All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm Leave it to TLD to subvert a discussion by asking a question of no relevance. :lol:
It's 100% relevant. Trump fans can't criticize Trump without melting. So what do they do? They pretend Fauci was in charge. It's transparently hilarious watching them pretend that Trump wasn't in charge of our pandemic response while in office.

Once Trump figured out the pandemic wasn't a joke, and stopped with the stupid stuff about media plots, bleach, etc? He did a fine job of getting us through.

Tech disagrees, obviously.
Ain’t falling for the spin Afan. We all knew Trump was grasping at straws trying to navigate this mess, while deferring to Birx and Fauxci....you know” the scientists”. Sure, hang your hat on the fact Trump has final say, but to argue he and damned near every state governor/mayor didn’t fall in line with Fauci and his associates is just silliness and being argumentative for the sake of arguing.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:12 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:54 pm
a fan wrote
They have no power over me. Zero.
Yes they do, they might not have a direct line to you but they do have a lot of power over you and all the rest of us.
You're assuming that it was: Fauci says, and Trump does. I don't believe that happened.

As for the part Tech is currently complaining about? Lockdowns? Governors all over the country ignored Fauci from soup to nuts.

So where is his power?
I'm not assuming that at all. I'm saying Fauci says and people do. He's had a lot of influence for a long time, including many in power. It trickles down to all of us.
ggait

Post by ggait »

tech37 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:17 pm
BTW, the GBD was about protecting the most vulnerable in our society (you know, sorta like Cuomo did with NYS nursing homes :roll: ) while keeping the economy and schools open, not "herd immunity" per se. It was about balance.
Not correct. Direct quotes from the GBD below.

It really was a LOT about herd immunity and letting Covid rip pre-vaccine. Was also strongly anti-lockdown, especially in schools. Thing is, it was published in October 2020. So the vaccines were pretty imminent and lockdowns were already going away. Would have been much more impactful if it had been published earlier in the pandemic.

Collins and Fauci thoroughly disagreed with the GBD and said so:

Letting the coronavirus rip through the U.S. population unchecked to achieve so-called herd immunity would cause a lot of unnecessary deaths and the idea is “nonsense,” Dr. Anthony Fauci said. Fauci was asked about the “Great Barrington Declaration,” an online movement that favors herd immunity and was mentioned by a senior White House official on a call with reporters. Letting the coronavirus rip through the U.S. population unchecked to infect as many people as possible to achieve so-called herd immunity would cause a lot of unnecessary deaths and the idea is “nonsense” and “dangerous,” the nation’s top infectious disease expert said Thursday.

Saying what they thought about the GBD is Collins' and Fauci's actual job, right? So I really don't see what your problem is here. Honest disagreement, publicly aired in the marketplace of ideas.

GBD:

As immunity builds in the population, the risk of infection to all – including the vulnerable – falls. We know that all populations will eventually reach herd immunity – i.e. the point at which the rate of new infections is stable – and that this can be assisted by (but is not dependent upon) a vaccine. Our goal should therefore be to minimize mortality and social harm until we reach herd immunity.

The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity, is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk. We call this Focused Protection.

Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals.

Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.

On October 4, 2020, this declaration was authored and signed in Great Barrington, United States, by:
Last edited by ggait on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm Leave it to TLD to subvert a discussion by asking a question of no relevance. :lol:
It's 100% relevant. Trump fans can't criticize Trump without melting. So what do they do? They pretend Fauci was in charge. It's transparently hilarious watching them pretend that Trump wasn't in charge of our pandemic response while in office.

Once Trump figured out the pandemic wasn't a joke, and stopped with the stupid stuff about media plots, bleach, etc? He did a fine job of getting us through.

