Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

stupefied wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:24 pm Thread gone off track with hearsay, second hand accounts and biased spins on matters unknown.

jhu06 posted some good forward looking questions (listed below) on John Hopkins 2021

Offseason questions
1. Who is the coach next year
2. What changes are coming to the coaching staff
3. What srs return
4. what underclassmen/recruits leave
5. what transfers come in
6. Can the vaunted recruits displace veterans
7. Does the staff view 2-4 as growing pains or do underachieving players lose jobs.
8. epsteins recovery
9. what happens to the unplayed portion of this years schedule for example do the games not played at homewood stay as home games next year and so on.
10. Last years offseason narrative was overhaul everything, what is this years?
11. who is in net/first midfield/ssdm/d.
1. Petro
2. None
3. I have no info but my hunch is not many seniors return. Maybe Lyne because he had already missed so much time throughout his career and was finally seeing the field in 2020. Williams, Smith, and Colwell are the three to watch.
4. Probably none that would have made a difference
5. Absolutely no clue—I've heard that we have reached out to one or two of the goalies in the portal but don't know if the interest is mutual.
6. Brendan Grimes is a day one starter. Other potential contributors off the top of my head: McDermott, Bauer, Smith, Raposo, Peshko, Martin, Chauvette
7. I've stopped trying to predict this staff's personnel decisions
8. Assuming everything starts on time, Epstein will be 8 months removed from his injury when fall ball begins and about a year when the regular season starts. If there are no setbacks he should be 100% for 2021, which of course drastically changes things on the offensive side of the ball.
9. My guess is the unplayed games flip locations just to make things easier and stick to the usual schedule. Unlikely but perhaps in all this chaos they find a way to get UVA back on the docket
10. Narrative will be—this is the most talented freshman class in a long time. If they can't win with these guys, they can't win
11. F if I know
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:09 am
flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am The verbal abuse consisted of being called “Fat F@ck” throughout the fall practices, day in, day out.

That’s over the top.

Meanwhile, the other staff watched. The other players watched.

I get missing a report date weight goal, but the resulting verbal abuse was both too much, and... ironic.

We left one other category out: Foleyed. Cleared to come back, wants to come back, team allowed to vote on it. No Foley.

You are in your last contract year and one glaring weakness is defense, and you let the team vote on something like that which might ultimately seal your own fate? Crazy.
That’s exactly what I heard as well. Except it has been multi year and multi player. Pretty much every thick guy catches the wrath and is fat shamed daily.

The Foley “vote” is absolute shocking. Imagine blowing off your best player because of some interpersonal junk.
Petros "fat shaming" ? What an angry, insecure unwell person........if true.

This season, while playing the bench in 4th quarter (and getting blown out), coach shaking his head b/c the bench can't clear the ball b/c of the 10 man ride. Problem is, the starters couldn't clear the ball either. Why was he shaking his head? In disgust? At a 19 year old. YOU......didn't prepare your team for the 10 man ride. YOU...coach. But, he didn't look inward. Never takes notes. Tough to do when your fingers are covered with cheetos dust.
forgot to add.......4th quarter player, during the clear, actually stepped out of bounds in referenced. Easy to do. What's w/ all the football lines, thought Hopkins was a LAX school.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm
stupefied wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:24 pm Thread gone off track with hearsay, second hand accounts and biased spins on matters unknown.

jhu06 posted some good forward looking questions (listed below) on John Hopkins 2021

