All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by dislaxxic »

Wow, there's some in-your-face Trumpist Climate Denial for ya. Way to show your stripes, bud. Not for nuthin', but we've heard this delusion before.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:31 pm
Cooter wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:07 pm A person who has become a single issue climate voter could have been planning to vote for Trump.

It would be more accurate, if a voter switches from the going senile Biden to the Green party, to say one less vote for Biden. While it doesn't make a difference in who wins, people do look at the percentages of votes gotten. For example, if the Green party got a higher percentage of votes it would indicate that there was more interest in stopping global warming.
I'm fine with your argument that there are indeed pro carbon, single issue voters who would vote for Trump, just as I'd say that there are single issue climate change voters who will vote for Biden to defeat Trump.

You adding the words 'going senile' betrays you, but ok, you're perhaps never going to vote for the Dem candidate. Have you ever voted Dem for President? I haven't, this will be my first.

And I have no issue, if this is truly how you feel about your own vote, prioritizing sending a message about global warming rather than the ignominious defeat of Trump...if you are in a safe Biden state. You're in Maryland like me? Understood.

If not a safe state, I'd certainly push more strongly that defeating Trump is far more important to the global climate cause than seeing any sort of ultra Green message.

I'll continue to advocate that the ignominious defeat of Trumpism is the best course to rational progress on climate change measures. So, that's where my vote will go, though for far more than a single issue reason.
So when you want to stand up to the single most devastating and dangerous country the planet has ever seen... Communist China Pleasee let us know what your game plan is. I know your favorite tactic would be to talk them to death. Having you doing the chit chatting it might very well work... bore them to death and then get them to sign.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

A sobering analysis of CA's wildfire future, which makes the case for more controlled burns.
https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/0 ... es/168206/

Studies have shown that over a quarter of U.S. Forest Service fire suppression spending goes to aviation — planes and helicopters used to put out fire. A lot of the “air show,” as he calls it, happens not on small fires in the morning, when retardant drops from planes are most effective, but on large fires in the afternoon. But nevermind. You can now call in a 747 to drop 19,200 gallons of retardant. Or a purpose-designed Lockheed Martin FireHerc, a cousin of the C-130. How cool is that? Still only 30% of retardant is dropped within 2,000 yards of a neighborhood, meaning that it stands little chance of saving a life or home. Instead the airdrop serves, at great expense, to save trees in the wilderness, where burning, not suppression, might well do more good.
While the article examines the issue from a statewide big picture perspective, I wonder if controlled burns could not be more aggressively used, in advance, to create firebreaks around populated areas (like Paradise).

Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:31 pm If not a safe state, I'd certainly push more strongly that defeating Trump is far more important to the global climate cause than seeing any sort of ultra Green message.
I don't really agree. Biden is talking big about it because he wants to get elected.
If he does get elected, he will probably be more concerned about turning the economy around after coronavirus, and talk about having to hold off on really doing things about global warming. If he is still around in his 4th year, and not dead or suffering from senior dementia, he might do a little just so the Dems can run it up the flag pole in the next election.

Meanwhile Biden/Harris will be making all those 14.3 million illegal immigrants into citizens and inviting in millions more.

One might want to thumb through the security concerns for global warming again:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmaho ... 8c388374f5
Live Free or Die!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:31 pm Wow, there's some in-your-face Trumpist Climate Denial for ya. Way to show your stripes, bud. Not for nuthin', but we've heard this delusion before.

How many trillions of dollars does it take to save the planet there Dis? Do you really think the chicoms give a flying fig about saving the planet? I think after you and your buds save the planet you can go on a search for unicorns next. :P
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 am
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:31 pm Wow, there's some in-your-face Trumpist Climate Denial for ya. Way to show your stripes, bud. Not for nuthin', but we've heard this delusion before.

How many trillions of dollars does it take to save the planet there Dis? Do you really think the chicoms give a flying fig about saving the planet? I think after you and your buds save the planet you can go on a search for unicorns next. :P
The planet will be fine. People won’t be.
“I wish you would!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

7 of the top 11 companies in the world are energy companies. They made $2.3 Trillion last year... you always like to point out where the money lies.

We should be a lot harder on the Chinese, but we can't do it by ourselves, we need to do it multilaterally. Get a group of nations together, especially Chinese neighbors in some sort of partnership across the Pacific... Maybe include the EU too the next go around?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Contribution of aviation to global warming

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ince-2000/
Live Free or Die!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 am Contribution of aviation to global warming

You need to stop cooter, things like that make too much sense..and in-turn, upset those pushing an agenda to steer you away from realville.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:31 pm
Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 am Contribution of aviation to global warming

You need to stop cooter, things like that make too much sense..and in-turn, upset those pushing an agenda to steer you away from realville.
Petey won't like it.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:57 am

7 of the top 11 companies in the world are energy companies. They made $2.3 Trillion last year... you always like to point out where the money lies.