Tech disagrees, obviously.
Ain’t falling for the spin Afan. We all knew Trump was grasping at straws trying to navigate this mess, while deferring to Birx and Fauxci....you know” the scientists”. Sure, hang your hat on the fact Trump has final say, but to argue he and damned near every state governor/mayor didn’t fall in line with Fauci and his associates is just silliness and being argumentative for the sake of arguing.
Bye Debbie: https://www.science.org/content/article ... rmined-cdc

“Birx's hospital data takeover fits a pattern in which she opposed CDC guidance, sometimes promoting President Donald Trump's policies or views against scientific consensus.”
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 pm
Anyone that works for you has “absolute power” over anything at your company?
Absolute....who said that, that you adding a qualifier again or did I miss something? We most certainly listen to those in the know, often following their lead; it’s what great companies and leaders do.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:09 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:21 pm
Anyone that works for you has “absolute power” over anything at your company?
Absolute....who said that, that you adding a qualifier again or did I miss something? We most certainly listen to those in the know, often following their lead; it’s what great companies and leaders do.
Do your homework. It’s basic.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 pm Take a break fellas, you need to stop being consumed by this stuff it's not good for your head.
A little lighter note, check out these folks who specialize in violence and get this stuck in your
head for awhile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlNxehADKQ
You want a lighter note? How about this:

Too funny.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm Ain’t falling for the spin Afan. We all knew Trump was grasping at straws trying to navigate this mess, while deferring to Birx and Fauxci....you know” the scientists”.
How much do you want to wager that Fauci wasn't the point man on key choices? Books will be written, so we'll know.

-who chose that the vaccines be distributed through the States?
-who chose that we wouldn't nationalize the rules surrounding lockdowns?
-who chose that we go after vaccines before post-illness treatments?

I could list choices that Fauci would be unlikely to have much say until the cows come home.
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm Sure, hang your hat on the fact Trump has final say, but to argue he and damned near every state governor/mayor didn’t fall in line with Fauci and his associates is just silliness and being argumentative for the sake of arguing.
What are you talking about? Every State had entirely different responses to the pandemic.

The mayor of Denver had different rules than cities right next door, FFS.

So no, I'm sorry, they didn't just do what Fauci told them. I have no idea how you don't know this.

You're telling me the Florida has had the same rules that California did? Really? Are you serious?
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:06 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:12 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:54 pm
a fan wrote
They have no power over me. Zero.
Yes they do, they might not have a direct line to you but they do have a lot of power over you and all the rest of us.
You're assuming that it was: Fauci says, and Trump does. I don't believe that happened.

As for the part Tech is currently complaining about? Lockdowns? Governors all over the country ignored Fauci from soup to nuts.

So where is his power?
I'm not assuming that at all. I'm saying Fauci says and people do. He's had a lot of influence for a long time, including many in power. It trickles down to all of us.
I don't know what else to say other than: I disagree. For heaven's sake, what percentage of Americans listened to Fauci about getting vaccinated? Let alone distancing. Or masks. Or large gatherings.

I'd wager dollars to donuts that the vast, vast majority of Americans who listened to Fauci were guys like Tech who listened to him simply because they wanted to find ammo for how Fauci "was doing it wrong". The rest? Paid zero attention to him.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm Ain’t falling for the spin Afan. We all knew Trump was grasping at straws trying to navigate this mess, while deferring to Birx and Fauxci....you know” the scientists”.
How much do you want to wager that Fauci wasn't the point man on key choices? Books will be written, so we'll know.

I could list choices that Fauci would be unlikely to have much say until the cows come home.
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm Sure, hang your hat on the fact Trump has final say, but to argue he and damned near every state governor/mayor didn’t fall in line with Fauci and his associates is just silliness and being argumentative for the sake of arguing.
What are you talking about? Every State had entirely different responses to the pandemic.

So no, I'm sorry, they didn't just do what Fauci told them. I have no idea how you don't know this.

You're telling me the Florida has had the same rules that California did? Really? Are you serious?
It’s actually sad. Here, NY/CT/NJ worked to develop a regional plan. Rhode Island operated differently.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:33 pm

Your arguing Fauci was not the leader of covid science....mmmm okay. We’ve officially entered the Afan spin zone. The elected officials with spines, weighted all options, most everyone else,,,, worshipped Fauxci.

