All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

ggait

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by ggait »

Just curious if anyone here, or in your family has had similar symptoms and received results of a test?
Daughter and SIL went to a couple of Christmas parties on Friday 12/17. Whole family was around them on Saturday. SIL (vaxed but unboosted) got mild symptons Sunday. Felt fine by Tuesday morning. Tested positive Monday and continued to test positive through Friday (when he gave up doing tests). Docs told him he could still be PCR positive for weeks.

Even finagled a monoclonal treatment in an effort to generate a negative test so he could travel to see his family. They canceled that trip and spent Christmas with us. None of us (all boosted) got sick.

All of that was pretty consistent with the guidance. Much less likely to get Omicron if you are boosted; not so much if just double vaxed. And the high infectious time is from exposure thru symptom onset (two days) and then the next three days. By the time of our Christmas gathering, should have been all good (48+ hours past symptoms).

Bottom line is that the tests are really just designed/approved to tell you if you have checked into the Hotel Covid-fornia (infected, potentially infectious, need to isolate). They don't really work to tell you when it is time to check out. And we don't have a billion rapid tests stockpiled and available.

So that's why the 5 day guidance doesn't require an exit test
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am all I have had is just a major congestion feeling but can breath just fine, no sore throat, and only had a headache for about 24 hours (more like a common cold).

Just curious if anyone here, or in your family has had similar symptoms and received results of a test?
Me too. Same symptoms as you with some stiffness & fatigue.
Fine next day. Did not waste 1 of 2 home tests we have for emergency.
We're fully vaxxed & over-boosted (Moderna 100mg boost in Sept).

...might be rabies from the dog park.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:03 pm Guy won’t let unvaccinated dogs mix….humans are held to a lower standard.
Most humans won't bite each other, although you may be the exception.
People just need to talk to one another to spread it….you might bite deez.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:03 pm Guy won’t let unvaccinated dogs mix….humans are held to a lower standard.
:lol:
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:56 pm
:lol:
Stop bitin’…
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:06 pm https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/29/omicron ... ntist.html

Some good news about omicron ...
Yep.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Cable news is warning omicron is overwhelming hospitals.
What % of omicron hosp admissions are unvaxxed vs breakthrough of vaxxed ?
If milder omicron is picking off the unvaxxed before D gets 'em, is good, no ?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:24 am
I disagree with your almost immediate dismissal of Paxlovid before it has even been put to work and data can be reviewed. Your pessimistic POV may end up being correct but I certainly hope not. [/color][/b]
I'm not dismissing ANY drug. I'm with you----I hope they're wonderful, and have said so in the past. I have NO interest in any more of my fellow Americans dying.

But what I'm trying to tell you East Coast lot that things are different out this way. So when Old Salt links John Madden quotes as if I'm not working with these people on a daily basis--------truck drivers, orchardists, farmers, etc.------it tells me that he's forgotten where I live, and what I do for a living.

I"m now up to five dead. Five rural colleagues and/or friends.....dead from stubbornness. They didn't die from Covid, IMHO. They died from a mixture of social media and stubbornness. That's why I brought up Reagan, btw-----every one of these wonderful, hardcore, salt of the Earth conservatives are the people who run blood drives in their rural towns. Baked goods for HS trips. And 20+ years ago? They would have been out there, running a vaccine drive for their community.

Would've been six dead if my brother's best friend from HS didn't make it out of ICU around Thanksgiving. Staunch anti-vaxxer. Whole family is unvaxxed----five kids, all of them dependent on dad to put food on the table. Did he consider them when making his silly choices? F no. And, of course, he took the full range of treatments/advice the doctor had on hand when he arrived near-dead. Could he tell you what was in the drugs and treatments he received? Did he "do his research" on this care he received? F no. Hypocrisy that nearly killed him.

So yep------I'm angry, frustrated, tired, and freaking sad. And yep, it may come across as condescension....but when someone acts like a child, instead of the rational adult that you've known for years? You owe it to them to tell them they're not making any sense, and are acting like irresponsible children.
a fan, I'm sorry to hear this pandemic has become personal for you. That does add perspective.

