Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LaxAllStars

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by LaxAllStars »

Playing games in large empty football stadiums….

https://laxallstars.com/quints-holiday-wish-list/
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:01 am Playing games in large empty football stadiums….

i'm a RU fan and i'm not a fan of them playing in the big stadium. looks bad visually when watching on TV or online. never been to a maryland game but i'm sure it's a similar experience. i liked when RU played at Yurcak more - more lacrosse specific venues are more appealing. PSU, OSU, JHU, UM all have smaller, more visually appealing settings.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

LaxAllStars wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:01 am Playing games in large empty football stadiums….

Yes we know Q hates all thing Maryland.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:42 am

i'm a RU fan and i'm not a fan of them playing in the big stadium. looks bad visually when watching on TV or online. never been to a maryland game but i'm sure it's a similar experience. i liked when RU played at Yurcak more - more lacrosse specific venues are more appealing. PSU, OSU, JHU, UM all have smaller, more visually appealing settings.
As has been often restated here, they'd need a much larger stadium than the ones you mention. Maryland lacrosse averaged about 3.5k a game last year, but in the past for games against Hopkins and other rivalries, I've seen crowds of 15k. None of those newer & smaller facilities could fit the normal Maryland attendance, let alone the rivalry attendance - Panzer (PSU) sits 1.3k, OSU's is 2.1k, U-M is 2.0k. Not even close. Even Homewood won't work, even though it has 8.5k capacity, that's half of what's needed. Rutgers could do it - their 2023 attendance was 1.8k fyi.

They'd need a new, large lacrosse stadium and that seems to be an expensive nice to have for a non-revenue sport and not a need to have. Even though it'd be real nice to have.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:49 am

As has been often restated here, they'd need a much larger stadium than the ones you mention. Maryland lacrosse averaged about 3.5k a game last year, but in the past for games against Hopkins and other rivalries, I've seen crowds of 15k. None of those newer & smaller facilities could fit the normal Maryland attendance, let alone the rivalry attendance - Panzer (PSU) sits 1.3k, OSU's is 2.1k, U-M is 2.0k. Not even close. Even Homewood won't work, even though it has 8.5k capacity, that's half of what's needed. Rutgers could do it - their 2023 attendance was 1.8k fyi.

They'd need a new, large lacrosse stadium and that seems to be an expensive nice to have for a non-revenue sport and not a need to have. Even though it'd be real nice to have.
i figured the attendance for maryland games would be high - didn't think it was that high! they might be the only team that should stay in the stadium then.

do you happen to know what UVA or Cuse average?
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:33 am

i figured the attendance for maryland games would be high - didn't think it was that high! they might be the only team that should stay in the stadium then.

Good job calling those two out! Cuse was 1st in attendance at 4.2k a game in 2023, UVA was 2nd at 3.47k, Maryland was 3rd at 3.45k.

From this source.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

PulpExposure wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:57 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:33 am

Good job calling those two out! Cuse was 1st in attendance at 4.2k a game in 2023, UVA was 2nd at 3.47k, Maryland was 3rd at 3.45k.

From this source.
thanks man!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Another Quintbait Kessenich special.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Seems like the Hopkins game is the only one where Byrd gets more than 7k. If there was funding for it, they could build a more appropriately sized lacrosse stadium for most games, but then still play the Hopkins game at Byrd for the larger capacity. If there isn't funding/interest in a new stadium, that's one thing, but it seems silly to hold back the creation of a more fitting venue for most of their games just because of a single contest that's played in College Park once every two years. Like, that alone should absolutely not prevent UMD from building a new stadium if it wanted to. It's not just Quint saying this btw, it's a pretty popular opinion that games played in mostly empty football stadiums make for a bad TV experience, which is how the vast majority of people watch these games.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Officially announcement for Mike Phipps

https://umterps.com/news/2023/12/21/men ... tant-coach
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

10k would be perfect. You’d be under sizing the Hopkins game a *little* bit but as HF16 said, you can always play that in the football stadium anyway as there’s nothing else going on there. Other than that the big games sit at 6-7k. There hasn’t been a non-Hopkins game that got even 10k in years. If they can build a 10k seat stadium, they should do it.

