Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxGnome22

Re: Transfer portal

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:51 pm Where is Lopinto most likely to go. She is obviously visiting several schools.
I thought Loyola was a lock. Apparently not anymore.
BallDown

Post by BallDown »

"While Nicole has left Chapel Hill to play at USC next year, Ashley is currently in the transfer portal. Is Chloe actively recruiting her sister?

“We have something going on, so we’ll see about that,” Chloe said. “But I’m hoping that she becomes a Tar Heel next year.”"

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... arien-conn
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Rutgers grad transfer Meghan Ball has verballed to Maryland
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:12 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:47 pm
TNLAX wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:34 pm Vanderbilt is a fully funded program, 12 scholarships.

I know the program well, had a daughter who was heavily recruited out of HS, the usual top 5 programs all offered her spots and scholarship money. But she was not interested in attending a large state university and Vanderbilt checked all the boxes she wanted for a school. She went on to an excellent college career by ever measurable metric, on and off the field. She looks back on her college experience and has not a single regret.

I also know, first hand of 5 or 6 real good HS players, from top HS programs, who wanted to attend Vanderbilt the past 5 years and the coaches showed no interest in them. Know their families well and know they were qualified academically, athletically and know money wasn't an issue. All of these girls ended up at top 20 programs and all were starters and significant contributors to their teams. They would have been difference makers at Vanderbilt and Vanderbilt would have surely had a lot more W's if these young women were on the roster.

I don't think the coaching staff at Vanderbilt is very strong as far as developing players. I agree with Larry that the program is stuck and not getting better. The school is a real good one in a real fun city. I scratch my head often and wonder why they don't have more success on the field, but then I say, why do I really care. My daughter went there to receive a top notch education and mature and learn and help get a firm foundation for her future. She accomplished all of those and I am very proud of the young women she is.

In my simple world there is a lot more to college sports than winning championships. Maybe I am old school :)
Thanks for this. Good perspective and good post.
+1

Excellent perspective TNLAX, and congrats on a successful college experience.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

BallDown wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:35 pm "While Nicole has left Chapel Hill to play at USC next year, Ashley is currently in the transfer portal. Is Chloe actively recruiting her sister?

“We have something going on, so we’ll see about that,” Chloe said. “But I’m hoping that she becomes a Tar Heel next year.”"

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... arien-conn
I read that and wondered the same thing!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:28 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:12 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:47 pm
TNLAX wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:34 pm Vanderbilt is a fully funded program, 12 scholarships.

I know the program well, had a daughter who was heavily recruited out of HS, the usual top 5 programs all offered her spots and scholarship money. But she was not interested in attending a large state university and Vanderbilt checked all the boxes she wanted for a school. She went on to an excellent college career by ever measurable metric, on and off the field. She looks back on her college experience and has not a single regret.

I also know, first hand of 5 or 6 real good HS players, from top HS programs, who wanted to attend Vanderbilt the past 5 years and the coaches showed no interest in them. Know their families well and know they were qualified academically, athletically and know money wasn't an issue. All of these girls ended up at top 20 programs and all were starters and significant contributors to their teams. They would have been difference makers at Vanderbilt and Vanderbilt would have surely had a lot more W's if these young women were on the roster.

I don't think the coaching staff at Vanderbilt is very strong as far as developing players. I agree with Larry that the program is stuck and not getting better. The school is a real good one in a real fun city. I scratch my head often and wonder why they don't have more success on the field, but then I say, why do I really care. My daughter went there to receive a top notch education and mature and learn and help get a firm foundation for her future. She accomplished all of those and I am very proud of the young women she is.

In my simple world there is a lot more to college sports than winning championships. Maybe I am old school :)
Thanks for this. Good perspective and good post.
+1

Excellent perspective TNLAX, and congrats on a successful college experience.
Piling on, excellent post +1000
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Should sorta be at that point where the transfers are done for the upcoming season. Grad school welcome packages mostly sent out. Heard rumors of a couple of big names moving that have not been on this board yet. Anyone have any more concrete news?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Dasher wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:49 am Should sorta be at that point where the transfers are done for the upcoming season. Grad school welcome packages mostly sent out. Heard rumors of a couple of big names moving that have not been on this board yet. Anyone have any more concrete news?

Ashley Humphrey and Emma LoPinto are the big ones left who have yet to make an announcement. Originally i heard LoPinto was all but Loyola bound but there's been alot of smoke pointing to Maryland as of late. No clear signs from Ashley Humphrey herself but her activities on social media and her sisters comments show a UNC lean. But for that to happen they'll have to make room for her because they are already kinda crowded. The only top lax programs she follows on social media are UNC men and women's lax.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Lindsey frank from Richmond doing a fifth year at northwestern for both lacrosse and field hockey. Not sure if any of you follow her closely, but she is a phenomenal athlete. She could be the next Hailey rhatigan for them.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Becky Browndorf (grad defender) from Florida to BC.

