Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Yup, and if they adopt the approach being proposed, good bye fair elections being what decides who enters office.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:45 am Racism....had a little confirmation of my thoughts about racism and military brats. Maybe this DMac adventure doesn't belong on this thread but do I care? Nope, not one little tiny bit.
Went to the gson's hockey game yesterday, they're now thirteen year olds a few of whom can play. Gson's a nice complimentary player, looks far more to pass than shoot, dishes out some nice feeds. He's not aggressive enough, doesn't have the fire in the belly to get to the cage but a decent enough player all in all. They won, 4-3, came back from 0-2, was actually a pretty entertaining game.
Was an old timer there wearing a Navy hat, so being me I went over and struck up a conversation with him. Went the usual way as to when you were in, where you went, what you did, etc. Turns out he had enlisted in '67 (draft influenced) in the nuclear power program, this is an outstanding program that not just any old shmo can get in. Stayed in for 20+ years (think he said 23) and retired. When I got to my recruiting duty part he said he had been a recruiter for a few of his years too (this was his shore duty rotation for 3 years....then back to the water). When I asked him where, he said NRD (Navy Recruiting District) Newark, NJ. Asked him when, he said 74-77. I was there from 73-77. What are the odds? We knew some of the same people, he had been at the Port Jarvis office, I was in Jersey City and Bayonne. Didn't recognize him but our paths undoubtedly crossed at the Christmas party or some other occasions when it was an all hands on deck affair.
Now to the racism part. Turns out he was a military brat too, father retired Army. I told him my thoughts about being raised on military bases which are as diverse as any place I've ever been. GIs stationed all over the world, bringing back wives. Tons of different ethnicities, mixed races, and different colors are the norm. I told him I thought people raised in these environments were far less likely to be racists and judge people by what color and how they looked than those raised in typical small town USA where everyone looks and sounds pretty much the same (this was rather shocking to me when my father retired and we moved to one of those...predominately Italian Catholic). He agreed with me 100% and knew exactly what I was saying. Don't really get to talk with many people like that with that kind of experience so it was kind of nice.
Okay, that's all I've got. Carry on with the bickering. ;)
Excellent story. It’s a small world. Most people aren’t racist but enough are. Met my friend in Livingston New Jersey last week. He moved there in 2020. His second move because of a hostile racial environment. His 12 year old son laid it out to me. It was insightful from a 12 year old. Had all the reasons why Livingston was a better community than their other homes. More diverse and a higher income level. This is a Sikh family. Father from Bombay (when it was called that). Father had to remind him that he IS American and his son said, “you know what I mean”…. Just in a matter of fact way. Very happy where they are now but watching their kid unhappy and them feeling the threat was enough to force them to move. We have been friends for over 30 years.

Racism isn’t going anywhere. Best to recognize it for what it is and work around it. I don’t care if Larry the pipe bender that lives around the corner is racist.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:27 am
Yup, and if they adopt the approach being proposed, good bye fair elections being what decides who enters office.
The very first person I ever heard talk about the potential fall or the Voting Rights Act was MLK Jr.’s attorney. This may have been 8-9 years ago. I saw him give a lecture at a university. I believe he’s at Stanford now (or was).
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:30 pm You are making his point….the Constitution protects against one to discriminate (verb)
Clearly, this is incorrect. I'm fairly sure I don't have to point this out, or give examples.
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:30 pm while racist (noun) is an individual bias that can perpetuate discriminatory action against the Constitution.
Also wrong. You can have racist policy outcomes from people, leaders, and bureaucrats who aren't racists.
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:30 pm Meaning, we have everything in place to no longer tolerate discrimination
True in the sense that yep, there's a document in place that COULD prohibit discrimination. But there's, oh, about a dozen layers of government between the person getting discriminated against and the SCOTUS....and even if it gets to the SCOTUS, there's zero guarantee that the Court will rule in favor of the person getting discriminated against.

