All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:13 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/novavax- ... 41062.html
novavax gonna apply for eua imminent. 2 billion doses is a good bit.

as importantly:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/05/health/n ... index.html
traditional vaccine without maybe all those bloodclots. and no mrna. this is the final piece for our hesitant u.s... thankfully.
The company should wait for normal authorization…..J&J has been readily available….the conventional vaccine.
damn. forgot about the eua part. jnj would've worked if not for bloodclots and diminishing protection down to 3% in 5 months.

so another 6 months. equities should be good for another half year run. short wealth equality.
They had their chance, prioritize those that don’t refuse help. Set up facilities for the unvaccinated….we could even provide the with land up in Idaho and classify it as a reservation. They can govern themselves.

Omar Cook would have been good if he could shoot!
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:46 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/novavax- ... 41062.html

as importantly:
traditional vaccine without maybe all those bloodclots. and no mrna. this is the final piece for our hesitant u.s... thankfully.
The company should wait for normal authorization…..J&J has been readily available….the conventional vaccine.
damn. forgot about the eua part. jnj would've worked if not for bloodclots and diminishing protection down to 3% in 5 months.

so another 6 months. equities should be good for another half year run. short wealth equality.
They had their chance, prioritize those that don’t refuse help. Set up facilities for the unvaccinated….we could even provide the with land up in Idaho and classify it as a reservation. They can govern themselves.

it's like you're writing screenplays.

omar cook could shoot, just not inside the arc with someone on him.

from skeptic's thread:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... ovid/?s=09

natural immunity is back! explains a lot in japan, asia vs the developed world. thanks, ethical and friends.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:17 pm

as importantly:

from skeptic's thread:

natural immunity is back! explains a lot in japan, asia vs the developed world. thanks, ethical and friends.
We should be Japan.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:32 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:17 pm

as importantly:

from skeptic's thread:

We should be Japan.
this would be over by now.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Healthcare workers tired of being abused by the unvaccinated mouth breathers. Seeing articles like this more frequently in recent weeks. This is going to blow up sometime, likely soon. Omicron is likely to fill hospital beds like nothing before. Healthcare workers and the vaccinated citizens are coming to the end of their patience with the unvaccinated.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:40 pm Healthcare workers tired of being abused by the unvaccinated mouth breathers. Seeing articles like this more frequently in recent weeks. This is going to blow up sometime, likely soon. Omicron is likely to fill hospital beds like nothing before. Healthcare workers and the vaccinated citizens are coming to the end of their patience with the unvaccinated.
I would post this in the lounge where the unvaccinated have to wait until things slow down before they can be seen…

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

While they wait in the lounge for service.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
old salt

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:08 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:18 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:10 am Why was testing delayed in the United States, versus say South Korea?

This is an incredibly interesting article on how the FDA bungled things as only bureaucracies can. The US and SoKo got their first detected cases on the same date, 1-21. Our FDA inserted itself into the process by demanding an 'Emergency Use Authorization" (EAU) letter from the FDA for any lab that wished to test for Covid-19. Labs that had begun to test instead had to shut down, waiting for the letter; the United States has 260,000 laboratory entities.

Between 1-21 and 2-29, only one EAU letter was issued, to the CDC lab. Everything was pinned on one lab, whose protocol proceeded to fail. Of course. On March 16, finally, the FDA sped up the process by removing itself from the process, by providing an EAU exemption to any lab that sought it, essentially giving power of this process to the states.

Guess who ordered that ruling? Libs here won't be happy, but it rhymes with drump.

Speed not perfection in a pandemic.

Bureaucracies exist to deny you your rights. Never forget that.

https://thedispatch.com/p/timeline-the- ... latorsthat
Are you actually serious PB?
Of course bureaucracies slow stuff down.
and this was an epic fail for sure.
But of leadership not just bureaucracy.

Do you imagine that SK doesn't have bureaucracy?

March 15?!
why don't you ask the question as to why Trump didn't order it opened up sooner?
did he ask about it?

when was the last time he said the virus wasn't a serious issue or even worse, that "we just have 15 cases and it's soon going to zero"?
I thought it was you who always tell us that Trump is a "moron". How would a moron know what an 'Emergency Use Authorization" (EAU) is?

In some regards, I think you are correct, but you're missing the why; Trump isn't a details guy...at all. :lol: I bet Trump didn't even know what the FDA was prior to 6 weeks ago. My guess is he said to Azar, 'handle it'. And Azar probably didn't have a clue how to get a bureaucracy to move. When that became apparent, Trump stepped in.

But you don't get to call Trump a moron and blame him for the inner trappings of the FDA. Pick one or the other.
I don't think I've used that word, but it's certainly an apt one for Trump.

