Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2019

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm The absence or 6 and 8 on O may very well force the hand of the staff to get back to the drawing board and evolve into more motion offense. The returning attack, coupled with 22, 11, 31, and 5 and some others that rise to the challenge “should” produce and complimentary 6 players on the field at any given time.

I believe there are close to 20 hitting the yard this summer. We should be in god shape.

The D, GK, LSM, and FO all return battle tested.

Coach Sowell and staff have some serious pondering and planning. God....I hope they entertain some serious O schematic changes. Let em play within a high motion standard and develop chemistry during EVERY practice.

#Onward
I was thinking the exact same thing. 6 & 8 were terrific players.
Executing this scheme consistently was the problem.
We know 22, 11, 31 & 5 can score.
Add a couple hockey assist middies in a passing & motion (rather than dodging) based scheme.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

From Patriot League website

http://www.patriotleague.org/news/2019/ ... ?path=mlax

Congrats to Torain and Wade BZ

Surprised nobody made 2nd team , aren’t you ?

FORE

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Tecumseh wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:05 pm From Patriot League website

http://www.patriotleague.org/news/2019/ ... ?path=mlax

Congrats to Torain and Wade BZ

Surprised nobody made 2nd team , aren’t you ?

FORE

“T”
Kudos indeed to Torain & Wade. IMHO, Gk Kern should have been included on 2nd team list considering his HUGE role in keeping Navy in so many games during the 2019 season even with the unfortunate 6-7/.461 and missing the PLT end result...10 of his 13 games were double digit saves and 6 of those 10 games were 15 saves or more per game, including 3 games with 16 saves, including vs. Princeton, and 18 saves each vs. Army and Boston. Once again, the Mids played D >60% of game time causing Gk Kern to see an avg. of 24 SOG/gm (from an avg. of 43 shot attempts/gm) for his .524 sv%.

IMHO, MIDN Ryan Kern is Navy's 2019 Team MVP.
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

+1 totally agree ... Kern is the team MVP , no doubt about it.

Fore

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm The absence or 6 and 8 on O may very well force the hand of the staff to get back to the drawing board and evolve into more motion offense. The returning attack, coupled with 22, 11, 31, and 5 and some others that rise to the challenge “should” produce a complimentary 6 players on the field at any given time.

I believe there are close to 20 hitting the yard this summer. We should be in good shape.

Coach Sowell and staff have some serious pondering and planning. God....I hope they entertain some serious O schematic changes. Let em play within a high motion standard and develop chemistry during EVERY practice.

#Onward
Add a couple hockey assist middies in a passing & motion (rather than dodging) based scheme.
Continuing the discussion on restructuring the current Navy Offense for the 2020 Season....

So crunching some numbers to get a peek at what the current landscape looks like regarding the top 5 scorers for the PL and a few OOC to compare. One thing that stood out was the more successful teams are averaging around 130+ goals by end of regular season from their top performers. As with any stat, there are other metrics to be applied. The reason I pulled this together was to scratch an itch that Navy simply does not score enough.....yea something we already knew. BUT what really drove me to do this, was our peers in the PL are doing it much enough better than we are....Lehigh is the exception which may be that they play extremely slow pace, as they are in the bottom 7 of D1 for pace of play.

Any other ideas or takeaways???

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm The absence or 6 and 8 on O may very well force the hand of the staff to get back to the drawing board and evolve into more motion offense. The returning attack, coupled with 22, 11, 31, and 5 and some others that rise to the challenge “should” produce and complimentary 6 players on the field at any given time.

I believe there are close to 20 hitting the yard this summer. We should be in god shape.

#Onward
Do we know 22,11,31,5 can score? Consistently at the level of a good offense? I am not so sure. I do think 21 can
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

No one knows because the offense was built around midfield dodging downhill. The bulk of the goals came from attackman and assists from a converted attackmen to midfield. #22 can shoot righty and lefty, I know #11 can shoot, and if RS puts them on the field then you know he believes and trusts them.