Also, though I haven't seen any independent media, I have on good authority Mackenzie Rich from UNC to Syracuse. Low righty attack can fill it up and could plug in nicely to the gap left by Carney. Add Muchnik to the midfield/D, the Orange got better this summer.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Mackenzie Rich's instagram says Cuse lax
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:44 am Lindsey frank from Richmond doing a fifth year at northwestern for both lacrosse and field hockey. Not sure if any of you follow her closely, but she is a phenomenal athlete. She could be the next Hailey rhatigan for them.
That's awesome! A chance to win 2 Nattys in the same year. NU was runner up in FH last year.
lacrosselaxin20

Post by lacrosselaxin20 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/61788
Rachel Clark!!
Hope she doesn’t settle down in College Park😬 they could use her though👏🏻
jff97

Post by jff97 »

lacrosselaxin20 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:57 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/61788
Rachel Clark!!
Hope she doesn’t settle down in College Park😬 they could use her though👏🏻
I'm guessing this has to do with the coaching change. Maybe she can be convinced to stay in Charlottesville. The only other team she follows on IG is UNC, so do with that information what you will.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Seems like a lot of action in the portal right now. UMD needs to snag a good attacker or 2 and they could be a top 5 team. If Loyola snags LoPinto they could break into the top 5 too. Clemson has also grabbed a handful of transfers again.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Clark would look good in BC maroon and gold. :D
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Rachel Clark is one of my fav players in the sport. I feel like i'm the only person that hypes up how good she is..An absolute load when she's coming at defenders full speed with her size. Earlier this year I mentioned that she might transfer (along with Ashley Humphrey) and i received alot of pushback. I think by now everyone needs to accept the fact that if you're star level player on a mediocre team, the prospect of transferring is very attractive. Alot of these girls were overlooked and not recruited by big programs so when they ball out in college, so many doors open and they want to take advantage and fullfill their dreams of realistically competing for a championship. NIL opportunities are also way better. Olivia Dirks who's good, not great (compared to what she used to be) makes bank at UNC in NIL deals. She's not getting that if she was still at Penn State
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Dirks makes bank? From what deals ?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:50 pm Rachel Clark is one of my fav players in the sport. I feel like i'm the only person that hypes up how good she is..An absolute load when she's coming at defenders full speed with her size. Earlier this year I mentioned that she might transfer (along with Ashley Humphrey) and i received alot of pushback. I think by now everyone needs to accept the fact that if you're star level player on a mediocre team, the prospect of transferring is very attractive. Alot of these girls were overlooked and not recruited by big programs so when they ball out in college, so many doors open and they want to take advantage and fullfill their dreams of realistically competing for a championship. NIL opportunities are also way better. Olivia Dirks who's good, not great (compared to what she used to be) makes bank at UNC in NIL deals. She's not getting that if she was still at Penn State
I usually agree with a lot of your posts but on Clark and Humphrey I think you are off. Not that they entered the portal. But because you assume that the main reason they did so is that the programs they attended weren’t good enough for them. Neither of these girls were overlooked. They were TOP recruits. They had their choice of top 10 programs and chose uva and Stanford respectively. Clark entered the portal only after her coach changed. And Humphrey right before her senior year. Unless you have actual information about why they chose to enter the portal, all you have is speculation.
And to suggest that uva and Stanford are mediocre programs is ridiculous. Mediocre means average. Which is 60th ranking.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:09 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:50 pm Rachel Clark is one of my fav players in the sport. I feel like i'm the only person that hypes up how good she is..An absolute load when she's coming at defenders full speed with her size. Earlier this year I mentioned that she might transfer (along with Ashley Humphrey) and i received alot of pushback. I think by now everyone needs to accept the fact that if you're star level player on a mediocre team, the prospect of transferring is very attractive. Alot of these girls were overlooked and not recruited by big programs so when they ball out in college, so many doors open and they want to take advantage and fullfill their dreams of realistically competing for a championship. NIL opportunities are also way better. Olivia Dirks who's good, not great (compared to what she used to be) makes bank at UNC in NIL deals. She's not getting that if she was still at Penn State
I usually agree with a lot of your posts but on Clark and Humphrey I think you are off. Not that they entered the portal. But because you assume that the main reason they did so is that the programs they attended weren’t good enough for them. Neither of these girls were overlooked. They were TOP recruits. They had their choice of top 10 programs and chose uva and Stanford respectively. Clark entered the portal only after her coach changed. And Humphrey right before her senior year. Unless you have actual information about why they chose to enter the portal, all you have is speculation.
And to suggest that uva and Stanford are mediocre programs is ridiculous. Mediocre means average. Which is 60th ranking.
By your definition UVA is a mediocre program in the best lacrosse conference. They will be stuck battling it out with Clemson, Duke, and VT for the middle of the pack in the ACC. And with this have no guarantee of making the NCAA tourney. So, if winning a National title is important to her and a better opportunity comes up for Clark no one can really blame her for moving on. If VT can get better production from their attackers this coming season I like them as the best VA team in the ACC.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”