Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm Did anyone see this slow down UVa in that awesome 17-16 win?
I have to go back and watch but I remember the game being something like 16-11 Virginia in the 4th when Maryland scored 4 or 5 times in the span of a few minutes, looking like they were shot out of a cannon (relative to the Hoos). Maybe they huffed some smelling salts during a TV timeout.
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:14 pm Made adjustments at halftime to make the other team run slower? I thought you were the "coaching doesn't matter" guy but now suddenly halftime coaching adjustments can make that much of a difference?
:lol: Ok, that's funny. Well done.

No....I'm saying that in my opinion, you're projecting. If your attack can't dodge in the fourth quarter "because they played a game two days ago", you're never going to win a Championship again. My opinion. And yep, sometimes your team is going to have a tough semi...and your opponent is going to be in a blowout. My opinion is that you'll be fine, but apparently, this is just me.

Injuries are different. For that? More time passed is always good. You're right. And that's a fair point.
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:14 pm Your Championship scenario isn't equivalent because the other team has *also* played a game two days prior.
I thought you said UNC played on Saturday, too. No?
UNC played Friday.

I've said since the beginning that "running out of gas," so to speak, encompasses a lot more than just the apparently debatable notion that your legs can start to tire earlier than your opponent's.

I'm just telling you what my eyes saw. We looked slow in the second half on both ends of the field. The defense, of course, yes, they were playing a ton of D, and that tires you out. But it looked to me like both physical and mental exhaustion was setting in for pretty much everyone wearing white, including things like experienced players who know better making uncharacteristic mistakes (e.g. failing to back up a shot). Reasonable minds can disagree as to the extent at which the differing timelines/intensity of previous games factored into that.
steel_hop wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:21 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:23 pm
HappyGilmore wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:15 am
OCanada wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:35 am He has a long lasting relationship w the lax team and played in title games as i recall. I read it as more of an execution than strategy issue but he can correct me if i am wrong. Player not coach
Who is “he”?
SteelHop. I was giving the resident Hop lax flack a little context
I'm pretty sure there was a post this off-season where he stated he worked in the SID.
I expect this from OC who has made a habit out of peddling conspiracy theories about me because I challenge his narrative on certain things and he doesn't like that, but I thought better of you. This is weak.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:12 pm Yes. Maryland was beat up during the late semifinal game. It took a lot out of them. Cornell played them to a standstill during the mid 3rd quarter to the end of the final game. Cornell wasn’t pushed as hard during their Rutgers game and handled the long delay differently. The late start and ending for Maryland was an issue.
Beat up and injuries is different than tired.

If you guys really think this is a problem...make noise to change the Championship to a week later.

I was never gassed playing a game two days apart. But then, I never had any serious injuries, so there's that if we're going to add injuries to the discussion.

My opinion is that there's a little bit of projection going on here, and that there's a lot more variables to a game than "they played a game two days ago".

2022------Maryland blew out Duke in a laugher in the semis. UVa beat UNC in a nail biter by a goal in a tough game.

Did anyone see this slow down UVa in that awesome 17-16 win?
Not sure it’s a problem but it’s a reality. The idea is that both teams have to turn on a short rest. Lars trains hard or Sundays in season which had UVA better prepared for a short turn. I don’t believe playing on two days rest is a monumental disadvantage but it is a factor and the more strenuous and beat up you are from the prior game, the more impactful it is (more doesn’t necessarily mean huge). Tillman talked about it after the Championship game. Also, I don’t believe Maryland plays many (if any) Tuesday games because the week off allows the team to perform at or close to peak athletic performance.
also because they're playing 12 games prior to b1g tourn.

2021 hopkins gutted out a rutgers win in the b1g tourney 2 years ago even though rutgers had almost a full week's more rest. that was a special team, though.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:59 pm 2021 hopkins gutted out a rutgers win in the b1g tourney 2 years ago even though rutgers had almost a full week's more rest.
And then what happened? Tell the rest of the story!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

look at the university getting into the merch game. Maybe we'll get one for the doyle smith cup in march as well. Blue Jay looks spiffy thanks to his jay dyer training and cordish lacrosse center station nutrition station health bars no doubt. Who says the administration does not support the program. In season merch. $30 a shirt. Charter Flights here we come.

https://collegethread.com/collections/b ... les-street
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:00 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:59 pm 2021 hopkins gutted out a rutgers win in the b1g tourney 2 years ago even though rutgers had almost a full week's more rest.
And then what happened? Tell the rest of the story!
they kept it closer than any other b1g team did the entire season 2 or 3 days later? even though umd got that extra rest also pre-tourney?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:01 pm look at the university getting into the merch game. Maybe we'll get one for the doyle smith cup in march as well. Blue Jay looks spiffy thanks to his jay dyer training and cordish lacrosse center station nutrition station health bars no doubt. Who says the administration does not support the program. In season merch. $30 a shirt. Charter Flights here we come.