We should be a lot harder on the Chinese, but we can't do it by ourselves, we need to do it multilaterally. Get a group of nations together, especially Chinese neighbors in some sort of partnership across the Pacific... Maybe include the EU too the next go around?
Not the point Buford T Justice, BTW I love your new avatar you redneck sumbiitch. If the gubmint wants to invest untold trillions of dollars to save the planet... what the flying flip is the game plan? How is victory to be declared. It is funny that when it comes to all the "special interest" on the environmental fruitcake side, here is something I noticed. If your a vegan, you save the planet by not eating meat. If you hate the internal combustion engine, you save the earth by driving cracker box electric cars. If you hate coal power, you save the earth by building more solar panels and windmills. It is an interesting coincidence that all of the things the environmental fruitloops tell us we must do just happen to dovetail very nicely with all these folks personal priorities in life. It is very interesting how nuclear power, the most environmentally clean energy never even makes any lists from the fruitloops point of view. :roll: Save the planet my ass, advance a personal agenda... that is what saving the planet means. I did not even bother to go in to any detail about cow farts, certainly the biggest threat to the planet we must face. :roll: Think about that the next time your munching on some Wisconsin hard cheddar. :P
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:57 am

"We should be a lot harder on the Chinese, but we can't do it by ourselves,"

What multilateral entity might that be? The chicoms are rapidly becoming the world superpower. They don't give a flying fig about what any group of nations want to tell them what they should do. They are in the process of claiming that vast majority of the South China Sea as their own property. There is no multilateral entity of nations that have enough leverage today to make the chicoms do anything they do not want to do. You can believe in that pie in the sky stuff if you so choose, but it ain't gonna happen in the real world.
Bob Ross:
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:48 pm"We should be a lot harder on the Chinese, but we can't do it by ourselves,"

What multilateral entity might that be? The chicoms are rapidly becoming the world superpower. They don't give a flying fig about what any group of nations want to tell them what they should do. They are in the process of claiming that vast majority of the South China Sea as their own property. There is no multilateral entity of nations that have enough leverage today to make the chicoms do anything they do not want to do. You can believe in that pie in the sky stuff if you so choose, but it ain't gonna happen in the real world.
It almost happened - we had the TPP. Flawed, but a lot of good in there and way better than anything Trump has put forward. If we flexed enough economic muscle, made trade easier between countries other than China to source things away from them, then we could certainly put a hurting on them to reform humanitarian and environmental issues.

We need to gang up with other countries on China. We can't go it alone like Trump wants us to.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:30 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:48 pm"We should be a lot harder on the Chinese, but we can't do it by ourselves,"

It almost happened - we had the TPP. Flawed, but a lot of good in there and way better than anything Trump has put forward. If we flexed enough economic muscle, made trade easier between countries other than China to source things away from them, then we could certainly put a hurting on them to reform humanitarian and environmental issues.

We need to gang up with other countries on China. We can't go it alone like Trump wants us to.
I could not agree with you more. The only way to persuade the chicoms is to put an enormous amount of financial pressure on them. Ganging up on them would probably be the most effective way to get them to co-operate. The chicoms are not the type of folks to cave easily.
Bob Ross:
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Watching the movie classic, The Blob. The only way to suppress The Blob (formal name Donald) is to send it to an eternal freeze in the Arctic. The last line of the move is Steve MsQueen saying, “I hope it stays cold there.”

Oh boy. Looks like more bad news.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“The planet isn’t going anywhere… we are! We’re going away! Pack your shite folks! We’re going away and we won’t leave much of a trace either, thank God for that… maybe a little styrofoam… maybe… little styrofoam. The planet will be here, we’ll be long gone; just another failed mutation; just another closed-end biological mistake; an evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas, a surface nuisance.”

— George Carlin
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:33 pm

I could not agree with you more. The only way to persuade the chicoms is to put an enormous amount of financial pressure on them. Ganging up on them would probably be the most effective way to get them to co-operate. The chicoms are not the type of folks to cave easily.
Something we can all agree on. Does this not tie in to the push to get manufacturing to flourish, once again, here in the US?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:04 am

Something we can all agree on. Does this not tie in to the push to get manufacturing to flourish, once again, here in the US?
The slow boats from/to China have been a pollution problem , and I have been stating such for years.

The carbon footprint on overseas goods is enormous. The pollution is sickening. Look what we did, and continue to do, to our own country. geezbus, the Charles River in eastern Mass. STILL has untreated poop heading directly into it......still.

But........snike sneeker company gave me a million dollar endorsement. Who cares about the suicidal slave children making them. Wrong thread for THAT issue......but, where do sneeker companies get there leather from? Hemp oil?

What are Joe Bidens plans to reduce carbon emmissions?

clowns.....and you pretend support them. over and over. nothing gets done. except the money changers.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Live Free or Die!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:04 am

sure, if we can produce a particular set of goods at a lower cost with comparable quality to all competitors then we should do so. If we want to be serious about doing so, we need scale production, learning curve effects, etc to overcome labor cost advantages, and this requires serious investment and open markets beyond the limitations of the US alone.

That said, there are some industries that may well be of such strategic nature that we must pay more to have goods produced within the US. But that should be limited to truly strategic.

Return to “POLITICS”