O stagnation and about 5 skip passes all season killed far too many shooting opportunities.
Last edited by youthathletics on Wed May 01, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

SonnySide wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:14 pm

#Onward
Do we know 22,11,31,5 can score? Consistently at the level of a good offense? I am not so sure. I do think 21 can
Agree. Typo -- I meant 21 vice 11.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typo or not, 11 can shoot, he was on EMO for awhile last year as a plebe for a reason...just had a different number. Agreed, 21 will be fine.
~Livy
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 amAny other ideas or takeaways???
Two things that jump out at me are:
1- I'd have thought that PSU's O would be at the top of the heap. Maybe along with Loyola. Surprising.
2- I don't think that it's a coincidence the that top Point-Getting Teams not only have a Top 5 that perform but a Top 1 that performs.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 amAny other ideas or takeaways???
Two things that jump out at me are:
1- I'd have thought that PSU's O would be at the top of the heap. Maybe along with Loyola. Surprising.
2- I don't think that it's a coincidence the that top Point-Getting Teams not only have a Top 5 that perform but a Top 1 that performs.
How can you have more than one Top One?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Top One Point-Getter. e.g. Spencer at Loyola.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:32 pm The absence or 6 and 8 on O may very well force the hand of the staff to get back to the drawing board and evolve into more motion offense. The returning attack, coupled with 22, 11, 31, and 5 and some others that rise to the challenge “should” produce a complimentary 6 players on the field at any given time.

I believe there are close to 20 hitting the yard this summer. We should be in good shape.

#Onward
Continuing the discussion on restructuring the current Navy Offense for the 2020 Season....

So crunching some numbers to get a peek at what the current landscape looks like regarding the top 5 scorers for the PL and a few OOC to compare. One thing that stood out was the more successful teams are averaging around 130+ goals by end of regular season from their top performers. As with any stat, there are other metrics to be applied. The reason I pulled this together was to scratch an itch that Navy simply does not score enough.....yea something we already knew. BUT what really drove me to do this, was our peers in the PL are doing it much enough better than we are....Lehigh is the exception which may be that they play extremely slow pace, as they are in the bottom 7 of D1 for pace of play.

Any other ideas or takeaways???

+1.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:39 pm No one knows because the offense was built around midfield dodging downhill. The bulk of the goals came from attackman and assists from a converted attackmen to midfield. #22 can shoot righty and lefty, I know #11 can shoot, and if RS puts them on the field then you know he believes and trusts them.
Agree on #22. He won the third spot on the first line and was productive. Any idea on why #11 didn't play more this season? Same with #7? Out of the rotation it seemed as the season went on.
Going to be interesting to see how the midfield develops for 2019 season and who steps up. Maybe they start playing more freely.
Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Let’s hope so laxpere. There are many new possibilities for 2020.
~Livy
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.
SonnySide,
Good to rehash especially with your perspective as a recent player. Since you played for both OCs, why did they leave? Would you please share the real reasons? Reins were too tight, etc?

Also, do you think that both of them would have had the same results at Navy as they have had at Maryland and Georgetown, respectively? Would their offensive strategies have worked at Navy if they didn't leave? Why was there was more success under Phipps than Reppert? Does personnel explain it or were there other factors?

Any suggestions to improve the program beyond changes on the offensive front? How is the recruiting effort and is there anything that can change there?
Go Navy!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:50 pm Let’s hope so laxpere. There are many new possibilities for 2020.
Good catch. You're right...onto 2020! Sorry for the typo.

Who steps up in the midfield this fall and in 2020? Remember #22 only has one year left.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Sowell out. Hopefully Navy can turn the corner under new leadership.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

laxpere wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 pm
SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.
SonnySide,
Good to rehash especially with your perspective as a recent player. Since you played for both OCs, why did they leave? Would you please share the real reasons? Reins were too tight, etc?

Also, do you think that both of them would have had the same results at Navy as they have had at Maryland and Georgetown, respectively? Would their offensive strategies have worked at Navy if they didn't leave? Why was there was more success under Phipps than Reppert? Does personnel explain it or were there other factors?

Any suggestions to improve the program beyond changes on the offensive front? How is the recruiting effort and is there anything that can change there?
Go Navy!
So Coach Sowell's tenure at Navy is history. As Healthy said, the record will speak for itself and the powers that be have spoken.
I am really surprised that it happened and so soon, but clearly change is on the way. It will be interesting to see what the new coach brings to the table, including on the offensive front.
There doesn't seem to be much need for change on the defensive front. Does the DC/recruiter stay?
Go Navy!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wow. A job like this at a truly historic lacrosse program doesn’t come open often. Fascinated to see if Navy goes for somebody with a tie to the program (Wellner? Reppert? Phipps?) or tries to see if an up-and-comer like Torpey has interest.

Interesting times ahead.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”