Sowell is giving a very lightweight and naive explanation of how America works.
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:30 pm I suppose it is philosophical argument, with an intent to educate the difference between being a racist vs. acting on discriminatory behavior.
Well....he did a lousy job on all fronts, and intentionally used misdirection to not directly address the questions posed to him.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:45 am Racism....had a little confirmation of my thoughts about racism and military brats. Maybe this DMac adventure doesn't belong on this thread but do I care? Nope, not one little tiny bit.
Went to the gson's hockey game yesterday, they're now thirteen year olds a few of whom can play. Gson's a nice complimentary player, looks far more to pass than shoot, dishes out some nice feeds. He's not aggressive enough, doesn't have the fire in the belly to get to the cage but a decent enough player all in all. They won, 4-3, came back from 0-2, was actually a pretty entertaining game.
Was an old timer there wearing a Navy hat, so being me I went over and struck up a conversation with him. Went the usual way as to when you were in, where you went, what you did, etc. Turns out he had enlisted in '67 (draft influenced) in the nuclear power program, this is an outstanding program that not just any old shmo can get in. Stayed in for 20+ years (think he said 23) and retired. When I got to my recruiting duty part he said he had been a recruiter for a few of his years too (this was his shore duty rotation for 3 years....then back to the water). When I asked him where, he said NRD (Navy Recruiting District) Newark, NJ. Asked him when, he said 74-77. I was there from 73-77. What are the odds? We knew some of the same people, he had been at the Port Jarvis office, I was in Jersey City and Bayonne. Didn't recognize him but our paths undoubtedly crossed at the Christmas party or some other occasions when it was an all hands on deck affair.
Now to the racism part. Turns out he was a military brat too, father retired Army. I told him my thoughts about being raised on military bases which are as diverse as any place I've ever been. GIs stationed all over the world, bringing back wives. Tons of different ethnicities, mixed races, and different colors are the norm. I told him I thought people raised in these environments were far less likely to be racists and judge people by what color and how they looked than those raised in typical small town USA where everyone looks and sounds pretty much the same (this was rather shocking to me when my father retired and we moved to one of those...predominately Italian Catholic). He agreed with me 100% and knew exactly what I was saying. Don't really get to talk with many people like that with that kind of experience so it was kind of nice.
Did you share notes on acquiring discounted meats?

Excellent story. Moving to Los Angeles in 1979 was an eye opening experience and I loved it. I quickly found myself spending a lot of time in diverse neighborhoods soaking it all in. The people, the cultures, the FOOD! I had my largely white, preppy lacrosse pals (a great crowd), but away from them I was often working with a diverse group and I was the better for it. It’s difficult for me to spend much time in non-diverse small town America. It’s why I have spent almost my whole adult life living in big cities.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, nothing about food. Forgot to mention the guy was a submariner too...not surprising given the program he enlisted in.
Yes, the food. Where we settled you walked into someone's house and it was a pot of sauce going on, and I will say, very good sauce more often than not. Lot of Italian grandmothers stirring pots on the stove, makin' meatballs, every one had a secret ingredient not to be disclosed. I think I make a pretty darn good pot of sauce, learned a lot from those grandmothers. In military housing you're apt to walk into a variety of different things being cooked, different smells and flavors. Japanese, Filipino, German, southern foods, foods from places all over the country, it's a whole different game and I like that a lot.
Lot of different accents too. Sometimes it's hard to understand people with accents, you're exposed to a lot of them in that environment and learn to tune in. It's cool, I like that too.
I worked in the headquarters/main office in Newark the first couple of months there. Sat right across from Chief Rozul, Filipino, saint of a human being, great sense of humor. Everyone in the field had to come to that place every once in awhile, Chief Roz was one of the guys we both knew. Every time, without fail, Chief McFarland had to come there, he'd holler out, "Chief Roz, what do you call two Filipino aviators?" A pair of pliers. Filipinos just can not say Fs, comes out as Ps. Roz laughed like hell every time, shakin' his head. McFarland was a little nuts, good guy too. Roz used to bring some interesting stuff for lunch, never a balut though (thankfully).
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:21 pm Nope, nothing about food. Forgot to mention the guy was a submariner too...not surprising given the program he enlisted in.
Yes, the food. Where we settled you walked into someone's house and it was a pot of sauce going on, and I will say, very good sauce more often than not. Lot of Italian grandmothers stirring pots on the stove, makin' meatballs, every one had a secret ingredient not to be disclosed. I think I make a pretty darn good pot of sauce, learned a lot from those grandmothers. In military housing you're apt to walk into a variety of different things being cooked, different smells and flavors. Japanese, Filipino, German, southern foods, foods from places all over the country, it's a whole different game and I like that a lot.
Lot of different accents too. Sometimes it's hard to understand people with accents, you're exposed to a lot of them in that environment and learn to tune in. It's cool, I like that too.
I worked in the headquarters/main office in Newark the first couple of months there. Sat right across from Chief Rozul, Filipino, saint of a human being, great sense of humor. Everyone in the field had to come to that place every once in awhile, Chief Roz was one of the guys we both knew. Every time, without fail, Chief McFarland had to come there, he'd holler out, "Chief Roz, what do you call two Filipino aviators?" A pair of pliers. Filipinos just can not say Fs, comes out as Ps. Roz laughed like hell every time, shakin' his head. McFarland was a little nuts, good guy too. Roz used to bring some interesting stuff for lunch, never a balut though (thankfully).
👍
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:39 pm

Excellent story. Moving to Los Angeles in 1979 was an eye opening experience and I loved it. I quickly found myself spending a lot of time in diverse neighborhoods soaking it all in. The people, the cultures, the FOOD! I had my largely white, preppy lacrosse pals (a great crowd), but away from them I was often working with a diverse group and I was the better for it. It’s difficult for me to spend much time in non-diverse small town America. It’s why I have spent almost my whole adult life living in big cities.
I get wet when I think of your demonstrations of dumplings for breakfast!

