Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by molo »

On another forum, a fan of a team that plays for a school with a famously desirable grounds asked if it was worth making the trip to Homewood when they play next month. Someone who purported to be familiar with Hopkins praised the atmosphere in the stadium but characterized the location as get in/get out. Really? I suggested that BGE might be thinking of the medical complex, where arguothe best hospital and medical school in the world are situated in a part of Baltimore that is pretty much like The Wire.
I would hardly call Guilford, Oakenshaw, Charles Village, Hampden, or Remington get in/get out neighborhoods. In fact, had I any money or foresight when I bought a house in Hampden, I would have invested in Hampden or Remington and could’ve seen the value increase tenfold.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Not sure if I missed it posted already but team is dropping STX helmets and switching to cascade.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

hmmm wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:33 pm Not sure if I missed it posted already but team is dropping STX helmets and switching to cascade.
Didn’t they just drop cascade a month ago and go to stx?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:12 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:57 pm Jay Dyer is bullet proof to the faithful.
Which seems to be from years and years of praise from Petro.

I think it’s fair to question if it is warranted if the Jays gas out and can’t finish a second game in three days.
dyer doesn't run the box. i expect the jays will figure it out.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I think it’s fair to question if it is warranted if the Jays gas out and can’t finish a second game in three days.
I love the Hopkins forum page. Ain’t nothing like it.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:19 pm

I’m the First Earl of Fanlax.

Lord DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:02 am

Lord DocBarrister
Are you related to the Earl of Oxford, the greatest writer who ever lived?
Noblesse Oblige...you must become a big donor for the program now lol.
I think the team got gassed because they were playing too much defense.
I hope they can get up for Loyola, both physically and mentally. That team is hot right now and spoiling for revenge from last year.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't necessarily believe this to be true. I think are a few relevant points. If you decided that Dyer was an issue - who would you replace him with and what would they do differently? I know that every S&C coach claims to have the secret sauce and I am sure some are better than others but he is the S&C coach for some of the US teams and he has built a successful year round program that involves alot of kids from other schools. They all go to the same conferences and get similar certifications - like coaching there are few "secrets". I think Milliman would part ways as soon as he could if he thought there was a better outcome to be had. Second, what are Dyer's resources in terms of facilities for recovery as compared to the school's with huge football programs - i.e. things like hyperbaric chambers, etc. on campus? And I am not arguing hyperbaric chambers made the difference last Tuesday I am just saying because of space and money as compared to big football schools - he probably has to be a little more creative in those areas.
I think he has made mistakes - the most notable being that he had to be involved with the infamous "fun run" out to BWI airport and back or where ever that really apparently impacted some players that year. If you found Milliman someone who had a better mousetrap and was the same cost and it really made a difference - he would do it in a New York minute.

BTW - there have been plenty of examples where folks on laxpower or this board have howled about Memorial Day week-end and the timing of the games leading to fatigue - physical and mental. 2007 for example, many were outraged that Hopkins got to play the early game against Delaware and while it was not an easy game - Hopkins had the upper hand most of the game while Duke Cornell was a nailbiter till the very end. Interesting that everybody said that Duke couldn't find its legs in the first half and that's why Hopkins built the big lead.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Watching that Georgetown game again,

hopefully the coaches stress pushing on transition, there
were some tremendous scores on broken play / transition.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:18 am
I don't necessarily believe this to be true. I think are a few relevant points. If you decided that Dyer was an issue - who would you replace him with and what would they do differently? I know that every S&C coach claims to have the secret sauce and I am sure some are better than others but he is the S&C coach for some of the US teams and he has built a successful year round program that involves alot of kids from other schools. They all go to the same conferences and get similar certifications - like coaching there are few "secrets". I think Milliman would part ways as soon as he could if he thought there was a better outcome to be had. Second, what are Dyer's resources in terms of facilities for recovery as compared to the school's with huge football programs - i.e. things like hyperbaric chambers, etc. on campus? And I am not arguing hyperbaric chambers made the difference last Tuesday I am just saying because of space and money as compared to big football schools - he probably has to be a little more creative in those areas.
I think he has made mistakes - the most notable being that he had to be involved with the infamous "fun run" out to BWI airport and back or where ever that really apparently impacted some players that year. If you found Milliman someone who had a better mousetrap and was the same cost and it really made a difference - he would do it in a New York minute.

BTW - there have been plenty of examples where folks on laxpower or this board have howled about Memorial Day week-end and the timing of the games leading to fatigue - physical and mental. 2007 for example, many were outraged that Hopkins got to play the early game against Delaware and while it was not an easy game - Hopkins had the upper hand most of the game while Duke Cornell was a nailbiter till the very end. Interesting that everybody said that Duke couldn't find its legs in the first half and that's why Hopkins built the big lead.
There's a guy who's been around lacrosse for only a short time, but has been doing his thing for a long time named Tony Holler, who's a HS track coach in illinois and started the Track and Football Consortium. He's been on Jamie Munro's podcast a couple times, he's been at Lacrosse conventions and his company has worked with some big time NCAA football programs. He has worked with princeton's men's lacrosse team and he said he was working with Johns Hopkins, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the women's team, since Jamie is a connection between Tony and the JHU women's coach.

