#46 Luke Staudt -GK
#59 Davis Lindsey - Attack
#85 Seth Higgins - Midfield
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:45 am and we have an official schedule!!!

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/news/2021/ ... eason.aspx

Website also released the schedules for the other sports like volleyball, rowing, golf, cross country, soccer. My ESPN+ package will be very very stocked, cant wait!
This is a nice schedule, all things considered. There's a good chance Utah and Richmond will be tougher opponents than Hopkins and Rutgers would have been. Also, I'm really surprised they were able to work Army in, given they're in the other "division" this season.

BTW, Coach Toomey got a nice shout-out during the Duke/Denver game about the quality of work ethic in Boland and Deveraux, who are grad students at Denver now.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

GreyingHound wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Website also released the schedules for the other sports like volleyball, rowing, golf, cross country, soccer. My ESPN+ package will be very very stocked, cant wait!
This is a nice schedule, all things considered. There's a good chance Utah and Richmond will be tougher opponents than Hopkins and Rutgers would have been. Also, I'm really surprised they were able to work Army in, given they're in the other "division" this season.

BTW, Coach Toomey got a nice shout-out during the Duke/Denver game about the quality of work ethic in Boland and Deveraux, who are grad students at Denver now.
“There’s a good chance Utah and Richmond will be tougher opponents than Hopkins and Rutgers would have been”

I can see that happening with Richmond; not sure I can say nearly the same about Utah
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:39 pm

“There’s a good chance Utah and Richmond will be tougher opponents than Hopkins and Rutgers would have been”

I can see that happening with Richmond; not sure I can say nearly the same about Utah
I hear ya, and I felt the same way until I saw how Denver barely beat Utah by a goal, and then gave Duke all they could handle in Durham today. I don't think Utah can be taken lightly, but we will see...
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

The Richmond game will be very difficult based on the timing...

I have a funny feeling Rutgers will be very strong this year...they return a lot of experience and added some key guys...that would have been a very tough game up in NJ...not sure about Hop...

I think by the time we get to Utah, we will be looking like the team we expect to be for the better part of the year...

The first two games will really test our team
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:53 pm

The Richmond game will be very difficult based on the timing...

I have a funny feeling Rutgers will be very strong this year...they return a lot of experience and added some key guys...that would have been a very tough game up in NJ...not sure about Hop...

I think by the time we get to Utah, we will be looking like the team we expect to be for the better part of the year...

The first two games will really test our team
I agree the first three games will be a challenge to the greyhounds. Richmond will be a huge test for this team. Uva is very good and Utah is no slouch. Then opening up with Lehigh is a tough way to start patriot league play. IMO 2-2. Hopefully 3-1.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

1 PM start for Richmond Game and it will be on ESPN+
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:09 pm 1 PM start for Richmond Game and it will be on ESPN+
At this time no visiting fans are permitted to attend the game this Saturday. After seeing Towson fans in the stands at UVA I was hopeful I would get to see the Hounds play in person at least once this year. But Richmond decides to.... Bummer

Just hope the Hounds have 28 healthy men ready to get on the bus Saturday. It's gonna be crazy this year.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:05 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:09 pm 1 PM start for Richmond Game and it will be on ESPN+
At this time no visiting fans are permitted to attend the game this Saturday. After seeing Towson fans in the stands at UVA I was hopeful I would get to see the Hounds play in person at least once this year. But Richmond decides to.... Bummer

Just hope the Hounds have 28 healthy men ready to get on the bus Saturday. It's gonna be crazy this year.
UVA offered up some tickets to parents of Towson players...the right thing to do...I heard that directly from a Towson parent. Good on UVA...not only to let parents attend an outside sporting event (although pretty sure that's a state/gov decision), but to also offer some tix to visiting parents...

It will be very crazy this year...every week. I would expect us to be missing a key guy or two (or more) every week...and that's with the kids doing all the right things...just the way it is...and all teams will get impacted

Just hope we have enough guys every week to dress 28 (like you said)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

What do we know about Richmond?

Seems like every year they play some Power teams REALLY really well. I know they beat the hounds in a scrimmage last preseason, but who are their knows? what are their strengths and what can our team due to possibly limit their strengths?

Their coach knows Loyola's staff very well, this scouting and the gameplan could be like when you face a mirror version of yourself, you know what eachother will do
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:23 pm What do we know about Richmond?

Seems like every year they play some Power teams REALLY really well. I know they beat the hounds in a scrimmage last preseason, but who are their knows? what are their strengths and what can our team due to possibly limit their strengths?

