All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by runrussellrun »

TLD's last video really, REALLY sold me. And scared me. It is a huge problem, but one that we can solve.

So I have been told....and read about. But, most suggestions I already do. (Vox says vote Democrat. Like Democrats DON'T give oil/gas (fracking) love? )

Home thermostat set at 62 degrees (check)
do NOT have central Air Conditioning. (check)
Mow acre of grass with push mower (check)
Take the train (check)
Ride bike to grocery store (check )
Not sure how recycling reduces carbon footprint, but (check )
LED bulbs (check)

Anyone know a fuel efficient car that can tow 8-10k pounds?

What else can I do to help? Spread the word. (Especially by belittling "deniers" as idiot, deplorable, creationists.......I can hate with the best of em )

Let's see.....both homes have well water, septic systems. Both towns shot down a home made methane capture system from the septic. Both towns placed a height limit on wind turbines, reducing effieciency. Solar is a joke in Massachusettes, and the carbon footprint pay back is 15-20 years, NOT 7-8.

The believers, do YOU drive cars that get over 30 mpg? exactly

(sunday river has gotten 5 feet of snow so far, sugarbush 5 and a half feet. )

Yup.....why care WHAT climate your part of the world is changing too. What matters is what matters is. (huh) Bike racks, soda can re-use bins, bamboo flooring (b/c it's "renewable".....the LEED required, and Expensive, building standards are doing so, so much to help the planet. Same poop carrying pipes to the archaic poop industry.

So, besides voting for Democrats , installing solar panels and pur$ha$ing "effecient" appliances....oh, right a NEW car.....what else can I do? Channelling my inner mdlax....I like stories.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:TLD's last video really, REALLY sold me. And scared me. It is a huge problem, but one that we can solve.

So I have been told....and read about. But, most suggestions I already do. (Vox says vote Democrat. Like Democrats DON'T give oil/gas (fracking) love? )

Home thermostat set at 62 degrees (check)
do NOT have central Air Conditioning. (check)
Mow acre of grass with push mower (check)
Take the train (check)
Ride bike to grocery store (check )
Not sure how recycling reduces carbon footprint, but (check )
LED bulbs (check)

Anyone know a fuel efficient car that can tow 8-10k pounds?

What else can I do to help? Spread the word. (Especially by belittling "deniers" as idiot, deplorable, creationists.......I can hate with the best of em )

Let's see.....both homes have well water, septic systems. Both towns shot down a home made methane capture system from the septic. Both towns placed a height limit on wind turbines, reducing effieciency. Solar is a joke in Massachusettes, and the carbon footprint pay back is 15-20 years, NOT 7-8.

The believers, do YOU drive cars that get over 30 mpg? exactly

(sunday river has gotten 5 feet of snow so far, sugarbush 5 and a half feet. )

Yup.....why care WHAT climate your part of the world is changing too. What matters is what matters is. (huh) Bike racks, soda can re-use bins, bamboo flooring (b/c it's "renewable".....the LEED required, and Expensive, building standards are doing so, so much to help the planet. Same poop carrying pipes to the archaic poop industry.

So, besides voting for Democrats , installing solar panels and pur$ha$ing "effecient" appliances....oh, right a NEW car.....what else can I do? Channelling my inner mdlax....I like stories.
I spell better, ramble less, but, like the old joke about the girl and the poop, "there must be a pony in there somewhere".
I think it's quite reasonable to recognize that there's lots of hypocrisy out there.

But that doesn't mean that the issues aren't real nor that many small decisions don't add up.
On the other hand, like any such matter, some decisions and regulations make a heck of a lot more sense than others.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:I spell better, ramble less, but, like the old joke about the girl and the poop, "there must be a pony in there somewhere".
I think it's quite reasonable to recognize that there's lots of hypocrisy out there.

But that doesn't mean that the issues aren't real nor that many small decisions don't add up.
On the other hand, like any such matter, some decisions and regulations make a heck of a lot more sense than others.
Some people think micro, some think macro.
"Ramble" sure is a nice way to put it...
Both my cars get over 39 mpg...hip, hip, hoorra...oh, never mind...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mother Nature has our back and is in control....Mini ice age in a “matter of months”?

