Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

If I understood the tweet correctly - Hopkins #1 fan has COVID-19? IF so sincere wishes for a complete and speedy recovery - for him and everyone - this thing has been unbelievable
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

He posted he's recovered. If you look at the comments, it's mostly players, coach tucker, alumni, parents. They seem to love the david puddy of d1 lax.
Offseason questions
1. Who is the coach next year
2. What changes are coming to the coaching staff
3. What srs return
4. what underclassmen/recruits leave
5. what transfers come in
6. Can the vaunted recruits displace veterans
7. Does the staff view 2-4 as growing pains or do underachieving players lose jobs.
8. epsteins recovery
9. what happens to the unplayed portion of this years schedule for example do the games not played at homewood stay as home games next year and so on.
10. Last years offseason narrative was overhaul everything, what is this years?
11. who is in net/first midfield/ssdm/d.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 am He posted he's recovered. If you look at the comments, it's mostly players, coach tucker, alumni, parents. They seem to love the david puddy of d1 lax.
Offseason questions
3. What srs return
7. Does the staff view 2-4 as growing pains or do underachieving players lose jobs.
8. epsteins recovery
9. what happens to the unplayed portion of this years schedule for example do the games not played at homewood stay as home games next year and so on.
1) DP - unfortunately
2) none
3) Concannon likely because it would be his 6th year. After that I'd guess any Srs that haven't regularly played won't return. Guys like Lyne and the like. Nothing against them, I just don't see someone like that paying for another year of school. It also sounds like Hubler is leaving.
4) Who knows at this point with everything so much up in the air.
5) Sowers - just kidding. No one.
6) Displace veterans. Maybe Grimes. If you mean contribute, that I don't know given the loyalty issue.
7) N/a to many unknowns.
8) We can hope
9) That is a really good question. My guess is that they assume it is a new season. So even though UMD was homecoming this year, that game will be away next year. Too much trying to figure out how to balance where the games that have already been played like UNC and SU with where the games would have been played if they were played like PSU and UMd. But, who knows on that one.
10) Learning how to play under the new shot clock rules that were implemented 2 years ago. Oh, learning how to catch and throw would be a good one too.
11) Duh - Darby. That sub 450 save percentage aint going to get worse if he doesn't play.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The verbal abuse consisted of being called “Fat F@ck” throughout the fall practices, day in, day out.

That’s over the top.

Meanwhile, the other staff watched. The other players watched.

I get missing a report date weight goal, but the resulting verbal abuse was both too much, and... ironic.

We left one other category out: Foleyed. Cleared to come back, wants to come back, team allowed to vote on it. No Foley.

You are in your last contract year and one glaring weakness is defense, and you let the team vote on something like that which might ultimately seal your own fate? Crazy.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am The verbal abuse consisted of being called “Fat F@ck” throughout the fall practices, day in, day out.

That’s over the top.

I get missing a report date weight goal, but the resulting verbal abuse was both too much, and... ironic.

We left one other category out: Foleyed. Cleared to come back, wants to come back, team allowed to vote on it. No Foley.

You are in your last contract year and one glaring weakness is defense, and you let the team vote on something like that which might ultimately seal your own fate? Crazy.
That’s exactly what I heard as well. Except it has been multi year and multi player. Pretty much every thick guy catches the wrath and is fat shamed daily.

The Foley “vote” is absolute shocking. Imagine blowing off your best player because of some interpersonal junk.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:43 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 am The verbal abuse consisted of being called “Fat F@ck” throughout the fall practices, day in, day out.

That’s over the top.

That’s exactly what I heard as well. Except it has been multi year and multi player. Pretty much every thick guy catches the wrath and is fat shamed daily.

The Foley “vote” is absolute shocking. Imagine blowing off your best player because of some interpersonal junk.
How about a college coach, in front of packed stands, yelling "G.. D... you, (insert players last name)". This was 8 years ago and no one blinked. I guess times have changed.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Times have changed, not everyone has especially in sports. Many old timers shake their heads at this generation because somehow they survived the browbeating and actually became lifelong disciples and friends of their hard nosed coaches.

