THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
viper

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by viper »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:19 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am Let's hope the weather holds, I don't want to see this one go inside.

On a different note, how bout little Pietramala's game against Gilman? Tremendous player.
I must admit I've spent too much time thinking about little Petro's future career in college than it likely warrants. I do find it to be a pretty interesting scenario, though. He's already one of the best players in the MIAA as a freshman, so I will go out on a limb and assume he will be a highly coveted recruit as an upperclassmen when he's allowed to commit.

If Petro is still our coach when his son is eligible to commit (which I believe will be in the fall of 2020?) then, does he come play for dad? Is that a given? Or is Hopkins the last place he wants to play? I always found it a little awkward when a coach's son is on the team but there are plenty of instances of it happening in both high school and college.

If Petro is NOT our coach then, does that count out his son from coming here? I guess it depends on the manner in which he leaves, whether or not it was cordial. I cannot imagine a Pietramala putting on a different uniform, but who knows.

Anyway, back to Notre Dame.
Another note on young Petro, he is a twin his other brother is a pole on BL's JV team this year. They could be a package deal.
Keep in mind that if Petro is still the HC that his kids will get a 50% break in tuition not available to most and that would be a big incentive for the twins (and for Dave I would guess)
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:39 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:48 am Let's hope the weather holds, I don't want to see this one go inside.

On a different note, how bout little Pietramala's game against Gilman? Tremendous player.
If Petro is still our coach when his son is eligible to commit (which I believe will be in the fall of 2020?) then, does he come play for dad? Is that a given? Or is Hopkins the last place he wants to play? I always found it a little awkward when a coach's son is on the team but there are plenty of instances of it happening in both high school and college.
Doesn't he count for a family-member tuition discount?

Ooops, cross-posted with above.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Final Four here we come!

With Narewski winning face-offs and Epstein scoring goals we'll finally get some payback on the Dookies.
It's been a long time coming. I can't wait for that game.

I saw that Epstein and Forry Smith, two of the earliest recruits ever, combined for 13 points against Penn State.
That's over half the offense scored by just two players who were essentially the poster children for early recruiting.

Yeah, ER is really hurting this team.
ROFL
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 pm Final Four here we come!

With Narewski winning face-offs and Epstein scoring goals we'll finally get some payback on the Dookies.

I saw that Epstein and Forry Smith, two of the earliest recruits ever, combined for 13 points against Penn State.
That's over half the offense scored by just two players who were essentially the poster children for early recruiting.

ROFL
Worry about ND before you seek revenge :roll:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Drcthru wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 pm With Narewski winning face-offs and Epstein scoring goals we'll finally get some payback on the Dookies.
Worry about ND before you seek revenge :roll:
I agree that there are other things to worry about first, but I do feel better about a potential Duke matchup this year than I have in previous seasons.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
molo

Post by molo »

Chick’s four sons all played at Hopkins. Jr. was middie who lost his shoe in 83 in the NC game against SU. Brett and John we’re attackmen, and the other son played d .
viper

Post by viper »

molo wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 pm Chick’s four sons all played at Hopkins. Jr. was middie who lost his shoe in 83 in the NC game against SU. Brett and John we’re attackmen, and the other son played d .
Chics grandson Luke was at UMBC for a year in 2015/16.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 pm I saw that Epstein and Forry Smith, two of the earliest recruits ever, combined for 13 points against Penn State.

ROFL
So the idea here is: highlight two kids in D1 where early recruiting worked well in one single game, hope no one points out that you forgot to list all the early recruits that didn't pan out in D1, and also hope no one points out these early recruits lost the game in question, destroying your already questionable point....and then "conclude" that early recruiting works great.

Um. I'm not sold on your point here. ;)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

32E3A266-909E-4A48-AA5E-FAF16055311F.jpeg
32E3A266-909E-4A48-AA5E-FAF16055311F.jpeg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 pm 32E3A266-909E-4A48-AA5E-FAF16055311F.jpeg
Did someone say something? 8-)
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hawkeye wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:03 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:43 pm 32E3A266-909E-4A48-AA5E-FAF16055311F.jpeg
Did someone say something? 8-)
Well played, sir!
DocBarrister

Re: Quick Question

Post by DocBarrister »

Drcthru wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:57 am So, Joey Epstein has an outlandish 67 points during his freshman campaign. Has a shot at scoring 70 or more points now that Hopkins is in the NCAA tournament.