26 Nov 2018 – Today’s lack of sunspots, characteristic of a solar minimum, could bring record low temperatures, but some experts suggest it could even produce a “mini ice age,” warns this article on mateoweb.eu.

“Something unusual, but perhaps not so unusual on a large scale, is happening to our sun.

“We are currently living in the 24th solar cycle recorded. What is believed to cause a mini ice age is a prolonged solar minimum, ie an extended period of time when the sun does not have sunspots.

“The last time a prolonged solar minimum was recorded, a mini ice age really occurred and was called Minimo di Maunder. This period lasted from 1645 to about 1715. In these 70 years, sunspots became extremely rare.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Not only are these "things" YOU can do expensive, they are also asinine.

10. Plant native, drought-resistant trees and shrubs around your home and outdoor air conditioning unit.
It's actually against code to put shrubs/tree close to AC units. wtfism
9. Use an electric or push mower instead of a gasoline-powered mower to cut your lawn.
Push is great. wtfism
8. Replace your current home appliances (refrigerator, washing machine, dish washer) with high-efficiency models.
wtfism
7. Buy food and other products with reusable or recyclable packaging instead of those in non-recyclable packaging.
Eat at home or at HIGH end restaurants, no doggie bags required
6. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
wtfism
5. Install a solar heated system to provide your hot water.
wtfism
4. Recycle your home's waste newsprint, cardboard, glass and metal.
wtfism. Stop newsprint/magazine delivery. Read online.
3. Leave your car at home (walk, bike or take mass transit instead).
wtfism....in reverse.
2. Insulate your home, clean your air conditioning filters and install energy efficient showerheads.

wtfism
And the number one thing you can do to reduce Climate Change is...
1. Purchase a fuel-efficient car (rated at 32 mpg or more) to replace your most frequently used automobile.
Isn't this contrary to #3? wtfism applies here as well.

wtfism. This ASSumes that people have disposable income . New car and appliances? It also assumes that people OWN a home with land. The amount of people in the USA renting has gone up. About 37% of the people in the USA are home renters. Lots living in the North East, where solar panel efficiency isn't cost effective. It may feel good, but the carbon footprint doesn't add up. What renter is going to install solar panels? Is it even practical for a 5-20 story building?

Electricity production is based on historic trends. If EVERYONE in the USA purchased "energy star" rated appliances, how long would it take for production levels to drop due to demand reductions?

While checking out Union College this fall, drove past a "LEED apartment complex" Not near ANY mass transportation, just like the 100's of developments in the land of pretends in Maryland, SHipleys grant, Whitehall, broomstick Damascus, etc......the sprawl and lack of "green" infrastructure is a joke.

Yup. lot 28, next to the WaWa and dinky train still has that huge oil tank at Princeton U. In fact, underground STEAM is still the heating method for Dartmouth, Cornell, Harvard........BTU'd up by a fossil fuel. bang1 Oh, whats that.....the best STEM college in the world (MIT) still heats buildings with steam too?

Why should anyone take this issue seriously if the nations leading research centers/colleges have 1920's infrastructure. (I would COST to much, fatty icon_puke )
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:I spell better, ramble less, but, like the old joke about the girl and the poop, "there must be a pony in there somewhere".

Some people think micro, some think macro.
"Ramble" sure is a nice way to put it...
Both my cars get over 39 mpg...hip, hip, hoorra...oh, never mind...

Good for you. Guess NOT declaring ref income is paying off and you can afford a new car..........but read this please.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ofriendly/

Now for a personnel question. What is your homes kWh's usage, per month? Do YOU have solar panels? Most home owner ASSociations in Maryland do NOT allow them. I am sure mdlax and jhu72 are aghast at that.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Climate designation is based on 25-30 years of weather. But, periods of cold don't affect the climate?

I noticed weather underground stop linking the early years for area HIGHS and lows (for temp )

https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/u ... te/1981-11

7 days at or below freezing for 1981

compared too

https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/u ... te/2018-11

14 days at or below freezing at this weather station for 2018. Something about averages?
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:

Climate designation is based on 25-30 years of weather. But, periods of cold don't affect the climate?

