WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Princeton at Loyola on ESPN+

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

How does a sporting event broadcast in the 21st century without instant replays? It was a glaring oversight in last night's game. They had all the rest of the bells and whistles, just not one of the most important ones. Yeah--could we maybe get another look at that goal, save, foul, whatever the frick?? Nope--no replays--sorry. The person who was supposed to do that banged out sick; we didn't think it was important for a lil ol women's lacrosse game; the dog ate the instructions for the intern to know how to use the instant replay machine. Yes, I'm ticked about it. It has too often been the case this season when the broadcast team neglects to include instant replays as part of the production. That needs to change if folks want to (pardon me) grow the game or at the very least showcase the sport properly. Okay--I'm done.
DMac

Re: WLax Broadcasts and Publications: Comments/Reviews

Post by DMac »

Was bummed about that too, among other things I wanted to see #13's quick stick goal (her 1st one), was a super nice pass and very smooth catch and shot. Pass was on the dime, shot was in the net. Her second goal was pretty too, quick release with a lot of velocity. Sorry, no second looks.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:30 am Was bummed about that too, among other things I wanted to see #13's quick stick goal (her 1st one), was a super nice pass and very smooth catch and shot. Pass was on the dime, shot was in the net. Her second goal was pretty too, quick release with a lot of velocity. Sorry, no second looks.
https://twitter.com/LoyolaWLax/status/1 ... 2595782659

https://twitter.com/LoyolaWLax/status/1 ... 0592781312
JoeMauer89

Re: Princeton at Loyola on ESPN+

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:05 am How does a sporting event broadcast in the 21st century without instant replays? It was a glaring oversight in last night's game. They had all the rest of the bells and whistles, just not one of the most important ones. Yeah--could we maybe get another look at that goal, save, foul, whatever the frick?? Nope--no replays--sorry. The person who was supposed to do that banged out sick; we didn't think it was important for a lil ol women's lacrosse game; the dog ate the instructions for the intern to know how to use the instant replay machine. Yes, I'm ticked about it. It has too often been the case this season when the broadcast team neglects to include instant replays as part of the production. That needs to change if folks want to (pardon me) grow the game or at the very least showcase the sport properly. Okay--I'm done.
You can always watch the replay on ESPN+.

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:57 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:05 am How does a sporting event broadcast in the 21st century without instant replays? It was a glaring oversight in last night's game. They had all the rest of the bells and whistles, just not one of the most important ones. Yeah--could we maybe get another look at that goal, save, foul, whatever the frick?? Nope--no replays--sorry. The person who was supposed to do that banged out sick; we didn't think it was important for a lil ol women's lacrosse game; the dog ate the instructions for the intern to know how to use the instant replay machine. Yes, I'm ticked about it. It has too often been the case this season when the broadcast team neglects to include instant replays as part of the production. That needs to change if folks want to (pardon me) grow the game or at the very least showcase the sport properly. Okay--I'm done.
You can always watch the replay on ESPN+.

Joe
Indeed. But there are no instant replays on the replay either.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:54 am
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:30 am Was bummed about that too, among other things I wanted to see #13's quick stick goal (her 1st one), was a super nice pass and very smooth catch and shot. Pass was on the dime, shot was in the net. Her second goal was pretty too, quick release with a lot of velocity. Sorry, no second looks.

Oh my, how surprising someone would have those, thanks.
Two nice goals, like the second one the best. Pretty shot.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:51 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:54 am

Oh my, how surprising someone would have those, thanks.
Two nice goals, like the second one the best. Pretty shot.
I love the first one; you see 13 get inside of Donovan, No. 33, and when Donovan's head turns to see what's behind her, 13 goes, the pass is just perfect, and the shot is even better. Can't blame Fish for that one.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Which is exactly why I like to see the O operate from behind the cage (both m and w lax), puts D heads on swivels and you take advantage of that just like she did there. Very nicely done indeed.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

check out the supergirl effort by the Princeton defender as she tries to catch up with #13.

laxhound22

Post by laxhound22 »

The funniest part was at the end of the game when the announcer was giving shout-outs to the production team including specifically naming a "replay coordinator." :roll: :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxhound22 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:22 am
The funniest part was at the end of the game when the announcer was giving shout-outs to the production team including specifically naming a "replay coordinator." :roll: :lol:
One thing about the play by play guy that bugs me is the English Football use of "Princeton have four goals...."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:21 am check out the supergirl effort by the Princeton defender as she tries to catch up with #13.

Yeah, I think Marge was pretty unhappy with herself there.
laxhound22

Post by laxhound22 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:44 am
laxhound22 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:22 am
One thing about the play by play guy that bugs me is the English Football use of "Princeton have four goals...."
He's definitely a soccer fan. Not sure if any other soccer fans on here, but at the beginning of the broadcast he made a joke about how Princeton was undefeated but "can they win a game on a cold, rainy night in Baltimore?" This is a joke soccer fans say about certain players who haven't played in the English Premier League and how they don't have to deal with the weather and physicality of the league. An English broadcaster originally said something along those lines about Messi so it's been made a running joke.
Dr. Tact

Re: Very interesting development

Post by Dr. Tact »

I have only heard one lacrosse game on the radio....Battle of Charles Street - Loyola/Hop 2018 (I think). Very weird experience. Not sure how successful it will be on the radio, but if I can't watch, I would listen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Very interesting development