If I may, I'd like to add some personal perspective but from a more selfish angle (as in, looking out for #1). A while ago, you and I went back and forth re my doctor visit in Oct. I was trying to get an idea of what advice/decisions I could expect from him should I come down with Covid. When I asked about monoclonals, he said I would qualify based on age but based on my physical results (no brag, just fact :D ), I probably wouldn't be sick enough to qualify. I guess he thought he was making me feel better :? Seriously though, where would that leave me? I want treatment options to go home and wait this sh!t out with. Paxlovid is something I would hope to have as an option. Sans Pax, I would take Ivermectin and/or Fluvoxamine, based upon the years they've been utilized (I fully realize it would be off-label) and their safety records. Re the Merck pill, I would not feel very confident based on what I've read/heard.

I would love to see those options and more available for everyone, but as you know, charity begins at home.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:53 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am Curious....anyone here had covid recently.

I think my wife is on the tail end of it, can not find any testing places near by and all at home tests are sold out, no way we are waiting in 3 plus hours lines. She had fever for about 36 hours, chills/sweats one time for about an hour, no sore throat, and headache for about 3 days. Seems to have passed it on to me, all I have had is just a major congestion feeling but can breath just fine, no sore throat, and only had a headache for about 24 hours (more like a common cold).

son was under the weather for a day or 2 during finals, also headache for small stretches, congestion and sore throat, runny nose. so he tested before he headed home and was negative.
wife picked up same symptoms 2-3 days later. after a circus to get a test, came back negative for the vid, the flu and whatever else they tested for. each took about 5-6 or so days to clear.

covid's not the only thing going around, though it's around everywhere, don't think you can assume without confirmation.
... pediatrician wife says there is a LOT of non-COVID illness going around in kids at the moment. It all looks like Omicron symptoms.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... couple of interesting notes:

1) yesterday read a report that an unvaxed individual has tested positive for both omicron and delta at the same time.
2) researchers in the Netherlands and South Africa are reporting that although vaccine antibody activity against omicron is reduced significantly, T-cell activity is observed to be strong, hence explaining why vaccinated individuals don't seem to get seriously ill.
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:26 pm Cable news is warning omicron is overwhelming hospitals.
What % of omicron hosp admissions are unvaxxed vs breakthrough of vaxxed ?
If milder omicron is picking off the unvaxxed before D gets 'em, is good, no ?
Not a direct answer as a lot of the data seems to be fluid so early into the omicron wave but from today's WaPo (Jennifer Rubin oped column):
As Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention noted: “If you are unvaccinated, you are 10 times more likely to be a case and 20 times more likely to be a fatality; compared to people who are [vaccinated], you are 17 times more likely to be in the hospital.”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:58 pm ... couple of interesting notes:

1) yesterday read a report that an unvaxed individual has tested positive for both omicron and delta at the same time.
2) researchers in the Netherlands and South Africa are reporting that although vaccine antibody activity against omicron is reduced significantly, T-cell activity is observed to be strong, hence explaining why vaccinated individuals don't seem to get seriously ill.
From stuff I've heard/read, T-cell immunity is the Holy Grail.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:31 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:24 am
I disagree with your almost immediate dismissal of Paxlovid before it has even been put to work and data can be reviewed. Your pessimistic POV may end up being correct but I certainly hope not. [/color][/b]
I'm not dismissing ANY drug. I'm with you----I hope they're wonderful, and have said so in the past. I have NO interest in any more of my fellow Americans dying.

But what I'm trying to tell you East Coast lot that things are different out this way. So when Old Salt links John Madden quotes as if I'm not working with these people on a daily basis--------truck drivers, orchardists, farmers, etc.------it tells me that he's forgotten where I live, and what I do for a living.

I"m now up to five dead. Five rural colleagues and/or friends.....dead from stubbornness. They didn't die from Covid, IMHO. They died from a mixture of social media and stubbornness. That's why I brought up Reagan, btw-----every one of these wonderful, hardcore, salt of the Earth conservatives are the people who run blood drives in their rural towns. Baked goods for HS trips. And 20+ years ago? They would have been out there, running a vaccine drive for their community.

