2021 National Championship UVA vs UMD

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2021 National Championship UVA vs UMD

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

lorin wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:55 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:05 am
keno in reno wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 pm
CU77 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:59 pm Great news, IMO. Unlike so many others, I have absolutely no desire to see lacrosse grow. I love that it is a niche sport in which non-power-5 schools can compete at the highest level.

Why why why do so many of you here want to see lax grow?? Into what, exactly? Do you not understand that massive growth would mean that the teams you root for would be much less likely to be successful? Do you really want to compete against Alabama, USC, etc etc etc??
That's an interesting and honest assessment. I've wondered what parents from traditional powerhouse areas like DC-Boston private schools think about their kids now having to compete against dudes from Florida, Georgia, Texas, Arizona, Cali, Colorado etc. for those elite lacrosse college spots now, when 20 years ago there was almost no competition from those areas.
Guessing there's a tongue in that cheek?

I've never heard any lax parents in my hometown (Baltimore) complaining about that one. However, lax parents all over whine about so many other things while spending their money like it's water to get their kids a 'look', certainly possible.

Plenty of parents complain that their kid who has better grades, SAT's etc than they did can't get into their alma mater...that complaint has been going on for a long time as admission standards keep getting tougher as the world gets 'flatter' and 'fairer'.

It's interesting to me that people seem to think they're entitled to certain privileges. Shocked when it's not a guarantee. (cuts both ways, legacies and money not guaranteed, perfect SAT's not guaranteed).

However, I think CU77 was just talking about rooting interests...If you're rooting for say Cornell or Hopkins, it's not an insignificant question as to what would happen (if Title IX went away) and men's lax became an actual pro career track, money sport at big universities. I can understand the preference to stay smaller, more concentrated, less 'commercial'.

I do wonder about the sense of fraternity/community our sport has had as a popular, but non-money sport. How does commercialization of the game impact that sense of community? I dunno, but it sure bothered me a few years ago when the lax equipment commercials were all lax-bro, sexist stuff.

EDIT: I guess I have heard some complaints from Fairfield County parents about their lax 'star' kids not getting a look at Ivies, with those schools under pressure, they say, to find athletes from areas of the country, demographics, not already heavily represented in the Ivy student body....
Top 20 in points per game 2021
NY 8 ( 7 from LI )
Canada 3
MD 2
NJ 2
PA 1
CT 1
Hot bed areas total 17
FL 1
CO 1
AZ 1
NON area total 3
:D Best player in country: Florida.
Also #1 in points per game.
Best player in Final: Virginia.

Let's agree that the most top players continue to come from the densest lacrosse hotbeds, biggest populations playing the game. However...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Top defender who did more to slow down the year's tewarraton winner than any other defender this year? - Texas.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 pm Top defender who did more to slow down the year's tewarraton winner than any other defender this year? - Texas.
Best women's college player? - Texas.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 pm Top defender who did more to slow down the year's tewarraton winner than any other defender this year? - Texas.
Jack Lyne is from Mass, actually. :P
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Connor Shellenberger, Virginia (Most Outstanding Player)
Virginia

Cade Saustad, Virginia
Texas

Alex Rode, Virginia
Maryland

Petey LaSalla, Virginia
New York

Jared Connors, Virginia
Pennsylvania

Matt Moore, Virginia
Pennsylvania

Nick Grill, Maryland
New Jersey

Logan Wisnauskas, Maryland
Maryland

Jared Bernhardt, Maryland
Florida

William Perry, North Carolina
Connecticut

And then you have Bubba Fairman from Utah, DeMaio from California, Malever from Georgia, Maltz, Puglise, Brown from Virginia, all scoring for UMD...

Players are coming from all over. But sure, the bulk still come from the hotbeds.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

They actually all come from their momma's.....the real champions. Most of the mom's out there are the ones pushing cracking the competitive whip ....I know my wife would often them on the way out the door to kick some ass out there today. :lol: Who are we fooling, we take the credit, but we know where they get it from. 8-)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:04 pm They actually all come from their momma's.....the real champions. Most of the mom's out there are the ones pushing cracking the competitive whip ....I know my wife would often them on the way out the door to kick some ass out there today. :lol: Who are we fooling, we take the credit, but we know where they get it from. 8-)
^^^^^^ yup ;)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Superlite2green

Post by Superlite2green »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:29 pm Connor Shellenberger, Virginia (Most Outstanding Player)
Virginia

Cade Saustad, Virginia
Texas

Alex Rode, Virginia
Maryland

Petey LaSalla, Virginia
New York

Jared Connors, Virginia
Pennsylvania

Matt Moore, Virginia
Pennsylvania

Nick Grill, Maryland
New Jersey

Maryland

Florida

Connecticut

And then you have Bubba Fairman from Utah, DeMaio from California, Malever from Georgia, Maltz, Puglise, Brown from Virginia, all scoring for UMD...

Players are coming from all over. But sure, the bulk still come from the hotbeds.
Jared Connors is from New York.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Superlite2green wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:52 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:29 pm Connor Shellenberger, Virginia (Most Outstanding Player)
Virginia

Cade Saustad, Virginia
Texas

Alex Rode, Virginia
Maryland

Petey LaSalla, Virginia
New York

Jared Connors, Virginia
Pennsylvania

Matt Moore, Virginia
Pennsylvania

Nick Grill, Maryland
New Jersey

Maryland

Florida

Connecticut

Jared Connors is from New York.
Good catch! Pittsford.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”