Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:11 am There was a guy at B-School who was straight-out-of-college. We had LOTS of group projects and nobody wanted to work with the guy. Just had very little to offer. Graduated with us and got a job at S&P. Good job but I think he would've gotten a very different job (not better, not worse, just different) if he waited before going to B-school. For many, B-school is a way to go from Job A to Job Q. e.g. A guy went from working at an ad agency to working in finance. No way he could've done this without the MBA and Summer Internship. For the straight-out-of-college, you'll go from no Job to Job whatever. My suggestion would be to work fr a bit, see what you like, don't like, etc. and then get the MBA. Otherwise, you're just wasting your Get Out of Jail Free card.
I worked 4 years and then went to business school. It helped. I advise kids to work a couple years, get an idea about where they want to head and then decide if graduate school will help you reset and make it happen.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:54 pm ... and then decide if graduate school will help you reset and make it happen.
My experience, too. Grad school, in this case, an MBA is a great transition point... and the internship is critical. The MBA allows you to move from Job A to Job L and the internship should be as close to Job L as possible. At least, the internship needs to be Job G.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:07 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:54 pm ... and then decide if graduate school will help you reset and make it happen.
My experience, too. Grad school, in this case, an MBA is a great transition point... and the internship is critical. The MBA allows you to move from Job A to Job L and the internship should be as close to Job L as possible. At least, the internship needs to be Job G.
Yes. It also made a difference in what I knew. I ended up working on deals that actually involved WACC and IRR, in a practice vs theory. Also some self study did wonders for me. I passed it down to my son when he was looking at internships in college. That text book did wonders. I would read it while commuting in and out of work.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:11 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:07 pm
Yes. It also made a difference in what I knew. I ended up working on deals that actually involved WACC and IRR, in a practice vs theory. Also some self study did wonders for me. I passed it down to my son when he was looking at internships in college. That text book did wonders. I would read it while commuting in and out of work.
Hopefully in the real world you were using XIRR and modified, binary option tree driven NPV analysis if involving meaningful investments...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Best way for MBA is Executive program at top school paid for by your employer. I did in my late 20’s. Difficult couple of years but the experience and the price was great. Not sure how much this is done today....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I've found the mix of students in those programs even at a place like Wharton includes a lot more financial advisors and other people where it's just a marketing tool, but where the network value is a bit less. But I guess at the price of free (so to speak, there's always some employer conditions to it) it's a decent tradeoff.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

On an unrelated topic, I am sick of the ear wax commercials.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:30 pm I've found the mix of students in those programs even at a place like Wharton includes a lot more financial advisors and other people where it's just a marketing tool, but where the network value is a bit less. But I guess at the price of free (so to speak, there's always some employer conditions to it) it's a decent tradeoff.
Yes there were some commitment time lines involved or re-payment. As you say, for me was well worth the trade offs.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

So, an MBA is best entered after working five or so years for all the experience and change of career options cited. But, this guideline is not absolute. An MBA can be helpful out college if one comes from a non business-econ type major, for example, biology, engineering, psychology, arts related. However, for student-athletes, an MBA should not be the only option here. There are many graduate degrees that students can pursuer in their majors such as engineering, science, pre-med, or other disciplines. All of these will be invaluable. In fact in many fields a Masters can be the best investment for success, while a PHD may not further improve lifestyle and earnings (don't get me wrong, if you can get a PHD, go for it).

On a bright note: I see that Harvard has indicated they will refund or credit some portion of room & board based on the number of weeks a student is no longer on campus. That's a very welcome step. I'd like to see the other Ivies follow this lead.

No schools that I am aware of will be refunding tuition. This is predictable and understandable as long as the school is providing lectures, assignments, and testing via conferencing, thus allowing the students to complete their semester. It's a bummer for those graduating that they wont be able to complete their final semester on campus and likely with the usual splendor of commencement. Maybe the schools can do the ceremony off cycle late summer or fall or whenever this thing quiets down.
Lux et veritas
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Penn cancelled graduation, and was going to do a virtual graduation online.

A petition was started to have graduation at a later date. It got over 10,000 signatures.

Students were then told they would have a real graduation at a later date.