Offseason questions
1. Who is the coach next year
2. What changes are coming to the coaching staff
3. What srs return
4. what underclassmen/recruits leave
5. what transfers come in
6. Can the vaunted recruits displace veterans
7. Does the staff view 2-4 as growing pains or do underachieving players lose jobs.
8. epsteins recovery
9. what happens to the unplayed portion of this years schedule for example do the games not played at homewood stay as home games next year and so on.
10. Last years offseason narrative was overhaul everything, what is this years?
11. who is in net/first midfield/ssdm/d.
1. Petro
2. None
3. I have no info but my hunch is not many seniors return. Maybe Lyne because he had already missed so much time throughout his career and was finally seeing the field in 2020. Williams, Smith, and Colwell are the three to watch.
4. Probably none that would have made a difference
5. Absolutely no clue—I've heard that we have reached out to one or two of the goalies in the portal but don't know if the interest is mutual.
6. Brendan Grimes is a day one starter. Other potential contributors off the top of my head: McDermott, Bauer, Smith, Raposo, Peshko, Martin, Chauvette
7. I've stopped trying to predict this staff's personnel decisions
8. Assuming everything starts on time, Epstein will be 8 months removed from his injury when fall ball begins and about a year when the regular season starts. If there are no setbacks he should be 100% for 2021, which of course drastically changes things on the offensive side of the ball.
9. My guess is the unplayed games flip locations just to make things easier and stick to the usual schedule. Unlikely but perhaps in all this chaos they find a way to get UVA back on the docket
10. Narrative will be—this is the most talented freshman class in a long time. If they can't win with these guys, they can't win
11. F if I know
honest question 16- but weren't Shack's and Supinki's freshman class both #1 in the IL rankings? Shack's class panned out well, but i'm merely curious and wondering why this 2020 class is so heralded. I only know that Grimes and McDermott are the headliners, but could you shed some more light on the 2020 incoming recruits?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:28 pm honest question 16- but weren't Shack's and Supinki's freshman class both #1 in the IL rankings? Shack's class panned out well, but i'm merely curious and wondering why this 2020 class is so heralded. I only know that Grimes and McDermott are the headliners, but could you shed some more light on the 2020 incoming recruits?
This incoming class is better than the Shack/Tinney class was when they were high school seniors, in my opinion. On paper at least. We know that doesn't always exactly correlate with college success. But it's a start. Hopefully Petro or whoever the coach is knows how to get the most out of them...

The class is quite deep. That's the difference I'd say. 2015 had star power but was not as talented in the middle and back end of the group, IMO. Shack and Tinney were both huge impact players but then after that it was pretty much just Moreland, Fraser as a role-player, and one decent year out of Valis. It was pretty top heavy.

Grimes profiles as a dominant D1 player. You can't teach his combination of size, skill, and shooting ability. If he stays healthy I feel pretty confident about him being a difference maker. McDermott is a great passer, tenacious rider, all-around complete attackman. I've been pretty blown away every time I watch the kid play. Hopkins fans are going to like him. And Scott Smith is a freak athlete with incredible footwork. His highlights from last season are on YouTube and do a pretty good job explaining why he projects as a top-tier D1 defender.

Some of the other guys:

Tyler Dunn - excellent FOGO for Calvert Hall
Michael DiMarsico - goalie, looks like a brick wall every time I see him play
Jakson Raposo and Johnathan Peshko - two Canadian middies, I'm particularly excited about Pehsko who is a giant but also has great box skills
Dylan Bauer and Cam Chauvette - two more quality attackmen
Brett Martin - terrific midfield athlete

Even the guys whom IL does not rank as highly (the 3 stars) are better IMO than the "bottom" tiers of previous classes. Chase LaDrido is a super athletic middie out of California. Patrick Deans, Cody Ince — more good athletes. You might be noticing a theme emerging. The class is fast and athletic. Speed wins games. They've also gone a little outside the box geographically—Georgia, Utah, Ohio, Florida, Cali—and have added a few "late bloomers" unlike in previous years.

Again—none of this guarantees they will be any good in college and we've seen several heralded classes disappoint. But speaking for me and me alone, I am more excited about this group than I've been about any in a long time. More than any in at least 5 years for sure and definitely more than last year's which barring sudden emergences next year is looking like a relatively thin group.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:46 am
pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:33 am Just a lurker on the Hopkins board but am shocked into commenting by the Foley saga.
The "vote" occurred after the 2019 season and was about whether or not to bring him back for an additional year of eligibility to make up for the one he lost due to academics. He is now playing in the PLL for the Waterdogs. He was not "voted out of the university."
Would he note have been able to be enrolled if voted back and not if voted no? He wasn’t going to be playing while not enrolled at the school.
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

