JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 am Despite numerous escalatory actions by Iran against US & allied interests in the ME,
the US has taken no actions directed toward Iranian territory that could be interpreted as threatening.

We have forces in the area, but they've been deployed in a defensive manner.

Our offensive operations have been to counter ISIS in Iraq & Syria, & just recently,
to protect US forces in Iraq & Syria from attacks by Iranian proxy Iraqi PMF Shia militias.

Given the threats, the US has acted with restraint.
If the Iranians have an itchy trigger figure, it's because of their irresponsible belligerent actions.
Remember when I said that you and tech are placing MORE faith that the Mullahs will act responsibility than those who championed the JCPOA?

This is what I meant. You have to have faith that they will act responsibly here, in order for Trump's actions to work correctly.

I don't have this faith. Case in point: if this plane was shot down? There you go.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:52 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:15 am Despite numerous escalatory actions by Iran against US & allied interests in the ME,
the US has taken no actions directed toward Iranian territory that could be interpreted as threatening.

We have forces in the area, but they've been deployed in a defensive manner.

Our offensive operations have been to counter ISIS in Iraq & Syria, & just recently,
to protect US forces in Iraq & Syria from attacks by Iranian proxy Iraqi PMF Shia militias.

Given the threats, the US has acted with restraint.
If the Iranians have an itchy trigger figure, it's because of their irresponsible belligerent actions.
Remember when I said that you and tech are placing MORE faith that the Mullahs will act responsibility than those who championed the JCPOA?

This is what I meant. You have to have faith that they will act responsibly here, in order for Trump's actions to work correctly.

I don't have this faith. Case in point: if this plane was shot down? There you go.
I don't think the Mullahs intended to shoot down the airliner.
Nor do I think they aimed to miss our troops, to avoid killing any more.
They couldn't defeat our early warning & passive defense capability.
They're proving that they're not competent to possess or employ big boy weapons, especially nukes.
Rather than bribing them to delay their nuc capability by a matter of months,
while they cheat & create havoc throughout the ME,
deal with it now, from a position of maximum relative strength,
before they get closer to having them.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:34 am Russian foreign military sales air defense systems are not performing well.
Thank Obama and his sanctions. ;)

It is impossible to keep up with US R&D when you have the same GDP that Italy does.

Money matters when it comes to big ticket items. Making trouble in the ME, on the other hand, can be done on a grocery store clerk's salary.
The problem is not with the Russian equipment.
It appears to have worked as advertised (better than Iran's home made IRBMs).
The defect is in the button pusher.
a fan

Post by a fan »

That's a valid position. I just don't agree with your position. It requires MORE faith in the Mullahs.

I have faith in the Iranian people. And I think if you trade with them, and give them money, their power will increase. And the Mullah's control will wane.

Agree to disagree. Oh, and we delayed their nuke by five years, not a matter of months. Give credit where credit is due.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:40 am The problem is not with the Russian equipment.
A. you don't know what the flaw was, as we don't have all the info., and likely never will.

B. I was just giving you the business over Obama's sanctions the way that you (and others) were insisting that these rockets were paid for by Obama's Iranian asset release. Hence the winky....
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:43 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:40 am The problem is not with the Russian equipment.
A. you don't know what the flaw was, as we don't have all the info., and likely never will.

B. I was just giving you the business over Obama's sanctions the way that you (and others) were insisting that these rockets were paid for by Obama's Iranian asset release. Hence the winky....
We know the SA-15 successfully downed the B737 in Iran.
Just as we know the BUK downed MH-107 in Ukraine.
The equipment worked (against non-maneuvering large non-stealthy aircraft without countermeasures, flying at high altitude).
The defect is in the operators.

How not to operate a SAM battery :
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020 ... ef=d-river
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

tRUMP's warmongering leading to Armageddon ....
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:58 am

The equipment worked (against non-maneuvering large non-stealthy aircraft without countermeasures, flying at high altitude).

yes. mechanical defect. the nuts behind the wheel were loose.
old salt

Post by old salt »

DD-Tech wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:15 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:58 am

yes. mechanical defect. the nuts behind the wheel were loose.
The ballistic missiles Iran launched :
https://www.defenseone.com/business/202 ... ht/162326/

BDA = 1 helo (HH-60 PAVE Hawk - for combat search & rescue), 9 tents, some tools.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... nine-tents

Unidentified airstrike on mixed Syrian/Iraqi (Iranian proxy) militia, just over Syrian border from Iraq :
https://news.yahoo.com/reports-unidenti ... 08972.html
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm Obama killed countless innocent people in unannounced drone strikes of significant targets.
I like how the right is bringing that up now.....back then, FoxNation was telling viewers that Obama was weak, and doing nothing about terrorism.

