Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Recruiting

Post by Kleizaster »

njbill wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:18 pm I’ve seen three of the top 10 and five of the top 20 a number of times each, plus a handful of the others further down the list.

Of the 2023s I’ve seen, Chloe is clearly the best. As usual with lists of this nature, there are some head scratchers.
I think this class will be very devisive going forward. Covid had the biggest impact on this class and evaluations seem all over the place. Outside Humphrey and 2 or 3 other players in the top 10, you can swap out the "watchlist" kids and the other ranked kids and there will be little difference in terms of talent.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t know about Covid having the biggest impact on the 2023s. The 2020s lost their senior year. The 2021s lost their junior year and had their senior year truncated. The 2022s lost their sophomore year and had their junior year truncated.

I wouldn’t say the spring 2022 season was completely back to normal, but it was much closer to that than the 2021 season.

If I had to pick one class as the one most impacted by Covid, I would choose the 2022s. They lost their high school spring season prior to their September 1 recruiting date. Plus their summer of 2020 club season was very much impacted. Just local tournaments that were glorified play days. None of the usual big recruiting tournaments.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

2022s got it the worst. Coaches took smaller classes due to returners and uncertainty. Players outside of hot beds where it was even more difficult to see players live (and when travel for tournaments was very difficult) had an even harder time. The top girls fared well. Those further down the line had many fewer choices.

The 2023 class looked far more normal in terms of placement from my vantage point.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

The 2023 class had fewer reported commits than the 2022 class per LaxNumbers. So I’m not sure which class had it worse. Both definitely were impacted. Interesting to see the 2022s had more commits than 2021. Also interesting to see the small 2024 numbers so far. Don’t know how accurate the data are, but it’s what I found when I did a search as of this evening.

Women's 2024 (1188)
Women's 2023 (2460)
Women's 2022 (2937)
Women's 2021 (2790)
Women's 2020 (3401)
njbill

Post by njbill »

Looks like you used laxnumbers, which is the site I most frequently use. But they are (usually) beholden to the recruits reporting their commitments. There are other sites, of course, that list recruits and commitments, but their search capabilities aren’t as good which is why I usually go to laxnumbers first.

If I am looking up players individually, I generally find their commitments reported on laxnumbers, but not always.

Using this past fall as an example, in the first few weeks, when the reported commitments were still rather small, I thought inside lacrosse ran ahead of laxnumbers. I didn’t look at that in depth, but that was just my feeling after checking both sites a few times in the latter part of September.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Anyone know anything about the Lacrosse Magazine (LM) site? I know it was a lacrosse blog /site that provided watchlists for different recruiting classes for men's and women's lacrosse. Was popular among recruits. There was no information about who runs it. there still isn't. I remember stumbling on the site a few years back and being impressed because they had identified top players way before Inside lacrosse did. They stopped being active on social media and updating the site for like 3 years until the beginning of this year when i started to see some buzz among recruits reposting their stuff. Now it appears they have a new site under construction. Are they building to try to compete with inside lacrosse? possible
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 pm Anyone know anything about the Lacrosse Magazine (LM) site? I know it was a lacrosse blog /site that provided watchlists for different recruiting classes for men's and women's lacrosse. Was popular among recruits. There was no information about who runs it. there still isn't. I remember stumbling on the site a few years back and being impressed because they had identified top players way before Inside lacrosse did. They stopped being active on social media and updating the site for like 3 years until the beginning of this year when i started to see some buzz among recruits reposting their stuff. Now it appears they have a new site under construction. Are they building to try to compete with inside lacrosse? possible
No idea but I'd welcome it. Would definitely be good to have another site with recruiting rankings. Part of the reason the 247 Sports Composite has become the go to ranking for recruiting in football and men's basketball is it aggregates the three big recruiting sites (247, Rivals, ESPN). That way if one site is high on a player and another isn't, it evens out.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:04 pm Anyone know anything about the Lacrosse Magazine (LM) site? I know it was a lacrosse blog /site that provided watchlists for different recruiting classes for men's and women's lacrosse. Was popular among recruits. There was no information about who runs it. there still isn't. I remember stumbling on the site a few years back and being impressed because they had identified top players way before Inside lacrosse did. They stopped being active on social media and updating the site for like 3 years until the beginning of this year when i started to see some buzz among recruits reposting their stuff. Now it appears they have a new site under construction. Are they building to try to compete with inside lacrosse? possible
Recruits will post anything that ranks them. Lacrosse magazine is a bit strange in that 1) it’s not a magazine and is not in any way affiliated with the Lacrosse Magazine that did exist back in the day and 2) allows players to submit their own name and accolades for ranking purposes. To my knowledge there is no staff that actually watches games to come up with these rankings.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

hmmm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:12 pm
There are clearly players that stand out above others, but these lists are subjective, influenced by the the name of the school they commit to, who the players and parents know, and how far the player and parents are willing to market the player. You can swap names in and out of that list and the quality would not change much.

