Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: seacoaster may be pleased about this...

Post by LarryGamLax »

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:22 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:39 pm
Very good news.
Hmm, what if VT coach takes UNH job?!
I was having a very pleasant evening until you put that thought in my head. You know, a certain likely Tewaaraton winner will be graduating in May only 60 Mike’s south of Durham. Perfect first coaching gig for CN?!?!

Relax. I’m joking. She needs at least a year of coaching experience.

Am I reading this right or am I missing the sarcasm? In Women's sports(Lacrosse, example) you only need to be, a good to very good to great player, with one year of coaching experience and you are ready to take over a College program? Really? Give me two examples where that has ever worked?
tothedraw

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by tothedraw »

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

tothedraw wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:16 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/58059
broken link
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:19 pm
tothedraw wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:16 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/58059
broken link
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article ... ach/58059
Last edited by glaxer24 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Thank you ! In my haste, I probably messed that up.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Looks like the rumor was not a rumor at all. I'm guessing they will have to announce tomorrow at the latest so we will find out what happens to the wlax opening....VT coach perhaps, no such thing as coincidences!! :D
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:35 pm Looks like the rumor was not a rumor at all. I'm guessing they will have to announce tomorrow at the latest so we will find out what happens to the wlax opening....VT coach perhaps, no such thing as coincidences!! :D
Uhhhhhh no
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

LOL Brad Stevens failed up. John Sung will not. Promise.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:16 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:09 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:03 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:23 pm
fourtyfive wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:18 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:15 pm [quote="Dr. Tact" post_id=268564 time=<a href="tel:1622914553">1622914553</a> user_id=429]
Hearing a rumor of a major coaching change at a top program. Need to get some confirmation, but if true, HUGE.

Expect confirmation/refutation early next week.
Rumor from men’s forum:

John Desko to retire

Gait to the men's team with Petro to join his staff

Spallina to take over the Women's team
Kayla treanor to take over the women’s team.
Either way: Earthquake. Wow.
Once Spallina’s son committed to Syracuse.... the rumor that had been circulating around kind of became .....maybe some truth to it ....Spallina stays in NYS teacher system - so all good there $$$...
but where is treanor going? To Syracuse again?
Spallina has small children still in school. And coaches them. I highly
Doubt he will uproot his family and move north. He’s doing an excellent job right where he is
As far as traenor. That would be awesome

And none of you have any clue as to how much Joe loves where he lives. And it's important to him to win with something he built, as opposed to someone else's team.
[/quote]

Its coming Larry...Spallina to Syracuse....Maybe he will live part time up there and leave the kids in school in LI :)
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:43 am Now that is a plum job ... VU hot, hot, hot right now in the regions where lax players grow.

There needs to a be a stronger commitment to women's lacrosse at VU, its not nearly as strong as it should be.

Joe
This could not be more accurate! VU will never make progress as a program unless it improves their lacrosse funding. Too heavily focused on men’s basketball.

About Cuse, despite being an alum, my personal opinion is that Treanor is not experienced enough to take on an ACC program that just went to a national championship game. If they are specifically after an alum, IMO Michelle Tumolo would be a better fit.

Spallina will definitely be in the mix and has to be the likeliest candidate, but if not then what about others - thinking of Associate Head Coaches or very experienced assistants?

- Dana Dobbie - Loyola (closer to home?)
- Kristen Carr - Hopkins (only just moved there a year ago and a Baltimore native though?)
- Jenn Cook - Princeton
- Kelly Devlin - Navy
- Kerri Whittaker - Penn

Or even an existing HC like Devon Wills who wants a more competitive group than Harvard?

All probably have more experience in high level programs than Treanor and Tumolo..

Looking forward to this triggering the domino effect with coaching vacancies this summer.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:36 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:50 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:43 am Now that is a plum job ... VU hot, hot, hot right now in the regions where lax players grow.

There needs to a be a stronger commitment to women's lacrosse at VU, its not nearly as strong as it should be.

Joe
This could not be more accurate! VU will never make progress as a program unless it improves their lacrosse funding. Too heavily focused on men’s basketball.

About Cuse, despite being an alum, my personal opinion is that Treanor is not experienced enough to take on an ACC program that just went to a national championship game. If they are specifically after an alum, IMO Michelle Tumolo would be a better fit.

Spallina will definitely be in the mix and has to be the likeliest candidate, but if not then what about others - thinking of Associate Head Coaches or very experienced assistants?

- Dana Dobbie - Loyola (closer to home?)
- Kristen Carr - Hopkins (only just moved there a year ago and a Baltimore native though?)
- Jenn Cook - Princeton
- Kelly Devlin - Navy
- Kerri Whittaker - Penn

Or even an existing HC like Devon Wills who wants a more competitive group than Harvard?

All probably have more experience in high level programs than Treanor and Tumolo..

Looking forward to this triggering the domino effect with coaching vacancies this summer.
Katie Rowan. Another alum. They need a Cuse alum to keep the recruits coming
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Chris Jastrzembski twitter
So with Treanor reportedly turning down the Cuse women's job, I think you have to consider the following:

Michelle Tumolo (Wagner HC)
Katie Rowan (UAlbany HC)
Joe Spallina (Stony Brook HC)
Regy Thorpe (Pitt assistant, former Cuse assistant)
Caitlin Defliese (Cuse assistant)
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:43 pm Per Chris Jastrzembski twitter
So with Treanor reportedly turning down the Cuse women's job, I think you have to consider the following:

Michelle Tumolo (Wagner HC)
Katie Rowan (UAlbany HC)
Joe Spallina (Stony Brook HC)
Regy Thorpe (Pitt assistant, former Cuse assistant)
Caitlin Defliese (Cuse assistant)
Regy is not leaving Pitt LOL He’s building a new program
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

FYI …Another Cuse alum, Kim Wayne-Davidson HC, just won A10 COY
Last edited by Dasher on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

So Treanor turned down the Syracuse job? Has that been corroborated elsewhere? That seems like a strange career move if true.

I'm sure SU will go after Spallina and I'm sure he'll stay right where he is. Devon Wills is an interesting option. She's a great coach and a great recruiter, I'd love to see what she could do at Cuse. Wonder if she's fed up with the Ivy League.
Laxmom!!

Post by Laxmom!! »

What about someone like Katrina Dowd?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Katrina’s tenure, and the state of the program after her departure, doesn’t exactly scream accomplished head coach. I think they tried to stay inside the Syracuse family with Treanor. Beyond her, I think they try to find an accomplished head coach. Spallina target 1
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I think Tumolo now has something like 2 or 3 head coaching years under her belt. I also assume she is well-connected in the NJ and Long Island recruiting avenues. Respectfully, she seems like a more plausible choice than KT.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:35 am I think Tumolo now has something like 2 or 3 head coaching years under her belt. I also assume she is well-connected in the NJ and Long Island recruiting avenues. Respectfully, she seems like a more plausible choice than KT.
I totally agree with you - Tumolo would be a great choice. But it will be Spallina. And good luck to SB without him.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”