That's actually a cool logo. Now we have to win on Saturday though or those shirts get sent to Africa
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:12 pm Yes. Maryland was beat up during the late semifinal game. It took a lot out of them. Cornell played them to a standstill during the mid 3rd quarter to the end of the final game. Cornell wasn’t pushed as hard during their Rutgers game and handled the long delay differently. The late start and ending for Maryland was an issue.
Beat up and injuries is different than tired.

If you guys really think this is a problem...make noise to change the Championship to a week later.

I was never gassed playing a game two days apart. But then, I never had any serious injuries, so there's that if we're going to add injuries to the discussion.

My opinion is that there's a little bit of projection going on here, and that there's a lot more variables to a game than "they played a game two days ago".

2022------Maryland blew out Duke in a laugher in the semis. UVa beat UNC in a nail biter by a goal in a tough game.

Did anyone see this slow down UVa in that awesome 17-16 win?
Not sure it’s a problem but it’s a reality. The idea is that both teams have to turn on a short rest. Lars trains hard or Sundays in season which had UVA better prepared for a short turn. I don’t believe playing on two days rest is a monumental disadvantage but it is a factor and the more strenuous and beat up you are from the prior game, the more impactful it is (more doesn’t necessarily mean huge). Tillman talked about it after the Championship game. Also, I don’t believe Maryland plays many (if any) Tuesday games because the week off allows the team to perform at or close to peak athletic performance.
also because they're playing 12 games prior to b1g tourn.

2021 hopkins gutted out a rutgers win in the b1g tourney 2 years ago even though rutgers had almost a full week's more rest. that was a special team, though.
Anyone claim the team with more rest always wins? Best team doesn’t always win. Look at the 1980 Olympic Hockey team…unless it wasn’t a miracle?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:58 pm UNC played Friday.
My mistake.
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:58 pm I've said since the beginning that "running out of gas," so to speak, encompasses a lot more than just the apparently debatable notion that your legs can start to tire earlier than your opponent's.

I'm just telling you what my eyes saw. We looked slow in the second half on both ends of the field. The defense, of course, yes, they were playing a ton of D, and that tires you out. But it looked to me like both physical and mental exhaustion was setting in for pretty much everyone wearing white, including things like experienced players who know better making uncharacteristic mistakes (e.g. failing to back up a shot). Reasonable minds can disagree as to the extent at which the differing timelines/intensity of previous games factored into that.
Yes, reasonable minds can disagree. Fair points. Particularly your previous point about injuries and recovery time.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:03 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:01 pm look at the university getting into the merch game. Maybe we'll get one for the doyle smith cup in march as well. Blue Jay looks spiffy thanks to his jay dyer training and cordish lacrosse center station nutrition station health bars no doubt. Who says the administration does not support the program. In season merch. $30 a shirt. Charter Flights here we come.

That's actually a cool logo. Now we have to win on Saturday though or those shirts get sent to Africa
It's going to be sent to upper middle class haunts around the nation wherever mckenzies and brookes and brocks are found in flocks. No date so they can keep it up there. someone is reading the forum, this is progress. just use a different design for the doyle cup and navy game ones. want them to think they're also special to us. Also they can put johns hopkins on there.

Going to guess the dixon household will buy a few. Great weekend for that family.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It looks like UMD's starting goalie is out for the season:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... jury/60707
DerArzt

Post by DerArzt »

Has Hopkins ever seriously considered dropping to Div III or III?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Not to my knowledge .

When the NCAA wanted to eliminate schools being both D1 and D3(make a choice) Hopkins was poised to go D -1A pending final approval. It would increase the athletic budget

Fortunately it was voted down after presentations by other D-3 schools in different sports
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:41 pm It looks like UMD's starting goalie is out for the season:

Sad news for this young man.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins Lacrosse Newsletter Issue 1 arrived a couple of days ago. The Chair of the Lacrosse Board is Chris Watson. Well deserved. He was integral to the team’s success when he played
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:34 am
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 pm Wait to you hear about the Final Four, where you have to play for all the marbles on two day's rest....or to help with the math, 3 games in 9 days. Against the best teams in D1.

Seem to remember Hopkins players faring quite well with the 3 games in 9 days format.
... not all games are the same in terms of causing fatigue going into a subsequent game. Hopkins also won an awful lot of those games without having two or three day "rest" practice games during the season. Personally I don't see a need for the games, or an advantage in having them, all else being equal. Now if it is a matter of difficulty in scheduling a team you want to play, that is another matter.
From an outsider's perspective?

