THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

A new day has dawned.
Adios2019andMrFoofDM
Adios2019andMrFoofDM
DF01237C-BC14-4852-A360-43193A3D0C17.jpeg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

Another year when Jays “dropped the chalupa” in the first round of the playoffs. Regarding Ronnie D, his old school Penn’s team out performed us. 😡. Unacceptable. Leadership change is in order.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:04 pm A new day has dawned.

DF01237C-BC14-4852-A360-43193A3D0C17.jpeg
That tops the last funny thing I saw on this board!!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Did you know that wombats have square poop?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Actually, the picture's appropriateness is what makes it entertaining.
A new day and a new dawn, but the same old sh** on the Hop thread.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

That cat has a reddish fur
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 pm Actually, the picture's appropriateness is what makes it entertaining.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:56 pm
DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 pm Actually, the picture's appropriateness is what makes it entertaining.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
And the same old butthurt from DMac. Like a dingleberry hanging onto this thread, that’s DMac.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

State of the program IMO
I disagree fairly strongly with HF16 on the lame duck issue - the 2020 class is what - 7/9 months (I can never keep track) from being able to sign NLIs? And that is a class with a couple easily identifiable talents (starting with Grimes and McDermott) - think of the Shays/Corrigans/Tiffanys and other poachers of the world let loose on that class with no news on Petro. And if you want Petro out you need to give the new coach enough time to try to shore up that class. And if you want Nadelin (though I think he made a bad in game mistake at the end of regulation yesterday) this is the year. It's the cheapest you'll ever have to buy out Petro and I have not heard that Nadelin is extended at Towson yet (maybe I missed it). Any body that wants Petro to stay but to get a new defensive coordinator - that idea is not really possible because it would require Petro to fire Dwan (only 2 paid assistants) which is Never going to happen.

Now players - I will try to stick to facts/stats and not really insult anyone personally

Goalie - projected grade - C-
Incumbent did not play well - especially on long range shots - was replaced after 1st qtr of NCAA first round for only time of the year
Replacement fared OK for 3 quarters - bigger - left handed
Freshmen (DNP) and Incoming recruit
Conclusion - low level of experience at the most important position

Close Defense - projected grade C+/B- (if Foley returns) - overall some athleticism - not terrific on ground balls (save Foley's 1 game against Maryland) - troubles may be related to having to cover for SSDMs
If Foley returns - Petro in particular would have the issue of no excuses - 3 seniors - 3 years of playing together - if there is selfishness (Petro's favorite word)/poor play who is to blame? Also raises the issue of replacing every member of close D in 2021
6 other returning (theoretically) players with little to no experience -
Brandon Shure played on man down in 8 games but must have been replaced for some others - junior - garnered 1 gb as only stat

5 Recruits - Some are held in some regard - Rodgers is Hopkins lone Xanders' 5 star and Jaronski gets some high marks -some of these names may eventually play LSM - Jaronski is described as big/versatile

Conclusion: If Foley returns high level of experience - would seem little room under current regime for any returning player to gain experience
If Foley does not return - no clear cut lead to replace him especially among returning players

Long Stick Midfield Defense - Projected Grade D+/C-
Little apparent depth - need demonstration of increased presence on the wings - ground ball pick-ups - on ball defense
Conclusion - Beyond Reinson and Blondell - whom?

SSDM - Project Grade D/D+
One known incumbent - may have to rely on some freshmen - Coulter returning?
Conclusion: Many unknowns - current incumbent is listed at 5'10" 200 lbs - may benefit from shedding some lbs to improve quickness
Some comments in recruiting land that incoming 2 or 3 players could land at SSDM

Offensive Midfield - Projected Grade C-/C
There are several question marks here - Is Concannon returning? Was Zinn happy with his role i.e. no transfer portal? Does this years midfield lose 1 or more to the attack and whom? Smith/DeSimone/Concannon/Keogh/Baskin - this assumes Concannon and Zinn return and Zinn goes to the first mid-field and Smith departs for the vacated attack spot.
1st Mid-field - DeSimone/Zinn/Concannon - junior soph senior
2nd Mid-field - Keogh/Baskin/Cattoni - junior junior soph
DeSimone has to regain his speed and quickness and his shooting confidence - at 5'11" 185/190 lbs is better than 200 - can't have a first midfielder with 4 goals and 11% shooting
This still leaves the All Airport threesome of sophomores - Lily/Mabbett/Degnon - looking for work - I think one of them is really going to have to make a huge leap to crack the line-up for playing time if everybody returns - Degnon 3 games 0 stats - Lily 6 games 1 shot 1 TO Mabbett 1 Goal 2 shots 1 ground ball
Still have issue of only 1 mid-fielder taller than 6 ft on the top 2 lines if my line-ups are anywhere near accurate - Keogh and Baskin were more than neutralized by the Notre Dame SSDMs - it's a fact that our offensive middies get pushed around

