Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Thanks for the well oiled machine, gents

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:03 pm I don't know the names or the faces, but to whomever the folks are who keep the Back-Up Stick the first choice out of the gym bag--Thank you!

It's great to have a place to talk shop with other wlax fans. FL is also the only place I know where I can read insightful, knowledgeable and sometimes very amusing posts. None of us would be able to do that if it wasn't for you guys doing a bang up job. Always there, always reliable. I say that because I have never encountered a glitch using this forum. And lastly, you let the members express themselves freely but know when to step in and whistle someone off the ice.

Hip Hip!!
Nice post. I am still looking for those humorous posts.....I havent found one person on this forum that makes me laugh ---sarcastica font----
8meterPA

Re: Thanks for the well oiled machine, gents

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:03 pm I don't know the names or the faces, but to whomever the folks are who keep the Back-Up Stick the first choice out of the gym bag--Thank you!

It's great to have a place to talk shop with other wlax fans. FL is also the only place I know where I can read insightful, knowledgeable and sometimes very amusing posts. None of us would be able to do that if it wasn't for you guys doing a bang up job. Always there, always reliable. I say that because I have never encountered a glitch using this forum. And lastly, you let the members express themselves freely but know when to step in and whistle someone off the ice.

Hip Hip!!
I think we found the burner account for FL..... ;)
Cletus

Regarding Sung, Duke and Penn State

Post by Cletus »

The way I see it, the young ladies who play for these teams have nothing to do with the coach and/or team history. The first time I had a realization of this was after the Penn State football scandal. It dawned on me after a while, what do these young ladies playing lacrosse have to do with what happened in the football program? What do the young ladies playing lacrosse for Duke have to do with that awful (and false) scandal that happened on the men’s side? And finally, regardless of what kind of coach/person Sung is, what does he have to do with the young ladies who are trying to play a game they love and get an education for their careers? In my estimation, nothing. All to say, I have a special place inside for these 3 programs. I root for them because they have had unfair negative shade from things they had nothing to do with. Anyway—just some thoughts.
DMac

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by DMac »

What kind of a coach/person (insert coach's name here) absolutely matters. These coaches have a huge influence on these athletes' lives at a time when they're passing through their teen years and becoming young adults. I would not want my teen aged son/daughter being influenced by a Bobby Knight type for example, character and respect matter.
Reputation of the school matters too, which isn't to say the athletes playing today had anything to do with past goings on or should be held accountable for such, but people don't forget about the kind of horrendous scandals that Duke and Penn State gave us. I will never forgive Duke for their spinelessness in handling their non rape scandal, but I can watch their lacrosse teams play without making any connection between the athletes and the administration. You're going to hear about these things if you choose to go to Duke or Penn State though, that's just the way it is through no fault of your own.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 am What kind of a coach/person (insert coach's name here) absolutely matters. These coaches have a huge influence on these athletes' lives at a time when they're passing through their teen years and becoming young adults. I would not want my teen aged son/daughter being influenced by a Bobby Knight type for example, character and respect matter.
Reputation of the school matters too, which isn't to say the athletes playing today had anything to do with past goings on or should be held accountable for such, but people don't forget about the kind of horrendous scandals that Duke and Penn State gave us. I will never forgive Duke for their spinelessness in handling their non rape scandal, but I can watch their lacrosse teams play without making any connection between the athletes and the administration. You're going to hear about these things if you choose to go to Duke or Penn State though, that's just the way it is through no fault of your own.
I think we’re saying the same thing DMac. I know you wouldn’t hold it against the young ladies who chose to play lacrosse at Virginia Tech the fact that they have Sung for a coach. I can’t root against the team because of the coach. That wouldn’t be fair to the women who play there. As I say, just some thoughts.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:40 am I can’t root against the team because of the coach. That wouldn’t be fair to the women who play there. As I say, just some thoughts.
I am sorry, but I can to some degree. I personally know many of the fine young ladies that play on that team, my daughter played club and high school with many hokies, I went to VT, I root for all the sports there, but can't separate my distaste for him. Sorry, it's personal....
DMac

Post by DMac »

I can absolutely root against a team because of their coach, see Bill Tierney (carries on like a complete horzezasz on the sideline treating people like garbage...the refs) and Bobby Knight in his day. Doesn't mean I have anything against the kids who are playing for them but I don't want to see those type coaches win.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:01 am
Cletus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:40 am I can’t root against the team because of the coach. That wouldn’t be fair to the women who play there. As I say, just some thoughts.
I am sorry, but I can to some degree. I personally know many of the fine young ladies that play on that team, my daughter played club and high school with many hokies, I went to VT, I root for all the sports there, but can't separate my distaste for him. Sorry, it's personal....
I actually feel sorry for his players. They just want to go to VT and play lacrosse. What are they supposed to do? Whatever they do on the field that they get flack for, they're just trying to buy in and win, just like every other team. And he is not the easiest coach to play for, on an emotional level. I root for many of the players on an individual level and I don't begrudge any of them any success. They have some really talented athletes who've worked their butts off. But I just can't bring myself to root for VT as a team. Don't care who they're playing. Can't do it.
Cletus

Impressions from February

Post by Cletus »

Loyola isn’t what we thought they were. They really crashed and burned against Syracuse and they haven’t recovered yet.

