the application cycle now, applications to the big state universities in the South are way up and those spots are much, much harder for the out of state kids. Look, 5/8 of my son's HS experience was largely ruined by Covid. He is very, very focused on having as normal a college experience as is possible, even if that's not at the most-prestigious school he gets into.
I nearly died twice in the last 17 months due to what are very likely long-term cardiac sequelae of a Covid-19 infection in March 2020.

Don’t be imprudent in considering the inconveniences that may prevent a mild or even non-symptomatic Covid-19 infection. Even healthy young adults can develop long-term sequelae that are potentially devastating.

I use the term “imprudent”, but please understand that I mean something more. I just don’t want to be impolite to parents who obviously care about the future of their children.

DocBarrister
Oh, okay. I've completedly change my mind on this. Thanks...oh, what where is the i don't care button.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/04/health/t ... index.html

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:51 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm As a note (and this isn't directed at you) if you think kids still wearing masks doesn't impact recruiting then you are not looking through this with parental glasses. My daughter is starting to look at schools and we've already eliminated many that have continued way too strict COVID guidelines given the risk parameters of college students (and if you don't remove them now, when will you?)
100% agree - as someone with a kid in the application cycle now, applications to the big state universities in the South are way up and those spots are much, much harder for the out of state kids. Look, 5/8 of my son's HS experience was largely ruined by Covid. He is very, very focused on having as normal a college experience as is possible, even if that's not at the most-prestigious school he gets into.
I nearly died twice in the last 17 months due to what are very likely long-term cardiac sequelae of a Covid-19 infection in March 2020.

Don’t be imprudent in considering the inconveniences that may prevent a mild or even non-symptomatic Covid-19 infection. Even healthy young adults can develop long-term sequelae that are potentially devastating.

I use the term “imprudent”, but please understand that I mean something more. I just don’t want to be impolite to parents who obviously care about the future of their children.

DocBarrister
Oh, okay. I've completedly change my mind on this. Thanks...oh, what where is the i don't care button.

DocBarrister
I thought it was only fat kids that died? Someone posted pictures last week….
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Oh, now you've convinced me that there should always be masks and always be testing. Thanks. I take this under all your stellar lacrosse knowledge that I ignore.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:27 pm he picks up some garbage goals in blowouts like last week.

I'm expecting major desperation and a surge of energy from our guys who know winning this weekend goes a long way to whether or not they play in may and the direction their seasons take.

google says it'll be 70 and cloudy saturday. I don't remember the last time we saw them in that kind of warm weather.
The difference in talent is wide - National Champions 2 out of the last 3 years - (with the other year not concluded) vs what? 12-17 in those two years - I don't think the number of poles run or not run is going to make any difference. I disagree with the notion that Hopkins is not playing hard - to me they are putting forth the requisite effort - Coaching is not the issue either - give PM Shellenberger, Moore, Cormier etc etc. Hopkins would win.
This isn't completely David vs. Goliath and Hopkins has a chance because they play the games but the Monte Carlo simulations suggest this one could get ugly.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

They may not have any single player like Chris Gray, but lacrosse is a team sport, and top-to-bottom (yes, including coaching), I think UVA looks more dangerous to me than UNC did.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
from your infotainment link:
He died a little more than a month later, of a brain infection related to Covid-19.
A brain infection ? What doesn't covid, cause :roll:

missing, are the usual , kind words ;) , that DocB, and others, like to spew towards the unvaccinated.

now, they are anecdotial evidence of something ?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:27 pm he picks up some garbage goals in blowouts like last week.
There you go making stuff up again. You'll recall that he had all 6 of his goals in the first half against Towson, as well as 5 pts in a back-and-forth close game against Loyola. I don't remember his second goal against Georgetown but his first came in the 1st quarter on a dodge from behind the cage to beat Will Bowen to GLE.

Also it's not like his 4th quarter hat trick against UNC counts any less. Goals are goals. You've got some people saying the team isn't hustling (not true, IMO) and then others complaining that they score too many goals in garbage time? Which is it?

Jays will put in a tough effort tomorrow. It probably won't be enough to win but who knows. Then again UVA does run two poles so I guess we have no chance.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister
This is one of your "headlines", talking about the unvaccinated ? (below)

Doc, this is just one example of the fine, kind words, a model citizen and Public health advocate, SHOULD be conveying to fellow humans. Dude, YOUR words......own them
Doc B wrote:
Unvaccinated Trash Harm Their Children, Themselves, and Burden Healthcare System
Wow....you calling the young man "trash"....beyond words.

Try kindness
molo

Post by molo »

Sure, ever team runs two poles. The projected starting pole for UVA has been hurt. The guys who would have been two and three have been playing. If the original starter returns, the they have three capable options. The poin is that are deep at the most tiring position, which is defensive midfield.
They have an excellent face-off man but only carry two. Hopkins is deeper there.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

First Round of the NCAA D3 National C'ship: Hopkins vs. Yeshiva University at 1 PM EST today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEKRAInhiB0
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Either the report about the player out 3-6 weeks here was untrue earlier this week or the school is deliberately lying in the game notes. Narewski and ferndandez still not listed as well.
https://hopkinssports.com/documents/202 ... rginia.pdf

the firm that did the mens lax search announced they are doing the womens lax coach search for the school.

https://www.nbc29.com/2022/03/04/uva-me ... n-hopkins/
But the teams haven’t played since 2019, and depending on who you ask, the Blue Jays are no longer the Cavaliers’ biggest rival.
“You know, I definitely knew it was a rivalry,” says sophomore defender Cole Kastner, “but I don’t think it was something I focused on a whole lot.”
Tiffany says ACC opponents may have eclipsed the Hopkins rivalry for some of the more recent alumni.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:23 pm Either the report about the player out 3-6 weeks here was untrue earlier this week or the school is deliberately lying in the game notes. Narewski and ferndandez still not listed as well.
https://hopkinssports.com/documents/202 ... rginia.pdf

the firm that did the mens lax search announced they are doing the womens lax coach search for the school.

https://www.nbc29.com/2022/03/04/uva-me ... n-hopkins/
But the teams haven’t played since 2019, and depending on who you ask, the Blue Jays are no longer the Cavaliers’ biggest rival.
“You know, I definitely knew it was a rivalry,” says sophomore defender Cole Kastner, “but I don’t think it was something I focused on a whole lot.”
Tiffany says ACC opponents may have eclipsed the Hopkins rivalry for some of the more recent alumni.
The “game notes” might be inaccurate? Someone call the police

Post by 1766 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:22 am

DocBarrister
This is one of your "headlines", talking about the unvaccinated ? (below)

Doc, this is just one example of the fine, kind words, a model citizen and Public health advocate, SHOULD be conveying to fellow humans. Dude, YOUR words......own them
Doc B wrote:
Unvaccinated Trash Harm Their Children, Themselves, and Burden Healthcare System
Wow....you calling the young man "trash"....beyond words.

Try kindness
That's a shocking way to speak of fellow citizens. Someone needs to reassess their entire life.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”