Conclusion: Any hope has to be pinned on Zinn making the leap/DeSimone recovering his mojo and the munchkins still developing along - little apparent help in the 2019 class - more in 2020

Attack - Projected Grade B+
Epstein/Williams/Smith - that's a fine attack - soph/senior/senior - Smith's shooting efficiency will work well with Epstein and Williams - Williams obviously needs to improve on 26% shooting - I thought maybe Carc's most insightful comment last night was around Williams and overhand 3/4 shooting vs side-arm - accuracy seems to dip way down on the sidewinders
No returning depth - though Baskin/Keogh can be emergency depth
Shilling - another smaller player - used on EMO
5 attack recruits? Murphy/Krampf/Chauvette/Angelus/Cohen
4 of the attack recruits are small - e.g. Chauvette 5'10" 165 Cohen 5'9" 160
5? Really??

Face-offs - Projected Grade B/B+
Prouty at 57% and M. Narewski at 51% in their first real seasons of action give reason for optimism - wing play and ground balls need to improved
Hopkins likely won the clamp more than 50% of the time last night - absolutely abused after that
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:34 pm
And if you want Nadelin (though I think he made a bad in game mistake at the end of regulation yesterday) this is the year. It's the cheapest you'll ever have to buy out Petro and I have not heard that Nadelin is extended at Towson yet (maybe I missed it).
The bloom is off that rose.
No need to apologize.
That’s big time D1 athletics and coaching.
Nadelen is still top notch, but there have been a couple hiccups the last couple years.
Nadelen really isn’t the shiny new kid on the block any more.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:34 pm State of the program IMO
I disagree fairly strongly with HF16 on the lame duck issue - the 2020 class is what - 7/9 months (I can never keep track) from being able to sign NLIs? And that is a class with a couple easily identifiable talents (starting with Grimes and McDermott) - think of the Shays/Corrigans/Tiffanys and other poachers of the world let loose on that class with no news on Petro. And if you want Petro out you need to give the new coach enough time to try to shore up that class. And if you want Nadelin (though I think he made a bad in game mistake at the end of regulation yesterday) this is the year. It's the cheapest you'll ever have to buy out Petro and I have not heard that Nadelin is extended at Towson yet (maybe I missed it). Any body that wants Petro to stay but to get a new defensive coordinator - that idea is not really possible because it would require Petro to fire Dwan (only 2 paid assistants) which is Never going to happen.

Now players - I will try to stick to facts/stats and not really insult anyone personally

Goalie - projected grade - C-
Incumbent did not play well - especially on long range shots - was replaced after 1st qtr of NCAA first round for only time of the year
Replacement fared OK for 3 quarters - bigger - left handed
Freshmen (DNP) and Incoming recruit
Conclusion - low level of experience at the most important position

Close Defense - projected grade C+/B- (if Foley returns) - overall some athleticism - not terrific on ground balls (save Foley's 1 game against Maryland) - troubles may be related to having to cover for SSDMs
If Foley returns - Petro in particular would have the issue of no excuses - 3 seniors - 3 years of playing together - if there is selfishness (Petro's favorite word)/poor play who is to blame? Also raises the issue of replacing every member of close D in 2021
6 other returning (theoretically) players with little to no experience -
Brandon Shure played on man down in 8 games but must have been replaced for some others - junior - garnered 1 gb as only stat

5 Recruits - Some are held in some regard - Rodgers is Hopkins lone Xanders' 5 star and Jaronski gets some high marks -some of these names may eventually play LSM - Jaronski is described as big/versatile

Conclusion: If Foley returns high level of experience - would seem little room under current regime for any returning player to gain experience
If Foley does not return - no clear cut lead to replace him especially among returning players

Long Stick Midfield Defense - Projected Grade D+/C-
Little apparent depth - need demonstration of increased presence on the wings - ground ball pick-ups - on ball defense
Conclusion - Beyond Reinson and Blondell - whom?