What he does is certainly a different way than what most coaches are accustomed.

I get the consternation about the scheduling since JHU is trying to make the tournament and they need to win more games than last year to make it. Losing one like the UNC game hurts when looking at it that way.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

thread made me rewatch 4th last night and zapruder when the wifey went to bed.
unc goals:
- #18 sees unc #7 att on #77 ssdm, as his man jogs to crease he calls for a 2. as dodge happens, #18 sets up @ gle staring down dodger for what seems like 4-5 seconds or more. so no man's land. #7 sees him, too, pulls out and waits to survey who is open. unc overloads initial side and the 2 slide's (who still has to have crease) man drifts to have the entire backside to himself. probably on #18 as i can't believe that's the plan for that long.
- the next 3 goals are largely attributable 2x to middies being slow/not aware getting back to crease, and getting beat 1x easily on island out in space. likely because they are tired. dvr cuts off for last garbage goal.

to wit:
- there were maybe 8-10 unc possessions. rotated w the 2nd lsm #11 at least twice, maybe 3x.
- #12 and #77 took all but one run the entire quarter. the one they didn't, #9 had gotten caught in after an o possession. targeted him a few times, was slow back to crease at the end of his ~90 second run and #1 couldn't play 1 on 2.

- offense. ran 7 guys most of the quarter. we saw the full 2s midway thru the 1/4 for about 30 sec, chauvette drew a penalty. then with a couple min left.

jhu wouldn't be the first team to try to play a short bench, or a short bench late. don't know what happened with this the rest of the game, nor was i counting unc. but if you want to play ~14 guys + a goalie 90% of the time for extended stretches, you're playing with fire. especially ssdm's, as they get run ragged.

imagine doing 150-250 yard runs. with a minute in between. while cutting, defending, pushing, etc. over and over and over. then imagine doing it with 3 minutes rest. at least more than rarely.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:54 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:02 am

Lord DocBarrister
Are you related to the Earl of Oxford, the greatest writer who ever lived?
Noblesse Oblige...you must become a big donor for the program now lol.
I think the team got gassed because they were playing too much defense.
I hope they can get up for Loyola, both physically and mentally. That team is hot right now and spoiling for revenge from last year.
I ain’t the Duke of Devonshire … don’t have money to burn.

More like Earl-of-Devon kinda money.

Anyway, can’t talk now … headed out to satiate a Big Mac attack.

Lord DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

A Big Mac? Oh Lord.
Too bad you live so far left, Lord Doc, otherwise you might be able to stop by this big Mac's to satiate.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:55 am What he does is certainly a different way than what most coaches are accustomed.
Not being a strength and conditioning coach - I am sure there is more than one way to skin the cat but there are probably consistent principles in this day and age - weight training, cardio, stretching, recovery, hydration, yoga, biomechanics etc. I am sure there are a gazillion different components and orders to the programs. My point is that I highly doubt Dyer is giving the Hopkins players salt pills and denying them water and that his programs for the most part very likely fit into the parameters of most. At the same time I also doubt Dyer has convinced anyone he has the formula to Coca Cola and is therefore indispensible. He has run his programs for a long time - if there were conspicuous issues - even a loyalist like Petro probably would have done something. While it would be nice to have the very best S&C guy in the world who knew something that no one else did - but of course then for mankind and his own bank account he should share it - you don't need it. You need a high level of competency in conjunction with someone the student athletes respond to. He almost certainly did not cause the 2nd half collapse on Tuesday and I would be skeptical that he could have done something specifically by himself to prevent it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:01 pm A Big Mac? Oh Lord.
Too bad you live so far left, Lord Doc, otherwise you might be able to stop by this big Mac's to satiate.
That looks deliciously deadly.

I must have my chef contact your chef for the recipe, or do you prefer that she first call your chief butler?

Lord DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:05 pmI would be skeptical that he could have done something specifically by himself to prevent it.
Woah now that is certainly just speculation without having all the facts. Does he have any eligibility left and how good of an on ball defender is he? Does he have some shake and a cannon of a shot? I don't think we've even given the man a chance to see the field. ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:32 pm Game notes are out.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/2/1 ... notes.aspx

DocBarrister
Did not realize Marcille was the first Hopkins goalie to score a goal since 1986, and the first with three straight 15+ save games since 1997.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
molo

Post by molo »

Last one to do it was Jones, who started in 86. He lost by his job a few games into 87 to a freshman who became one of the top goalies of all time before becoming an announcer whom some adore and others abhor.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:05 pm
ohmilax34 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:55 am What he does is certainly a different way than what most coaches are accustomed.
Not being a strength and conditioning coach - I am sure there is more than one way to skin the cat but there are probably consistent principles in this day and age - weight training, cardio, stretching, recovery, hydration, yoga, biomechanics etc. I am sure there are a gazillion different components and orders to the programs. My point is that I highly doubt Dyer is giving the Hopkins players salt pills and denying them water and that his programs for the most part very likely fit into the parameters of most. At the same time I also doubt Dyer has convinced anyone he has the formula to Coca Cola and is therefore indispensible. He has run his programs for a long time - if there were conspicuous issues - even a loyalist like Petro probably would have done something.
I’m not sure that’s true. Did Petro ever shake up the staff through the lean decade?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”