What 'moron' wouldn't know what the FDA is?
Much less one who ANYONE would consider electable for President.

But yes, a 'not a details guy' is responsible for hiring strong subordinates, those who actually know more than the boss and are effective managers in their own right. That the "CEO" job.

You guys all claimed Trump was a masterful business person, certainly he himself made such claims, yet he's been brutally bad at hiring and managing competent people.

Another key job of any leader/manager, of anything, is someone who will ask hard questions of subordinates to be sure they're not blowing smoke up his __. Not looking for the 'happy talk' answer, but the serious news and the hard recommendations.

And the more serious the problem, the more important that 'bad news can't wait' as an operating maxim.

We see the result of 'hiring' this jerk. Yes, I've used that word. It too is apt. ;)

So, you betcha, we can look at this snafu, which I think was more about arrogance than bureaucracy, and we can blame the top dog for his failure. As well as subordinates who blew their jobs. And all the sycophants who made this not only possible, but likely, as they enabled incompetence and corruption to stand uncontested at every level. The culture of this Administration is horrible, and again that's on Trump and those who have enabled him.
After 11 mos in office & trillions in covid emergency funding (much unspent or spent on other stuff),
it's great that Mr Competent Biden straightened out the testing snafu. :?
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Latest study on Omicron's ability to evade vaccines and therapeutics. The situation is less good than I had hoped.

Severity of the disease seems to be 50% - 70% less severe.

For those vaccinated the breakthrough symptoms and course of the disease seems to be significantly different than previous variants.
Main symptoms for adults are 1) Noticeable fatigue; 2) Scratchy / Sore throat; 3) nasal congestion. These seem to be pretty consistent.
Optional symptoms are 1) Headache; 2) Runny nose; 3) muscle aches and pains - mild. 4) low grade fever. No loss of smell or taste reported. No trouble breathing, no lung congestion reported.

The disease course seems to run for a week to two at most at a low level. This is very much like a cold or mild flu. It is likely to be impossible to distinguish Omicron from the current flus running around, or even a common cold. COVID testing is required to pin it down. This information was collected from multiple sources all around the world. The symptoms and course seems very repeatable, unlike previous versions of COVID.

I tried to find something similar for the unvaccinated, was unsuccessful. What does seem true is the percentage drop in severity seems to be about the same for vaccinated and unvaccinated. It may be that these symptoms and course are the same for the unvaccinated, just more intense. That is a hope, not confirmed.

For children there appears to be one other symptom that is very common - a body rash - 50% of patients.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thanks.....quite the same thing the youtube Dr. from UK has been saying. So those people where right.....covid 'is' just like the flu. ;)

~ Merry Christmas!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/24/us/docto ... index.html

"Folks act as if they can come in the hospital and request any certain therapy they want or conversely decline any therapy they want with the idea being that somehow they can pick and choose and direct their therapy. And it doesn't work," Lyons told CNN from the CentraCare hospital he works at in St. Cloud, Minnesota.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:09 am https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/24/us/docto ... index.html

"Folks act as if they can come in the hospital and request any certain therapy they want or conversely decline any therapy they want with the idea being that somehow they can pick and choose and direct their therapy. And it doesn't work," Lyons told CNN from the CentraCare hospital he works at in St. Cloud, Minnesota.
Crazy out there. The lines have all been bluried...in most everything. Starting with everyone gets a trophy, a crying room, a praying room, a separate bathroom, a new sexual identity, etc-etc....we've (collectively) allowed damned near everything to be acceptable. So science and medicine seems like the next logical step, and why not....all the data is out there to make an educated guess. It is sad, but in the same breath....we've condoned and pandered to the complainers, enough so that they provided a voice for all.

~ Merry Christmas
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:09 am https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/24/us/docto ... index.html

i've learned 10x more in the last 2 years about the inner workings of viruses and health treatments than i had in my entire lifetime. i have a pretty good handle on it now.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:57 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:10 am Why was testing delayed in the United States, versus say South Korea?

This is an incredibly interesting article on how the FDA bungled things as only bureaucracies can. The US and SoKo got their first detected cases on the same date, 1-21. Our FDA inserted itself into the process by demanding an 'Emergency Use Authorization" (EAU) letter from the FDA for any lab that wished to test for Covid-19. Labs that had begun to test instead had to shut down, waiting for the letter; the United States has 260,000 laboratory entities.

Between 1-21 and 2-29, only one EAU letter was issued, to the CDC lab. Everything was pinned on one lab, whose protocol proceeded to fail. Of course. On March 16, finally, the FDA sped up the process by removing itself from the process, by providing an EAU exemption to any lab that sought it, essentially giving power of this process to the states.

Guess who ordered that ruling? Libs here won't be happy, but it rhymes with drump.

