All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:17 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:50 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:16 pm https://twitter.com/DrJBhattacharya/sta ... 30/photo/1

So everyone is A-Ok with the Collins' email? I love the use of "fringe" which includes a Nobel Prize winner.
110% fine with it.

Collins wasn’t calling for the GBD (basically herd immunity strategy) to be suppressed. It got lots of publicity when released in nov 2020.

Collins was calling for it to be responded to — you know free marketplace of ideas and all that. And folks decided the widely touted gbd wasn’t worth pursuing.

FYI, the Stanford Nobel laureate is not an md or an immunologist. Has no experience with infectious diseases. But the main gbd guys do. But folks were not convinced by their arguments.

Also, I’d note that the gbd was basically an anti lock down message pre vaccines. We were pretty much done with lock downs by the time it came out. Especially since the vaccines were right on the cusp of availability.
Wasn't calling to be suppressed? "There needs to be a quick and devastating published takedown of its premises" :lol:
Ya left a word out of your "quote", my man. I put it back in. I'm sure leaving it out was just an accident.

Publicly refuting another scientists idea IN WRITING (published) is the literal opposite of suppression.

You misread the email, Tech. So did your internet colleagues. Admit it, and move on. It happens to all of us.

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:17 pm BTW, the GBD was about protecting the most vulnerable in our society (you know, sorta like Cuomo did with NYS nursing homes :roll: ) while keeping the economy and schools open, not "herd immunity" per se. It was about balance.
Yes. A different path. Collins and Fauci obviously disagreed with that path.

You don't seem to get that you can throw stones at any choice or any path we'd take, Tech. GBD could have been a fine path, yep....that's entirely true. Or, it could have been a disaster. But, right or wrong, you have to pick a path
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:33 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:16 pm https://twitter.com/DrJBhattacharya/sta ... 30/photo/1

So everyone is A-Ok with the Collins' email? I love the use of "fringe" which includes a Nobel Prize winner.
110% fine with it.

Collins wasn’t calling for the GBD (basically herd immunity strategy) to be suppressed. It got lots of publicity when released in nov 2020.

Collins was calling for it to be responded to — you know free marketplace of ideas and all that. And folks decided the widely touted gbd wasn’t worth pursuing.

FYI, the Stanford Nobel laureate is not an md or an immunologist. Has no experience with infectious diseases. But the main gbd guys do. But folks were not convinced by their arguments.

Also, I’d note that the gbd was basically an anti lock down message pre vaccines. We were pretty much done with lock downs by the time it came out. Especially since the vaccines were right on the cusp of availability.
Wasn't calling to be suppressed? "There needs to be a quick and devastating published takedown of its premises" :lol:
Ya left a word out of your "quote", my man. I put it back in. I'm sure leaving it out was just an accident.

Publicly refuting another scientists idea IN WRITING (published) is the literal opposite of suppression.

You misread the email, Tech. So did your internet colleagues. Admit it, and move on. It happens to all of us.

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:17 pm BTW, the GBD was about protecting the most vulnerable in our society (you know, sorta like Cuomo did with NYS nursing homes :roll: ) while keeping the economy and schools open, not "herd immunity" per se. It was about balance.

You don't seem to get that you can throw stones at any choice or any path we'd take, Tech. GBD could have been a fine path, yep....that's entirely true. Or, it could have been a disaster. But, right or wrong, you have to pick a path
Fat fingers is how he left it out.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Take a break fellas, you need to stop being consumed by this stuff it's not good for your head.
A little lighter note, check out these folks who specialize in violence and get this stuck in your
head for awhile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlNxehADKQ
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 pm Take a break fellas, you need to stop being consumed by this stuff it's not good for your head.
A little lighter note, check out these folks who specialize in violence and get this stuck in your
head for awhile.e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlNxehADKQth
One of the few meritocracies around. “Blind auditions.”

Oh, and Master Sergeants? They are window dressing luke rhe fife and drum corps.

So you dispute the primary purpose of the military is application of violence? Do tell.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
tech37

Post by tech37 »

110% fine with it.

More background for anyone interested. DMac, you're excused...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... downs.html

Bhattacharya tweeted in response to the emails: "So now I know what it feels like to be the subject of a propaganda attack by my own government. Discussion and engagement would have been a better path."

There's your path a fan. Published? Yeah sure.

If you're pleased with how autocrats like Collins and Fauci have handled things, good for you.
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:20 pm

110% fine with it.

Bhattacharya tweeted in response to the emails: "So now I know what it feels like to be the subject of a propaganda attack by my own government. Discussion and engagement would have been a better path."

There's your path a fan. Published? Yeah sure.

If you're pleased with how autocrats like Collins and Fauci have handled things, good for you.
Fauci has “absolute power”….doesn’t he answer to someone?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Leave it to TLD to subvert a discussion by asking a question of no relevance. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:10 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:49 pm Take a break fellas, you need to stop being consumed by this stuff it's not good for your head.
head for awhile.e

Oh, and Master Sergeants? They are window dressing luke rhe fife and drum corps.
I don't quite understand what you mean here. You mean like this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=1501s

So you dispute the primary purpose of the military is application of violence? Do tell.
Oh, you can twist it to sound that way, Snake, but that doesn't mean it's not bullschidt. Politicians determine when it's time for "violence" the people in uniform aren't interested in violence, they've just sworn to do the dirty work when the nation needs someone to do it (and that would be less than one percent of the population). Ultimately they're there to protect our freedoms and way of life, if violence is needed to do that then we're all grateful that we have those folks. I spent a week in Cua Viet helping the Seebees build a school for the locals. No violence, just trying to help some folks out.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm Leave it to TLD to subvert a discussion by asking a question of no relevance. :lol:
It's 100% relevant. Trump fans can't criticize Trump without melting. So what do they do? They pretend Fauci was in charge. It's transparently hilarious watching them pretend that Trump wasn't in charge of our pandemic response while in office.