Recruits will post anything that ranks them. Lacrosse magazine is a bit strange in that 1) it’s not a magazine and is not in any way affiliated with the Lacrosse Magazine that did exist back in the day and 2) allows players to submit their own name and accolades for ranking purposes. To my knowledge there is no staff that actually watches games to come up with these rankings.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:34 am
njbill wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:18 pm I’ve seen three of the top 10 and five of the top 20 a number of times each, plus a handful of the others further down the list.

Of the 2023s I’ve seen, Chloe is clearly the best. As usual with lists of this nature, there are some head scratchers.
I think this class will be very devisive going forward. Covid had the biggest impact on this class and evaluations seem all over the place. Outside Humphrey and 2 or 3 other players in the top 10, you can swap out the "watchlist" kids and the other ranked kids and there will be little difference in terms of talent.
Agreed 100 percent on the random walk of which of the top 100 ranked recruits will have ANY impact on the college game, let alone an immediate one. The top 20 d1 program benches are FULL of underarmour senior all Americans who never see the field. For their own sake, every participant in the senior underarmour game should be told “congrats on a great high school career and enjoy this celebration of what you have accomplished in high school. But if you don’t get significantly better and work hard over the next four years, it’s very likely you will never see the field in college. Because everyone is good and there are 300 more girls we could have added to this game who aren’t here who are just like you.” But that speech isn’t part of the hype machine, so the kids and more importantly their parents have unrealistic expectations about the college experience. Whenever I see a lax media outlet talk about the immediate impact that so and so is going to have on (fill in top 20 program), I roll my eyes. The place they are most likely to have an instant impact is carrying the ball bags, cones and speaker to the bus….
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:18 am
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:34 am

Agreed 100 percent on the random walk of which of the top 100 ranked recruits will have ANY impact on the college game, let alone an immediate one. The top 20 d1 program benches are FULL of underarmour senior all Americans who never see the field. For their own sake, every participant in the senior underarmour game should be told “congrats on a great high school career and enjoy this celebration of what you have accomplished in high school. But if you don’t get significantly better and work hard over the next four years, it’s very likely you will never see the field in college. Because everyone is good and there are 300 more girls we could have added to this game who aren’t here who are just like you.” But that speech isn’t part of the hype machine, so the kids and more importantly their parents have unrealistic expectations about the college experience. Whenever I see a lax media outlet talk about the immediate impact that so and so is going to have on (fill in top 20 program), I roll my eyes. The place they are most likely to have an instant impact is carrying the ball bags, cones and speaker to the bus….
^^true words^^

daughter's own experience was on the fringe of the hype train...always getting "player to watch" by the IL's of the lax world. landed at her choice of top 20 school and worked her ass off. Came in with a class of 4 UA AA's. 2 of those freshmen started with her in their first games. 1 was a back up goalie for 2 years and 1 didn't see the field a lot.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

How are IL's top 50 incoming freshmen doing so far this season? I think I'll do this in multiple parts with another being a midseason report and the last being an end of season recap. Ofcourse, there are alot of factors that go into this. The main one being playing time as most of these players simply haven't had a sniff of the field. To simplify it, i just looked at pure stats. How many points do they have total. From that i looked at players who have had atleast 3 points so far this season.

North Carolina:
5 freshmen (Marissa White-11pts, Kiley Mottice-3pts, Darcy Felter-3pts, Kaleigh Harden-3pts, Caroline Godine-3pts)

Michigan:
1 Freshman (CiCi Stein-4pts)

Hofstra:
1 Freshman (Nikki Mannella-17pts)

that's it. If you expand the list to 2 pts you'll get a few more players but still not many. Madison Taylor of NW and few other players who were given 4-star status but not ranked top 50 have 3+ points as well. Granted most of these players will eventually go on to have great college careers but this goes to show how hard it is to break through as a freshman in the women's game. Alot of really good talent riding the bench and the covid rule certainly did them no favors.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I think this is also a commentary on the list and the ranking process. Sometimes the hype machine takes on a life of its own. Brigid Duffy seems to be off to quite a good start … and there are others. Angello at Hopkins. Kaylee Dwyer at Michigan. Not sure if they made the IL list, but certainly making ah impact.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:42 pm I think this is also a commentary on the list and the ranking process. Sometimes the hype machine takes on a life of its own. Brigid Duffy seems to be off to quite a good start … and there are others. Angello at Hopkins. Kaylee Dwyer at Michigan. Not sure if they made the IL list, but certainly making ah impact.

