StM
10%
StP
7%

Total votes: 103

Slim

Re: MIAA A Conference

Post by Slim »

Well, the Crusaders really s%#& the bed yesterday. The wheels completely came off in the 1st half. Playing a zone against this Cards team was a mistake. They picked it apart. Not sure what the staff was thinking on that one.

I would agree that everyone in the league is playing for 2nd place at this point. CHC is the most dominant team in the league since the 1997 BL team. They are deep top to bottom, coming at opponents in waves, dominate faceoffs, have solid goalie play, and the defense gets stronger with each game. It's going to take a Herculean effort to beat them, but never say never right.

Let's see what the playoffs bring before we anoint them as the chosen ones.

On another note, how about the Spalding Cavaliers! Coach Phipps has worked very hard to build this program and yesterday had to feel good, especially knocking off a program like BL and his good friend BF.

Gonna be a great stretch run to see how the playoffs shake down.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If we were betting men, we'd also put our money on CHC. But not all our money. If McDonogh beat CHC, jaws would not drop.
Raescreek

Post by Raescreek »

ultimatelaxbro wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:35 am
viper wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 am
admin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 pm It was CHC's day today. It won't be their day every day.
Given their depth, I think right now CHC would really have to not show up for another MIAA team to knock them off right now. However, I don't disagree with that statement after graduation. :)
Seems to me they are trying to make a statement so that everyone is afraid to face them in the playoffs. Demoralize in the regular season so that when you step on the field in the playoffs the game is already decided mentally.
I think CHC is just deeper. They have to call off the dogs in almost every game and if anything, Coach Kelly has avoided embarrassing other teams. I don't think that it's any mistake that CHC was up 15-2 at halftime yesterday and only scored 1 goal in the second half. Yes, I think they were shooting to score, but clearly he slowed them up. These kids are high schoolers afterall, and they will have a down day, whether it's in the regular season or in the playoffs. The Loyola game could be the hiccup. Loyola is always going to give CHC their best...
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

Haverford's Nostrant to take over at Gilman according to IL. The program should be in good hands under his leadership.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MPSSAAlaxfan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 am Haverford's Nostrant to take over at Gilman according to IL. The program should be in good hands under his leadership.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MdLaxfan needs to get in on this. This would be massive news
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Has Brooks Matthews said what he's doing in 2020?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

St Mary’s beats Annapolis 17-9.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

MPSSAAlaxfan wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:56 am Haverford's Nostrant to take over at Gilman according to IL. The program should be in good hands under his leadership.
Good news for Gilman & the league. Now, where are the players coming from?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

admin wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 am If we were betting men, we'd also put our money on CHC. But not all our money. If McDonogh beat CHC, jaws would not drop.
McD has not been the same team from early season lately. Not sure what’s going on in Owings Mills. Eagles have looked sluggish and unathletic at times. They have the talent on paper to compete. Especially with a fogo who can get hot. Here’s hoping they can get in gear for the playoffs.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Kramer, it's true. They haven't looked like a team that beats Culver. But... Isn't this the case every season. It's little different than the D1 Men. The perennial powers lose to High Point and Colgate and whomever and walk into the play-offs with a lower seed than you expected and then.... They turn into a completely different animal.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:02 am

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MdLaxfan needs to get in on this. This would be massive news
Accurate, announced officially this afternoon to the Gilman community.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:21 am
Good news for Gilman & the league. Now, where are the players coming from?
😎
Well, I would hope that we don’t emulate the super aggressive recruiting we are seeing from some of our competitors.

Seriously, I suspect that this will be perceived in the community as a very significant commitment and an opportunity for a fresh outlook. That may well attract the couple of extra kids a year that can make all the difference. I think Nostrant also has been highly active in the club scene, which may send a message as well.

On a separate topic, I had the pleasure of meeting the new head football coach last Saturday, and had a very interesting casual conversation that included Alex Sotir and others. I was quite impressed; would love to be a player for him. Implications for Gilman lax was that he’s interested in recruiting multi sport guys, like lax, and will be encouraging them, not pressuring them to put football first. Positive for my other sport, wrestling, as well, as he wants his big guys wrestling rather than indoor track.