Once Trump figured out the pandemic wasn't a joke, and stopped with the stupid stuff about media plots, bleach, etc? He did a fine job of getting us through.

Tech disagrees, obviously.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:20 pm

Discussion and engagement with whom? Every scientist in the world? Fauci and Trump assembled their team, and went to work. He can't stop and keep adding new people every week that "some scientist" somewhere in the world has a different idea as to what to do.

What you and this egomaniac are saying is: they should have done things MY way. That's it. That's all he's saying.

And from that, you and your esteemed internet colleagues claim suppression and conspiracy.

And to top if off---and this is the best part-------Fauci has no power in terms of lockdowns. The decision is ENTIRELY up to each of the 50 governors.
tech37 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:20 pm If you're pleased with how autocrats like Collins and Fauci have handled things, good for you.
They have no power over me. Zero.

Know who's in charge of me and my family in terms of lockdowns? Jared Polis. That's it. He can follow CDC guidance in whole, in part, or not at all.

But sure. Conspiracy.
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote
Yes they do, they might not have a direct line to you but they do have a lot of power over you and all the rest of us.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:54 pm
a fan wrote
Yes they do, they might not have a direct line to you but they do have a lot of power over you and all the rest of us.
Influence, yes. Due to earned credibility.

Very little power.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:10 pm
head for awhile.e

I don't quite understand what you mean here. You mean like this guy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=1501s

Oh, you can twist it to sound that way, Snake, but that doesn't mean it's not bullschidt. Politicians determine when it's time for "violence" the people in uniform aren't interested in violence, they've just sworn to do the dirty work when the nation needs someone to do it (and that would be less than one percent of the population). Ultimately they're there to protect our freedoms and way of life, if violence is needed to do that then we're all grateful that we have those folks. I spent a week in Cua Viet helping the Seebees build a school for the locals. No violence, just trying to help some folks out.
You posted a youtube video of a performance of military band. These are made up of highly skilled musicians generally graduates of Julliard, Peabody or similar institutions. They have the rank of Master Gunnery Sergeants. I’d be willing to bet they don’t ever fire artillery pieces; it is a rank that pays enough to attract and retain their services.

However nice the musical performances may be, they are not core functions for the military.

The composition of the military is not (and never has been), truly “representational”. Today, due to lack of draft and mandatory service, there no longer exists any commonality of experience. Prior to my declining a full NROTC scholarship, every generation of my ancestors since their arrival performed military service. It didn’t make them exceptions or exemplars — it is what everyone did. They served and returned to their lives, unlike the hagiography of today. I agree that it is unfair and immoral to expect a small minority to do the dirty work (see my earlier post of an article describing the subject of “dirty work”).

However, I take exception of your blithe assertion that the military’s primary purpose is to preserve my freedoms. What freedoms are those?

Now, “my” way of life? What do you know about my way of life?

I would suggest that the primary purpose of the military is to preserve the rights and freedoms of corporations, which, notwithstanding the tortured logic of Scalia et al., are not citizens.

If we returned to a broader shared military experience I feel better decisions regarding exercise of military violence like that of Iraq and Afghanistan would be better considered and more judicious.

Having said all of this I defy you to demonstrate that the extraordinary cost of the military is for any purpose than the application or threat of violence.
Last edited by PizzaSnake on Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Duplicate.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Fascinating discussion re military, but probably best on another thread?

I go off topic all the time too... ;)
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:54 pm
a fan wrote
You're assuming that it was: Fauci says, and Trump does. I don't believe that happened.

As for the part Tech is currently complaining about? Lockdowns? Governors all over the country ignored Fauci from soup to nuts.

So where is his power?
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm Leave it to TLD to subvert a discussion by asking a question of no relevance. :lol:
It's 100% relevant. Trump fans can't criticize Trump without melting. So what do they do? They pretend Fauci was in charge. It's transparently hilarious watching them pretend that Trump wasn't in charge of our pandemic response while in office.

Once Trump figured out the pandemic wasn't a joke, and stopped with the stupid stuff about media plots, bleach, etc? He did a fine job of getting us through.

Tech disagrees, obviously.
It’s not YA’s fault. Be patient with him.
old salt

Post by old salt »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:58 pm Having said all of this I defy you to demonstrate that the extraordinary cost of the military is for any purpose than the application or threat of violence.
threat of violence = deterrence, like our soldiers now in S Korea or along NATO's E flank, or our sailors & marines in the S China Sea & Arabian Sea.
Typical Lax Dad

head for awhile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlNxehADKQ
You want a lighter note? How about this:

Typical Lax Dad

Anyone that works for you has “absolute power” over anything at your company?

Return to “POLITICS”