For sure. Earlier in this thread, I seem to recall a wise (and good-looking) poster suggested the first 2 mentioned here be added to the IL list. Love seeing all the youth having success!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm How are IL's top 50 incoming freshmen doing so far this season? I think I'll do this in multiple parts with another being a midseason report and the last being an end of season recap. Ofcourse, there are alot of factors that go into this. The main one being playing time as most of these players simply haven't had a sniff of the field. To simplify it, i just looked at pure stats. How many points do they have total. From that i looked at players who have had atleast 3 points so far this season.

North Carolina:
5 freshmen (Marissa White-11pts, Kiley Mottice-3pts, Darcy Felter-3pts, Kaleigh Harden-3pts, Caroline Godine-3pts)

Michigan:

Hofstra:

that's it. If you expand the list to 2 pts you'll get a few more players but still not many. Madison Taylor of NW and few other players who were given 4-star status but not ranked top 50 have 3+ points as well. Granted most of these players will eventually go on to have great college careers but this goes to show how hard it is to break through as a freshman in the women's game. Alot of really good talent riding the bench and the covid rule certainly did them no favors.
Looks like UNC getting a heck of a lot out of their youngsters...big days yesterday too right?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:55 am
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:20 pm How are IL's top 50 incoming freshmen doing so far this season? I think I'll do this in multiple parts with another being a midseason report and the last being an end of season recap. Ofcourse, there are alot of factors that go into this. The main one being playing time as most of these players simply haven't had a sniff of the field. To simplify it, i just looked at pure stats. How many points do they have total. From that i looked at players who have had atleast 3 points so far this season.

North Carolina:

Michigan:

Hofstra:

Looks like UNC getting a heck of a lot out of their youngsters...big days yesterday too right?
The UNC freshman are not only getting significant playing time, it they are stepping up and making meaningful contributions. This freshman class reminds me a lot of the UNC class who graduated last year. So many of those girls from the 2017 graduating HS class made impacts their freshman year.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

North Carolina:

Michigan:

Hofstra:

for sure. Normally you don't see this level of contribution from 1 freshman..especially on a top team let alone 5 freshmen. The jump from high school to college is huge.
This could just be a flash in the pan and UNC scored a historic coup in this recruiting class. Either way, it's terrifying. Top high school players take notice of all this. You can gauge interest by the camps they choose to attend.

Every player in the top 25 has been on UNC's campus atleast once already. Levy will get her picks in the 2025 class. I've heard that she's closed the gap on the Spallina girl, who at one point was a Cuse lock. That's a three team battle. As if Levy needs another #1 player..
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:04 pm

North Carolina:

Michigan:

Hofstra:

for sure. Normally you don't see this level of contribution from 1 freshman..especially on a top team let alone 5 freshmen. The jump from high school to college is huge.
This could just be a flash in the pan and UNC scored a historic coup in this recruiting class. Either way, it's terrifying. Top high school players take notice of all this. You can gauge interest by the camps they choose to attend.

Every player in the top 25 has been on UNC's campus atleast once already. Levy will get her picks in the 2025 class. I've heard that she's closed the gap on the Spallina girl, who at one point was a Cuse lock. That's a three team battle. As if Levy needs another #1 player..
UNC's freshman class is definitely talented, but I think we also need to acknowledge just how much opportunity there was for them this year. It's similar to the HS class of '17 that Levy compared the current class to. Ortega, Mastroianni, Growney, Wood, & Trenchard came in as Holman, Davis, Tracy, Reed, Hendrick, & Auslander left. Yes, there are still returning upperclassmen, hungry to expand their roles to compete with, but it's not the same as competing with a 3-4 year starter.

I'm not saying this to minimize the accomplishments of UNC's freshman class so far, the amount of starting spots available to them isn't something they can control, but as something to consider when you compare their success with the success of freshmen on other teams and use that to draw conclusions about player rankings or a player's talent.

I might have missed something, but when/why was Alexa Spallina a "Cuse lock"?
jff97

Post by jff97 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:43 pm

I might have missed something, but when/why was Alexa Spallina a "Cuse lock"?
I think it's been assumed that because one of her older brother is there and another one is headed there next year, she would follow the same path.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I saw the Spallina girl at the Delta Sonic car wash a few days back. Lotta cars in the Cuse go through there. She and her friends got out of the car and went in the store while Mom went through the wash. Girls got themselves candy bars and Mountain Dew. The Spallina girl had a Cuse Women's Lacrosse 2024, blue, orange letters, sweatshirt/hoodie on. Pretty darn sure it was her.
She's a lock...comin' to Cuse.
Last edited by DMac on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”