Syracuse is the real deal. They kicked the crap out of the disinterested and distracted Seawolves without Emily Hawryschuk. They also took care of business, and then some, versus Loyola.

There have been a number of impressive upsets during the month of February which says to me parity is fun.

UNC has passed every test so far and they’re being mighty stingy in the process.

What are some of yours?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Apparently Lax Power automatically translates the word krap (when you spell it with a “c”) into “dump” now? Seems like a pretty mild word to have to change, no? What is this, grammar school?
8meterPA

Re: Impressions from February

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:35 am Loyola isn’t what we thought they were. They really crashed and burned against Syracuse and they haven’t recovered yet.

Syracuse is the real deal. They kicked the dump out of the disinterested and distracted Seawolves without Emily Hawryschuk. They also took care of business, and then some, versus Loyola.

There have been a number of impressive upsets during the month of February which says to me parity is fun.

UNC has passed every test so far and they’re being mighty stingy in the process.

What are some of yours?
I was thinking that UNC & Syracuse may be a toss up with Syracuse really impressing to the upside, but without #51 in lineup for the orange, I don't know that anyone beats UNC this year. After those 2, I think there is a huge drop off to the next level - NW & ND, and then I think there is another sizeable drop off for teams 5 - 20.

UNC's defense impresses me more than their offense - which i know was good, but really didn't appreciate how good the defense & goaltending is.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Cletus wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:35 am Loyola isn’t what we thought they were. They really crashed and burned against Syracuse and they haven’t recovered yet.

Syracuse is the real deal. They kicked the dump out of the disinterested and distracted Seawolves without Emily Hawryschuk. They also took care of business, and then some, versus Loyola.

What are some of yours?
I was thinking that UNC & Syracuse may be a toss up with Syracuse really impressing to the upside, but without #51 in lineup for the orange, I don't know that anyone beats UNC this year. After those 2, I think there is a huge drop off to the next level - NW & ND, and then I think there is another sizeable drop off for teams 5 - 20.

UNC's defense impresses me more than their offense - which i know was good, but really didn't appreciate how good the defense & goaltending is.
I would say
UNC
SYR
ND
NU
Top 4 teams...after that big drop off teams 5-15
laxagainsthumanity

What are some of yours?

Do we know if Hawryschuk's injury is long-term?? If so, Cuse is still a top-five team but it's a much tougher road to the pinnacle.

Gonna be hard to gauge NU this year against this Big Ten madness.

I think ND has a ton of potential. They've only played one game and they got much better throughout. If Aldave's injury is short-term, they could be right up there with UNC and Cuse.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:28 am

What are some of yours?

Do we know if Hawryschuk's injury is long-term?? If so, Cuse is still a top-five team but it's a much tougher road to the pinnacle.

Gonna be hard to gauge NU this year against this Big Ten madness.

I think ND has a ton of potential. They've only played one game and they got much better throughout. If Aldave's injury is short-term, they could be right up there with UNC and Cuse.
Re: Hawryshuk injury - sounds like it's an ACL according to article in us lax mag

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... e-goes-off

prior to that news, I really thought Syracuse had a legit chance to compete with UNC, now not so sure.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:42 am Re: Hawryshuk injury - sounds like it's an ACL according to article in us lax mag

prior to that news, I really thought Syracuse had a legit chance to compete with UNC, now not so sure.
That is a crushing blow to Syracuse. They won’t be able to do it without her leadership.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:48 am
8meterPA wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:42 am Re: Hawryshuk injury - sounds like it's an ACL according to article in us lax mag

That is a crushing blow to Syracuse. They won’t be able to do it without her leadership.
yep and I would have bet on her to win Tewaaraton this year. She plays on another level.
Cletus

Why did Emma Schettig transfer out from Maryland?

Post by Cletus »

I’m curious about this because typically, a player transfers out from Maryland because they’re not getting playing time. This was certainly not the case with Emma. She was part of the core of the new defense. Why did she leave?
seacoaster

Re: Why did Emma Schettig transfer out from Maryland?

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:42 am I’m curious about this because typically, a player transfers out from Maryland because they’re not getting playing time. This was certainly not the case with Emma. She was part of the core of the new defense. Why did she leave?
Went to McDonogh with Aldave and Buchanan? Was on the U19 team with Choma? Modestly better academics? Wanted to go to a school far enough away that she wouldn't hear her Dad or Mom yell about non-calls? Wanted to meet Mayor Pete and thought, "this is my shot"? Wanted to live in Indiana for these three years because she had an inkling that she'd otherwise never go there?

Sorry to anyone I might have offended; these days, you just don't know.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:41 pm Sorry to anyone I might have offended; these days, you just don't know.
https://youtu.be/xhOK3DZ8vl8
laxagainsthumanity

Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:42 am I’m curious about this because typically, a player transfers out from Maryland because they’re not getting playing time. This was certainly not the case with Emma. She was part of the core of the new defense. Why did she leave?
My guess is Schettig just realized she wanted something different from her college experience. I doubt it had much to do with lacrosse. There are plenty of reasons to like ND—smaller school, private, very prestigious, fantastic alumni network, beautiful campus, ample opportunities to celebrate and grow in one's faith, and a great lacrosse program to boot.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”