Look no further that Chicago schools....why are they not listening to Biden about school safety, oh you know why....might have something to do with Fauci messaging.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:58 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:10 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 pm Take a break fellas, you need to stop being consumed by this stuff it's not good for your head.
A little lighter note, check out these folks who specialize in violence and get this stuck in your
head for awhile.e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlNxehADKQth
One of the few meritocracies around. “Blind auditions.”

Oh, and Master Sergeants? They are window dressing luke rhe fife and drum corps.
I don't quite understand what you mean here. You mean like this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=1501s

So you dispute the primary purpose of the military is application of violence? Do tell.
Oh, you can twist it to sound that way, Snake, but that doesn't mean it's not bullschidt. Politicians determine when it's time for "violence" the people in uniform aren't interested in violence, they've just sworn to do the dirty work when the nation needs someone to do it (and that would be less than one percent of the population). Ultimately they're there to protect our freedoms and way of life, if violence is needed to do that then we're all grateful that we have those folks. I spent a week in Cua Viet helping the Seebees build a school for the locals. No violence, just trying to help some folks out.
You posted a youtube video of a performance of military band. These are made up of highly skilled musicians generally graduates of Julliard, Peabody or similar institutions. They have the rank of Master Gunnery Sergeants. I’d be willing to bet they don’t ever fire artillery pieces; it is a rank that pays enough to attract and retain their services.
I'll have to take your word for the Julliard, Peabody and similar institutions part. Figure anyone enlisted in the music program cuz they played the trumpet in the HS marching band? There is no one here who has posted more about the majority of people in the military not being trained to fire weapons, including musicians. Master Gunnery Sergeant is a pay grade and the fife and drummers earn it just the like the infantryman. You're belittling the rank to nothing more than window dressing cuz the fife and drummer never did, or will, engage in violence.

However nice the musical performances may be, they are not core functions for the military.

The composition of the military is not (and never has been), truly “representational”. Today, due to lack of draft and mandatory service, there no longer exists any commonality of experience. Prior to my declining a full NROTC scholarship, every generation of my ancestors since their arrival performed military service. It didn’t make them exceptions or exemplars — it is what everyone did. They served and returned to their lives, unlike the hagiography of today.There's a lot of truth here, also a lot of bullschidt. They served and returned to their lives just as many do today. The hagiography of today? The Greatest Generation? People have always given a tip of the hat to those who have served. I got moved up twice to first class on flights with a stand by ticket because I was in uniform and that was a long time ago (American Airlines both times). I agree that it is unfair and immoral to expect a small minority to do the dirty work (see my earlier post of an article describing the subject of “dirty work”).

However, I take exception of your blithe assertion that the military’s primary purpose is to preserve my freedoms. What freedoms are those? Won't go down that rabbit hole with you.

Now, “my” way of life? What do you know about my way of life?

I would suggest that the primary purpose of the military is to preserve the rights and freedoms of corporations, which, notwithstanding the tortured logic of Scalia et al., are not citizens.
Wouldn't much disagree but that's just getting into the rabbit hole too.

If we returned to a broader shared military experience I feel better decisions regarding exercise of military violence like that of Iraq and Afghanistan would be better considered and more judicious.Have said essentially the same thing many times. When you're personally involved it's a much different ballgame.

Having said all of this I defy you to demonstrate that the extraordinary cost of the military is for any purpose than the application or threat of violence.
This is like saying the only reason you learn self defense is for no other purpose than application or threat of violence.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ggait wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 pm
BTW, the GBD was about protecting the most vulnerable in our society (you know, sorta like Cuomo did with NYS nursing homes :roll: ) while keeping the economy and schools open, not "herd immunity" per se. It was about balance.

It really was a LOT about herd immunity and letting Covid rip pre-vaccine. Was also strongly anti-lockdown, especially in schools. Thing is, it was published in October 2020. So the vaccines were pretty imminent and lockdowns were already going away. Would have been much more impactful if it had been published earlier in the pandemic.

