Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Matnum PI »

In 2016, UVA beat JHU in OT and.... Hmmm. And some of those 7 Ws were weak.
2017 was better. But similar.
2013 was a little better than 2017. At least they were Top 20 in 2013.

Bottomline, 2019 is weighted more than 2013 (1.0 vs. 0.4) but 2016 and 2017 were not so long ago.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

90s buffalo bills. team of the decade.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

'90-'93, for sure one of the top teams. But considering the NFC won the Superbowl from '84-'96, despite playing in the Superbowl 4 times, it's not so clear that the Bills would be so close to the top even during those years. Niners, Cowboys, Giants, Packers, Redskins...
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Another impressive thing about the Terps. From 2005 until today, every year, Maryland's been a single digit ranked team. Every year except 2007 and 2009. A decade plus ago and, both these seasons, they were ranked #11. That's pretty impressive. (Notre Dame is similar, which is why they're ranked #3 on this list, but, obviously, they have less top-top rankings than Maryland and Duke.) Most every other team has at least one clunker. Even Duke, when they were ranked #22 in 2006.
Caddy Day
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

According to Ty Xanders, the Terps have picked up the #5 2021 recruit Dante Trader from Mcdonogh via Delaware.
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/11 ... gr%5Etweet
Live Free or Die!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:50 am Another impressive thing about the Terps. From 2005 until today, every year, Maryland's been a single digit ranked team. Every year except 2007 and 2009. A decade plus ago and, both these seasons, they were ranked #11. That's pretty impressive. (Notre Dame is similar, which is why they're ranked #3 on this list, but, obviously, they have less top-top rankings than Maryland and Duke.) Most every other team has at least one clunker. Even Duke, when they were ranked #22 in 2006.
HHHMMM Duke 2006......maybe some reason for that one year "clunker"
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Yup. One of the worst travesties ever by a public official. However, it got Danowski to Duke. I wonder if the order changes if you start at 2007 instead of 2006.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

The San Francisco Giants have made the playoffs 4 times in the last 15 years. Dodgers have made it 10 times. And that means absolutely nothing. The Giants have 3 world series rings and the Dodgers zero in that time frame, so the Giants are a historically great franchise over that time frame and the Dodgers are irrelevant.

Now if you close the window from 2011 to 2019, Maryland moves up a bit, but still Duke and UVA are ahead. UVA's 2011 National Championship was pretty random (they had a lot of problems during and before that season) but it still counts infinitely more than any other result.

It does not diminish the fact that Tillman and Maryland have "been the best" or at least close to it, but historically speaking they are on par with UNC, Loyola, Denver and Yale in the single measure that matters. Tillman is great and Maryland lacrosse is great.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 pm Now if you close the window from 2011 to 2019, Maryland moves up a bit, but still Duke and UVA are ahead. UVA's 2011 National Championship was pretty random (they had a lot of problems during and before that season) but it still counts infinitely more than any other result.

It does not diminish the fact that Tillman and Maryland have "been the best" or at least close to it, but historically speaking they are on par with UNC, Loyola, Denver and Yale in the single measure that matters. Tillman is great and Maryland lacrosse is great.
That is your way of evaluating it, based solely on winning titles. Titles are worth the most, but are not worth infinitely worth more than other results.
There are negative results like having losing seasons also.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Highlights on Dante Trader, Jr.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmqP9BY6wvE

Fast. Strong right-handed shot. Goes left a couple times. Good size. :D
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
keno in reno wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:00 pm Now if you close the window from 2011 to 2019, Maryland moves up a bit, but still Duke and UVA are ahead. UVA's 2011 National Championship was pretty random (they had a lot of problems during and before that season) but it still counts infinitely more than any other result.

That is your way of evaluating it, based solely on winning titles. Titles are worth the most, but are not worth infinitely worth more than other results.
That's fine. Fans by nature are homers, and by nature they will see things through a favorable lens. There is almost an entire decade of great achievements that Tillman's Terps teams have achieved, and I certainly love it and appreciate his greatness.

But, history shows that only championships matter in any sport. The Caps are not a better franchise than the Penguins or the Blackhawks, though they have probably had more wins and fewer crappy years over the past decade. The Nats should be a better franchise than San Francisco based on bad seasons or wins, but SF blows them away historically. Not sure why championships is a difficult concept to use as an unbiased measure of success.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm

That's fine. Fans by nature are homers, and by nature they will see things through a favorable lens. There is almost an entire decade of great achievements that Tillman's Terps teams have achieved, and I certainly love it and appreciate his greatness.

