Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by flalax22 »

Big Dog wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:45 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
LOL - I said before I am not sold on Duke - think their mid-field would really have to step up for them to make a serious run but they are last year finalists - with alot back from last year - #3 in RPI and they are 10-3 so he's not necessarily wrong. Also still at #3 SOS

QK was also on point with his Hopkins analysis - including identifying Ohio State as a "trap game"

He still takes his veiled shots at Hopkins though as evidenced by:
- How many times can he mention Garret Degnon's 3rd senior day? I think vaguely implying something was not quite right
- "Announced 5,800" whenever somebody says "announced" the implication it was fewer - maybe that's the shot "06 was talking about with Hopkins alums - in defense of them - it looked to be a pretty nasty day - alot of the younger alums bring their kids to Homecoming - last thing I would want to do is take a 5 and 3 year old out for two plus hours in that weather.
- He tiptoed right up to the line IMO when Aviles turned the ball over on the clear and while it was completely appropriate for an analyst to point out the Hopkins defense was tired and Penn State needed to take advantage in a close game it kind of seemed like the "chop their head off" was tinged with rooting for it to happen. He never used such visceral language when Hopkins had the ball.
- He carries some light worded disdain for Crawley's offense - "minimally invasive" is now his catchphrase but he's worded it in other ways too
- There was some disdain left over for shooting choices by Hopkins - "all day every day twice on Sunday" comes to mind - apparently even with a slightly worse shot percentage and the exact same number of saves by the Hopkins goalie - PSU did not take many poor shots

I think as the Top analyst he should maybe think about the following. If rested Hopkins indeed has one of the better defenses in the country. #1 SOS and the opponents Shot Percentage is 26%. That means you have to get to exactly 50 shots on average to score 13 goals. Opponents are averaging 38 shots per game. You are going to win or be pretty close in alot of lacrosse games if your opponents shoot 26% and the volume of shots is not in the stratosphere. Couple that with a less than dominant face-off performance and you have an offense that wants to take it deep in the shot clock and rely on above average shooting so some of the perimeter minimal invasiveness is very much intended.
No question Q has been hard on Hopkins for years, but I think he is mellowing and now more fair. But I made several of those those same points to my wife as we were watching the game: 'yeah, it's a shot, but not a good shot. Right to the goalie's net, with not much heat.' And yes, our O seems to take quarters off. We also struggle against the Zone. (think Rutgers, or EMO - a far cry from the days of, 'Foul a Jay, and the band will play'.). That's on Coach C.
Quint being more fair with the program has everything to do with the staffing changes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm Quint being more fair with the program has everything to do with the staffing changes.
Eventually someone is going to come out with a story of how Petro stole QK's girl

Quint was hard on the program because...they weren't good. So he called it like it was. Perhaps he relished in it a little too much but he wasn't wrong. He's been pretty fair this season though sometimes the animosity still seeps out. Occasionally it feels like he's rooting for our opponents but maybe that's unfair and I'm imagining it.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

No... you're not imagining it !
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:41 pm Quint being more fair with the program has everything to do with the staffing changes.
I always thought - based upon game calls and the times QK would be part of a interview with Petro - that the relationship wasn't as warm and fuzzy as you might think for teammates that won a title together and competed in one of the best finals ever. For example, there was NO way David would be happy with anybody calling his defensive schemes "soft" which Quint continually did in the latter half of the tenure. I was then mildly surprised at Q's reaction to the events of April, 2020 when he didn't appear to support the moves at all.

I must imagine it too - here's another recent example. A guy posted the goal highlights from the Penn State game and I couldn't help but notice the following. Go back and listen to the audio after Costin ties it at 8 - immediately there is a big "OOOOOhhhh" from the color announcer. Now contrast that to when Collison scores the OT goal and Cotter says "Collison wins it for Hopkins" - it is a full 47 seconds before another word is uttered and it ia a very bland "Jays win this with defense blah blah blah" Now again - he certainly wasn't wrong at all - but the tone after those two goals was markedly different.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:43 pm I must imagine it too - here's another recent example. A guy posted the goal highlights from the Penn State game and I couldn't help but notice the following. Go back and listen to the audio after Costin ties it at 8 - immediately there is a big "OOOOOhhhh" from the color announcer. Now contrast that to when Collison scores the OT goal and Cotter says "Collison wins it for Hopkins" - it is a full 47 seconds before another word is uttered and it ia a very bland "Jays win this with defense blah blah blah" Now again - he certainly wasn't wrong at all - but the tone after those two goals was markedly different.
On a similar note, Quint literally did not say a single word from when there was 19 seconds left in the UVA game through the end of the broadcast. Someone here picked up on it at the time and I'm surprised it wasn't discussed more. When the clock hits zero there is 35 seconds of silence from the broadcast booth while the Jays are celebrating, then the play-by-play guy cuts back in to sign off. Still nothing from Q. I understand letting the moment speak for itself — sometimes less is more — but he quite literally does not speak a word. I've got to be honest I've never seen anything like that before. The last we hear from him is him criticizing Bauer for not shooting on the empty net out of the timeout. That was his final word on the Jays victory in Charlottesville.

