Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
AreaLax

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by AreaLax »

Former Navy defender Lily Strohecker is transferring to @PennStateWLAX, she tells @ILWomen.

Strohecker was the Class C NEPSAC Player of the Year at Holderness School in N.H.

The 2022 graduate did not play lacrosse in 2023. She played 1 year at Navy.

https://x.com/rileykennedy25/status/180 ... qERZo33csA
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:47 am Former Navy defender Lily Strohecker is transferring to @PennStateWLAX, she tells @ILWomen.

Strohecker was the Class C NEPSAC Player of the Year at Holderness School in N.H.

The 2022 graduate did not play lacrosse in 2023. She played 1 year at Navy.

Penn State picked up a great player.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:39 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:49 am
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:11 am
laxfan2889 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:02 am
BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:17 am This is another opportunity missed by the wlax community regarding increasing eyeballs on the sport. How old is that IL article now ?

This whole transfer portal is just like free agency- if the coaches are going to deal with the craziness, the game might as well use it to stir up the excitement
Last year at this time there was so much going on this forum about the portal! This forum has been quiet for 3 days :( I wish someone would come with some major developments. There must be so many Ivy players in the portal that we don’t know about.
I see it differently. The portal was largely a Covid-driven phenomenon for women’s lacrosse given the lack of money for NIL deals in the sport. Football and basketball portal activity has a money dimension that women’s lax will never have. Once the remaining ivy players Covid related eligibility ends after this year, transfers will be true injury redshirts or those very unhappy with their experience.

And for many top ivy players this year with an extra year of eligibility, they have chosen to enter the working world as their employment options are typically incredible. Women’s lax teams typically have one of the highest gpas of all ivy sports—their job options are typically excellent. Only a small fraction of ivy players choose more lacrosse over entering the workforce….

For the Ivies, many companies are happy to defer job opportunities for 12 months and allow these girls to enter with their next class of new hires. Like many decisions, I think there are multiple factors at play, employment is just one.
Your prior point is true only occasionally. Most firms to which these women are applying aren’t differing to allow for an extra year of college sporta and a one year defeee that they don’t value all that much anyway.
Corporate world occasionally. Finance and consulting rarely.

In any event, it won’t matter in another year. No more ivy eligibility….
True on the shelf life of this occurrence, but these kids typically get these jobs in the fall of their junior year. And my daughter's experience (investment banking analyst, based in NYC) was that deferring 12 months to another entering cohort was as simple as a single phone call to HR.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

BC's Lacey Downey -> Hopkins
SpartansRule

Post by SpartansRule »

laxfan2889 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:22 am
BigRedChant wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:17 am This is another opportunity missed by the wlax community regarding increasing eyeballs on the sport. How old is that IL article now ?

This whole transfer portal is just like free agency- if the coaches are going to deal with the craziness, the game might as well use it to stir up the excitement
Last year at this time there was so much going on this forum about the portal! This forum has been quiet for 3 days :( I wish someone would come with some major developments. There must be so many Ivy players in the portal that we don’t know about.
I see it differently. The portal was largely a Covid-driven phenomenon for women’s lacrosse given the lack of money for NIL deals in the sport. Football and basketball portal activity has a money dimension that women’s lax will never have. Once the remaining ivy players Covid related eligibility ends after this year, transfers will be true injury redshirts or those very unhappy with their experience.

And for many top ivy players this year with an extra year of eligibility, they have chosen to enter the working world as their employment options are typically incredible. Women’s lax teams typically have one of the highest gpas of all ivy sports—their job options are typically excellent. Only a small fraction of ivy players choose more lacrosse over entering the workforce….
I appreciate this perspective! And agree. I feel like ring chasing has also been a reason we’ve seen some transferring. I totally get that though. You know when you’re at a school that will not win a natty, so you transfer to a place with a much better chance.

