Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MSLAX5

Re: Recruiting

Post by MSLAX5 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:50 am
Laximus wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:11 pm
Dadlax121 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:19 pm An admittedly naive question.

If a 2026 player is now committed to a very large state school, which seems to be all in on women’s lacrosse- will fund the maximum allowed and now is currently fully funded- does the current scholarship amount she committed to (35% for example) even matter? I think if the world goes the way some suggest, rosters will be smaller but all girls will be full scholarships. Or do I have this wrong?
IMHO....Many schools already carry less than the proposed 38 already so smaller roster will be dependent on each school. As for the scholarships, it is my understanding that most schools will certainly increase their football scholarships from the current 85 to the proposed 105. Basketball already gives 14 so there is not alot to pick up there to the proposed 15. In turn due to Title 9, schools will increase womens scolarships by the same number of increased male scholarships. What sports and how many scholoarships to any given womens sports is anyones guess. I do not think many if any will increase to 38 full scholarship across the board especially when you consider more than half the girls on a D1 WLAX roster will rarely see meaningful or any minutes at all. In short, at the end of the day these athletic programs are businesses that just got hit with a huge additional variable cost. I am not aware of many businesses that pay the same wages to the receptionist as they do the CEO. As I mentioned in previous post, I think the WLAX scholarship generally speaking ends up in the 18-22 range for well funded schools which covers the 14-16 girls that play and the other top few underclassmen they are developing. It is entirely possible that some of the bigger schools may drop a mens sport or 2 to help close the gap.
i see people giving out similar advice or perspective regularly on equal scholarship offerings re: title ix. as of right now, over 90% of schools do NOT have proportional scholarships, slots, etc. to that school's student body. that is happening and has happened for decades because it's not a requirement that it is proportional. nor equal. and any increase does not have to be proportional or equal.

i'm not sure most or how many football programs will want to increase scholarships to the full amount, a number of football coaches have been interviewed and 1st blush have had reservations about it. changes of course are coming, who knows what? most of it not surprisingly will be driven by money, and school specific.

Unfortunately Title IX is really not holding much weight right now, which is really crazy. Title IX came into play in the mid 90's and a few men's D1 lax programs were dropped such as Michigan State, UNH, Butler, BC along with BU and Northeastern football. Since that time there has not been much done with Title IX. One of the lawyers NCAA Settlement complaints was Title IX, but the latest revision did not do anything to change it.
Last edited by MSLAX5 on Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdb

Post by cdb »

My discussions with the college football coaches I am familiar with showed a consensus who were not overjoyed with the increase in scholarships. Most of these coaches currently use about 25-30 walk-ons in an umber of important roles. Sometimes, one of these players will end up with sufficient talent and contribution to be offered a scholarship. We sometimes see clips of these players being awarded these scholarships on various media platforms. But the rest have always played a vital role in acting as scout teams, providing sufficient level of players for preparation to play an opponent. Point is these are players who will probably not see the field on game day -- but are very helpful in preparing for upcoming opponents in a variety of roles -- now these same players will be offered scholarships -- coaches are hesitant to determine what this means. The move "Rudy" is great drama, but that kind of player does not normally warrant a scholarship.

These times are so unsettled -- and many of the Division 1 schools are not making money in the football programs -- where will the money come to s support more scholarships in non-revenue sports? Probably one of the really well financed schools like Ohio State or Alabama, etc. will begin decide to increase their scholarships and the others will be forced to follow. Who knows: Time will tell.

Some of the major WLAX schools are currently using an endowment model and that will continue to work as coaches find families to fund individual scholarships. Also, It is now permissible to make an NIL contribution to a player of under $600 directly to the player in appreciation of effort and game play. Perhaps, that will spill over to WLAX.

I fell in love with WLAX and see it as a marketable sport -- one that is worth charging a decent amount for a ticket -- especially between two great teams. I couldn't believe the cost of a ticket is less than the cost of a cup of coffee to watch two top 10 teams do battle. Families should be given free tickets -- but folks like me should pay to watch great WLAX. I think this sport can become a revenue sport -- it is the biggest selling is the women who play it -- they are not only superb athletes, superb students, but really great examples of the type of student all colleges can be proud of -- unlike some of the athletes we see in football and some of the other men's sports.
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

If a 2026 player is now committed to a very large state school, which seems to be all in on women’s lacrosse- will fund the maximum allowed and now is currently fully funded- does the current scholarship amount she committed to (35% for example) even matter? I think if the world goes the way some suggest, rosters will be smaller but all girls will be full scholarships. Or do I have this wrong?
IMHO....Many schools already carry less than the proposed 38 already so smaller roster will be dependent on each school. As for the scholarships, it is my understanding that most schools will certainly increase their football scholarships from the current 85 to the proposed 105. Basketball already gives 14 so there is not alot to pick up there to the proposed 15. In turn due to Title 9, schools will increase womens scolarships by the same number of increased male scholarships. What sports and how many scholoarships to any given womens sports is anyones guess. I do not think many if any will increase to 38 full scholarship across the board especially when you consider more than half the girls on a D1 WLAX roster will rarely see meaningful or any minutes at all. In short, at the end of the day these athletic programs are businesses that just got hit with a huge additional variable cost. I am not aware of many businesses that pay the same wages to the receptionist as they do the CEO. As I mentioned in previous post, I think the WLAX scholarship generally speaking ends up in the 18-22 range for well funded schools which covers the 14-16 girls that play and the other top few underclassmen they are developing. It is entirely possible that some of the bigger schools may drop a mens sport or 2 to help close the gap.
i see people giving out similar advice or perspective regularly on equal scholarship offerings re: title ix. as of right now, over 90% of schools do NOT have proportional scholarships, slots, etc. to that school's student body. that is happening and has happened for decades because it's not a requirement that it is proportional. nor equal. and any increase does not have to be proportional or equal.

i'm not sure most or how many football programs will want to increase scholarships to the full amount, a number of football coaches have been interviewed and 1st blush have had reservations about it. changes of course are coming, who knows what? most of it not surprisingly will be driven by money, and school specific.
I would say that most every school currently giving the full 85 will give the additional 20. Keep in mind we are only talking POWER 3-5 conferences at this point.
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

MSLAX5 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:49 am

Unfortunately Title IX is really not holding much weight right now, which is really crazy. Title IX came into play in the mid 90's and a few men's D1 lax programs were dropped such as Michigan State, UNH, Butler, BC along with BU and Northeastern football. Since that time there has not been much done with Title IX. One of the lawyers NCAA Settlement complaints was Title IX, but the latest revision did not do anything to change it.
Title IV still holds weight and will continue as long as it exists and the NCAA is relevant (which may not be more than a few years). The primary thing the schools and NCAA fear at this point is litigation. For this reason as long as title IV exists it will hold weight and compliance will be a priority.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

One of the largest contributing factors to recent Power 5 schools adding women's lacrosse IS title 9.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

intheknow247 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 1:43 pm

One of the largest contributing factors to recent Power 5 schools adding women's lacrosse IS title 9.
100%
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

I do not know if this pertains to this topic but why are so many UPENN seniors transferring to other schools? Is it just because of team capacity?
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

they are grad students and ivy doesn't allow grad school students to compete. see this on the men's side where lots of princeton and yale guys do their final year of ncaa eligibility somewhere else.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”