Their coach knows Loyola's staff very well, this scouting and the gameplan could be like when you face a mirror version of yourself, you know what eachother will do
Based on from what I know/have seen, this could be as tough of a game we’ll play all year. Severely underrated team that brought back every key contributor just like loyola did. Beat us pretty good last year in a scrimmage and should have beat duke and Maryland last year. I think it’ll be an awesome way to open up the year-it’ll have us more than ready for UVA in 2 weeks. Hearing the Hounds have continued to deal w Covid issues throughout this week-adaptation will be the theme this year.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:08 am

Based on from what I know/have seen, this could be as tough of a game we’ll play all year. Severely underrated team that brought back every key contributor just like loyola did. Beat us pretty good last year in a scrimmage and should have beat duke and Maryland last year. I think it’ll be an awesome way to open up the year-it’ll have us more than ready for UVA in 2 weeks. Hearing the Hounds have continued to deal w Covid issues throughout this week-adaptation will be the theme this year.
Heard only 28 players practicing and no visiting fans at Richmond... At least we are not as bad as Hopkins with Covid... It is too bad we do not play them this year.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Laxfan01 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:08 am

The Good News is that we have a game on Saturday. Fingers crossed. This will be a tough test for the Hounds due to several reasons. To begin with, a long bus ride, and the weather may not be great Who knows what the locker room protocol will be as they get prepared? I’m not even sure Toomey and his Staff know how the Hounds will play based upon limited practices, players missing due to COVID quarantines, etc…. But we are playing :D

Richmond is a very good team. They have returned most of their team including 90% of their offense and starters from a year ago, and they have good playmakers in Lanchbury, Connell, and Savoca. Their defense is very stingy and settled at Goal. They have a stud LSM, Sean Menges, who will be the counterpoint to our own Ryan McNulty.

From an earlier SOCON Press Release, "Attack Ryan Lanchbury led the team in scoring with 30 points in the seven games, scoring 14 goals and dishing out a team-high 16 assists. Fellow attack Richie Connell added a team-high 19 goals, ranking second in the nation among true freshmen in scoring while leading the country with seven man-up goals.

The Spiders also return their entire starting midfield in Mitch Savoca, Tate Gallagher and Tyler Shoults. The three have combined to score 124 goals and hand out 67 assists in their careers.

Defensively, the Spiders return two of their starting defenders in senior Jason Reynolds and junior Ray Baran. The two have combined for 62 starts on the back end, including 39 straight for Reynolds in his Spider career. Senior goalie Jack Rusbuldt also returns having started 20 games in his Spider career, including all seven last year. Rusbuldt’s 90 saves led the SoCon last season, including a career-high 22 against No. 6 Notre Dame.”

This game could go either way. Two coaches who know each other’s strength’s and weaknesses, first game jitters for some, long bus ride, etc…. I believe Richmond may have the edge in goal, or at least more experience. I like our Face Off Unit anchored by Savio, but I don’t know how he’ll respond to the new rule changes. Watching games this past weekend at least showed me that good FOGO’s did well, particularly the UVA FOGO. I’d give our rope Unit a slight edge because we have McNulty on the wing accompanied by Higgins, Benus and Milhouse.

Defensively I’d say it was even, although Richmond’s defenders appear to have more experience playing together as a Unit. Hounds have Wyers and LeBlanc back, and Hughes who subbed in some for Alex Johnson last year, as well as John Railey, who was hampered by injuries last season, and Cam James. I’ve heard several Hound Close D Sophomores added strength and weight over the past 8 months so that makes me feel better.

The Spiders may also have the edge at Attack and Midfield, although the Hounds can counter with Lindley, Olmstead, Swindell and Cox. Not sure Kamish and Poitras will be at game speed yet because sophomores were not on campus in the Fall, at least this is what I’ve been told. I’ll be very happy if I’m incorrect. I’m also unclear if Richmond was able to practice as a team in the Fall, but I do know Virginia colleges were less restrictive, so I’ll give Richmond the edge in team chemistry. If anyone knows anything different please chime in.

I like the Hound SSDMs (Higgins and Rezanka are as good as you get) and I’m just going to go ahead and give us the edge here, but their test will be covering Richmond’s larger middies.

All in all, I believe game will come down to whichever team has the Hot goalie and takes care of the ball, minimizing mistakes. I’d give the Spiders the edge in playing 6 v 6, but I’m sure our LSMs can create some havoc and create good transition opportunities. Give McNulty and Middleton the green light, which I suspect Toomey will, and that might give the Hounds a good chance to win. Who cares what the final score is. We're playing lacrosse. :)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:54 pm Toomey interview
https://glennclarkradio.com/archives/
The Toomey Interview starts at:
1:17:25
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:19 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ound/57268

a nice read to help start your day
Nice article!

Let's hope we can grind out a win this weekend...it will be tough, Richmond is really good, and I'm hearing that we will have a couple key pieces missing that will be back for UVA

Go Hounds!!!
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Game will be tough this weekend and I think Hounds are a decided Underdog in this one. Crappy weather may impede an already long bus ride. But Okay. Toomey also emphasized what I said in a previous post about the Rope Unit :lol: :lol: :lol:

With all seriousness, watch for Riley Cox to have a good season. And if Toomey lets the team "run and gun" it' gonna be fun. Will be interesting to see how they perform after a severely limited practice schedule. :D
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Due to forecasted inclement weather, the Richmond season opener against Loyola is being moved to Sunday at 1 p.m. at Robins Stadium. Still set for ESPN+ broadcast.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”