I am curious why a player like Chase Boyle wouldn’t want to transfer to a program that will be a natty contender. This is no shade to Loyola at all, but just realistically they are not going to be a contender this next year, especially considering the huge talent they just lost. I understand that it is a lot to leave a program you love and all your friends, but hasn’t every player always dreamed of winning a natty? Once again, this is not shade to Loyola at all. I am curious about other people’s thoughts are on this.
What huge talent did Loyola lose?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

SpartansRule wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:42 pm

I appreciate this perspective! And agree. I feel like ring chasing has also been a reason we’ve seen some transferring. I totally get that though. You know when you’re at a school that will not win a natty, so you transfer to a place with a much better chance.

I am curious why a player like Chase Boyle wouldn’t want to transfer to a program that will be a natty contender. This is no shade to Loyola at all, but just realistically they are not going to be a contender this next year, especially considering the huge talent they just lost. I understand that it is a lot to leave a program you love and all your friends, but hasn’t every player always dreamed of winning a natty? Once again, this is not shade to Loyola at all. I am curious about other people’s thoughts are on this.
Sydni Black, Corolla, both Olmsteads, Kielmeyer, Anna Ruby. That's a lot of starters.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Former Boston College midfielder Lacey Downey is transferring to @HopkinsLacrosse, she tells @ILWomen.

Downey was the No. 10 recruit in the 2023 class.

The 5-star West Babylon (N.Y.) product posted 244 goals and 198 assists in high school.
Lax832s

Post by Lax832s »

Why are there so many transfers from schools like Xavier(11), Virginia tech(8), oregon(5), and Louisville(5). Some of these are not bad schools so I’m wondering why there’s so many players transferring. Also how will this effect recruiting with incoming classes like the 24s, 25s, and 26s.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

Lax832s wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:38 pm Why are there so many transfers from schools like Xavier(11), Virginia tech(8), oregon(5), and Louisville(5). Some of these are not bad schools so I’m wondering why there’s so many players transferring. Also how will this effect recruiting with incoming classes like the 24s, 25s, and 26s.
Because there are various problems at these schools (primarily disgruntled kids with various issues with the coaching staffs). I doubt it will affect recruiting much - there are always way more kids who want to play Division 1 lacrosse than spots available, so even if a team seems undesirable for whatever reason, there will always be kids willing to play there because they want to play Division 1 lacrosse and they don’t have a better opportunity.
Shootinducks

Post by Shootinducks »

hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:56 pm

Sydni Black, Corolla, both Olmsteads, Kielmeyer, Anna Ruby. That's a lot of starters.
Loyola under Adams and Dobbie has a long and consistent history of immediately reloading after graduating very special players. These aren’t transfers but players they have developed internally. They excel at this. No idea if that will be the case in 2025 but the track record suggests it will be.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Shootinducks wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:47 am
hmmm wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:56 pm

Loyola under Adams and Dobbie has a long and consistent history of immediately reloading after graduating very special players. These aren’t transfers but players they have developed internally. They excel at this. No idea if that will be the case in 2025 but the track record suggests it will be.
Hounds will be fine...Ruby and Corolla were 2+ year starters, Kielmeyer was a 1 year starter. Definition of internal growth.
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

Are there any other big names in the portal that we haven’t discussed yet?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Hearing Rosga visited Northwestern in the past week or so.

Can't see her finding more playing time there than at Maryland, but she does fit the mold of Amonte recruits
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:21 pm Hearing Rosga visited Northwestern in the past week or so.

Can't see her finding more playing time there than at Maryland, but she does fit the mold of Amonte recruits
Also closer to home
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Here is a list of who is in the portal

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/63570
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:54 pm Here is a list of who is in the portal

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/63570
This is too easy
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

laxfan2889 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:05 pm Are there any other big names in the portal that we haven’t discussed yet?
So do we know everyone who is in the portal basically at this point?
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

laxfan2889 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:40 pm
laxfan2889 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:05 pm Are there any other big names in the portal that we haven’t discussed yet?
So do we know everyone who is in the portal basically at this point?
And is everyone in the portal required to report back into the portal if they are actually transferring and to where?
D-Lax

Post by D-Lax »

Jenny Markey to Florida. Reunited with Regy Thorpe and Nicole Levy.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

D-Lax wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:15 pm Jenny Markey to Florida. Reunited with Regy Thorpe and Nicole Levy.
Ahh. Good landing place for her.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”