If you ever come through atlanta, aside from feeling free to pop a note and let me buy you a beer/coffee, you would probably love this corridor along Buford Highway. (Little afraid it’s going to get overrun by yuppies and we will see like in the show Atlanta where Lakeith Stanfields character introduces some African rice to a white yuppie lady then he sees her a week later selling it out of a food truck in a nice part of town)

https://styleblueprint.com/everyday/whe ... d-highway/

Buford Highway: Atlanta’s International Food Mecca
Immigrants reshaped a lackluster stretch of suburban highway into one of the South's most fascinating food destinations. Here are just a few of our essential stops along Atlanta's Buford Highway.

Our list of must-try restaurants on Buford Highway would never fit into a single article. With more than 125 international restaurants within a seven-mile stretch, this culturally rich corridor provides a taste of home to immigrants from around the world while also making a name for itself as Atlanta’s ultimate destination for foodies.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:35 pm

If you ever come through atlanta, aside from feeling free to pop a note and let me buy you a beer/coffee, you would probably love this corridor along Buford Highway. (Little afraid it’s going to get overrun by yuppies and we will see like in the show Atlanta where Lakeith Stanfields character introduces some African rice to a white yuppie lady then he sees her a week later selling it out of a food truck in a nice part of town)

Immigrants reshaped a lackluster stretch of suburban highway into one of the South's most fascinating food destinations. Here are just a few of our essential stops along Atlanta's Buford Highway.

Our list of must-try restaurants on Buford Highway would never fit into a single article. With more than 125 international restaurants within a seven-mile stretch, this culturally rich corridor provides a taste of home to immigrants from around the world while also making a name for itself as Atlanta’s ultimate destination for foodies.
Buford, on its own, sounds like a place worth a visit. Never been to Atlanta but may have to plan a road trip next spring. Been watching This New House and they are currently in Atlanta. Were showing off the Beltline.

My favorite place to be in SF is Clement St in the Richmond District. Amazingly multicultural and off the tourist track. Largely Chinese, but also establishments of Japanese, Indonesian, Burmese, Korean, French, Irish, Russian and American. I used to frequent and little dim sum place for breakfast. Very busy. The ladies there loved that I not only know to order order lo mai bao, but pronoun it properly instead of asking for a sticky rice bun.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Buford, on its own, sounds like a place worth a visit. Never been to Atlanta but may have to plan a road trip next spring. Been watching This New House and they are currently in Atlanta. Were showing off the Beltline.

My favorite place to be in SF is Clement St in the Richmond District. Amazingly multicultural and off the tourist track. Largely Chinese, but also establishments of Japanese, Indonesian, Burmese, Korean, French, Irish, Russian and American. I used to frequent and little dim sum place for breakfast. Very busy. The ladies there loved that I not only know to order order lo mai bao, but pronoun it properly instead of asking for a sticky rice bun.
I can spit and hit the first area of the belt line redeveloped as it’s massive and loops the city. It has been a home run for in town development since it started before I actually got to this town from “burning down at the time” NYC. Funny thing about Atlanta is it’s two spread out worlds. Part you ask “where can I find good Asian food?” And the overly wealthy will say a Thai joint called Naan and the rest will say PF Changs/. The other half will know what’s up and say “have you heard of Buford Highway?”. I still struggle with tongue and other softer meats in my Pho though. I’m soft on foods sadly.

Spent time in the Richmond district but looong ago. Sister was in SF for 8-10yrs but been in Oakland since. She does have this absurdly awesome broke down Asian spot called (I think) Champion Gardens near her crib (9th Ave between 19th & 20th St effectively, not far off Broad Ave and “up the hill” from lake Merritt). I would explicitly make my barely out of college nephew drive me to the weed show downtown before we’d eat there then is put my game face on for buns and pork belly related dishes like I was a Samoan who’s been starved for a week.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

CU88

Post by CU88 »

adidas terminates partnership with Ye immediately

https://www.adidas-group.com/en/media/n ... mediately/
Typical Lax Dad

https://twitter.com/tilted_axis/status/ ... 51653?s=21

He’s being “cancelled”.