I noticed weather underground stop linking the early years for area HIGHS and lows (for temp )

https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/u ... te/1981-11

compared too

https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/u ... te/2018-11

14 days at or below freezing at this weather station for 2018. Something about averages?
Something about averages..... we will see how those 14 days impacts a five year rolling average.....Fennis Dembo scored 50 points in a basketball game....what was his career average? But you are probably right....can you get me a rate at the Holiday Inn Express?
“I wish you would!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

runrussellrun wrote:Not only are these "things" YOU can do expensive, they are also asinine.

10. Plant native, drought-resistant trees and shrubs around your home and outdoor air conditioning unit.
It's actually against code to put shrubs/tree close to AC units. wtfism
9. Use an electric or push mower instead of a gasoline-powered mower to cut your lawn.
Push is great. wtfism
8. Replace your current home appliances (refrigerator, washing machine, dish washer) with high-efficiency models.
wtfism
7. Buy food and other products with reusable or recyclable packaging instead of those in non-recyclable packaging.
Eat at home or at HIGH end restaurants, no doggie bags required
6. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs.
wtfism
5. Install a solar heated system to provide your hot water.
wtfism
4. Recycle your home's waste newsprint, cardboard, glass and metal.
wtfism. Stop newsprint/magazine delivery. Read online.
3. Leave your car at home (walk, bike or take mass transit instead).
wtfism....in reverse.
2. Insulate your home, clean your air conditioning filters and install energy efficient showerheads.

wtfism
And the number one thing you can do to reduce Climate Change is...
1. Purchase a fuel-efficient car (rated at 32 mpg or more) to replace your most frequently used automobile.
Isn't this contrary to #3? wtfism applies here as well.

wtfism. This ASSumes that people have disposable income . New car and appliances? It also assumes that people OWN a home with land. The amount of people in the USA renting has gone up. About 37% of the people in the USA are home renters. Lots living in the North East, where solar panel efficiency isn't cost effective. It may feel good, but the carbon footprint doesn't add up. What renter is going to install solar panels? Is it even practical for a 5-20 story building?

Electricity production is based on historic trends. If EVERYONE in the USA purchased "energy star" rated appliances, how long would it take for production levels to drop due to demand reductions?

While checking out Union College this fall, drove past a "LEED apartment complex" Not near ANY mass transportation, just like the 100's of developments in the land of pretends in Maryland, SHipleys grant, Whitehall, broomstick Damascus, etc......the sprawl and lack of "green" infrastructure is a joke.

Yup. lot 28, next to the WaWa and dinky train still has that huge oil tank at Princeton U. In fact, underground STEAM is still the heating method for Dartmouth, Cornell, Harvard........BTU'd up by a fossil fuel. bang1 Oh, whats that.....the best STEM college in the world (MIT) still heats buildings with steam too?

Why should anyone take this issue seriously if the nations leading research centers/colleges have 1920's infrastructure. (I would COST to much, fatty icon_puke )
It's tough thinking about what the future will bring....the idea of doing nothing, simply makes no sense to me.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

yup, I'm stupid. (look at ME everyone, I am a $cientist. I data stat formula )

5 days in November (2018) where the DAILY avg. was at or below freezing. ( 2018 monthly avg. is 42 )

2 days in 2017 ((monthly avg. of 45 )
0 days in 2016 (monthly avg. of 47 )
1 day in 2015 (monthly avg. of 49 )
0 days In 2010 (monthly avg. of 45)
0 days in 2006(monthly avg. of 49 )
1 day in 2002 (monthly avg. of 44 )

2002 is the last year for this station to have historic data.....about 1/2 way for climate modeling.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/mo ... te/2018-11

NOAA bouys show no historic increase at almost ALL of them. (prove me wrong)

The monthly avg. for weather stations in San Fransico from 2002 is the exact same for 2018 (57 degrees )

https://www.wunderground.com/history/mo ... te/2002-11

No wonder why arrogant folks don't want to engage in grown up discussions about what the climate is changing too.....b/c it aint.