March 15?!
why don't you ask the question as to why Trump didn't order it opened up sooner?
did he ask about it?

when was the last time he said the virus wasn't a serious issue or even worse, that "we just have 15 cases and it's soon going to zero"?
I thought it was you who always tell us that Trump is a "moron". How would a moron know what an 'Emergency Use Authorization" (EAU) is?

In some regards, I think you are correct, but you're missing the why; Trump isn't a details guy...at all. :lol: I bet Trump didn't even know what the FDA was prior to 6 weeks ago. My guess is he said to Azar, 'handle it'. And Azar probably didn't have a clue how to get a bureaucracy to move. When that became apparent, Trump stepped in.

But you don't get to call Trump a moron and blame him for the inner trappings of the FDA. Pick one or the other.

But yes, a 'not a details guy' is responsible for hiring strong subordinates, those who actually know more than the boss and are effective managers in their own right. That the "CEO" job.

You guys all claimed Trump was a masterful business person, certainly he himself made such claims, yet he's been brutally bad at hiring and managing competent people.

Another key job of any leader/manager, of anything, is someone who will ask hard questions of subordinates to be sure they're not blowing smoke up his __. Not looking for the 'happy talk' answer, but the serious news and the hard recommendations.

And the more serious the problem, the more important that 'bad news can't wait' as an operating maxim.

We see the result of 'hiring' this jerk. Yes, I've used that word. It too is apt. ;)

So, you betcha, we can look at this snafu, which I think was more about arrogance than bureaucracy, and we can blame the top dog for his failure. As well as subordinates who blew their jobs. And all the sycophants who made this not only possible, but likely, as they enabled incompetence and corruption to stand uncontested at every level. The culture of this Administration is horrible, and again that's on Trump and those who have enabled him.
After 11 mos in office & trillions in covid emergency funding (much unspent or spent on other stuff),
First, Merry Christmas Eve to you Salty, and all others on here.

On this comment, yes, it's obviously clear that the Admin did not adequately foresee the immensely rapid scaling of a new variant requiring so many tests. However, in addition to correctly (IMO) prioritizing vaccine distribution, they also funded the development of super rapid tests that did not previously exist, and they funded the production of those tests...could they have done more, sooner? Let's assume so. They've most recently placed huge orders for such tests. Good. And remember that these tests and their production capacities did not previously exist when they took office.

I think the other valid criticism on testing was the emphasis on using insurance to reimburse the costs for testing, rather than what some countries have done, making them virtually free, no insurance process needed. It appears they've now recognized the need to bypass the insurance process and just get them in the hands of the public asap. Good.

As I've said many, many times, I'm sure there will be plenty to critique the Biden Admin for. Mistakes will be made. Some may be egregious.

But, in stark contrast with the former POTUS, who made such extravagant claims about his abilities as a manager, a CEO, a business person, etc, etc, it's clear that the people Biden has hired/appointed and 'manages' are competent people who are indeed attempting to do their level best in combatting the pandemic and provide for the public good, rather than a burning obsession with the POTUS' ego and election prospects.

Big difference...but that's not going to mean perfection or no mistakes.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:06 am

March 15?!
did he ask about it?

On this comment, yes, it's obviously clear that the Admin did not adequately foresee the immensely rapid scaling of a new variant requiring so many tests. However, in addition to correctly (IMO) prioritizing vaccine distribution, they also funded the development of super rapid tests that did not previously exist, and they funded the production of those tests...could they have done more, sooner? Let's assume so. They've most recently placed huge orders for such tests. Good. And remember that these tests and their production capacities did not previously exist when they took office.

I think the other valid criticism on testing was the emphasis on using insurance to reimburse the costs for testing, rather than what some countries have done, making them virtually free, no insurance process needed. It appears they've now recognized the need to bypass the insurance process and just get them in the hands of the public asap. Good.

As I've said many, many times, I'm sure there will be plenty to critique the Biden Admin for. Mistakes will be made. Some may be egregious.

But, in stark contrast with the former POTUS, who made such extravagant claims about his abilities as a manager, a CEO, a business person, etc, etc, it's clear that the people Biden has hired/appointed and 'manages' are competent people who are indeed attempting to do their level best in combatting the pandemic and provide for the public good, rather than a burning obsession with the POTUS' ego and election prospects.

Trump’s idea of good management is short paying suppliers.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:25 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:06 am

March 15?!
did he ask about it?

Trump’s idea of good management is short paying suppliers.
yup...and all relationships and commitments are solely transactional.
Valid only while still in his short term interest to maintain.

Absolute loyalty and compliance demanded, but not reciprocated.
No loyalty as soon as no short term reward to him.
"Prettier girl" syndrome.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Omicron reinfection study. Indicates reinfection is 5 times more likely than delta reinfection.

Return to “POLITICS”