D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by DMac »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:46 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 am
DMac wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:16 am
tech37 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:18 pm
stupefied wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am Army played with tremendous energy that day and their goalie was on. Surdick is huge and difficult to shoot over or back down. As terrific on ball as Mellen is that wont be the case.. Expecting a higher scoring game (o/u 25) that is tight and entertaining. Two good teams, I give the winner a decent shot at beating PSU
Good call on Spencer/Mellen
Yup, it was obvious that Spencer is just too big and strong for Mellen, so why don't you switch and put Bomberry on him?
Might be worth a look but Spencer too fast for Bomberry IMO.

Spencer and who covered him isn't the issue re this game in my mind...what happened in the middle of the field after third qtr, including FOs and wing play which Cuse had been dominating?
Yup, that too, no disagreement there.
Found it interesting that QK mentioned Buttermore's production despite limited minutes, would have had the ball in his stick a whole lot more than it was too.
LandM

Post by LandM »

Observation – if you watched the post-game interview with the Loyola coach as he started to tear up, the win was about emotions IMHO – two seniors, a goalie and attack kept telling their teammates they wanted another 7 days that is hard to beat, especially when those two seniors stood on their heads. Loyola coach is a class act so are his players.

As the dad of a pole whose kid covered 3 Tewey’s that is fun, that is why you play the game. Mellen is a great player.

As to the firing of Desko folks in Syracuse – go to Syracuse.com – been chattering that for a long time.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Savio was 2nd player of the game He was not losing them earlier but Cuse wings were closing and getting it out of his stick and on the ground for wins. In 2h Savio began to win them clean off whistle into space against both fogos and wings were having to sprint to alleys. Savio finished with ten gbs.

Cuse dominated 1h play and should have up by four or more at end of first half instead of just two. 3q was rather quiet for both but Cuse D began to tire being on field so much in and Spencer showed why he should win the Tewaarton. Thought Mellen played his fairly well but unable to both his field vision given height difference

Dropping Kennedy down or maybe putting ss Dearth were the only options that Desko really had if a switch was made because Spencer too fast in open field for others.

Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to a great player. Cuse is a good team and having that alpha would have Desko hosting a trophy instead of listening to cries for his head

Congrats to Loyola on comeback and moving forward. Good luck vs PSU
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Can Syracuse lacrosse return to glory days? 'We're slowly losing our blue blood status'

https://expo.syracuse.com/sports/g66l-2 ... tatus.html

Former Syracuse lacrosse star Jovan Miller (pictured) turned 30 on May 11.

He decided to spend part of his landmark day watching his former school take on Loyola in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

That turned out to be a mistake. The Orange let a lead slip away and lost 15-13, ending yet another season in disappointment. Miller was sour for the rest of the day.

"I was in a bad mood. I was obviously really sad for the seniors. I watched the game and I was sick to my stomach. I was sick for those kids."

Syracuse fans of all ages can relate. The loss will extend SU's NCAA championship drought to 11 years and counting.

The showcase program of all of college lacrosse, which leads the way with 10 NCAA titles overall, hasn't won a championship since 2009 and hasn't reached the final four since 2013. After losing to Cornell in the opening round last season, this is the first time SU has gone two seasons without winning a NCAA Tournament game since 1981-82.

Syracuse will be a spectator for yet another Memorial Day title game today as defending champ Yale takes on Virginia for the title. The matchup offers a pair of contrasts encapsulating the current lacrosse landscape: Yale is a newcomer that won its first crown in the sport last year while Virginia has five titles and has rediscovered the secret sauce to chase another after a drought that runs back to 2011.

Several ex-SU players and analysts were asked their thoughts on a handful of issues relating to the state of the Orange program.

Here's what they said.

The age of lacrosse parity, and whether Syracuse is still an elite program

"They absolutely will (win again). It's a different world. It's a different era. There's many schools now you can go to and compete for a national championship. It's a testament to lacrosse. It's a testament to the other schools. They've continued to rise."

"When I was growing up and when I was playing at Syracuse, the expectations were always Syracuse was one of two or three teams that could win a national championship," said Carcaterra, now an ESPN analyst. "It (the title drought) was never at the duration it is at now. I still feel Syracuse is an elite program, but they are one of eight instead of one of three or four.

"I do think this (current) team has pieces. This is a team that certainly could be in the mix the next couple of years. I don't think the program's going anywhere.
"

more ...

How I miss those days!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Jovan Miller? Really? Didn't exactly light it up at Cuse despite crazy physical talent!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:15 pm Jovan Miller? Really? Didn't exactly light it up at Cuse despite crazy physical talent!

Mebbe he didn't quite have the backup other Cuse stars have had in the past. Remember how Dave Pietramala largely bottled up Gary Gait? Defense keyed up on GG thereby opening up the field for others who scored the winning goals for Cuse. In 2008, 2009 Cuse was at the very top of the NCAA with a stacked lineup. In the next 2 years, while his stats went upward, he did not quite live up to the leadership role he enjoyed at CBA. But no one else picked up the slack.

Hopefully, some day soon SU will find a genuine field leader to lead the pack to success.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”