However, it’s not as easy as just “hey let’s build a stadium” and from everything we’ve heard, it’s probably not feasible at this moment in time. Honestly I think later in the year when the weather warms up and you get 5k+ people in there for games, it’s a pretty good environment anyway. But obviously more intimate would be better.

Anyhow, it’s a recycled talking point Quint breaks out when he has no clue what to write about. Who cares
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Yes! Who cares. Richmond has a nice smaller venue. See you there! If Loyola game weather is decent I expect an excellent crowd.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

That little guy is the old Billy Packer of lacrosse, without the achievements and gravitas of Billy Packer. Angry old fun-killer of a kid's game. Time to move on and let positive, interesting guys like Mitchell Pehlke take over.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I've got a plan, guys! Let's just ask Steve Biscotti to chip in $70M to build a lacrosse stadium. Come on, Steve. It's not that big of an ask. Sell your yacht and send the proceeds to College Park. Easy-peasy!

We'll then let Quint design it so he won't have anything to complain about after. He can even tell Maryland where to put the cameras so the angles are just right. Then he can work the journalism school to train the college students on how to be better broadcasters on the BTN+ streams.

Surely, then Quint would be happy and stop trolling Terps' fans. Surely....right?!

Credit to the Lax Allstar corporate poster for popping in to drop that link and the quote. Well done. Well done, indeed.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Wheels wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:29 pm I've got a plan, guys! Let's just ask Steve Biscotti to chip in $70M to build a lacrosse stadium. Come on, Steve. It's not that big of an ask. Sell your yacht and send the proceeds to College Park. Easy-peasy!

We'll then let Quint design it so he won't have anything to complain about after. He can even tell Maryland where to put the cameras so the angles are just right. Then he can work the journalism school to train the college students on how to be better broadcasters on the BTN+ streams.

Surely, then Quint would be happy and stop trolling Terps' fans. Surely....right?!

Credit to the Lax Allstar corporate poster for popping in to drop that link and the quote. Well done. Well done, indeed.
Now that he can't troll about Tillman using stall ball anymore or him using the iPad, this is his new line. But just wait until everybody else chimes in if he doesn't shake Kevin Conry's hand long enough this year after their game in Ann Arbor ends :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jff97 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:19 pm
Wheels wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:29 pm I've got a plan, guys! Let's just ask Steve Biscotti to chip in $70M to build a lacrosse stadium. Come on, Steve. It's not that big of an ask. Sell your yacht and send the proceeds to College Park. Easy-peasy!

Now that he can't troll about Tillman using stall ball anymore or him using the iPad, this is his new line. But just wait until everybody else chimes in if he doesn't shake Kevin Conry's hand long enough this year after their game in Ann Arbor ends :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know who I never hear the ESPN guys taking shots at? Kevin Corrigan.

Corrigan is the guy who refuses to do obligated media after his teams lose. Sorest of sore losers. After ND beat Maryland in College Park last season, people in the press box were like "well, at least Corrigan will talk to us now." Media at games in the NCAA tournament literally joke about it. No other coach in the ACC acts this way. Even Nick Myers at OSU doesn't behave this way even after he behaves that way on the field. Hell, even Petro handled losses better than Corrigan.

Guys like Dino and Lars are gracious win or lose. Charlie Toomey is as intense as any coach you'll see, but he doesn't take his ball and leave when things don't go Loyola's way. Tills will literally bend over backwards post-game to give the opponent all the credit for their wins even if the Terps threw the ball away 20 times.

But corporate partners need to carry corporate water. It's only going to get worse as college football continues to force conference realignment based on TV networks. ESPN will have to tout ESPN properties. Since ESPN airs more lacrosse than any other network, their crews will tote the company ball.
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Crying Corrigan! While all coaches complain about calls Corrigan is on another level. Tierney has some competition
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Malever getting in some holiday break gym workouts. Can’t wait to see him on the field this season

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1hnEe4u ... JweHRjaQ==
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

For those watching the UT-UW game, Ethan Burke for UT (#91) was a onetime Maryland lacrosse commit as a midfielder.

Him, Dante Trader, Henry Hassleback, and Bryson Shaw were all lacrosse commitments. I'm probably missing one or two others.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Happy NewYears!
25 days until the scrimmage with Georgetown

Now who will wear #1?

Who will be the starter?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”