Towson

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mr3Putt

Re: Towson

Post by Mr3Putt »

Berkeley didn’t see the field at MD. Like nada. Anyone know about his strengths?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:28 am Berkeley didn’t see the field at MD. Like nada. Anyone know about his strengths?
That was the same Terp class with Avanzato, a lot of those players
didn’t get off the bench, Avanzato, Kyle Brickerd.
Berkeley at one point was committed to Drexel.
What I saw reminded me of a Drexel player, Ryan Belka.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:20 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:28 am Berkeley didn’t see the field at MD. Like nada. Anyone know about his strengths?
That was the same Terp class with Avanzato, a lot of those players
didn’t get off the bench, Avanzato, Kyle Brickerd.
Berkeley at one point was committed to Drexel.
What I saw reminded me of a Drexel player, Ryan Belka.
Comparing him to Ryan Belka is saying something. Belka had between 40-55 pts every year. One of the best middies over the last 10 years in the CAA. If Berkeley is half of Belka the Tigers are going to be in real good shape at midfield. I’ve personally never seen him play a minute.
molo

Post by molo »

It should be clear tomorrow with temps in the teens early but climbing into the 20s later. Rough scrimmage weather.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

14-9 Towson over Bucknell in first game. Going by the Towson Tweets since I wasn't there:

1-1 Berkeley goal (unassisted?)
2-1 Berkeley pass to Swain for goal
3-1 Ryan Swain from Austin Stewart
4-1Avanzato from DeMaio
5-1 Bender from DeMaio
6-1 Koby from Zungaila?
2nd Quarter
7-1 Koby goal
8-1 Garrett Z. from Constantinides
8-2 at the half
Not sure who played in the second half, Evan Long played goalie from Brennan
9-2 Avanzato from DeMaio
10-3 Avanzato from Stewart
4th quarter
11-5 Bode Mauer from Avanzato
12-5 Bode again from Avanzato
13-5 DeMaio from Avanzato
14-5 Koby from Hund
14-9 final

Koby with three goals apparently. Swain with two goals. The Maryland transfers all over the field. Berkeley with a G and A. Avanzato with three goals and three assists. DeMaio with a goal and three assists.Bode Mauer, the 5-10 freshman attackman from Kirkland, Washington, with two goals. Sounds like things to clean up defensively in the second half. Up 8-2 and allowed seven goals.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Towson's size & physicality created problems on both ends for Bucknell. Koby Smith had multiple big hits & a goal.

Kyle Berkeley was a matchup problem.
Maybe Berkeley has been doing nothing but lifting the past 3 years or so since he wasn't seeing the field for the Terps.

Some large azzz middies in the CAA.
Ryan Brind Sheridan is another monster middie.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Uh oh
https://twitter.com/LaxFilmRoom/status/ ... hiYxUVqK-Q
Big first half bright spot for Bucknell was the face-off wing play of Danny Striano. Felt like he picked up the GB on about half of the face-offs
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bode Maurer could be another find, offensive weapon.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I went to the first half today (8-2 Towson when I left). It’s early but you have some options on offense that they have not had in 2-3 years. I did not see Shilling or MIlani. But it’s always a challenge in a scrimmage to see who is who. Demaio is a natural lefty on attack , w Alvanzno , and the Frsh - Maurer . They looked good as a group. Berkeley is a a size mismatch and has a decent stick. He should contribute. Hayes - short stick mid looks legit- good athlete. Morin - fresh long pole also looked good. Watching G Zungailia - Def , K Smith - Def & Shane Brennan in the goal - this a heck of a trio. These three have played a ton of snaps. I’d put them up vs anyone on the Inside Lacrosse Preseason AA list.Brennan is better then McElroy at GT, Koby is a player (listed HM). And, Zungailia is underrated. Hopkins doesn’t have anyone to match up to these three. The issue is as we all know, you have to win some faceoffs.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:30 pm I went to the first half today (8-2 Towson when I left). What I got out of it was the transfers on offense will make an impact. I did not see Shilling or MIlani. But it’s always a challenge in a scrimmage to see who is who. Demaio is a natural lefty on attack , w Alvanzno , and the Frsh - Maurer . They looked good as a group. Berkeley is a a size mismatch and has a decent stick. He should contribute. Hayes - short stick mid looks legit- good athlete. Morin - fresh long pole also looked good. Watching G Zungailia - Def , K Smith - Def & Shane Brennan in the goal - this a heck of a trio. These three have played a ton of snaps. I’d put them up vs anyone on the Inside Lacrosse Preseason AA list.Brennan is better then McElroy at GT, Koby is a player (listed HM). And, Zungailia is underrated. Hopkins doesn’t have anyone to match up to these three. The issue is as we all know, you have to win some faceoffs.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Saw scrimmage today.
Tigers lost most FO and ground balls on wing play.
Towson poles are good in transition and can push the ball they had multiple goals.
Neither team looked good on set offense must goals where scored on unsettled offense. 8-2@ half. Second half towson was out scored 7-6 both teams using multiple subs. 21 degree game time temp. Lots of stuff to improve on.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Let's hope the face-offs are not an issue again. It's just one scrimmage. But I asked this last season: why the hell did Nads not bring in a transfer? Somebody in case the freshman isn't ready? Sounds like we struggled on wings again as well.

