All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

PizzaSnake

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:19 pm
ggait wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:44 pm From my little anecdotal window on the world, IHME is probably right.

There are way more Covid infections flying around our family/neighborhood/friend group right now than at any prior time during the pandemic. The Mrs. may have just picked it up, although we don't know since she can't get a rapid test until tomorrow. And the PCR test available today would not come back until Saturday.

All the cases are mild, as expected, since I run with the fully vaxed crowd. But positive break throughs are everywhere! And now with Omicron, they are basically unavoidable. No matter how many tests you throw at them.

I think we are going to see in the next 6-8 weeks what a pandemic of the unvaxed really looks like. Too late now to get vaxed before the wave hits in earnest. Not enough supply of therapeutics to go around. Only hope at this point for the unvaxed is that Omicron is much milder than Delta. But as the saying goes, hope really isn't a strategy.

And the vaxed will pretty much be fine.
-- not sure this agrees with IHME model, but your analysis agrees with my gut (which is sometimes right and sometimes wrong).
More than one way to trim the voter rolls.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
CU88

Post by CU88 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:21 am Trump did good!
We need to get video of him and Bill saying this on all media! He has the power to still save many lives, here and abroad.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

FDA just authorized Merck anti-viral.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 am FDA just authorized Merck anti-viral.
Don’t tell Tech.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

That is just a but surprising to me. 30%?

I find these comments (from USA Today) telling:

"Several doctors told USA TODAY that they would only prescribe molnupiravir if they had no other alternative, and the FDA seemed to echo that by noting in its authorization announcement that the drug is to be used by people at high risk for severe disease “for whom alternative COVID-19 treatment options authorized by the FDA are not accessible or clinically appropriate.”

"There are a lot of question marks still to answer, however, If I had nothing else to provide to a patient that was at high risk, that's a risk-reward discussion with a patient," said Michael Ganio, senior director of Pharmacy Practice and Quality at the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. "That decision may lean in favor of molnupiravir if it was available."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bart wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:34 am
That is just a but surprising to me. 30%?

I find these comments (from USA Today) telling:

"Several doctors told USA TODAY that they would only prescribe molnupiravir if they had no other alternative, and the FDA seemed to echo that by noting in its authorization announcement that the drug is to be used by people at high risk for severe disease “for whom alternative COVID-19 treatment options authorized by the FDA are not accessible or clinically appropriate.”

"There are a lot of question marks still to answer, however, If I had nothing else to provide to a patient that was at high risk, that's a risk-reward discussion with a patient," said Michael Ganio, senior director of Pharmacy Practice and Quality at the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. "That decision may lean in favor of molnupiravir if it was available."
mmm, sure would prefer the other drug if was eligible!

But neither is as effective as being vaxxed and boosted. But would be great as a further backstop.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

FYI on the mandates:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/12/just ... -policies/

"With COVID-19 cases surging across the country, the Supreme Court fast-tracked two disputes over the Biden administration’s efforts to expand vaccinations. In an unusual move, the justices announced on Wednesday night that they will hear oral arguments on Jan. 7 on two federal policies: a vaccine-or-test mandate for workers at large employers, and a vaccine mandate for health care workers at facilities that receive federal funding.

The cases came to the court last week on an emergency basis, and the formal question in both disputes is whether the government should be allowed to enforce the policies while litigation challenging them continues. But the justices’ views on whether to grant emergency relief will likely be influenced by their views on the merits of the underlying challenges themselves.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration issued the vaccine-or-test mandate on Nov. 5. It requires all employers with more than 100 employees to mandate that those employees be either fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be tested weekly and wear masks at work. Several challenges to the rule were filed around the country, by (among others) business groups, religious groups, and Republican-led states, arguing that the mandate exceeds OSHA’s authority. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit temporarily put the mandate on hold in November, but the challenges were consolidated in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit, which reinstated the mandate last week.

The challengers went quickly to the Supreme Court, filing over a dozen separate requests asking the justices to block the 6th Circuit’s ruling. The justices on Wednesday night set two of those requests for oral argument – one filed by a group of trade associations and the other by a group of states, led by Ohio – on a highly expedited basis. The 6th Circuit’s ruling reviving the mandate will remain in force until the Supreme Court acts on the challengers’ request, although OSHA has indicated that it will not issue citations for failure to comply with the rule until Jan. 10 at the earliest.

The Biden administration also came to the court last week, asking the justices to allow it to temporarily enforce a rule issued by the Department of Health and Human Services that requires all health care workers at facilities that participate in the Medicare and Medicaid programs to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are eligible for a medical or religious exemption. Lower-court rulings blocked the administration from enforcing the vaccine mandate in approximately half of the states. The justices will hear argument on whether those rulings should remain in place."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/novavax- ... 41062.html
novavax gonna apply for eua imminent. 2 billion doses is a good bit.

as importantly:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/05/health/n ... index.html
traditional vaccine without maybe all those bloodclots. and no mrna. this is the final piece for our hesitant u.s... thankfully.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/novavax- ... 41062.html

as importantly:
traditional vaccine without maybe all those bloodclots. and no mrna. this is the final piece for our hesitant u.s... thankfully.
The company should wait for normal authorization…..J&J has been readily available….the conventional vaccine.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Decent news out of the UK. Interesting how he included Gibraltar in to the conversation (highly vaccinated) and how this may very well be a good thing for them. Also appears the wave in SA is tailing in the right direction.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:38 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/novavax- ... 41062.html

as importantly:
.. I doubt it will make any real difference to the the remaining hesitants. These people are masters of excuse making. It is political and this not being part of Trump's effort makes it less palatable politically.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:09 pm Decent news out of the UK. Interesting how he included Gibraltar in to the conversation (highly vaccinated) and how this may very well be a good thing for them. Also appears the wave in SA is tailing in the right direction.

:lol: :lol:

Where is skeptical guy?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:13 pm

as importantly:
The company should wait for normal authorization…..J&J has been readily available….the conventional vaccine.
damn. forgot about the eua part. jnj would've worked if not for bloodclots and diminishing protection down to 3% in 5 months.

so another 6 months. equities should be good for another half year run. short wealth equality.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:17 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:09 pm Decent news out of the UK. Interesting how he included Gibraltar in to the conversation (highly vaccinated) and how this may very well be a good thing for them. Also appears the wave in SA is tailing in the right direction.

Where is skeptical guy?
Keepin’ it real. 🤓https://twitter.com/ethicalskeptic/stat ... 39911?s=21
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:17 pm

Where is skeptical guy?
Keepin’ it real. 🤓https://twitter.com/ethicalskeptic/stat ... 39911?s=21
He called in over in July 2020….we still counting all those old deaths? Where were they hiding the bodies?
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”