Can watch it back here, I've tee'd it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dje7LYgdf1I&t=6325s
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:17 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:43 pm I must imagine it too - here's another recent example. A guy posted the goal highlights from the Penn State game and I couldn't help but notice the following. Go back and listen to the audio after Costin ties it at 8 - immediately there is a big "OOOOOhhhh" from the color announcer. Now contrast that to when Collison scores the OT goal and Cotter says "Collison wins it for Hopkins" - it is a full 47 seconds before another word is uttered and it ia a very bland "Jays win this with defense blah blah blah" Now again - he certainly wasn't wrong at all - but the tone after those two goals was markedly different.
On a similar note, Quint literally did not say a single word from when there was 19 seconds left in the UVA game through the end of the broadcast. Someone here picked up on it at the time and I'm surprised it wasn't discussed more. When the clock hits zero there is 35 seconds of silence from the broadcast booth while the Jays are celebrating, then the play-by-play guy cuts back in to sign off. Still nothing from Q. I understand letting the moment speak for itself — sometimes less is more — but he quite literally does not speak a word. I've got to be honest I've never seen anything like that before. The last we hear from him is him criticizing Bauer for not shooting on the empty net out of the timeout. That was his final word on the Jays victory in Charlottesville.

Can watch it back here, I've tee'd it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dje7LYgdf1I&t=6325s
Maybe he was just taking the moment in.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Scott Smith for his recognition as B1G defensive player of the week.

Hopkins … right now, the best D in college lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

With all due respect, I've never understood what sometimes comes across as hostility on the board to a program great. I think there are two things to know about Quint and his coverage of Hopkins: (1) the guy wants a career as a broadcaster, not just a "lacrosse guy" -- so yes, he's probably bending over backwards to be seen as neutral; and (2) as an analyst, his style is to deliver pithy "home truths" -- he does it with every team -- it's part of what makes him entertaining to listen to for "casuals" and makes loyal fans more exercised.

As a loyal Yale fan, do I love when he says Yale's schedule is "tissue soft"? No. But it's fair that it's not as tough as Penn's or Princeton's or Cornell's or Hop's. Did I love in 2019 when he suggested that Yale's team was slow in the finals because they were essentially musclebound when all loyal Yale fans thought we got jobbed by having to play racetrack games against Penn and Penn State while UVA coasted through a quieter bracket? No I did not love that. But he wasn't wrong that UVA had a lot more gas in the tank that day (even if his musclebound explanation was kind of dumb.). On the other side, when I thought Yale in 2018 might top out as a QF NCAA team, Quint knew they'd be scary good and called it. I remember his remarks because they're memorable. And can anybody say he was wrong about the late-era Petro defenses not being all that effective? Or that he was pretty on the money on the misses in early recruiting?

This episode of the "Let Us Now Praise Famous Quints" podcast is officially over, thank you for listening.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:37 pm With all due respect, I've never understood what sometimes comes across as hostility on the board to a program great. I think there are two things to know about Quint and his coverage of Hopkins: (1) the guy wants a career as a broadcaster, not just a "lacrosse guy" -- so yes, he's probably bending over backwards to be seen as neutral; and (2) as an analyst, his style is to deliver pithy "home truths" -- he does it with every team -- it's part of what makes him entertaining to listen to for "casuals" and makes loyal fans more exercised.

As a loyal Yale fan, do I love when he says Yale's schedule is "tissue soft"? No. But it's fair that it's not as tough as Penn's or Princeton's or Cornell's or Hop's. Did I love in 2019 when he suggested that Yale's team was slow in the finals because they were essentially musclebound when all loyal Yale fans thought we got jobbed by having to play racetrack games against Penn and Penn State while UVA coasted through a quieter bracket? No I did not love that. But he wasn't wrong that UVA had a lot more gas in the tank that day (even if his musclebound explanation was kind of dumb.). On the other side, when I thought Yale in 2018 might top out as a QF NCAA team, Quint knew they'd be scary good and called it. I remember his remarks because they're memorable. And can anybody say he was wrong about the late-era Petro defenses not being all that effective? Or that he was pretty on the money on the misses in early recruiting?

This episode of the "Let Us Now Praise Famous Quints" podcast is officially over, thank you for listening.
Quint is not properly appreciated.

Let’s set aside his long success at ESPN.

Some folks don’t even seem to know that he is one of the greatest goalies OF ALL TIME.