SSDM - Project Grade D/D+
One known incumbent - may have to rely on some freshmen - Coulter returning?
Conclusion: Many unknowns - current incumbent is listed at 5'10" 200 lbs - may benefit from shedding some lbs to improve quickness
Some comments in recruiting land that incoming 2 or 3 players could land at SSDM

Offensive Midfield - Projected Grade C-/C
There are several question marks here - Is Concannon returning? Was Zinn happy with his role i.e. no transfer portal? Does this years midfield lose 1 or more to the attack and whom? Smith/DeSimone/Concannon/Keogh/Baskin - this assumes Concannon and Zinn return and Zinn goes to the first mid-field and Smith departs for the vacated attack spot.
1st Mid-field - DeSimone/Zinn/Concannon - junior soph senior
2nd Mid-field - Keogh/Baskin/Cattoni - junior junior soph
DeSimone has to regain his speed and quickness and his shooting confidence - at 5'11" 185/190 lbs is better than 200 - can't have a first midfielder with 4 goals and 11% shooting
This still leaves the All Airport threesome of sophomores - Lily/Mabbett/Degnon - looking for work - I think one of them is really going to have to make a huge leap to crack the line-up for playing time if everybody returns - Degnon 3 games 0 stats - Lily 6 games 1 shot 1 TO Mabbett 1 Goal 2 shots 1 ground ball
Still have issue of only 1 mid-fielder taller than 6 ft on the top 2 lines if my line-ups are anywhere near accurate - Keogh and Baskin were more than neutralized by the Notre Dame SSDMs - it's a fact that our offensive middies get pushed around

Conclusion: Any hope has to be pinned on Zinn making the leap/DeSimone recovering his mojo and the munchkins still developing along - little apparent help in the 2019 class - more in 2020

Attack - Projected Grade B+
Epstein/Williams/Smith - that's a fine attack - soph/senior/senior - Smith's shooting efficiency will work well with Epstein and Williams - Williams obviously needs to improve on 26% shooting - I thought maybe Carc's most insightful comment last night was around Williams and overhand 3/4 shooting vs side-arm - accuracy seems to dip way down on the sidewinders
No returning depth - though Baskin/Keogh can be emergency depth
Shilling - another smaller player - used on EMO
5 attack recruits? Murphy/Krampf/Chauvette/Angelus/Cohen
5? Really??

Face-offs - Projected Grade B/B+
Prouty at 57% and M. Narewski at 51% in their first real seasons of action give reason for optimism - wing play and ground balls need to improved
Hopkins likely won the clamp more than 50% of the time last night - absolutely abused after that
You're right about the lame duck thing, my math was off by a year—thought those 2020 kids had already committed. My mistake. You definitely do not want to risk losing anyone from that class, which I think will probably be our most impactful as a group since the Shack/Tinney/Moreland class.

Nice summary, agree with most evaluations. To fill in some of the gaps:

- Chauvette is now with the 2020 class I believe. So only 4 attackmen incoming: Murphy/Krampf/Angelus/Cohen. Don't know much about Cohen. The other three have ability but there doesn't appear to be much PT up for grabs at the position unless Smith stays at midfield. Is Burnett still coming? Haven't heard a peep about him since he reclassed.

- DeSimone absolutely 1000% must regain the burst he showed as a freshman. I don't understand the logic behind the weight gain—my assumption is they knew he'd be getting poled this year more and thought he needed to get stronger. The result was...not as intended.

- I don't think Zinn is going anywhere but if he does, the blame is placed squarely on this staff and it'll be completely soul-crushing to watch him become an All-American at Duke or UVA. But I think he's staying.

- I will continue to lobby for Degnon to get a chance as I lobbied for Zinn. He is a tall, rangy, lefty shooter who can possibly fill a little bit of the role vacated by Marr. Was a very good player at Dematha. He is credited with "appearing" in 3 games but I don't think he was allowed to touch the ball. Mabbett had that one goal against PSU's backups, but that did not seem to earn him even a sniff of playing time in a game that mattered. If he gets a step quicker I think he could be very good. HOB has harped on this I think—Mabbett is a good passer from the top of the formation. Sees the field well, can make the skip passes.

- LSM: Of the guys currently on the roster, Gomez is a name to watch. Long Island kid who plays with an edge. Can play both LSM and close but his path to PT at Hopkins is probably faster at LSM. Re: incoming guys, heard good things about Jaronski and Ruddy. Finley-Ponds from what I've heard is a little undersized but extremely quick and athletic, could be someone to keep an eye on.