Tough to run a tight offense in the first scrimmage in 20 degree weather.
Last edited by Math1234 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Mr3Putt, could not agree more. Tigers can have huge year. Do not know a more underrated team. That’s fine, not sure how long that will last.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Math1234 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:07 pm Let's hope the face-offs are not an issue again. It's just one scrimmage. But I asked this last season: why the hell did Nads not bring in a transfer? Somebody in case the freshman isn't ready? Sounds like we struggled on wings again as well.

Tough to run a tight offense in the first scrimmage in 20 degree weather.
DeMaio, Berkeley, Shilling through the transfer portal,

Constantinides and Maurer in this freshmen class,

that’s a good day’s work,
and last year’s freshmen class was in retrospect very good.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

It would suck to waste that kind of talent on offense and experience on defense with another rough year at the X. Hope the freshman and improves and he gets help in the wings.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Towson is going to be good. Sure feels they have some pieces after a couple of below average years. I think they can sneak up on Johns Hopkins and get a win.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Long season, always say after 6-7 games the young men are no longer Freshman. Especially with one of finest coaches on the planet. They have all the parts. If we were 60 percent at X they would roll. Let’s get 45 and by CAA time, and oh boy. Super excited. Any weather forecast for feb 11th?
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

It was a dominant first half performance. Koby is back to scoring goals and making plays in transition. This defense can be scary, but that all hinges on how much defense they will have to play over the course of a game (faceoffs!). Avanzato and DeMaio look like they're in sync together, consistent midfield play will be huge and shot selection will have to be on point if they aren't winning the T.O.P. Lehigh will be a really good test this weekend before things get real.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Glenn Clark Radio Show
Tomorrow morning we'll bring you our annual college lacrosse preview with @D1scourse. @navymlax @Towson_MLAX @LoyolaMLAX @UMBC_MLax @TerpsMLax @hopkinsmenslax coaches will all join us. Special start time 9 am! Listen PressBoxOnline.com/Radio Watch YouTube.com/PressBoxOnline
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Greatest Part of Season is all teams still alive going into CAA Play. This is How I see it panning out.
Could care less about the so-called experts Picks, Preseason All A. It means NOTHING. It's how it ends
1-3 In No order Drexel/Towson/Delaware
4 U Mass
5-6 Fairfield and Hofstra.
Far as Towson If Faceoffs are over 45%, They are favorite.
Towson has 9 OFC Games, Brutal but, challenging
3-6 Still alive in CAA But not looking Bright
4-5 Little Brighter
5-4 Ready to Roll with CAA
6-3 Do well in CAA and if not won/At large is Possible
7-2 Already in NCAA Tourney unless collapse, doubt that will happen
8-1 Final Four

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”