Not just one of the best HOPKINS goalies of all time.

ONE OF THE GREATEST LACROSSE GOALIES IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT.

That is not a hard case to make.

Should be in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:43 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:37 pm With all due respect, I've never understood what sometimes comes across as hostility on the board to a program great. I think there are two things to know about Quint and his coverage of Hopkins: (1) the guy wants a career as a broadcaster, not just a "lacrosse guy" -- so yes, he's probably bending over backwards to be seen as neutral; and (2) as an analyst, his style is to deliver pithy "home truths" -- he does it with every team -- it's part of what makes him entertaining to listen to for "casuals" and makes loyal fans more exercised.

Some folks don’t even seem to know that he is one of the greatest goalies OF ALL TIME.

DocBarrister
Right on, Learned Colleague!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:43 pm

DocBarrister
Right on, Learned Colleague!
Hehe … 😉

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

by The Orfling » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:37 pm
all loyal Yale fans thought we got jobbed by having to play racetrack games against Penn and Penn State while UVA coasted through a quieter bracket
Those were two great teams, among the best to come out of PA based universities.
I would say, Penn State 2019 is number 1a.
I reserve a slot for the TSeaman team that came close to taking out Gary Gait.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Let's be clear about a few things:
- No one is saying he wasn't a great great player - virtually every Hopkins fan likely believes he should be in the HOF and we are all grateful for his contributions as a player
- No one is saying he doesn't know the game extremely well - usually when he says something it is accurate to some degree
- No one is saying he should lose his journalistic integrity by being a Hopkins homer
- His pithy little sayings are not an issue

But there is something in his attitude towards Hopkins which goes beyond - IMO (and others) speaking truth to power about the performance of the Hopkins lacrosse team. Here's the most concrete example and I wish I could produce it but it was a while ago (when Petro was coaching) and I believe the play by play announcer had suggested Q would be pleased by a positive Hopkins result. The terse reply and this is pretty verbatin "Just because you're an alumnus it does not make you a fan" Now if you believe this is just another way of him protecting his journalism license with pithyism fine - I submit there are a million ways to say the same thing and not appear like Ron Daniels took your parking space away.

And also let's face it - I can tune in to Fox News or CNN and see somebody lose their journalistic integrity in 5 seconds on important stuff. We have to worry about Quint Kessenich and a college lacrosse game? It's not the end of the world by any stretch - it's just an observation.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Q takes shots at everyone. He's kinda weird and quirky. He was a goalie...
Non-Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU homer amongst homers. Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU hater amongst haters. It's strange. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 am Q takes shots at everyone. He's kinda weird and quirky. He was a goalie...
Non-Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU homer amongst homers. Hopkins Q haters call him a supreme JHU hater amongst haters. It's strange. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle?
One of the best goalies I have ever seen play the position, (Mackesey in my opinion was the best but I'm a Cornell homer) .
His instincts and decision making were incredible.
That being said, when some of these former athletes get to be in front of the camera, strange things happen.

I have many athletes that I "disliked" as a fan and then they become a media personality and find out really that they are great guys, and my prime example as a Knicks fan is REGGIE MILLER. Hated him as a fan and now adore and respect him behind the Mike.

In Golf, I always liked Brandel Chamblee but as a media personality, I have grown to not like his shtick.

Hope this makes sense.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
random observer

Post by random observer »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:33 am Let's be clear about a few things:
- No one is saying he wasn't a great great player - virtually every Hopkins fan likely believes he should be in the HOF and we are all grateful for his contributions as a player
- No one is saying he doesn't know the game extremely well - usually when he says something it is accurate to some degree
- No one is saying he should lose his journalistic integrity by being a Hopkins homer
- His pithy little sayings are not an issue

But there is something in his attitude towards Hopkins which goes beyond - IMO (and others) speaking truth to power about the performance of the Hopkins lacrosse team. Here's the most concrete example and I wish I could produce it but it was a while ago (when Petro was coaching) and I believe the play by play announcer had suggested Q would be pleased by a positive Hopkins result. The terse reply and this is pretty verbatin "Just because you're an alumnus it does not make you a fan" Now if you believe this is just another way of him protecting his journalism license with pithyism fine - I submit there are a million ways to say the same thing and not appear like Ron Daniels took your parking space away.