Glad the kids are getting what they want and should have. Very disappointed with the admin's original decision. Kids felt jobbed. Can't say I blame them.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mid-Lax wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:59 am So, an MBA is best entered after working five or so years for all the experience and change of career options cited. But, this guideline is not absolute. An MBA can be helpful out college if one comes from a non business-econ type major, for example, biology, engineering, psychology, arts related. However, for student-athletes, an MBA should not be the only option here. There are many graduate degrees that students can pursuer in their majors such as engineering, science, pre-med, or other disciplines. All of these will be invaluable. In fact in many fields a Masters can be the best investment for success, while a PHD may not further improve lifestyle and earnings (don't get me wrong, if you can get a PHD, go for it).

On a bright note: I see that Harvard has indicated they will refund or credit some portion of room & board based on the number of weeks a student is no longer on campus. That's a very welcome step. I'd like to see the other Ivies follow this lead.

No schools that I am aware of will be refunding tuition. This is predictable and understandable as long as the school is providing lectures, assignments, and testing via conferencing, thus allowing the students to complete their semester. It's a bummer for those graduating that they wont be able to complete their final semester on campus and likely with the usual splendor of commencement. Maybe the schools can do the ceremony off cycle late summer or fall or whenever this thing quiets down.
My personal preference would’ve been to get a MS and MA in Econ but not likely (possible) PhD route, have a weird blend I’d just like to pursue, but not wanting to go academic or research route sort of made that a luxury choice for me, not wanting to go super hard quant, so as I needed to make a choice on a job offer (allied capital, once held in decent regard ultimately blew up spectacularly) or something more drastic. So after only 2 and change years I jumped into MBA, which did formally round out stuff I didn’t have coming out of liberal arts undergrad Hobart as a Econ (& Eur Studies 2nd) grad with some quant a bit into second level econometrics (yakking SAAS days) but skewed towards more philosophical approach even if still pimping Friedman’s work of economics being a positive science and got no finance or or accounting. Picked up a decent bit myself through internships, hustling and some self teaching along with sponging off all friends doing well in those fields. So I genuinely got a decent bit functionally out of a large amt of the curriculum which I know isn’t common or universal w MBA students or programs. But making it official and learning new stuff that way helped me. So it worked out but I also feel like I wasted my first 2-3yra out of grad school leaving a lot on the tables and not maximizing those years and the extent it compounded the future because I was professionally/emotionally young at 26 w maybe 3.5yra of work experience including two full-ish (rarely much more than 40hrs a week) time semesters of working in grad school.

So it worked out for me but it all could’ve been better maximized no doubt. Crisis didn’t help but oh well. But I feel somewhat strongly that in general people should get 5, maybe even as much as 7yr experience, before doing an MBA and less than 4 and your missing the full value of it.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

1990 saw four Ivy League teams make the NCAA tournament. 2020 saw four teams ranked in the top 20, including three in the top five.

How could have the 2020 season stacked up against 1990?

https://lacrossebucket.com/2020/03/26/h ... p-to-1990/
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Has the Ivy League rendered a decision on 5th year eligibility yet?
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

The Ivies were first to cancel the spring sports season, I am sure they are in no hurry to render this decision. It's an archaic rule that needs to be changed, but, for this period, I hope they do the right thing by the players, the coaches, and the schools.
Lux et veritas
Benthere

Post by Benthere »

Bryant offers a 1 year MBA program- Zac Greer
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Just great. The pandemic is still raging and the Ivies are being poached.
Lux et veritas
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Penn has several 1 year graduate programs:

Public Affairs/Administration
https://www.fels.upenn.edu/

School of Education
https://www.gse.upenn.edu/academics/program-finder

Hope they allow for the 5th year ...
calourie

Post by calourie »

Bluecollar wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 pm Penn has several 1 year graduate programs:

Public Affairs/Administration
https://www.fels.upenn.edu/

School of Education
https://www.gse.upenn.edu/academics/program-finder

Hope they allow for the 5th year ...
The big issue here is if the Ivies will allow grad student participation. Those seniors who were considering graduate work before the season was cancelled likely already had particular programs in mind, and would likely determine their lacrosse participation accordingly. As for the others, much will depend on whether that current senior really wants another season of D1 lacrosse strongly enough to pursue a grad school education that they weren't otherwise considering. In the event that they do it is unlikely that they would enter a graduate program that is outside their field of interest regardless of the capability of obtaining a degree in one year in an extraneous program. One year of extra study in one's field of interest makes sense, outside one's field of interest not so much.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Hey blue, its good to see you posting! Good info.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

This just in. NCAA grants extra year of eligibility to spring sports athletes.
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... OxfJaZpGyI

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”