Guess not, right? ;)
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm Obama’s DHS Sec. Jeh Johnson said Trump had every right to do this unannounced
Who disputes that, outside of the far left, who also called Obama a war criminal? No one.
Apparently 224 House members dispute the fact that Trump had this authority, otherwise why did they just hold that vote in the House. As Molly Hatchet sang.....they are flirting with disaster when time is of the essence. Is their goal to wait for catastrophe, and then react?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm Obama killed countless innocent people in unannounced drone strikes of significant targets.
I like how the right is bringing that up now.....back then, FoxNation was telling viewers that Obama was weak, and doing nothing about terrorism.

Guess not, right? ;)
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm Obama’s DHS Sec. Jeh Johnson said Trump had every right to do this unannounced
Who disputes that, outside of the far left, who also called Obama a war criminal? No one.
Apparently 224 House members dispute the fact that Trump had this authority, otherwise why did they just hold that vote in the House. As Molly Hatchet sang.....they are flirting with disaster when time is of the essence. Is their goal to wait for catastrophe, and then react?
Their goal is to express some Congressional authority over this narrow but important aspect of foreign policy: the decision to use mortal force overseas. The War Powers Act has, since its passage in 1973, been a bone of contention. It was a response to the so-called Imperial Presidency. Nixon tried to veto it, and every President since -- D or R -- has basically ignored it. Authority has to be exercised in order to exist, in order to avoid the waiver of any authority. So it is that Congress has to, from time to time, make these sorts of declarations. And the need to do so is, with this President, particularly acute.

Their goal is not to "wait for catastrophe;" the goal is for the Executive Branch to work cooperatively with the Legislative Branch in this most important of issues.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

NBC's Peter Alexander asked Pompeo at today WH briefing: If you killed Soleimani to avert an imminent danger- now that Soleimani is dead, is that imminent danger gone?

Pompeo said the attack was imminent but they didn't know when or where!

Not knowing when is the opposite of imminent.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:58 am The equipment worked (against non-maneuvering large non-stealthy aircraft without countermeasures, flying at high altitude).
I understand that part.

What I mean is: we don't know how the humans handled all of it. Did the Mullahs order this shot? Or a military leader? Did the crew go rogue? What does the decision tree look like for Iran's military?

Was it a mistake as in "whoops", the crew misidentified the plane? Or did they take it out on purpose?

Who the heck knows. That is my point. I don't think we'll ever find out.
ggait

Post by ggait »

It was imminent.

Well not imminent imminent. But eventually, it was going to become imminent.

I can't believe it is my job to have to constantly explain things to reporters and Congress members who are so stupid.

Eventual imminent is still imminent. Sheesh!
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Guess not, right? ;)
No----that is an attempt to curtail his powers going forward. It has nothing to do with what he already did.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Guess not, right? ;)
Their goal is to express some Congressional authority over this narrow but important aspect of foreign policy: the decision to use mortal force overseas. The War Powers Act has, since its passage in 1973, been a bone of contention. It was a response to the so-called Imperial Presidency. Nixon tried to veto it, and every President since -- D or R -- has basically ignored it. Authority has to be exercised in order to exist, in order to avoid the waiver of any authority. So it is that Congress has to, from time to time, make these sorts of declarations. And the need to do so is, with this President, particularly acute.

Their goal is not to "wait for catastrophe;" the goal is for the Executive Branch to work cooperatively with the Legislative Branch in this most important of issues.
So why then now if it has been a bone of contention since 73' ? Pelosi is on record as agreeing BHO had complete authority without notification to Congress in 2011? Just appears on the surface as more bickering and futile exercises of partisanship...the vote was down party lines with the exception of ~3-6 flips.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Guess not, right? ;)
No----that is an attempt to curtail his powers going forward. It has nothing to do with what he already did.
Is that not splitting hairs? What if the Soleimani's replacement is worse, and in the dead of the night fires missiles or attacks an embassy again....do we wait until 10 am when every gets to the office, assuming its a weekday and everyone is in session?
~Livy

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Guess not, right? ;)
Is that not splitting hairs? What if the Soleimani's replacement is worse, and in the dead of the night fires missiles or attacks an embassy again....do we wait until 10 am when every gets to the office, assuming its a weekday and everyone is in session?
You're missing the point, YA. No one is attempting to curtail the Executive's power to react quickly to a truly imminent threat. Congress is directing the Executive to be consultative and cooperative under circumstances that allow for proper consultation. My read of the news suggests that the decision to assassinate Soleimani would have allowed consultation with Congress. Instead, Trump made arch comments to guests at Mar-$$-Lago.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thanks. I suppose the rub is the party line vote in the House on the topic. Forgive me for being skeptical these days, there is certainly plenty of reasons.
~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm NBC's Peter Alexander asked Pompeo at today WH briefing: If you killed Soleimani to avert an imminent danger- now that Soleimani is dead, is that imminent danger gone?

Pompeo said the attack was imminent but they didn't know when or where!

Not knowing when is the opposite of imminent.
Yup. Some pretty thin gruel coming out the mouths of these Trumpnista. The only people who believe this nonsense are the morons in Trump's base. Even the republicans who are voting in support of his actions don't believe this beans. They are worse, traitors to the republic.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”