Ivy League 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Ivy League 2019

Post by DMac »

You'd never have to score on yourself to ensure getting in with their system either.
;)
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Seems that as you get to the mid-lower tier tie-breaking scenarios, near-random stats are used without really thinking about their value or having assessed what scenarios and their impacts would be. I guess I like adding a play-in game to add one more team to the ILT. Let the PIG losing team play a TBD conference game versus an ACC or Big 10 first round losing team.

Good articles on all the tie-breaking scenarios with Links:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... otti/54356
https://goprincetontigers.com/news/2019 ... ?path=mlax

Still dislike the the ILT scheduled for non-Men's Lax Columbia University. Should reward the regular season league champion. Guess it is New York pizza and not Philly cheese steaks this year. And it's not even New Haven pizza (biased here, of course).
Lux et veritas
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 am
RedIvy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:15 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:00 am Princeton v Harvard: both of these teams have a mathematical chance of making the ILT, but desperately need to win today. Princeton ends its Ivy schedule at Cornell, while Harvard closes with Yale; so at 1-3 each, the winner today will have a massive task, while the loser is toast.... probably a scrap in the NJ rain. Princeton 13 Harvard 8.

Brown v Cornell: probably a soggy Providence battle; both teams 2-2, with Brown playing Dartmouth next weekend. Cornell 12-10.

Penn v Dartmouth in Philly: Penn 21 Dartmouth 6.

Wow... Cornell 12 Brown 9, Penn 22 Dartmouth 6
Put a thousand monkeys in front of a thousand computer screens... Anyway, big weekend coming up:

Penn v Vermont (playing in Wilton, CT): Penn 14-7
Yale @ Harvard: Yale 16-11
Princeton @ Cornell: Cornell 13-9
Brown @ Dartmouth: Brown 15-6
Having tried and failed a couple of times, these games are trickier to predict than they should be. I am going with the four favorites, but wouldn't be at all surprised to see one upset among the 4 contests.

Penn 12-8 over Vermont. Catamounts have a very stingy defense with an excellent goalie.
Yale 14-9 over Harvard. The Crimson have the best face-off coach in D1, Joe Nardella. He personally beats Baptiste who finished even with Ierlan last year, but unfortunately Joe isn't suiting up tomorrow. Can he concoct some plan to keep TD below 70%???
Cornell 12-10. Playing a hunch that Teat won't be Teat tomorrow. Also the nasty weather forecast may hold scoring down.
Brown 18-8. Bruno has been a model of inconsistency this season, but may be peaking at the right time. They can be a little mean in running up the score on weaker opponents like Quinnipiac, Bryant and Dartmouth.
Shock the World

Post by Shock the World »

All-Ivy League, POY, ROY, COY predictions?
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Obviously Murphy and Handley will win Coach and Rookie. IMO Goldner should be the 3rd attack with Teat and Sowers. It’s a stacked position in the league. Sowers POY.
Outside of Handley any # of guys could see 1st team midfield.
Fake/Evanchick and maybe Salvatore on D? Mullins for Goalie. No clue LSM.
All-Ivy always has some surprises because it’s based on League play only—if I had to make a guess at the surprise: Teat had some quiet league games, it’s possible he’s left off despite being a 1st team AA player. Morrill or Piatelli could sneak in there.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Shock the World wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 pm All-Ivy League, POY, ROY, COY predictions?
A - Sowers, Goldner, Teat (assuming good game tomorrow)
M - Handley, Cordrey, Grell
FOGO - Ierlan
LSM - Salvatore
SSDM - Stevens (based on GBs)
D - Evanchick, Hynes, Butler
G - Junkin
COY - Murphy
POY - Ierlan (not close)
ROY - Handley (not close)
calourie

Post by calourie »

Ivy coaches tend to take their all-Ivy votes pretty seriously and tend as well to limit them to performances among the Ivies.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Two names we might see:

A: Petterson, Cornell

D: Fake, Yale
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Good news for espn+ viewers next week: Ryan Boyle said on the OSU/Michigan broadcast he'll be doing the ILT. I believe also his pxp partner on that B1G broadcast; he was good also.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

thetruth wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:42 pm
Shock the World wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 pm All-Ivy League, POY, ROY, COY predictions?
FOGO - Ierlan
LSM - Salvatore
G - Junkin
COY - Murphy
POY - Ierlan (not close)
I like your inclusion of Hynes on defense, thetruth — I think he has had a terrific year now that he’s back and healthy. Chris Fake of course is also a factor in this and I should but don’t recall who Hynes/Fake have matched up with in terms of the #1 attackman in league contests. And absolutely right that attack is loaded — I think Morrill/Gaudet might be in the discussion but could not argue if they went with your list.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

As expected, we’ve got a good one going in Ithaca right now — tied at halftime and now it’s Cornell up by one early in the third period. Both teams look looked on and hungry for the win today and they are competing hard.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cornell should be up by about six but they find themselves down by one (9-8), sure are missing the cage a lot on shots from in close...gotta put it on cage. Letting those Tigers hang around aint a good idea.

BP should come down for the Big Red faithful in a few hours, what a finish.
Big Red should have put this one away in the first half but a W is a W.
Congrats to the Red.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Cornell keeps its' NCAA at-large hopes alive with its' 14-13 hotly contested victory over Princeton, but I would be surprised if Sowers didn't wrap up the Ivy POY honor with another amazing game today. It is a shame he couldn't carry his team into the postseason to have another shot at showcasing his skills.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Hincks from Dartmouth looked good again today, saving 13 of 24. Been admiring his game since high school. From a quick glance, it looks as if he will finish #1 in Ivy saves per game and #2 in Ivy save %. Would love to see him get some post season recognition.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:42 pm
thetruth wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:42 pm
FOGO - Ierlan
LSM - Salvatore
G - Junkin
COY - Murphy
POY - Ierlan (not close)
I like your inclusion of Hynes on defense, thetruth — I think he has had a terrific year now that he’s back and healthy. Chris Fake of course is also a factor in this and I should but don’t recall who Hynes/Fake have matched up with in terms of the #1 attackman in league contests. And absolutely right that attack is loaded — I think Morrill/Gaudet might be in the discussion but could not argue if they went with your list.
Fake was on Teat and did an excellent job. I thought Hynes was excellent against Brown, the best defenseman on the field that day. Fake was probably more consistent throughout the Ivy games... but geez, I wouldn't want to have to choose between Hynes and Fake, and I would guess that Shay is delighted to have them both.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

You could go:

POY-Sowers
ROY-Ierlan
calourie

Post by calourie »

I think the awards go out before the ILT, no? Anyway, Sowers looks like the POY to me with Handley and C. Ierlan fighting it out for ROY. FWIW the Inside Lacrosse stats page triple alloted Penn's stats against Vermont this past Saturday so all the Penn scoring on their stats pages (both individual and team) are distorted upward by a x3 factor of whatever scoring points were accrued during that game. The way they are currently listed makes Handley look like a 62 point (39g, 23a) superstar when his actual numbers are 31gs 21as, not too shabby in itself, but making him look considerably less like he should be a runaway favorite. I have no idea where the voters get their information (I think it is the coaches who do the voting) but I maintain it is important to be looking at legitimate numbers.

Also for what it's worth I just checked the official Ivy League sports site, and they have the correct stats, so hopefully the voters are getting their information accordingly.
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

Hadn’t thought about TD as a rookie. What’s the league ruling on that? If he’s technically a rookie I think you’ve got to give ROY to him, right? Tough given the season that Handley is having (as well as C Ierlan, Hinks, Brandau, and a few others). Congrats to all on incredible rookie regular seasons!
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Big TD fan here, but, seems like RoY should go to a freshman. TD has had plenty of accolades with more likely coming this year. I do think TD should receive strong consideration for the hotly contested PoY. Back to RoY, between Handley and Brandau, Handley has about 20 more points so from an attack's perspective, he gets the nod. I'll say this for Brandau, he really didn't get worked into the regular rotation until about half way through the season, so, I expect his level of play to stay at a high level and even improve. We'll see what the post-season brings for him and for the other freshman.
Last edited by Mid-Lax on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lux et veritas
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Saying "Ierlan" isn't enough: need to specify Chayse or TD. Chayse is definitely a rookie.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”