But, history shows that only championships matter in any sport. The Caps are not a better franchise than the Penguins or the Blackhawks, though they have probably had more wins and fewer crappy years over the past decade. The Nats should be a better franchise than San Francisco based on bad seasons or wins, but SF blows them away historically. Not sure why championships is a difficult concept to use as an unbiased measure of success.
That is your opinion, but I do not feel it is a good opinion.
I am not being a homer, just evaluating things differently than you do. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Cooter wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:15 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm

That is your opinion, but I do not feel it is a good opinion.
I am not being a homer, just evaluating things differently than you do. :idea:
And that's fine. I don't think your opinion is a good opinion simply because you post more opinions than most here.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:50 pm
And that's fine. I don't think your opinion is a good opinion simply because you post more opinions than most here.
That is certainly reasonable. There are posters, who post a lot here, whose opinions are often not that good.

That being said, rather then attacking the messenger you might spend some time looking at why your opinion might not be viewed as a good one. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL gave Maryland #5 incoming class

16 Conor Calderone
22 Logan McNany
44 Dylan Pallonetti
45 Jack Sawyer
56 Justin Sherrer
76 Jack Brennan
79 Dawson Wynne
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:23 pm IL gave Maryland #5 incoming class

16 Conor Calderone
22 Logan McNany
44 Dylan Pallonetti
45 Jack Sawyer
56 Justin Sherrer
76 Jack Brennan
79 Dawson Wynne
Pretty big jump for Calderone from #66. He had a pretty big year at Smithtown West, and made the final cut for the U-19 team.
McNaney also made a pretty big jump from #43. He looked pretty good there in the UA AA game.
Pallonetti had a rather large drop. It is fair to say that his number were not that high this Spring for Ward Melville. I think he will probably try to play midfield for UMd, so his speed and big left-handed shot look good there.
Jack Sawyer climbed from #78 to #45. I expected him to be a little higher. One of the 5 MIAA US AAs. MIAA attackmen have been doing pretty good in D1 lately. I think I'd put him in the 25 to 30 range.
Justin Sherrer dropped from #41 to #56, needed to score some goals down in GA where he did a backflip or something :?:
Brennan dropped a little from #69 to #76.
Wynne climbed a little from #83 to #79
Kelan Duff dropped out from #73.
I thought maybe Garrett Gibbons with his big year at Massapequa might make the bottom of the top 100.

I wonder if they count Nick DeMaio in UMd's #5 ranking.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 pm

16 Conor Calderone
22 Logan McNany
44 Dylan Pallonetti
45 Jack Sawyer
56 Justin Sherrer
76 Jack Brennan
79 Dawson Wynne
Pretty big jump for Calderone from #66. He had a pretty big year at Smithtown West, and made the final cut for the U-19 team.
McNaney also made a pretty big jump from #43. He looked pretty good there in the UA AA game.
Pallonetti had a rather large drop. It is fair to say that his number were not that high this Spring for Ward Melville. I think he will probably try to play midfield for UMd, so his speed and big left-handed shot look good there.
Jack Sawyer climbed from #78 to #45. I expected him to be a little higher. One of the 5 MIAA US AAs. MIAA attackmen have been doing pretty good in D1 lately. I think I'd put him in the 25 to 30 range.
Justin Sherrer dropped from #41 to #56, needed to score some goals down in GA where he did a backflip or something :?:
Brennan dropped a little from #69 to #76.
Wynne climbed a little from #83 to #79
Kelan Duff dropped out from #73.
I thought maybe Garrett Gibbons with his big year at Massapequa might make the bottom of the top 100.

I wonder if they count Nick DeMaio in UMd's #5 ranking.
Do you know what the basis was for the movement from Fall to now? How visible were these players during their Spring seasons? Were the games televised or did the IL staff get game film to evaluate players?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

16 Conor Calderone
22 Logan McNany
44 Dylan Pallonetti
45 Jack Sawyer
56 Justin Sherrer
76 Jack Brennan
79 Dawson Wynne
Connor Whalen's athleticism might get him on the field before a lot of the offensive guys. Definitely a sleeper to keep an eye out for.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 pm
Do you know what the basis was for the movement from Fall to now? How visible were these players during their Spring seasons? Were the games televised or did the IL staff get game film to evaluate players?
I don't really know what the basis is. The underlying basis is supposedly a prediction of success at the D1 level.

Ward Melville (Pallonetti) was in a televised tournament with games on Saturday and Sunday.
Calvert Hall (Sawyer) had a number of games on youtube.
Salisbury school came down for a post-season tmt in the D.C. area.

I guessing Sherrer and Brennan were least visible. Although Sherrer has his senior highlights up on youtube, as does Brennan - and Brennan was at the U-19 tryouts.
Live Free or Die!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”