Letting the coronavirus rip through the U.S. population unchecked to achieve so-called herd immunity would cause a lot of unnecessary deaths and the idea is “nonsense,” Dr. Anthony Fauci said. Fauci was asked about the “Great Barrington Declaration,” an online movement that favors herd immunity and was mentioned by a senior White House official on a call with reporters. Letting the coronavirus rip through the U.S. population unchecked to infect as many people as possible to achieve so-called herd immunity would cause a lot of unnecessary deaths and the idea is “nonsense” and “dangerous,” the nation’s top infectious disease expert said Thursday.

Saying what they thought about the GBD is Collins' and Fauci's actual job, right? So I really don't see what your problem is here. Honest disagreement, publicly aired in the marketplace of ideas.

GBD:

As immunity builds in the population, the risk of infection to all – including the vulnerable – falls. We know that all populations will eventually reach herd immunity – i.e. the point at which the rate of new infections is stable – and that this can be assisted by (but is not dependent upon) a vaccine. Our goal should therefore be to minimize mortality and social harm until we reach herd immunity.

The most compassionate approach that balances the risks and benefits of reaching herd immunity, is to allow those who are at minimal risk of death to live their lives normally to build up immunity to the virus through natural infection, while better protecting those who are at highest risk. We call this Focused Protection.

Adopting measures to protect the vulnerable should be the central aim of public health responses to COVID-19. By way of example, nursing homes should use staff with acquired immunity and perform frequent testing of other staff and all visitors. Staff rotation should be minimized. Retired people living at home should have groceries and other essentials delivered to their home. When possible, they should meet family members outside rather than inside. A comprehensive and detailed list of measures, including approaches to multi-generational households, can be implemented, and is well within the scope and capability of public health professionals.

Those who are not vulnerable should immediately be allowed to resume life as normal. Simple hygiene measures, such as hand washing and staying home when sick should be practiced by everyone to reduce the herd immunity threshold. Schools and universities should be open for in-person teaching. Extracurricular activities, such as sports, should be resumed. Young low-risk adults should work normally, rather than from home. Restaurants and other businesses should open. Arts, music, sport and other cultural activities should resume. People who are more at risk may participate if they wish, while society as a whole enjoys the protection conferred upon the vulnerable by those who have built up herd immunity.

On October 4, 2020, this declaration was authored and signed in Great Barrington, United States, by:
I'm not about to attempt trading posts with someone who makes their living by obfuscation and spinning the truth. I don't stand a chance.

But I will say that for you and a fan (lawyer wanna be) to take the word "publish" out of context to obfuscate to make your point, is a perfect example. It's quite obvious that Collins' email was a clarion call to find and/or create as much opposition to snuff out other thinking/ideas, in this case GBD. And that's exactly what happened. How scientific.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:57 am
ggait wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 pm

GBD:

I'm not about to attempt trading posts with someone who makes their living by obfuscation and spinning the truth. I don't stand a chance.

But I will say that for you and a fan (lawyer wanna be) to take the word "publish" out of context to obfuscate to make your point, is a perfect example. It's quite obvious that Collins' email was a clarion call to find and/or create as much opposition to snuff out other thinking/ideas, in this case GBD. And that's exactly what happened. How scientific.
You left the word “publish” out. Not sure that was taken out of context.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

UK Dr.....interesting discussion yesterday and dialogue from Australia, also check out his final slide and comment at the 25:45 mark:

~Livy
smoova

Post by smoova »

There's an interesting confluence about to occur between the Omicron case spike and the OSHA ETS that takes effect on Feb 9 (requiring all companies with >100 employees to implement a vax-or-test policy). In industries like gasoline refining/transport/storage, where roughly 50% of the workers are unvaxxed, many employees have continued to work even when mildly ill. However, when those employees are forced to test weekly and quarantine for 10 days after a positive test, facilities will shut down and filling stations may run out of product. It's already beginning to happen without the testing mandate. It will be fascinating to see whether the economic pinch is sufficient to cause further modification to testing/quarantine rules.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

smoova wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:18 am There's an interesting confluence about to occur between the Omicron case spike and the OSHA ETS that takes effect on Feb 9 (requiring all companies with >100 employees to implement a vax-or-test policy). In industries like gasoline refining/transport/storage, where roughly 50% of the workers are unvaxxed, many employees have continued to work even when mildly ill. However, when those employees are forced to test weekly and quarantine for 10 days after a positive test, facilities will shut down and filling stations may run out of product. It's already beginning to happen without the testing mandate. It will be fascinating to see whether the economic pinch is sufficient to cause further modification to testing/quarantine rules.
Your assumption is that COVID is/will be rampant in the ranks and employees will test positive in a big wave?
As opposed to Covid already swept through their ranks?

