Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
QuakerSouth

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by QuakerSouth »

When the NCAA made the decision to grant the extra year, it was heralded. About a month has passed. What are people thinking now?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:08 pm Not every player in the portal will land. These next two years will see a fairly high number. By that I mean between 10-20 impact players. Much more than we have seen with recent transfer history. My guess is that the last couple guys in a class will be displaced at some schools.
Wonder how many will end up at D3 programs that have graduate programs. Discount rates for tuition still apply for graduate programs!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Seahawk wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:10 pm The 2021 season may be difficult from a money standpoint but the 2022 season will be twice as hard as schools try to fit 5 classes into 12.6 scholarships. For some like UMD which has a great Jr class will now will have critical decisions to make on how many of those guys will return for their 5th year if they choose to do so. And it trickles down to all the other classes including HS players trying to decide where options exist. It’s going to be a never ending topic.
Maryland jr class will be interesting. Both Wisnauskas and A. DeMaio have already done a red-shirt year. Do they stay for another? Maybe DeMaio to get another year with his brother.
smoova

Post by smoova »

QuakerSouth wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 pm When the NCAA made the decision to grant the extra year, it was heralded. About a month has passed. What are people thinking now?
The same thing many were thinking before the final decision was made: myopic, ill-conceived and fraught with unintentional consequences that punish younger players.
calourie

Post by calourie »

smoova wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:47 pm
QuakerSouth wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 pm When the NCAA made the decision to grant the extra year, it was heralded. About a month has passed. What are people thinking now?
The same thing many were thinking before the final decision was made: myopic, ill-conceived and fraught with unintentional consequences that punish younger players.
Not so much for the Ivy and Patriot schools that rejected that decision. It will be interesting to see what happens if fall athletics get squeezed as well. Will the NCAA then retract its' spring decision or expand it to include the fall as well? Time will tell.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Said it was shortsighted and wrong decision from the start. Plain for all to see.

The NCAA should never have blurted and given false hope to any. They should have reversed themselves as the situation worsened and the ramifications came to light.

Seniors would have gotten on with their lives.

Instead the NCAA created a myriad of issues and inequities.

Princeton, Yale , Harvard and some others had the proper perspective that the NCAA should have had.
smoova

Post by smoova »

calourie wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 pm
Not so much for the Ivy and Patriot schools that rejected that decision. It will be interesting to see what happens if fall athletics get squeezed as well. Will the NCAA then retract its' spring decision or expand it to include the fall as well? Time will tell.
As I said, myopic, ill-conceived and fraught with unintentional consequences ...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

smoova wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:09 pm
calourie wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 pm
As I said, myopic, ill-conceived and fraught with unintentional consequences ...
I wished every league went against the NCAA and told them to pound sand....we don't need you screwing up anymore than you already do.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:18 pm I wished every league went against the NCAA and told them to pound sand....we don't need you screwing up anymore than you already do.
The NCAA is a member organization, comprised of college presidents. Conferences telling the NCAA to bugger off would mean conference members (i.e., the universities) would have to tell the college presidents to bugger off. Ergo, athletic directors would have to tell their bosses to bugger off.

The exact reason the NCAA did what it did is because the college presidents (at least the 25 member NCAA board of governors) wanted to let each university do what it wanted. Because...the college presidents want to do what they want to do. The NCAA is just a fig leaf over the whole thing.

Syracuse, OSU, and PSU wanted to bring seniors back for the bonus years. Wisconsin, the Ivies, the PL (notably) didn't. The NCAA gave cover for that.
Last edited by Wheels on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The NCAA, as pointed out, is a SRO. It exists to keep congress and others out of the business of college athletics. That is all it is. When schools get banged out like Louisville, PSU, Arizona, etc, it’s mostly Kabuki Theatre.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

List of Portal by position? Please amazon a bag of chips .
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:37 pm List of Portal by position? Please amazon a bag of chips .
Updated list first tabulated by HopFan16

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack), Teioshontathe McComber (attack)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Brown - Ryan Finlay (defense)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack), Connor Shears (defense), Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack), Matt Fedorjaka (midfield)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield), Nicky Petkevich (attack), Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Furman - Luke Majick (midfield), Alec van de Bovenkamp (goalie)
Hartford - Cullin Walsh (goalie)
Harvard - Myles Hamm (attack), Beau Botkiss (defense), Austin Madronic (attack)
Hobart - Sam Lucchesi (goalie), PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Kevin Kodzis (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield)
Hopkins - Jack Rapine (defense), Matt Hubler (midfield), Alex Gainey (goalie), Cole Williams (attack), Alex Concannon (midfield)
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense)
Maryland - Drew Morris (goalie), Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO), Charlie Bertrand (attack)
Notre Dame - Charles Leonard (FOGO), Michael Farnish (Defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie)
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO), Kyle Thornton (defense)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack), Connor McCarthy (midfield), Phil Robertson (attack)
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)
Robert Morris - Austin Popovich (midfield)
Rutger - Demetrius Stevenson (Midfield) —> Delaware; Zach Groff (goalie)
St. Bonaventure - John Kilcommons(attack)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM), Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack), Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield), Justin Kim (midfield )
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield)
Virginia - Xander Dickson (attack)
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack)
Wagner - Jake Garb (attack)
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack), Lucas Cotler (midfield)
CC10

Post by CC10 »

Curious to see what will be the # of seniors taking a 5th year next year. Early on, it seems like it might be alot but now I am not to sure, less than 50? (now that Ivy's and most PL are not allowing). And over the next few years, I would think a bit more as they have time to redo their academic schedule to make it work, (mba..etc) But with everything going on, I don't think the impact will be as great as most anticipated. I think the best players may look for an extra year as they will get most of the $ but others will find jobs. Thoughts?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack), Teioshontathe McComber (attack)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack), Connor Shears (defense), Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack), Matt Fedorjaka (midfield)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield), Nicky Petkevich (attack), Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Kevin Kodzis (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield)
Hopkins - Jack Rapine (defense), Matt Hubler (midfield), Alex Gainey (goalie), Cole Williams (attack), Alex Concannon (midfield)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack), Connor McCarthy (midfield), Phil Robertson (attack)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM), Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack), Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield), Justin Kim (midfield )
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield), Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany,
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack), Lucas Cotler (midfield)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The good programs will hold on to and manage their own kids. You’ll see some top programs return 5-8 kids.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:39 pm The good programs will hold on to and manage their own kids. You’ll see some top programs return 5-8 kids.
The only top teams so far bring back 5 or so are PSU, OSU and Cuse. No Ivies, UVA athletes are not giving any scholarship money. Other schools have not announced.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Hearing a few MD teams may bring back the higher end of my estimate.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

I don’t see how any of these players will get scholarship money. It’s already been allocated to the incoming class. With the way the unemployment rate is going many will certainly have a hard time funding an extra year for lacrosse. I certainly hope things improve and colleges can resume as normal in the fall. But the NCAA really should have waited on making this decision, especially given the continued uncertainty. They opened a can of worms if you ask me. How do you not do it for others as this continues? Where does it end?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie) —>Jacksonville
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield), Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany,

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”