And also let's face it - I can tune in to Fox News or CNN and see somebody lose their journalistic integrity in 5 seconds on important stuff. We have to worry about Quint Kessenich and a college lacrosse game? It's not the end of the world by any stretch - it's just an observation.
People are way too sensitive about Quint. He is not a homer, but he's far from a hater either; he just calls it like he sees it. Early in the Milliman era when everyone on this board had their pitchforks out, Quint was the first person to point out the encouraging shifts in the way the team played (long before it was leading to wins). Specifically, he gave them a lot of credit for playing hard and fighting back in a lot of games where they were down big early, and was fairly optimistic all things considered.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 pm
norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 am
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:42 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:39 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:39 am Enjoying the moment for now, but it is shocking how much is lost next year. The entire attack and 1st midfield along with almost all of the starting defense will be gone to graduation.
That’s … not true. Collison is only a sophomore. Melendez has another year of eligibility if he wants it. I think Bauer does too. I think Smith does too. I mean, they lose a lot but that’s part of the game. You build towards moments like this, and so far at least Hopkins is making the most of it, which is what they are supposed to do.
Powellfan is correct:
Degnon/Angelus/Peshko/Szuluk/Ierlan are the starters that HAVE to go. If you like Ayers and H. Chauvette to impersonate the departing attackmen - the biggest unknown hole aside from goalie is SSDM. Martin/Jaronski/Aviles HAVE To go. Intel suggests Ince will not use his final year of eligibility. Raposo and Arteaga have another year. Other important players that probably can't be snuck by the NCAA are Grimes/McDermott/Stoebner.

Everybody loses important players next year - particularly PSU & MD - Rutgers loses their two biggest guns - For Michigan Tiernan and Ronda I suppose could come back (Tiernan was hurt it appears in '22 @ Lehigh but they both be 6 years in. The Buckeyes may appear to lose the least.
Good call. Forgot about Collison - and meant to say most of the 1st midfield. Agreed that Chauvette will fill one of the gaps left.
That still might be wrong — I don't know his plans yet but Bauer should have another year if he wants it. That'd be 2/3 first line middies back.

Bauer, Smith, Melendez, Deans, Raposo, Evans, C. Chauvette, Arteaga — some of those guys will likely be back.

+ Collison, Ayers, H. Chauvette, English back from injury, Callahan, Kilrain — holes to fill for sure but lots of talent to play around with. ND, Duke, UVA, Cuse, PSU, etc. are all hit with some pretty heavy losses too. Next year could be real interesting but that's a discussion for the summer.

OSU this weekend.
Smith, Bauer and Evans are coming back for sure. Raposo began process recently but he actually played all 4 years so not a sure thing. Not sure on Russ but he definitely has a year if he wants it.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Three things:

1. I credit Quint for calling out the early recruiting binge that Pietramala and others were engaging. The craziness of chasing young teenagers for college sports is a problem and needs to be continually challenged. I think his commentary during games is very good, and I believe all color commentators have to have a view. Being Switzerland offers little to the viewer.

2. I want to credit Joey Esposito's ghost for excellent play.

3. I am wondering when the statue of Peter Millaman will be erected. A man that was nearly hung in these blogs has rescued the Hopkins program.

Go Quakers and Big Red!!!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 am Smith, Bauer and Evans are coming back for sure. Raposo began process recently but he actually played all 4 years so not a sure thing. Not sure on Russ but he definitely has a year if he wants it.
Great to hear. Hope Raposo gets his year — he'll be needed with the other losses at SSDM.

BTW, congrats to the women's team on a great season so far. They look more dangerous than they have in years.
random observer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:45 am People are way too sensitive about Quint. He is not a homer, but he's far from a hater either; he just calls it like he sees it. Early in the Milliman era when everyone on this board had their pitchforks out, Quint was the first person to point out the encouraging shifts in the way the team played (long before it was leading to wins). Specifically, he gave them a lot of credit for playing hard and fighting back in a lot of games where they were down big early, and was fairly optimistic all things considered.
He critiques everyone and most of it is fair. Like I said before I think he's by far the best lacrosse analyst on ESPN (Boyle is my personal favorite, but he barely does any games anymore). He's got a great eye and makes lots of insightful comments. His feel and understanding of teams' strengths and weaknesses is usually spot on. Which is why when he goes completely silent for minutes after a big win, it's jarring. Now he's got nothing to say, really? Having watched every Hopkins broadcast for the last many years, there does seem to be some sort of personal animus that seeps out on occasion. It's not all the time or in every game. But it's there. Even with that I'll take him over Carc 100 times out of 100.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Raposo played in 4 games in 2021 so it would appear a medical red-shirt is the option if it occurred (unless there are unknown extenuating circumstances) .
Hopkins played in 13 games in '21 so he appeared in 30% of the games
However, his last appearance was April 4 against Michigan which was exactly the 7th game of the season - the mid point of the season

So it is right up against the lines of the rules as I see them which are:

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must: Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending” Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season and not participate in more than 30% of the season's games. That is kind of eerie. If it had to occur BEFORE the halfway point then that looks like an issue. Also, does the fact that the last 3 games were tournament games figure into it at all? I.e. if Hopkins had lost to Penn State in the first round of the tournament he would have played in 37% of the games and clearly would have been past the midpoint of an 11 game season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”