I’ve gotta imagine that, if Hop is allowing 5th year players, Jackson Morrill becomes a priority after the news out of Yale. Obviously not the biggest name who could be available but could be a nice second chance for Petro to keep the family bleeding powder blue. Anyone have any insights on what he could do/why he didn’t choose Hop the first time around?
Also, who else do you guys think Hopkins has a shot it who is either in the transfer portal currently or will likely be entering soon?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Lax1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:26 am I’ve gotta imagine that, if Hop is allowing 5th year players, Jackson Morrill becomes a priority after the news out of Yale. Obviously not the biggest name who could be available but could be a nice second chance for Petro to keep the family bleeding powder blue. Anyone have any insights on what he could do/why he didn’t choose Hop the first time around?
Also, who else do you guys think Hopkins has a shot it who is either in the transfer portal currently or will likely be entering soon?
Sowers has also entered the transfer portal.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Lax1 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:26 am I’ve gotta imagine that, if Hop is allowing 5th year players, Jackson Morrill becomes a priority after the news out of Yale. Obviously not the biggest name who could be available but could be a nice second chance for Petro to keep the family bleeding powder blue. Anyone have any insights on what he could do/why he didn’t choose Hop the first time around?
It's Columbia Blue :D
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:34 am
It's Columbia Blue :D
He's an excellent player .Would consider JHU frontrunners for his considerable talents. Be fortunate turn.

Part of article below gives some explaination why he choose Yale .

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... c-families

"If you’re wondering how Morrill ended up at Yale instead of Hopkins – where his father teamed up as a junior with current Blue Jays coach Dave Pietramala on the ’87 title team – Mike Morrill says it came down to two factors.

One was a compelling recruiting pitch by Shay. The other was the presence of then-attackman/quarterback Shack Stanwick as a fixture at Homewood, where Stanwick would be a junior during Morrill’s freshman year.

“We had a fantastic recruiting trip to Hopkins, and our first visit to Yale really resonated with [Jackson]. We went back two more times. It was clear Andy really wanted him,” Mike Morrill says. “With Shack there [at Hopkins], we didn’t know if Jackson would play [for those first two years]. He wasn’t too excited about that.”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In terms of colors BTW - Hopkins - from most official proclamations has dropped the "Columbia" and now offers the athletic colors as Black and Blue with the Blue identified as PMS (Pantone Matching System) 284

While the family connection between the Morrills and Hopkins are obvious and intriguing - if he didn't think playing with Shack for 2 years was his cup of tea will he consider playing with Epstein for 1. Same issue with Sowers. Nice problem to have in terms of a healthy Epstein is hopefully the least of your issues but any one of those players needs the ball in their stick alot.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:55 pm In terms of colors BTW - Hopkins - from most official proclamations has dropped the "Columbia" and now offers the athletic colors as Black and Blue with the Blue identified as PMS (Pantone Matching System) 284

While the family connection between the Morrills and Hopkins are obvious and intriguing - if he didn't think playing with Shack for 2 years was his cup of tea will he consider playing with Epstein for 1. Same issue with Sowers. Nice problem to have in terms of a healthy Epstein is hopefully the least of your issues but any one of those players needs the ball in their stick alot.
Morrill has already won a national championship at Yale—he might decide he's accomplished everything he's wanted to in college and move on rather than play somewhere else for one more season. Sowers on the other hand has never even played in an NCAA tournament game—he was on track to do so this year before it was cut short so if anyone is going to be motivated to give it another go it's probably him.

IF Morrill does want to keep playing, you'd think Hopkins would be a legitimate option—he'd be very close to home and obviously would get to continue the family tradition, if only for one year. I don't know how much the "lacrosse fit" really comes into play here especially for a guy who has nothing left to prove. Epstein wants to win and he'd welcome the addition—they are both extremely high-IQ players and would find a way to make it work for a season. You're going to run into the same problem at most top programs which already have guys that need the ball in their sticks a lot.

No clue how Petro or any coach will be able to give the full sales pitch to potential transfers and recruits when nothing can be done in person. Hopefully they're figuring out how to give a good Zoom tour of the Cordish Center.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Can always dream ... how about Jackson Morrill and BJ Burlace transfer in as a “package deal”, with Michael Sowers joining from Princeton? Murphy and Grimes can find playing time at midfield, substituting in on attack, and on man-up.

How would a team even defend an attack with Epstein, Sowers, and Morrill?

Of course, we would still need a 50%+ goalie. :?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm Can always dream ... how about Jackson Morrill and BJ Burlace transfer in as a “package deal”, with Michael Sowers joining from Princeton? Murphy and Grimes can find playing time at midfield, substituting in on attack, and on man-up.

