Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote:Should have named it Operation Impenetrable Nationalist.

The migrants are noticing. If it helps cause these caravans to fizzle out & deter others, it's worth it.
The images are aimed at the migrants as much as they are at Trump's base.

Otherwise, the concertina wire, vehicle barriers, refugee tent cities, & air mobile MP's teamed with CBP will help reduce incursions & drug smuggling, while signalling that Trump's doing everything in his power to block illegal entries, which will be further deterrence.
Army troops manning HQ consoles frees up CBP agents for the field & border check points.
Mattis doesn't do stunts.

A barrier & border security are working in Hungary.
I hope you are correct on this one old salt. Our troops have to be limited in a support capacity. The people on the US side of the concertina wire have to be border agent and law enforcement folks doing all the rounding up of people. I am very much at unease with the role the military has been given here. I can understand why some folks at higher up don't like it. I hope their mission and their role here has been clearly defined in some manner. If the folks in charge in DC had dealt with this a long time ago we would not have this problem today. There are a lot of things I don't agree with Trump on but on this issue he is doing what he said he would do. I may not agree with the methods and I hope there is a plan in place that deals with the issue in a humanitarian way. I don't know what the strategery is but I know the plan is not to allow a large group of people that we know very little about to force their way across the border. To be redundant, if Washington had addressed this problem years ago we would not have this dilemma today.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote:

The migrants are noticing. If it helps cause these caravans to fizzle out & deter others, it's worth it.

Otherwise, the concertina wire, vehicle barriers, refugee tent cities, & air mobile MP's teamed with CBP will help reduce incursions & drug smuggling, while signalling that Trump's doing everything in his power to block illegal entries, which will be further deterrence.
Army troops manning HQ consoles frees up CBP agents for the field & border check points.

I hope you are correct on this one old salt. Our troops have to be limited in a support capacity. The people on the US side of the concertina wire have to be border agent and law enforcement folks doing all the rounding up of people. I am very much at unease with the role the military has been given here. I can understand why some folks at higher up don't like it. I hope their mission and their role here has been clearly defined in some manner. If the folks in charge in DC had dealt with this a long time ago we would not have this problem today. There are a lot of things I don't agree with Trump on but on this issue he is doing what he said he would do. I may not agree with the methods and I hope there is a plan in place that deals with the issue in a humanitarian way. I don't know what the strategery is but I know the plan is not to allow a large group of people that we know very little about to force their way across the border. To be redundant, if Washington had addressed this problem years ago we would not have this dilemma today.
Your CinC protested so much his feet hurt. Sh*t happens. Hopefully nothing stupid happens when the 1,000 or so people show up seeking asylum.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote:

I was with you on the first couple of sentences, but then you tacked and I 'lost the wind'.

I'm puzzled by why it is somehow good that Trump is 'doing what he said he would do' as if it matters not at all what that is. (Youth said something quite similar). Is any "statement" or "promise" no matter how stupid, bad policy, costly, immoral, illegal, whatever... somehow washed clean because the POTUS has followed through?

He said he'd have the troops shoot the migrants if they threw rocks...so, would it be 'good' if he followed through on that one?

Pretty sure you won't get any argument from anyone in favor of "allow(ing) a large group of people that we know very little about to force their way across the border." Pretty sure we'd all agree that wouldn't be appropriate.

But the notion that this caravan on foot is actually threatening to bum rush the border, blowing past the border patrol, sure seems like nonsense to me.

Now, if we were to say that there is a big logistics challenge in processing these folks humanely and swiftly, appropriately discerning those with legitimate asylum claims from those who do not, then absolutely a matter for concern. But it's primarily an administrative judge shortage issue, and a food and housing issue, not a military threat.

So, how about a "surge" of administrative judge hiring and training?
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:

I was with you on the first couple of sentences, but then you tacked and I 'lost the wind'.

I'm puzzled by why it is somehow good that Trump is 'doing what he said he would do' as if it matters not at all what that is. (Youth said something quite similar). Is any "statement" or "promise" no matter how stupid, bad policy, costly, immoral, illegal, whatever... somehow washed clean because the POTUS has followed through?

He said he'd have the troops shoot the migrants if they threw rocks...so, would it be 'good' if he followed through on that one?

Pretty sure you won't get any argument from anyone in favor of "allow(ing) a large group of people that we know very little about to force their way across the border." Pretty sure we'd all agree that wouldn't be appropriate.

But the notion that this caravan on foot is actually threatening to bum rush the border, blowing past the border patrol, sure seems like nonsense to me.

Now, if we were to say that there is a big logistics challenge in processing these folks humanely and swiftly, appropriately discerning those with legitimate asylum claims from those who do not, then absolutely a matter for concern. But it's primarily an administrative judge shortage issue, and a food and housing issue, not a military threat.