Sounds like he’s got some terrific freshmen coming in next fall.
Slim

Post by Slim »

The final Friday of the regular season is upon us. Still 6 teams jockeying for 5 seeds. CHC locked in as #1 and distancing themselves from the pack with each game. They are a powerhouse!

Predictions for today;
1. Loyola @ StP - It's the Crusaders homecoming, and they will welcome back the Alums with a resounding W over the sputtering Dons. StP by 5, 11-6.

2. CHC @ Spalding - Spalding got their big W and will have a hangover game today vs. the top-ranked Cards. CH in a blowout, 15-5.

3. McD @ Severn - Eagles continue their comeback march to the playoffs with a convincing W over the Admirals, 11-4.

4. MSJ @ JC - Patriots get their first MIAA W over the Gaels, 10-7.

5. Gilman @ BL (Saturday, 3pm) - Lakers bounce back from disappointing Spalding loss to edge the Hounds on Homecoming Day in an instant classic, 11-10 (might be OT).
viper

Post by viper »

Slim wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 am The final Friday of the regular season is upon us. Still 6 teams jockeying for 5 seeds. CHC locked in as #1 and distancing themselves from the pack with each game. They are a powerhouse!

Predictions for today;
1. Loyola @ StP - It's the Crusaders homecoming, and they will welcome back the Alums with a resounding W over the sputtering Dons. StP by 5, 11-6.

2. CHC @ Spalding - Spalding got their big W and will have a hangover game today vs. the top-ranked Cards. CH in a blowout, 15-5.

3. McD @ Severn - Eagles continue their comeback march to the playoffs with a convincing W over the Admirals, 11-4.

5. Gilman @ BL (Saturday, 3pm) - Lakers bounce back from disappointing Spalding loss to edge the Hounds on Homecoming Day in an instant classic, 11-10 (might be OT).
Not a bad prediction for CHC, final score was 15-3 over Spalding.
Juslaxin16

Post by Juslaxin16 »

Slim wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:34 am The final Friday of the regular season is upon us. Still 6 teams jockeying for 5 seeds. CHC locked in as #1 and distancing themselves from the pack with each game. They are a powerhouse!

Predictions for today;

So far you’re right about all the games except for 1..... MSJ beat JC 7-6...... like I said in the beginning of the year JC will not win any Conference games.
GymTeacher

Post by GymTeacher »

Coach Nostrant can't arrive soon enough. Has anyone else noticed recent encore performances (see Crawford's, Brocatto's and Matthew's) are all complete duds? I love when the papers or SIDs try to spin coaching departures into a motivational factor. As an aside, how long has it been since a freshman has been one of the top players in the Conference? Dom Petro. He does have good genes.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

GymTeacher wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:15 pm
Coach Nostrant can't arrive soon enough. Has anyone else noticed recent encore performances (see Crawford's, Brocatto's and Matthew's) are all complete duds? I love when the papers or SIDs try to spin coaching departures into a motivational factor. As an aside, how long has it been since a freshman has been one of the top players in the Conference? Dom Petro. He does have good genes.
Young Petro is indeed legit, very impressive. If he stays healthy, suspect he'll be a beast.

Interesting game yesterday and kudos to BL.

Gilman really should have won and I think that mostly is on the coach, though I thought the refereeing was ridiculous as well, moving picks, high hits (but that's a biased view). This Gilman team plays best when pushing pace, but kept slowing pace. Even down 2 with 4 mins to play, passive. Very frustrating to watch.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Last week of the regular season! Home teams listed first.

Mount St. Joseph St. Mary's 4:00 pm
Loyola Blakefield Calvert Hall 4:15 pm
St. Paul's Boys' Latin 4:15 pm
McDonogh Gilman 4:30 pm
John Carroll Archbishop Spalding 6:30 pm

Severn on bye.

Predictions- SM, CH, BL, McD & AS all win.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Agree with all picks, Kramerica...except BL win.

Crusaders will jump back in the W column rolling into the playoffs with a resounding 11-6 victory in the Big Game!

Cards edge Dons in a classic battle, 9-8.

Eagles knock Gilman out of playoffs, 11-9

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”