DocBarrister 8-)
Burlace is almost certainly going to Maryland.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:55 pm In terms of colors BTW - Hopkins - from most official proclamations has dropped the "Columbia" and now offers the athletic colors as Black and Blue with the Blue identified as PMS (Pantone Matching System) 284

I dunno’ ... “PMS 284” just doesn’t have the same ring as “Columbia Blue.”

Besides, our own CB&B would have to post as PMS284&Black.

Just doesn’t cut it.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:32 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm Can always dream ... how about Jackson Morrill and BJ Burlace transfer in as a “package deal”, with Michael Sowers joining from Princeton? Murphy and Grimes can find playing time at midfield, substituting in on attack, and on man-up.

DocBarrister 8-)
Burlace is almost certainly going to Maryland.
I thought Burlace was looking for an accredited college.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:40 am
Now think about it...why would Sowers consider Hopkins when Epstein is the alfa-attackman there?

And, I doubt he would want to deal with the drama.

Don't forget the vacuum Ament has left at PSU. Would that be a good academic fit for Sowers...who knows?

I just want to see him play (anywhere) one more year. (except for Hopkins)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

tech37 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:40 am
Now think about it...why would Sowers consider Hopkins when Epstein is the alfa-attackman there?

And, I doubt he would want to deal with the drama.

Don't forget the vacuum Ament has left at PSU. Would that be a good academic fit for Sowers...who knows?

I just want to see him play (anywhere) one more year. (except for Hopkins)
Well, both Sowers and Epstein can do it all ... score goals and assist. Pass and dodge.

However, Sowers mostly assists (more assists than goals), while Epstein mostly finishes (more goals than assists). Too simplistic, I know, and does not consider a lot of other important things that comprise chemistry on the field.

Still, the point being ... one can imagine them being symbiotic on attack.

Most importantly, both are absolutely determined to win.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Enough with the Sowers, DocB. He's not coming here for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that he is good friends with Jack Rapine since childhood—they played in high school together and Sowers' dad was their coach. Leaving all the hearsay and unconfirmed rumors of the situation out of it, I doubt that Mr. Rapine will exactly give his buddy a glowing recommendation of the program he just left. My guess is Sowers ends up at Duke, Virginia, Penn State, or Georgetown, which was his second choice before he committed to Princeton. Duke is in the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) position of being a desirable top-tier destination that could really use a quarterback on offense to play mostly behind the cage. And I guess now that Ament is gone, PSU is in a similar boat.

Morrill, however—should he enter the portal (he very well may not)—would be a more realistic target IMO.

These big names are fun to talk about but what the Jays could really use in 2021 is competent goaltending. There are several already in the portal.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm Enough with the Sowers, DocB. He's not coming here for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that he is good friends with Jack Rapine since childhood—they played in high school together and Sowers' dad was their coach. Leaving all the hearsay and unconfirmed rumors of the situation out of it, I doubt that Mr. Rapine will exactly give his buddy a glowing recommendation of the program he just left. My guess is Sowers ends up at Duke, Virginia, Penn State, or Georgetown, which was his second choice before he committed to Princeton. Duke is in the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) position of being a desirable top-tier destination that could really use a quarterback on offense to play mostly behind the cage. And I guess now that Ament is gone, PSU is in a similar boat.

Morrill, however—should he enter the portal (he very well may not)—would be a more realistic target IMO.

These big names are fun to talk about but what the Jays could really use in 2021 is competent goaltending. There are several already in the portal.
but what about sowers and epstein together?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:49 pm Enough with the Sowers, DocB. He's not coming here for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that he is good friends with Jack Rapine since childhood—they played in high school together and Sowers' dad was their coach. Leaving all the hearsay and unconfirmed rumors of the situation out of it, I doubt that Mr. Rapine will exactly give his buddy a glowing recommendation of the program he just left. My guess is Sowers ends up at Duke, Virginia, Penn State, or Georgetown, which was his second choice before he committed to Princeton. Duke is in the fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on how you look at it) position of being a desirable top-tier destination that could really use a quarterback on offense to play mostly behind the cage. And I guess now that Ament is gone, PSU is in a similar boat.

but what about sowers and epstein together?
No way.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”