Who was the last Hopkins player to have scored 70 or more points in a season? Are we talking Riordan/Piccola era?

DocBarrister :?:
1. Jeff Cook 80 1981
2. Jack Thomas 77 1974
3T. Jack Thomas 75 1972
Joe Cowan 75 1969
Bill Morrill 75 1959
6. Jack Thomas 72 1973
7. Brendan Schneck 71 1980

And Brown 77 in 2015.
Thanks, Drcthru and Hopfan16. Pretty elite company.

DocBarrister :lol:
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

So sorry I left Wells out. These are the complete JHU Lacrosse records through 2017.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/jho ... d_book.pdf
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
CrossCrease

Post by CrossCrease »

Per IL/Ty Xander, Garnsey is likely to reinstated. Wonder if they actually play him
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

CrossCrease wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:14 am Per IL/Ty Xander, Garnsey is likely to reinstated. Wonder if they actually play him
Wombat, go ahead and put the popcorn in the microwave. Enough for all of us in this fallout shelter, please. Doc might want two servings.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

CrossCrease wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:14 am Per IL/Ty Xander, Garnsey is likely to reinstated. Wonder if they actually play him
Good for Garnsey for doing the work. To your question, who wouldn't play him?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:19 am Good for Garnsey for doing the work. To your question, who wouldn't play him?
There's a chance he could sit out the playoffs this year and petition for another year of eligibility. However, that petition is not guaranteed to be approved (and I have no idea what the odds are on its approval).
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Garnsey has been on the Notre Dame roster for the last few days so with all due respect I don't think TX has a big scoop here. If the Loyola 2014 Herreweyer's example is any guide - he did play in the first round game loss to Albany and the Thompsons - he did not start - took 2 shots.
Maybe it's a bit of a red herring to take up space on Petro's white board but my guess is he will play - he's by far their quickest player - will likely take Foley off of Gleason when he's out there. If ND is ahead most of the time maybe he sits more - if Hopkins is in the lead later in the game - I would hazard a strong guess he's out there.

As far as Epstein - we can all have visions of sugar plums with regards to his point totals and his standing among the Hopkins greats. Might want to slow the roll. Sunday Night's opponents held UVA's attack - 3 fairly respectable players (he said tongue in cheek) - to 2 goals - Krauss was held to 2 assists. Moore's goal was an unbelievable mid-field type crank - probably couldn't play much better defense. Giuseppe and Cole have their hands full on Sunday - it may very well be Marr that will get looks. He has not played well lately - time to wake up.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I thought I read that Kraus had been dealing with an injury which has slowed him down considerably lately. When he's on his game there are few scarier dodgers in D1 with the ball in their stick.

Just being contrarian, but if Garnsey does any more than come off the bench in a must win situation, got to wonder what kind of effect that may have on team morale? I know I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to ride the bench in the NCAAs after doing all the work all season to get the team there for a guy who missed the season because he didn't hold up his end of the academic bargain. Maybe I'm not enough of a team player... :oops:

And from the Hop perspective, he may have been working out and practicing on his own, but that still doesn't get you into game shape.. Would love to see a battle-tested Foley go with him 1v1 on Sunday.

EDIT - sounds like from the IL article he has been practicing with the team all year. That is a strange rule, being allowed to practice all season despite proving that you couldn't handle doing both at the same time during your previous time at school.
Last edited by Catbird on Thu May 09, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am Maybe it's a bit of a red herring to take up space on Petro's white board but my guess is he will play - he's by far their quickest player - will likely take Foley off of Gleason when he's out there.
This isn't a bad guess at all as to what actually might be going on here.

It's like when Maryland was having to game plan for Penn State both with and without Ament for their game. Anything that you can do to create additional complexity for your opponent is a no-brainer.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”