Well, sea levels rising.....that is why ocean front condo's in Miami are selling for millions confused2
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

No wonder why arrogant folks don't want to engage in grown up discussions about what the climate is changing too.....b/c it aint.
That comment seems pretty arrogant...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote:

Why should anyone take this issue seriously if the nations leading research centers/colleges have 1920's infrastructure. (I would COST to much, fatty icon_puke )[/i]
It's tough thinking about what the future will bring....the idea of doing nothing, simply makes no sense to me.[/quote]

Agree. That is why I use the stupid soldier bleeding out example. Medic, instead of stopping the bleeding (known pollution ), the medic begins paperwork to doc that PFC's wages b/c he MAY contract adult onset diabetes, based on could's, IF's and possiblies.

https://green.harvard.edu/topics/climat ... ble-energy

1.6 MW of installed "green" energy? Smart guys, is that a lot of energy? The Hull windturbine produces 25 MW. What am I mi$$ing? :roll:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

foreverlax wrote:
That comment seems pretty arrogant...
Do you really NOT understand the lack of dialogue by others? shut up fatty, we don't have to answer your childish, holiday inn staying questions.

didn't draw first arrogance......but am stupid enough to play the game.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

We would love all science to be precise and accurate, but it doesn't always work out that way. Assumptions are made to test theories.

For me, this is a simple issue -

1. Man has changed nature over the past few centuries, via "pollution". That is a fact.

2. Pollution is bad - also a fact

3. Some portion of that impact is measurable and comparisons came be drawn - fact

When I look at all the arguments, for and against, it's clear to me that humans are having a negative impact on the environment.

Free markets will not solve this issue, but incremental steps taken by individuals, along with some common sense measures by global .gov is the only way forward, imo.

For those who are convinced this is all a hoax, there is nothing to discuss. My Aunt was convinced that OJ was innocent....no point in trying to suggest otherwise.
Typical Lax Dad

foreverlax wrote:We would love all science to be precise and accurate, but it doesn't always work out that way. Assumptions are made to test theories.

For me, this is a simple issue -

1. Man has changed nature over the past few centuries, via "pollution". That is a fact.

2. Pollution is bad - also a fact

3. Some portion of that impact is measurable and comparisons came be drawn - fact

When I look at all the arguments, for and against, it's clear to me that humans are having a negative impact on the environment.

Free markets will not solve this issue, but incremental steps taken by individuals, along with some common sense measures by global .gov is the only way forward, imo.

For those who are convinced this is all a hoax, there is nothing to discuss. My Aunt was convinced that OJ was innocent....no point in trying to suggest otherwise.
Yep. OJ and Casey Anthony didn't do anything at all....and because they were found "not guilty" it was all a witch hunt and a waste of time...otherwise they would have been found "guilty".
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:yup, I'm stupid. (look at ME everyone, I am a $cientist. I data stat formula )

5 days in November (2018) where the DAILY avg. was at or below freezing. ( 2018 monthly avg. is 42 )

2 days in 2017 ((monthly avg. of 45 )
0 days in 2016 (monthly avg. of 47 )
1 day in 2015 (monthly avg. of 49 )
0 days In 2010 (monthly avg. of 45)
0 days in 2006(monthly avg. of 49 )
1 day in 2002 (monthly avg. of 44 )

2002 is the last year for this station to have historic data.....about 1/2 way for climate modeling.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/mo ... te/2018-11

NOAA bouys show no historic increase at almost ALL of them. (prove me wrong)

The monthly avg. for weather stations in San Fransico from 2002 is the exact same for 2018 (57 degrees )

https://www.wunderground.com/history/mo ... te/2002-11

Well, sea levels rising.....that is why ocean front condo's in Miami are selling for millions confused2
I fell sorry for LeBron James and Madonna when their homes are flooded...Not sure how they are going to get by after that. Maybe they can pan handle.