- I hope Foley comes back but if he doesn't, what are the options? Reinson could move down to close, but that leaves a gaping hole at LSM. Otherwise your choices are Shure/Capobianco/Kenneally/Gomez/etc. of the current crop. Kenneally had some hype as a high IQ guy, needs to hit the weight room. Of the incoming guys, Rodgers is the best bet to find the field his first year at either close or LSM.

- Two total unknowns to me are Schreiber and Brunner—if anyone knows anything about these kids that'd be helpful. Potentially our only true offensive middie options in the incoming class as I'm quite certain Handsor/Glassmeyer/Chambers are more likely to be SSDMs or wing players. As mentioned Witman has changed his commitment to D2.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hopefully all the incoming recruits and hopeful starters are keeping up with the Hop thread.
Should keep the flame of desire to play for the Jays burning red hot.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Tim Marcille made some key saves down the stretch as nationally 4th ranked Gonzaga just won the WCAC Championship over St. John 8-6. Really like his outlet passes. Congrats.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Wheels wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Did you know that wombats have square poop?
To be more accurate, it’s cubic. I have photos, but not at sunrise or sunset.
kennypowers

Post by kennypowers »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 pm
University was all over the news this spring trying to fix problems at Baltimore city hall and running around the state trying to get the OK to spend university dollars on a police force to protect people who in some cases have nothing to do with Hopkins. Maybe Daniels can take a few minutes to deal with something that's actually in his job description and that actually counts to alumni/students.
The main point of that police force is to protect Hopkins employees/students who work in and live near the med campus, which is in one of the more dangerous parts of the city. Hopkins is much bigger than the undergrad campus or the lacrosse program. I agree that Petro needs to go, but that's not a decision that Daniels is going to make or even should care much about. That's on Shanahan, but she isn't going to do it until the boosters get fed up with Petro. I don't think she's going to risk pissing them off by firing their friend until they agree that it's time.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

A friendly suggestion....for 2020 why not retire the "fallout shelter" moniker? Too negative! Start the positive mojo now. You're Hopkins! The greatest program in lacrosse history!

When the big and traditional teams are strong: Jays, Orange, Heels, etc..., the entire landscape is more entertaining. I hope the best for Coach Petro and the Jays in 2020!
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

kennypowers wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:12 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 pm
University was all over the news this spring trying to fix problems at Baltimore city hall and running around the state trying to get the OK to spend university dollars on a police force to protect people who in some cases have nothing to do with Hopkins. Maybe Daniels can take a few minutes to deal with something that's actually in his job description and that actually counts to alumni/students.
The main point of that police force is to protect Hopkins employees/students who work in and live near the med campus, which is in one of the more dangerous parts of the city. Hopkins is much bigger than the undergrad campus or the lacrosse program. I agree that Petro needs to go, but that's not a decision that Daniels is going to make or even should care much about. That's on Shanahan, but she isn't going to do it until the boosters get fed up with Petro. I don't think she's going to risk pissing them off by firing their friend until they agree that it's time.
Do any of the “boosters” post on this board? Does anyone on here know how to get in touch with them?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

cantrelax wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 am A friendly suggestion....for 2020 why not retire the "fallout shelter" moniker? Too negative! Start the positive mojo now. You're Hopkins! The greatest program in lacrosse history!

When the big and traditional teams are strong: Jays, Orange, Heels, etc..., the entire landscape is more entertaining. I hope the best for Coach Petro and the Jays in 2020!
I created the Fallout Shelter title for 2019, and it’s a reference to the shuttering of LaxPower. The castoffs landed here.

But sure, it’s not needed for 2020.

We can change it to the Titanic or something.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

5? Really??
Go look at PSU's top 6-8, all smaller guys. Their best player #1 is smaller than the size you are concerned about. JHU's best player is only 5'10"
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

youthathletics wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 am
5? Really??
Go look at PSU's top 6-8, all smaller guys. Their best player #1 is smaller than the size you are concerned about. JHU's best player is only 5'10"

there is nothing wrong with small. Biter was probably 5'7" but if you are small, you better be fast and quick to the point you can beat a guy otherwise you get what you have with Hopkins i.e. you don't get the defense moving on slides to open up easy passes to open guys.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”