Im sure many current and former players swear by Petro despite his gruff ways.,

To be voted off by teammates seems rather incriminating. Appears team held him accountable for whatever , the opposite view of 'can you believe Petro did that' is he could actually be credited for being principled as it was pointed out that be in his best self interests to field the best defense.

Fat Fock? Definitely wrong if indeed consistently yelled at in anger and not in a jestful manner. Common sense would tell me that questions were asked of many three months ago .
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I haven't heard anything about "verbal abuse"—flalax you know very well even if that is true, that isn't the whole story as we've discussed in PM. I don't really think anyone here knows exactly what goes on in practice—I certainly don't and won't claim to—however there are at least a few facts that are not up for interpretation: 1) The player was suspended from the team in the fall 2) The coaches were not the only ones who were dissatisfied with what was going on.

Petro's constant talk of "accountability" might ring hollow, especially given the results this season (along with some of his personnel decisions which IMO do not always mesh with this alleged mantra), but there has been a very real player-led culture change within the program recently. It's going to be a little messy—there will be growing pains and you're seeing some of the consequences already—but I believe it'll be better for the team in the long run. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together here: The hardest working player on this team—and possibly in Petro's entire tenure as coach—is now a captain. The captains have a lot of power at Johns Hopkins. That's been the case for a long time. Certain standards and expectations are not the same as they were a year ago. This IMO is long, longer overdue for a team with championship aspirations.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Can't comment on the specific Rapine insult - can I believe Petro said it? Yes. Have I heard there was much more behind it from Petro's point of view than just failing a conditioning test or weight? Also Yes.

As for Foley? Thank you stupified - why aren't we celebrating Petro for leaving it up to the team? Why wouldn't a 2nd Team AA be a unanimous YES except for maybe the one or two guys who think "There just went any chance of me seeing the field"? Seems like he did the right thing for the team even though it might not have been the best thing for his record personally. Many many coaches would have said Get over It - he's on the team and he'll never leave the field.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm Can't comment on the specific Rapine insult - can I believe Petro said it? Yes. Have I heard there was much more behind it from Petro's point of view than just failing a conditioning test or weight? Also Yes.

As for Foley? Thank you stupified - why aren't we celebrating Petro for leaving it up to the team? Why wouldn't a 2nd Team AA be a unanimous YES except for maybe the one or two guys who think "There just went any chance of me seeing the field"? Seems like he did the right thing for the team even though it might not have been the best thing for his record personally. Many many coaches would have said Get over It - he's on the team and he'll never leave the field.
If I were Petro, I think I'd take a hard look in the mirror before I considered fat shaming anyone.
Or for that matter, take a look at his own coaching staff first.
It's pretty hard to get the message across to a player to lose weight when you have to buy an industrial scale for yourself.
Nothing rankles people more than inconsistent and hypocritical talk and actions.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Petro is no longer a scholarship Division I athlete with the obligations and expectations that come with. While being overweight is a significant health issue and he should strive for a healthier balance if he wants to be around for a few more decades, his weight has nothing to do with his interaction with his players. Their weight is important and within his purview. His weight is meaningless in that context. When Rapine turns 53 he can weigh 300 lbs if he wants to. To be clear, calling anyone the words that have been attributed to this issue is a bad idea - if I were the AD I would counsel against it - but this is Division I athletics in an aggressive sport - it's not tee-ball. I am around a fair amount of high school lacrosse players at a very competitive program - virtually every one of them is profane to some degree - I hear more f bombs in the summer/fall than I do at any other point in the year. I also get to hear alot of Hopkins player chatter at games and scrimmages. Not alot of proper Queen's English overheard there. So is that hypocritical? Again, I have no specifics on the Rapine issue - but the almost certain fact remains that if there was documented verbal abuse backed up by the team - Petro would no longer be employed by Johns Hopkins. We see what the lacrosse team went through in 2013 and we see how they have treated other issues with such things like the fraternities
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:33 pm Petro is no longer a scholarship Division I athlete with the obligations and expectations that come with. While being overweight is a significant health issue and he should strive for a healthier balance if he wants to be around for a few more decades, his weight has nothing to do with his interaction with his players. Their weight is important and within his purview. His weight is meaningless in that context. When Rapine turns 53 he can weigh 300 lbs if he wants to. To be clear, calling anyone the words that have been attributed to this issue is a bad idea - if I were the AD I would counsel against it - but this is Division I athletics in an aggressive sport - it's not tee-ball. I am around a fair amount of high school lacrosse players at a very competitive program - virtually every one of them is profane to some degree - I hear more f bombs in the summer/fall than I do at any other point in the year. I also get to hear alot of Hopkins player chatter at games and scrimmages. Not alot of proper Queen's English overheard there. So is that hypocritical? Again, I have no specifics on the Rapine issue - but the almost certain fact remains that if there was documented verbal abuse backed up by the team - Petro would no longer be employed by Johns Hopkins. We see what the lacrosse team went through in 2013 and we see how they have treated other issues with such things like the fraternities
Sorry. Bowl Sheet Brother.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:07 pm Just got an email from the Coach.
He's heavily planning for Fall.
Does not sound like this staff is going anywhere.
Good to hear.