This is where we are in 2022. Give these people and “equal” platform.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Looks like another “yes” vote.

“A white Milwaukee man has pleaded not guilty to a criminal charge filed against him after video captured him with his hand around the neck of a Black man with special needs in a case many are calling an example of racial profiling.

Robert Walczykowski, 62, recently pleaded not guilty to a disorderly conduct misdemeanor charge after video went viral of him wrapping his hand around the neck of 24-year-old Trevon Burks, who is Black and has a disability.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -black-man
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I had a bit of a realization a few weeks back. I’m a work in progress as a human, using sources including this to leverage that asset (YA if you know the accounting of your business you’ll get the subcontractor joke)

But…I have one black kid on my sons team. He was new but picked it up quick other than I didn’t realize until late in the season he was keeping his right/dominant hand up high on stick for shots so accurate but no velocity, but for catching and GBs what I wanted and taught the new kids to the game (like 9-10 out of 16 which is very tough to run in 7s w running clock and get them all in different positions on the field each game Ive learned).

I think I ran him at middie more than anyone else and finally wondered while he is athletic “am I running this kid hard because he’s black and I presume subconsciously he’s a better athlete?”. Not sure the answer but surprised it took all season to ask myself the question. He’s quiet and picked up the basics fast so I actually ran him more hit by end of year also realized he got less attention in practice. Still a hell of a kid and improved but I thought I was giving the kids who picked it up faster and therefor assume would decline faster, and also weren’t whiny biayches or otherwise difficult, more PT and midfield is where you play it all O & D. But 3rd to last game he’s dragging a** and never complained so I gave him latitude until I saw him just balls tired and used a TO for only the third time all season for him so he wouldn’t have to sub fast.

Anyways not sure the answer but this sure speaks to why we should be more aware.

Neat thing about kid. Last game we had nasty much bigger opponent in exurbs -never had a home game all were 20-35mi away and they all had to pull 12-13yrs olds regularly in the guise of “not enough kids” but what a joke just needed to keep the kids and parents encouraged because we weren’t playing on a level field ever, probably why they liked me is I wasn’t a Tierney but wouldn’t let other parents or some of these bully pricks pull to much without being demonstrable in care of my kids-definitely yelled at other teams kids and coaches that they need to make lacrosse plays not just physical against younger smaller kids. So last game bug team just abusing us and ripped 3-4 in a short burst, we lost around 8-3 ultimately. But going into second half my kid who I had at close D early when they got that hurst was going “I want D”. Quiet all year, only time he spoke up. I never let them actually play the positions they want but let them ask. This time he got D and man…those same bigger older dbag kids want no part of mine like this one when they’re older. Think my only success was getting them to not get too down and say “f**k these dudes, they’re going to have to drag our a**es off the field well after the last whistle if they think they can run us by cheating and having every advantage and pressing their luck!”

We’re talking mid 2000s UMASS level hard.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:04 pm Racist assh*le picking on pre-teen child. Old white tough guy. :roll: :roll:
When he’s in a ALF/SNF facility and the kid is his orderly b**ch slapping him like Ben Stiller in Happy Gilmore, the physics of fairness will set in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hRke0nDRTTw
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:56 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:04 pm Racist assh*le picking on pre-teen child. Old white tough guy. :roll: :roll:
When he’s in a ALF/SNF facility and the kid is his orderly b**ch slapping him like Ben Stiller in Happy Gilmore, the physics of fairness will set in.

I just mentioned this to a guy last week. When Old Sick guys land in those spots, the fat black ladies they find so funny will be taking care of them. Even woke ones.
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:24 am

I just mentioned this to a guy last week. When Old Sick guys land in those spots, the fat black ladies they find so funny will be taking care of them. Even woke ones.
Ah, yes. Minnie’s Chocolate Pie.

Typical Lax Dad

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:08 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:24 am

Ah, yes. Minnie’s Chocolate Pie.

Two slices.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Making it easier for Black people to vote had unexpected consequences.
The Voting Rights Act of 1965, which outlawed racial discrimination in voting, is widely understood to have “ushered in a new era of Black voter participation.” But according to a new study from Duke University political scientists Nicholas Eubank and Adriane Fresh, it also had a serious unintended consequence. Section 5 of the law required certain states to “preclear” any voting-related changes with the attorney general or the D.C. District Court. In states covered by Section 5, Eubank and Fresh found that Black prison admissions rates — and the difference between Black and White admissions rates — increased more than they did in other states. That finding, they say, shows “the potentially perverse consequences of enfranchisement when establishment power seeks — and finds — other outlets of social and political control.”
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”