Would've been six dead if my brother's best friend from HS didn't make it out of ICU around Thanksgiving. Staunch anti-vaxxer. Whole family is unvaxxed----five kids, all of them dependent on dad to put food on the table. Did he consider them when making his silly choices? F no. And, of course, he took the full range of treatments/advice the doctor had on hand when he arrived near-dead. Could he tell you what was in the drugs and treatments he received? Did he "do his research" on this care he received? F no. Hypocrisy that nearly killed him.

So yep------I'm angry, frustrated, tired, and freaking sad. And yep, it may come across as condescension....but when someone acts like a child, instead of the rational adult that you've known for years? You owe it to them to tell them they're not making any sense, and are acting like irresponsible children.
a fan, I'm sorry to hear this pandemic has become personal for you. That does add perspective.
And I'm sorry if this stuff gets me grumpy to others here....don't have too many outlets. I know everyone here has followed their Doc's orders when it comes to vaccines. I have no quarrel with anyone here.
tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:31 pm If I may, I'd like to add some personal perspective but from a more selfish angle (as in, looking out for #1). A while ago, you and I went back and forth re my doctor visit in Oct. I was trying to get an idea of what advice/decisions I could expect from him should I come down with Covid. When I asked about monoclonals, he said I would qualify based on age but based on my physical results (no brag, just fact :D ), I probably wouldn't be sick enough to qualify. I guess he thought he was making me feel better :? Seriously though, where would that leave me? I want treatment options to go home and wait this sh!t out with. Paxlovid is something I would hope to have as an option. Sans Pax, I would take Ivermectin and/or Fluvoxamine, based upon the years they've been utilized (I fully realize it would be off-label) and their safety records. Re the Merck pill, I would not feel very confident based on what I've read/heard.

I would love to see those options and more available for everyone, but as you know, charity begins at home.
Yes. I and I agree that these avenues need to be explored. I just wish that the availability of these treatments weren't leading to some folks choosing to not get vaccinated.....
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Gov DeSantis, "If I ignore it, it didn't happen."

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — For the fourth time in seven days, the state of Florida has broken its daily COVID-19 new case record.

Numbers reported by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show a daily caseload of 58,013 on Dec. 29. The previous record, reported as 46,923 on Dec. 28 was also upgraded, now recorded as 52,995. The data put out by the CDC shows Florida has confirmed nearly 4.1 million cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic in 2020.

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/c ... in-7-days/
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:20 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:58 pm ... couple of interesting notes:

From stuff I've heard/read, T-cell immunity is the Holy Grail.
... the T-cells are the killers of infected cells.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ggait wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:42 pm
Daughter and SIL went to a couple of Christmas parties on Friday 12/17. Whole family was around them on Saturday. SIL (vaxed but unboosted) got mild symptons Sunday. Felt fine by Tuesday morning. Tested positive Monday and continued to test positive through Friday (when he gave up doing tests). Docs told him he could still be PCR positive for weeks.

Even finagled a monoclonal treatment in an effort to generate a negative test so he could travel to see his family. They canceled that trip and spent Christmas with us. None of us (all boosted) got sick.

All of that was pretty consistent with the guidance. Much less likely to get Omicron if you are boosted; not so much if just double vaxed. And the high infectious time is from exposure thru symptom onset (two days) and then the next three days. By the time of our Christmas gathering, should have been all good (48+ hours past symptoms).

Bottom line is that the tests are really just designed/approved to tell you if you have checked into the Hotel Covid-fornia (infected, potentially infectious, need to isolate). They don't really work to tell you when it is time to check out. And we don't have a billion rapid tests stockpiled and available.

So that's why the 5 day guidance doesn't require an exit test
It's as if asymptomatic individuals can not spread the virus :roll: Not testing at the end of 5 days is shortsighted.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

guys, all the action is over on the princeton lacrosse forum.

make haste.
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:08 pm guys, all the action is over on the princeton lacrosse forum.

make haste.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “POLITICS”