Give Petro one more shot with a 2021 team loaded with young talent.

Don’t get many do overs in life. Coach deserves this one.

DocBarrister 8-)
He doesn't deserve anything, the results of the last 12 years of his tenure have been intolerable. How many more tournament curb stompings do we need to see before a change is made? He has already had four or five do overs, he doesn't need another one. How many teams loaded with young talent does he get a chance to ruin? Will the fans be happy if he cobbles together one final four run in four years with this group like he did with Stanwick and Tinney? He has had his chance, it is well past time for a change. 2007 is a long time ago and last time that I checked his job is not a life time appointment.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Don’t know the details behind these stories. Defer to others there.

If it is true that the team essentially voted Foley off the team, which would be really shocking, then I suppose Petro did the right thing.

The Rapine story is quite disturbing. Would like to know the full details of that.

Regarding Epstein as a captain ... I would have to think the guy isn’t a particularly easy captain to play under. Has he tried to instill (impose) his work ethic on everyone else? Just haven’t heard much about his style as a captain. Do know that the current captains wanted to change the culture on the team.

Can’t believe that Petro is simply a monster. The Stanwicks, who know the lacrosse world as well as any, were willing to send Wells and Shack to play under Petro for a combined 7 years. Then Steele went to work on the women’s team. I don’t see how the Stanwicks would ever tolerate a truly abusive coach.

All disturbing and puzzling.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

That’s over the top.

Petros "fat shaming" ? What an angry, insecure unwell person........if true.

This season, while playing the bench in 4th quarter (and getting blown out), coach shaking his head b/c the bench can't clear the ball b/c of the 10 man ride. Problem is, the starters couldn't clear the ball either. Why was he shaking his head? In disgust? At a 19 year old. YOU......didn't prepare your team for the 10 man ride. YOU...coach. But, he didn't look inward. Never takes notes. Tough to do when your fingers are covered with cheetos dust.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:09 am

That’s over the top.

Petros "fat shaming" ? What an angry, insecure unwell person........if true.