Resources that would help have been cut and eliminated by the current administration....
old salt

Post by old salt »

"The migrants are noticing"...sure, they got TV's and cell phone data connections?
The BBC interviewed one who said he was turning around because of the troops to the border.
Probably a plant.

Next time you see video of the caravan migrants in one of their overnight community center stops,
notice how many have phones & how well fed they appear.

c&S -- here's how the active duty Army enablers can support CBP, just like the Army National Guard does,
only they don't have to leave their civilian jobs & they're already on the payroll.
http://www.military.com/video/civil-def ... 2972137001
https://abcnews.go.com/US/national-guar ... d=54296990
The Army Guard have been flying their Kiowas on search & surveillance missions, then inserting CBP teams via Blackhawk.
The regular Army aviation units can do the same, just more of them.
Force multipliers, not trigger pullers.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Some believe the media have actually added R votes by making this a story, when in fact it should have been a non-story. https://twitter.com/larryoconnor/status ... 48224?s=21
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote:Some believe the media have actually added R votes by making this a story, when in fact it should have been a non-story. https://twitter.com/larryoconnor/status ... 48224?s=21
Probably true - Trump knows what brings out his base and how to stoke fear. If the media had ignored Trump's inanity in the first place he probably wouldn't have won the primary.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote:
youthathletics wrote:Some believe the media have actually added R votes by making this a story, when in fact it should have been a non-story. https://twitter.com/larryoconnor/status ... 48224?s=21
Probably true - Trump knows what brings out his base and how to stoke fear. If the media had ignored Trump's inanity in the first place he probably wouldn't have won the primary.
But....Hillary wanted tRump, just like Mike Tyson wanted Buster.....oops
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:

I am not judging if trumps decision is right or wrong. I only stated he is doing what he said he would do. I suppose if he did nothing the counter argument would be made that he didn't do what he said he would. I don't agree with what Trump is doing. It is what he said he would do.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

cradleandshoot wrote:I am not judging if trumps decision is right or wrong. I only stated he is doing what he said he would do. I suppose if he did nothing the counter argument would be made that he didn't do what he said he would. I don't agree with what Trump is doing. It is what he said he would do.
...and there's the rub. As MD points out, it's just NOT OK to "follow through" on "what you say" when what you say is so full of lies and political tripe that it BEGS to be evaluated as to worth. Precious little critical thinking...or ANY thinking, for that matter.

it's whats wrong with the typical trump supporter...the ones that are left, at least... :roll:

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote:Image

That is pretty damn funny dis. What do you call that a Trojan Pinata?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote:
cradleandshoot wrote:I am not judging if trumps decision is right or wrong. I only stated he is doing what he said he would do. I suppose if he did nothing the counter argument would be made that he didn't do what he said he would. I don't agree with what Trump is doing. It is what he said he would do.
...and there's the rub. As MD points out, it's just NOT OK to "follow through" on "what you say" when what you say is so full of lies and political tripe that it BEGS to be evaluated as to worth. Precious little critical thinking...or ANY thinking, for that matter.

it's whats wrong with the typical trump supporter...the ones that are left, at least... :roll:

On this point dis I don't disagree with you. This was done to make his base happy and drum up votes. IMO it has nothing to do with doing what is right or wrong. If you are a Trumper the optics of these soldiers laying miles of concertina wire gives the comfort the gubmint is doing some thing... anything. The main objective is to get republicans out to vote. It ain't that complicated my yellow friend but you already know what the end game is
old salt

Post by old salt »

cradleandshoot wrote: That is pretty damn funny dis. What do you call that a Trojan Pinata?
That is a hilarious image. IMHO, anything Trump does to keep immigration in the news is a good thing.

We need reform, even if piecemeal, starting with closing the legal loopholes which allow this asylum scam,
which prompts Central American economic migrants to make the dangerous journey north.

They should lose their refugee status when they pass up the UNHCR opportunity & the generous offer of asylum in Mexico.
I don't buy the excuse that conditions in the northern triangle are that much worse than several other places in this hemisphere.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

First thing I would do - resolve the DACA/DREAMER issue.
old salt

Post by old salt »

It's like pulling a string. Then what about the DACA Dreamers' parents, who are still here illegally ?

...& the non-DACA Dreamers, outside the DACA time window of opportunity, or who didn't sign up ?

...& then their parents, who are still here illegally ?

... & then what about the rest of the 11-22 million still here illegally ?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
geezus H chris christ ......snl's laughtrack makes me wanna explode.......so LAME
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: geezus H chris christ ......snl's laughtrack makes me wanna explode.......so LAME
I miss the laugh track on Happy Days

Return to “POLITICS”