Indeed, could well be disruptive.

BTW, I think the quarantining rule has been changed already, but could be mistaken.
ggait

Post by ggait »

It's quite obvious that Collins' email was a clarion call to find and/or create as much opposition to snuff out other thinking/ideas, in this case GBD. And that's exactly what happened. How scientific.
Tech -- I'm really struggling to see what your issue is.

The GBD folks' ideas were not suppressed. It got tons of publicity when it issued, especially on the right. It was primarily about pursuing a herd immunity strategy. That was something that most experts, including Collins and Fauci, strongly strongly disagreed with. And they said so publicly in response to the release of the GBD. Which is their job.

And so your problem is what exactly?

The GBD folks floated their ideas. The scientific community as a whole (not just Fauci and Collins) worldwide criticized it heavily. See link below.

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, advocating for a herd immunity strategy just when vaccines are coming available seems like a poor idea. So does advocating for herd immunity/let it rip in October 2020. Which was right before the ramp to the Jan 2021 peak was starting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Bar ... eclaration
Last edited by ggait on Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:36 am
It's quite obvious that Collins' email was a clarion call to find and/or create as much opposition to snuff out other thinking/ideas, in this case GBD. And that's exactly what happened. How scientific.
Tech -- I'm really struggling to see what your issue is.

The GBD folks' ideas were not suppressed. It got tons of publicity when it issued, especially on the right. It was primarily about pursuing a herd immunity strategy. That was something that most experts, including Collins and Fauci, strongly strongly disagreed with. And they said so publicly in response to the release of the GBD. Which is their job.

And so your problem is what exactly?

The GBD folks floated their ideas. The scientific community as a whole (not just Fauci and Collins) worldwide criticized it heavily. See link below.

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, advocating for a herd immunity strategy just when vaccines are coming available seems like a poor idea. So does advocating for herd immunity/let it rip in October 2020. Which was right before the ramp to the Jan 2021 peak was starting.
His problem is simple, he didn't like it that "The scientific community as a whole (not just Fauci and Collins) worldwide criticized it heavily."

He wants even the whackiest of whack jobs not only to have a voice, but for everyone else, especially experts in positions of authority, to shut up.
ggait

Post by ggait »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:32 am
smoova wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:18 am There's an interesting confluence about to occur between the Omicron case spike and the OSHA ETS that takes effect on Feb 9 (requiring all companies with >100 employees to implement a vax-or-test policy). In industries like gasoline refining/transport/storage, where roughly 50% of the workers are unvaxxed, many employees have continued to work even when mildly ill. However, when those employees are forced to test weekly and quarantine for 10 days after a positive test, facilities will shut down and filling stations may run out of product. It's already beginning to happen without the testing mandate. It will be fascinating to see whether the economic pinch is sufficient to cause further modification to testing/quarantine rules.
Your assumption is that COVID is/will be rampant in the ranks and employees will test positive in a big wave?
As opposed to Covid already swept through their ranks?

Indeed, could well be disruptive.

BTW, I think the quarantining rule has been changed already, but could be mistaken.
With Omicron, the really disruptive thing is testing vaxed asymptomatic personnel. That's where you'll find tons of positives. The pro sports leagues, which are largely vaxed, are moving towards not testing the vaxed in order to keep enough personnel available to play games.

Also seems that we are moving beyond testing to a large extent with the pervasive Omicron. The new standard is stay home for five days if you get symptoms (vaxed or not).

Return to “POLITICS”