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:51 pm
I have only heard one lacrosse game on the radio....Battle of Charles Street - Loyola/Hop 2018 (I think). Very weird experience. Not sure how successful it will be on the radio, but if I can't watch, I would listen.
I would too. The call of the game would naturally have to be more descriptive.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Efforts to Get Women's Lacrosse on TV Paying Off

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... paying-off

Taylor's Takes: Efforts to Get Women's Lacrosse on TV Paying Off

This weekend, I was able to check an item off my bucket list as I called the Maryland-Ohio State game on Big Ten Network at their Chicago studios. I have worked a few BTN+ and ESPN+ broadcasts locally, but to be in an actual studio on live television was an entirely new experience for me.
My trip started off as most of my traveling adventures usually do — with a massive delay at BWI Airport. However, once I landed at Midway Airport Saturday night and got settled into my hotel that overlooked the gorgeous, albeit freezing Lake Michigan, the excitement really started to ramp up.
I started the next day the best way possible — with a workout in an empty hotel gym and a fantastic cup of coffee from a local shop. I studied my notes while sipping on my caramel macchiato and then headed over to the BTN studio where I met with my cohost Dean Linke. Dean had called many of my games back when I was the one in a Maryland uniform, so it was surreal to now be sitting alongside him watching the Terps of today play.
The day felt like a whirlwind. When I finally reached the Midway Airport again to return home to Baltimore, I reflected on the experience.
Of course, I was thrilled to call an amazing game between two great teams, both of whom have head coaches that I played for. But what made it more special was knowing the hard work so many people put in to get women’s lacrosse on actual TV. For so many years now, we’ve had coaches, players, referees, reporters and fans share outcries of disappointment when women’s lacrosse continued to be dismissed by television networks.
This year, we’ve seen an uptick in viewership, televised games and streamed games like never before. I personally never imagined that I’d be able to sit in a professional television studio talking about our game as it was played on a national network for all to see, but I just did. Though we have far to go still, it feels like our continued efforts are finally starting to pay off.
The lacrosse community needs to keep pushing and using our voices so that the next generation doesn’t feel surprised when they turn on the TV and see women’s lacrosse.
Let’s take a look at a few players from Division I who also had exciting weeks.
RACHEL CLARK, A, VIRGINIA
Clark has shown absolutely no fear throughout this entire season and her confidence continued to build last Thursday in the Cavaliers’ game against North Carolina. With her four goals on eight shots, she was the catalyst for Virginia’s offense and kept the game close early on.
Clark showed incredible poise for being only a freshman and took on seasoned UNC defenders Emma Trenchard and Emily Nalls without a second thought all night long. Her speed combined with her strength and accurate shooting makes her a deadly and versatile attacker who will only improve as years go on.

ELOISE CLEVENGER, A, MARYLAND
Clevenger has grown with each game she’s played for the Terps this year and her confidence is really starting to show. A smooth crease attacker with a savvy stick, Clevenger has started to form palpable on-field connections with her Maryland teammates. Now she's threat to dodge, feed and score — a triple threat.
Clevenger scored three goals and added two assists last Wednesday as the Terps took down then-No. 12 Princeton and added another goal in the win over Ohio State on Sunday. But it’s her ability to create opportunities for others away from ball that impressed me most of all.
KATE MULHAM, A, PRINCETON
Mulham was the bright spot for Princeton against Maryland, as she led all scorers with five goals on seven shots. A tall and shifty attacker, she was able to use her speed and quick lateral movement to take advantage of narrow dodging lanes and get quality shots off consistently.
What impressed me most of all was the velocity at which Mulham was able to hit not only with her shots but with her feet. She is incredibly fast and uses her speed to her advantage as she catches defenders off guard.
MADDIE JENNER, A, DUKE
Jenner’s play in the center circle has been crucial to Duke’s success all season long and Saturday was no different. Duke was able to take down then-No. 2 Boston College thanks to its dominance in the center circle, with Jenner winning 12 draw controls in the air by herself and helping her teammates win others on the ground.
In addition to her success at the draw, Jenner also had the game-winning goal as she came off a great pick at the center hash and used her height to quick-stick a high feed from X. 
SYDNEY WATSON, M, UCONN
Watson has continued to impress all over the field this season and has led UConn to an impressive 11-2 record. With 44 goals and 16 assists in addition to 12 ground balls, nine caused turnovers and 127 draw controls, she’s played consistently well and is the core of the Huskies’ entire team.
In Saturday’s game against Villanova, it was Watson’s prowess at dodging that stood out most thanks to her pure speed and fantastic ability to use her body to help create shooting angles. If the Huskies are to make it far in the NCAA tournament, they will need Watson to continue playing at an elite level.

TAYLOR’S TOP TEN
1. North Carolina
2. Northwestern
3. Duke
4. Boston College
5. Maryland
6. Syracuse
7. Loyola
8. Stony Brook
9. Denver
10. Florida
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I am watching a d3 broadcast - York vs Stevenson ...very good play by play, camera work is good, replays....better than some D1 broadcasts. Good on ya Stevenson!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

USA Lacrosse Magazine @USALacrosseMag
NEWS: The NCAA Division I women's lacrosse championship game will air on ESPN for the first time. All 28 games will be on @espn platforms, culminating with the May 29 final on the flagship.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”