Every game against a top team is a chance for your boys to improve. And if you look at this forum, it's pretty obvious that Milliman is on the clock. He doesn't have the time to slowly and gradually improve this team. He needs to get these players and this program better NOW.

Playing UNC instead of (insert creampuff) will get help your players get better, imho. And learn how to deal with a close game in the 4th. And maybe Milliman will learn to play a few more kids, and lengthen the bench. Whole lot of good things come out of playing UNC instead of a creampuff, if you ask me. And I know you didn't ask.

And if it's not obvious, I agree with wgdsr 100%.....I didn't play at the D1 level, but I can tell you that I played both soccer and lacrosse, starting for both programs. I NEVER got tired from having mulitiple games. It was common to play in tournaments where you played two entire soccer games per day for three days straight. Never got gassed because of that. That's what conditioning is for. And I'd like to think that Hopkins conditioning and meal program was just a tad more sophisticated and effective than it was for a soccer or lacrosse team in the 80's.

It's just like wgdsr says...what makes you gassed is sprinting for minutes on end. And it takes just a few minutes to recover. So if you think you saw gassed players in the Hop game? It was because they played too much D for minutes at a time. The fact that they played Saturday had NOTHING to do with it. I really don't think this is an opinion....I lived this. My experience is that practice was more tiring than games, because my coaches INTENTIONALLY made you run gassers...and then put you in practice-game situations to help you learn to make decisions when you're gassed.

I think what Milliman is doing with scheduling is smart. But what do I know? He could have other reasons for these decisions, and I'm just assuming intent, where there isn't any.

.... Milliman is not on any clock. The administration is perfectly happy with him and I see no evidence that the lacrosse community at Hopkins has any leverage that will effect that. I am not as wired into the program as I was at one time, but given the administrations general behavior towards the program everything is just hunky dunky. Now Milliman may be putting pressure on himself.

On the rest we will just agree to disagree. Note that is not that I am saying that the Georgetown game was the reason for their fourth quarter play. They played an awful lot of defense in the first 3 quarters. What I object to is the absolutism that athletes see and feel no effect from previous games in the way of playing games too closely together. Also object to the implication that I can't recognize a gassed team when I see one. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:30 pm .... Milliman is not on any clock. The administration is perfectly happy with him and I see no evidence that the lacrosse community at Hopkins has any leverage that will effect that. I am not as wired into the program as I was at one time, but given the administrations general behavior towards the program everything is just hunky dunky. Now Milliman may be putting pressure on himself.
I didn't think the losing seasons would be tolerated for long at Hopkins. I stand corrected.
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:30 pm On the rest we will just agree to disagree
+1
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I thought JHU played with a lot of energy. UNC was playing swarming defense. Good for JHU to experience that situation early in the season. UNC played good defense and is well coached, JHU played good defense AND is well coached too.

At the Smoker this year, I was told, Millman said that the ACC decided late to have a conference tournament, forcing UVA at least to move some Saturday games elsewhere. Further, Millman said he scheduled some other games into a 2-3 day stretch to create the experience that would simulate Championship weekend if JHU gets that far.

I really don't think that any of the posters here are more lacrosse savvy than the JHU Coaches and Players. :P

I think the BLUE looks pretty good and will be competitive all season. :)
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:44 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:30 pm .... Milliman is not on any clock. The administration is perfectly happy with him and I see no evidence that the lacrosse community at Hopkins has any leverage that will effect that. I am not as wired into the program as I was at one time, but given the administrations general behavior towards the program everything is just hunky dunky. Now Milliman may be putting pressure on himself.
I didn't think the losing seasons would be tolerated for long at Hopkins. I stand corrected.
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:30 pm On the rest we will just agree to disagree
+1

... think of Hopkins as an Ivy (not like the twentieth century unicorn it was). Just another campus of the University of US News and World Report. Now I could be surprised, but I think it unlikely. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Chitown wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:04 pm I thought JHU played with a lot of energy. UNC was playing swarming defense. Good for JHU to experience that situation early in the season. UNC played good defense and is well coached, JHU played good defense AND is well coached too.

At the Smoker this year, I was told, Millman said that the ACC decided late to have a conference tournament, forcing UVA at least to move some Saturday games elsewhere. Further, Millman said he scheduled some other games into a 2-3 day stretch to create the experience that would simulate Championship weekend if JHU gets that far.

I really don't think that any of the posters here are more lacrosse savvy than the JHU Coaches and Players. :P

I think the BLUE looks pretty good and will be competitive all season. :)
ACC is going back to having a tournament next year, this year there is no ACC tourney.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

CU88 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:57 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:41 pm It looks like UMD's starting goalie is out for the season:

Sad news for this young man.
Very tough injury. Quite unfortunate for the young man.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”