COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: COACHING CAROUSEL 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

jerseyjames wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 pm https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... 34754?s=20

First question is “Why now?”

"I almost still don’t know the answer,” Desko says.

Sheesh, Desko deserved way better then this, we all know this but man this is tough...
Goes on that he hasn't ruled out coaching again, doesn't sound like a retired man but where would he go from Cuse, Prep School, PLL?
Yes, I agree. So did Coach Pietramala.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jerseyjames wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 pm

"I almost still don’t know the answer,” Desko says.
Seriously? You might argue the process was screwed up but he can't be that surprised at this outcome. Hopkins has a more recent FF appearance than SU. Add in Scanlon and I can't say why you would be shocked. Now, that might be playing up for the next job but anyone paying attention knew this might be coming.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

During the season, there was some message board talk about moving on from Desko but most fans seemed to expect at least one more year with him. Desko himself seemed pretty sure he was coming back when asked just 3 weeks ago and said that none of his bosses had ever mentioned anything different to him. So it seems like the fans and observers were more in tuned to the possibility of change than he was. But yeah, he should've seen that possibility especially with similar changes at UVA and JHU.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

It would be surprising if there hadn't been any conversation with the bosses over time.

This 'not hearing' what we don't want to hear seems to be a pattern with some of these coaches.

Totally understand why a coach may think the decision is flat wrong or way premature, may think they've argued their case effectively, may think it's obvious they should get more time due to their 'tenure' as a successful coach, but to be oblivious to the consideration?

I guess that can happen to anyone.
But I doubt there was never any discussion.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Sheesh, Desko deserved way better then this, we all know this but man this is tough...
What does Desko deserve? He's getting treated like everyone always gets treated.

There's a large number of guys Desko can call up to get an explanation if he really doesn't understand.

Urick, Starsia, Cottle, Richie Meade, Petro, Wojcik, Theil, Haus, etc.

If you stay long enough, eventually you will get fired.

The only way to avoid getting pushed out is to jump early. Or keep making Final Fours.

If DU has a couple of meh years, Tierney should fully expect to be pushed out to make room for Matt Brown.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

in their last 18 games spanning 20 n 21, desko record was 12-6 including a thrashing of Hopkins that problably helped seal petro's fate n two wins over the defending and repeating champs of uva. the gut beats duke regularly without all their blue chippers

get the first rd exits , the blowout losses etc but thought no fall ball, fogo rule changes,, scanlan garbage . injuries n player support would have been enuff to get him n coaches another year.

does seem discussions were had and the decision to hire gait was done before he was told he was being fired which would be wrong

a hof coach shouldn't have had to find out on fan lax that he was being replaced forget not resigned, also not the best look for gait to be leaving the women team that had hopes to win a championship next year under him

just my thoughts, good luck to desko, he had a great career to be proud of.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 pm
What does Desko deserve? He's getting treated like everyone always gets treated.

There's a large number of guys Desko can call up to get an explanation if he really doesn't understand.

The only way to avoid getting pushed out is to jump early. Or keep making Final Fours.

If DU has a couple of meh years, Tierney should fully expect to be pushed out to make room for Matt Brown.
John Desko, like Dave Pietramala, isn’t “everyone.”

He began his Syracuse career in the fall of 1975 when Gerald Ford was president, 8-track tape players were state-of-the-art, and a velvet suit was considered cool (I know … I had one).

After nearly a half-century with Syracuse lacrosse, I think they could have handled the transition a little better.

@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 pm
get the first rd exits , the blowout losses etc but thought no fall ball, fogo rule changes,, scanlan garbage . injuries n player support would have been enuff to get him n coaches another year.
The Scanlan garbage should have been enough to get him another year? That very well may have been part of the reason why he was let go.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Wojik and Haus don’t belong on that list
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

This year was like no other, no fall ball, covid restrictions, 5th years everywhere, limited scheduling opportunities. This may have been due but coaches were handicapped by these factors. If he was on a short leash after ‘19 and ‘20 never happened he’s taking a bullet for ‘21 IMO.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:12 pm Caitlin Defliese has been named the interim head coach of @CuseWLAX

https://cuse.com/sports/womens-lacrosse ... liese/4993
Nice to see a kid from my little burgh get the job.Her sister was on the SU team but I believe she's graduated.Great family!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:12 pm It would be surprising if there hadn't been any conversation with the bosses over time.

This 'not hearing' what we don't want to hear seems to be a pattern with some of these coaches.

Totally understand why a coach may think the decision is flat wrong or way premature, may think they've argued their case effectively, may think it's obvious they should get more time due to their 'tenure' as a successful coach, but to be oblivious to the consideration?

I guess that can happen to anyone.
But I doubt there was never any discussion.
MD,

Well said, this is likely the case with Desko's situation.

Joe
ggait

Post by ggait »

After nearly a half-century with Syracuse lacrosse, I think they could have handled the transition a little better.
Presumably Desko had a contract. So he should know exactly what the extent of his "tenure" is or isn't.

Tierney is the greatest coach ever. What he's done at Princeton and DU is amazing. But he's got a contract at DU that runs for three more years.

Tierney knows (as Desko should have known) exactly what the implications of a such a contract are.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Tierney for sure knows. In 2013, Denver fired their hockey coach just 8 years after he won them back-to-back national championships, their first in 35 years. Not good enough at DU!!!

Tierney cried at a press conference about it. Literal actual tears.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm
Presumably Desko had a contract. So he should know exactly what the extent of his "tenure" is or isn't.

Tierney is the greatest coach ever. What he's done at Princeton and DU is amazing. But he's got a contract at DU that runs for three more years.

Tierney knows (as Desko should have known) exactly what the implications of a such a contract are.
According to the IL podcast, he had a year left.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 pm

I am only speculating … and I emphasize that—only speculating … but I wonder whether Desko would have been asked to “retire” NOW with a year left on his contract if the Scanlan scandal hadn’t arisen.

@DocBarrister
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Pretty clearly not, IMO. Scanlan widely seen as the final straw, e.g.,
https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... reset.html
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:35 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 pm

I am only speculating … and I emphasize that—only speculating … but I wonder whether Desko would have been asked to “retire” NOW with a year left on his contract if the Scanlan scandal hadn’t arisen.

The thing is coaches can't be at 1 year left in their contract. That is complete no man's land for coaches barring some really strange situation where a heir apparent is on the staff. One year left greatly reduces recruiting ability because it allows other teams to talk about how you, as a player, are being recruited by a guy that might not be there. So if it is true Desko only had 1 year left on his contract and SU wasn't willing to extend him that should be the clue to him not everything is right.

I'd also wager that SU looked at it the way Hopkins looked at it two years ago with Petro. They probably asked themselves do we want to tie our self to a guy for 4-5 more years when the last decade has been so mediocre. The answer was clearly they didn't.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:27 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 pm
The Scanlan garbage should have been enough to get him another year? That very well may have been part of the reason why he was let go.
^^^^^^ I thought this was obvious, I guess not to everyone .... :roll:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Makes buying out a contract (often from Alums) much less impactful to the wallet when there are only 1-2 years remaining.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”