Nick Saban is risking it all with this home.....the government needs to step in and do something to save him! He is risking it all...
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote:Well, sea levels rising.....that is why ocean front condo's in Miami are selling for millions confused2
You keep saying this, like the logic is unassailable. It's like saying because people get into their cars, accidents or death is impossible. Or that because people live next to the Mississippi, that means that river will never flood. You're not making any sense.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote:Mother Nature has our back and is in control....Mini ice age in a “matter of months”?

26 Nov 2018 – Today’s lack of sunspots, characteristic of a solar minimum, could bring record low temperatures, but some experts suggest it could even produce a “mini ice age,” warns this article on mateoweb.eu.

“Something unusual, but perhaps not so unusual on a large scale, is happening to our sun.

“We are currently living in the 24th solar cycle recorded. What is believed to cause a mini ice age is a prolonged solar minimum, ie an extended period of time when the sun does not have sunspots.

“The last time a prolonged solar minimum was recorded, a mini ice age really occurred and was called Minimo di Maunder. This period lasted from 1645 to about 1715. In these 70 years, sunspots became extremely rare.

As I have pointed out innumerable times to the deniers over many years -- why if the Sun's output is decreasing is it not getting colder, globabally?? To even the least educated laymen, seems to me this has got to be extemely strong proof that something very basic has changed in the way earth's temperature is being regulated. The answer is "anomalous global heat retention" - otherwise know as global warming (an unfortunate misnomer). I don't expect a mini-ice age in our near future. The good news seems to be, that the Sun's behavior may mitigate some of the effects of "anamalous global heat retention", like not getting as warm globally as it otherwise would. This however does nothing to mitigate the damage to the oceans caused by induced acidification of the oceans. The poorly named "global warming" will continue to be a big problem.

As I have also pointed out numerous times the seeming contradiction among scientists in the late 50s through early 70s claiming we are due for mini-ice age, and other scientist claiming global warming is a problem and real is easily understood and not really a contradiction! Both can be true, and it seems more likely are occurring at the same time. The laymen has been caught up in poorly chosen names for complex scientific concepts and phenomenon. The unethical denier community has used this as part of their "blocking action" to slowdown widespread acceptance of the truth.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:Well, sea levels rising.....that is why ocean front condo's in Miami are selling for millions confused2
You keep saying this, like the logic is unassailable. It's like saying because people get into their cars, accidents or death is impossible. Or that because people live next to the Mississippi, that means that river will never flood. You're not making any sense.

ZONING laws. Building requirements.

Your example of a car is poor, to say the least....if you continued to risk death after a recall on a car you are upping your chances, yes. But your example is so flawed....where to begin. What is the REWARD for building on property that will be underwater?

I have an acquaintance that works for the city of Miami in permitting. (historic mostly ) and he was a strong believer in the new religion. Not really understanding how you are confused by the illogical government that tells you to reduce your footprint of carbon and takes seriously the issue of sea level rizing. (nick saban's house is on a LAKE, mr
staying at a hotel 8)....but yet, they allow you to build on CURRENT floodzones, forget about years from now.
Why not build on a dump landfill or superfund site?

Regarding building along the Mississippi. Again, just the lack of reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yROpRU35aYY

Ever been to Natchez, MI? Most of the town built on the bluff. Across the river, Valdelia, LA is built on lower elevations. uttOh. Lots of levees on the Mississippi. You know what is lacking on the banks of a fresh water river? Million dollar homes. Go to a real estate website like zillow. mouse up the Mississippi river. You will find that there are barely any homes built on the flood plain. Been to Vicksburg? Cool town. Another bluff.

But, you are telling me to TRUST the believers.....trust that the seas will rize (this is the catastrophic outcome, yes? )
And then, you turn abound and MOCK ME b/c I am not understanding why real estate that will be under water is so valuable. or even allowed to be built.

Clearly, you could never support a political candidate like Bloomberg, who bans sugary sodas for the good of the people. Another believer in the new religion, Mayor B. allowed re-development. Lots of low lying HIGH rizers with tRumps name on the mid-upper west side. Henry Hudson raised in this location. Basement at the Riverside tRump built complex have water pumps ?
Last edited by runrussellrun on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”