This season, while playing the bench in 4th quarter (and getting blown out), coach shaking his head b/c the bench can't clear the ball b/c of the 10 man ride. Problem is, the starters couldn't clear the ball either. Why was he shaking his head? In disgust? At a 19 year old. YOU......didn't prepare your team for the 10 man ride. YOU...coach. But, he didn't look inward. Never takes notes. Tough to do when your fingers are covered with cheetos dust.
I understand a Coach being a competitor and demanding his team never quit but calling players names is not the way to create team or to get the team to follow you. It may have worked at one point in his career but it is not going to work now. As for Foley maybe he was not viewed by his team as not a good teammate? I mean there has to be a reason why the team voted to not bring him back, right? Either way it is history and the only focus can be on the next season. I can't imagine the players wanting to play for an abusive coach. I would think the AD would have issues with this as well in today's world.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Laxsmitty wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:53 am
I understand a Coach being a competitor and demanding his team never quit but calling players names is not the way to create team or to get the team to follow you. It may have worked at one point in his career but it is not going to work now. As for Foley maybe he was not viewed by his team as not a good teammate? I mean there has to be a reason why the team voted to not bring him back, right? Either way it is history and the only focus can be on the next season. I can't imagine the players wanting to play for an abusive coach. I would think the AD would have issues with this as well in today's world.
I know, right? In an age where bullying has become a major issue, this is NOT a good look for the University. A lot of athletes, including NFL players, now go around to schools lecturing about the evils of bullying. This is the opposite. I don't see how this type of behavior is consistent with the current values of Johns Hopkins University.
A comment I heard from a former Hopkins player was "the worst four years of my life."
This is NOT good.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Just a lurker on the Hopkins board but am shocked into commenting by the Foley saga. As I gather from here, Petro put it to a team vote as to whether he was to remain on the team and he was voted off. This is astonishing to me and could be read with one of two wildly different takes on how it reflects on Petro. On the one hand, you could look at this as a fantastic act of coaching. In addition to teaching how to succeed on the field, a good college coach also helps teenagers become upstanding young men off the field. One of the most important and difficult lessons to learn at that stage in life is responsibility. If the team in fact had been grousing about Foley, one could say it was brilliant for Petro to put his (Foley) fate in their hands. It would be the ultimate put your money where your mouth is lesson. If he is such an awful teammate and you want him gone, YOU, the team, take on the responsibility of making it so. This would be an extremely tough decision for them to actually make and to make them own it could be seen as a wonderful example of leadership and mentorship.
On the other hand, wow. Very rarely are players in lax kicked off of the team and then almost always for legal issues or severely violating team rules (ala the Brattons). This is not to say of course that they are not run off. Many schools are notorious for over recruiting and then the coach going to a rising sophomore or junior and giving him the "advise" that he is not going to see the field much going forward and it might be better for all if he transferred for a fresh start. Basically never are scholarships revoked. Scholarships are given year to year in the NCAA. In sports like basketball, where there are very few players, all are on full rides and the upgrading of 1 or 2 spots can make a huge difference. It is common for a coach to not offer a scholarship to, say a rising junior when has not played the previous two years to free it up for a stud freshman. This almost never happens in lax as most players aren't getting much and those with full or almost full rides are usually the best players. I do not know Foley's scholarship situation but doubt he was a full ride. I also do not know for sure whether he intends to transfer to continue playing but I would imagine so. That means that voting him off of the team was also, in essence, voting him out of the university. As he was likely not full ride, his family had likely either paid tens of thousands of dollars (if not more) or taken out the same in loans to pay for his education at a prestigious university. This vote by his teammates then throws that out of the window and means he will not only not play at Hopkins but not graduate from there, despite the massive financial sunk cost. This is an astonishing action, unprecedented as far as I know. It is incredible that a coach put such a life-altering decision in the hands of the players rather than making such a tough choice himself and could be seen as the ultimate act in punting responsibility. I appreciate the Laxpower and Fanlax policy of not allowing salacious gossip about students so I will not ask what it is he did or did not do to inspire such contempt from his peers. I will say though that for both their sakes and Foley's I hope whatever it was was awful or else this is a shocking mistreatment of a young man.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:33 am Just a lurker on the Hopkins board but am shocked into commenting by the Foley saga.
The "vote" occurred after the 2019 season and was about whether or not to bring him back for an additional year of eligibility to make up for the one he lost due to academics. He is now playing in the PLL for the Waterdogs. He was not "voted out of the university."
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Thread gone off track with hearsay, second hand accounts and biased spins on matters unknown.

jhu06 posted some good forward looking questions (listed below) on John Hopkins 2021

Offseason questions
3. What srs return
8. epsteins recovery

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”