Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by primitiveskills »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:12 pm Sloppiest D1 game I have ever seen. Not very encouraging for the rest of the season. Good to see Kirson come alive :D
Well, that's a take.

Here's another: Giving up only 10 goals in a game where you've turned the ball over 25 times bodes very well for the rest of the season, assuming you can get the clear fixed. Seriously, I'm not sure people understand that the 6x6 D pulled off something nearly impossible.
primitiveskills

Mr. F wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:15 pm
Drcthru wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:12 pm Sloppiest D1 game I have ever seen. Not very encouraging for the rest of the season. Good to see Kirson come alive :D
We played the best defensive game since probably 2017 win over UNC, and beat a hungry loyola team who was a goal away from the final four last year with 3 of our starters out. I think the clearing woes aside and the anemic face offs in the second half, this was one of the grittiest performances I’ve seen from this team.
+1
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

credit to kirson and the coaches for believing in him.

we played an awful game w/out the emergent grimes against a battle tested rival and we managed to win. Monster monster step forward.

the trip to chapel hill next week comes 6 days before their basketball team faces coach k perhaps for the last time ever. going to be a massive amount of energy down there.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

- Kirson was very solid and this was the performance he needed to be the unquestioned starter moving forward. Hopefully that helps his confidence and he's able to play more consistently. When you get a good day in cage, look what can happen...

- Smith is the most athletic defensemen we've had in a long time and I have no idea how you bump him back down to LSM #2 when Lyne comes back. I guess a good problem to have for Coach K to figure out.

- Blake Rodgers has dealt with a ton of injuries and in the first game of his career comes up with the game-winning GB. Jennings also had a good game.

- Martin's stat line: 5 GBs, 1 CT, 1 assist. Nice day at the office. Lilly is really improving.

- Ryan Evans earned himself some more PT. Reminds me a little bit of John Crawley.

- Raposo is a fun player. High bouncers will go

- Offense clearly missed Grimes and McDermott. Need them back soon

- Clearing took several years off my life. Guys are just afraid to run it in. Honestly, just let Smith run it over every time if you have to. I don't want to dump on Kirson's great day in the net but much of the clearing woes starts with the goalie IMO.

- Win 1,000. Great day to be a Jay. We're onto Carolina.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Mr. F wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:15 pm
We played the best defensive game since probably 2017 win over UNC, and beat a hungry loyola team who was a goal away from the final four last year with 3 of our starters out. I think the clearing woes aside and the anemic face offs in the second half, this was one of the grittiest performances I’ve seen from this team.
Agree with the gritty performance.

Seriously, though, not being prepared for the Loyola ride is akin to not being prepared for the Sun rising in the East and setting in the West. Pretty close to absolute coaching negligence.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:31 pm - Kirson was very solid and this was the performance he needed to be the unquestioned starter moving forward. Hopefully that helps his confidence and he's able to play more consistently. When you get a good day in cage, look what can happen...

- Smith is the most athletic defensemen we've had in a long time and I have no idea how you bump him back down to LSM #2 when Lyne comes back. I guess a good problem to have for Coach K to figure out.

- Blake Rodgers has dealt with a ton of injuries and in the first game of his career comes up with the game-winning GB. Jennings also had a good game.

- Martin's stat line: 5 GBs, 1 CT, 1 assist. Nice day at the office. Lilly is really improving.

- Ryan Evans earned himself some more PT. Reminds me a little bit of John Crawley.

- Raposo is a fun player. High bouncers will go

- Offense clearly missed Grimes and McDermott. Need them back soon

- Clearing took several years off my life. Guys are just afraid to run it in. Honestly, just let Smith run it over every time if you have to. I don't want to dump on Kirson's great day in the net but much of the clearing woes starts with the goalie IMO.

- Win 1,000. Great day to be a Jay. We're onto Carolina.
God, the miserable turnovers made me forget this was win 1,000. Pretty remarkable accomplishment over 135 seasons by thousands of players and coaches.

Kirson had a magnificent game. Even his stellar 58% save percentage doesn’t properly reflect some of his great saves. Now, he just needs to do that in ten more regular season games, the B1G tournament, and (hopefully), the NCAA tournament.

Blue Jays’ SSDM group has been a real bright spot this season.

Scott Smith has been impressive all season.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:20 pm credit to kirson and the coaches for believing in him.

we played an awful game w/out the emergent grimes against a battle tested rival and we managed to win. Monster monster step forward.

the trip to chapel hill next week comes 6 days before their basketball team faces coach k perhaps for the last time ever. going to be a massive amount of energy down there.
I’m sorry but are you suggesting that a basketball game, that will occur almost a week later and against a different team, is somehow going to have an impact on the energy level on campus for a lacrosse game? Bbbbiiiggggg stretch lol
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Great win. Good goaltending will cover up a lot of sins. Congratulations to Kirson on a great game. If Loyola gets average goaltending, we probably don't win.

Anyone notice what OSU is doing to UNC right now? Yikes.
primitiveskills

Yikes is right. Good day for the B1G, except for whatever the heck is going on with Penn St
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

ptjhu wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:03 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:00 pm WHAT ON EARTH WAS THAT
Bad coaching , bad execution just bad
You think Milliman told the kid to do that?
Yes. Instead of trusting an athlete to get out of a double he most certainly did draw up a timing play that was poorly executed
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

It was right after a time out. Someone told him to do it. Maybe it was Jr. Oh that can’t be right he is a god like figure. I realize they were missing some of there players, but how many shot clock violations did they have??? Time out at the end of the half and they didn’t get a shot off. Thank god the goalie stood on his head. One other thing. Anyone think it’s troublesome that they can’t win Face offs at the end of the game. They were 13 - 6 against Georgetown and ended up 15-13. Today they were 2-8 in the second half.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HappyGilmore wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:39 pm
It was right after a time out. Someone told him to do it. Maybe it was Jr. Oh that can’t be right he is a god like figure. I realize they were missing some of there players, but how many shot clock violations did they have??? Time out at the end of the half and they didn’t get a shot off. Thank god the goalie stood on his head. One other thing. Anyone think it’s troublesome that they can’t win Face offs at the end of the game. They were 13 - 6 against Georgetown and ended up 15-13. Today they were 2-8 in the second half.
Wait, didn’t they win?
molo

Post by molo »

Exactly, while the part of the game that I saw while thawing out after watching the men take care of business following a sloppy first half at the U contained its share of turnovers, especially the give away after the TO, a Hopkins team coming off their worst record since I graduated from UVA and a tough loss against a team they had beaten in every previous game picked up a win against a team who had beaten something like six of the last seven times they played. The much maligned goalie played well, the d made some stops, and the o, missing a starting attackmen or two, scored enough to win. The schedule is hard, there are more good teams, and the personnel is not elite. Treasure the win and work what needs to improve. Any win is a good win with this schedule. How do you think UNC and Penn State feel today?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Team is 3-1 with the only loss coming on the road at the #3 team on the back-end of a Friday-Sunday double dip.

Loyola got roughed up by Maryland last week but they were a quarterfinalist last year that returns most of their guys and has had our number recently. It was a good and important win.

The turnovers are worrisome, no doubt. But to come back in the 4th quarter down your defensive captain and two offensive starters isn't nothing. Several younger guys chipped in: Raposo, Evans, Smith, Martin, etc. Callahan came in late and went 50%, winning a couple big ones. The shorties as a unit are improved from last year and vastly improved from the year before that.

It's still February and there are a lot of things to fix but you'd be well within your right to feel some optimism. Long way to go, but they're going.

Now having said all of that, that play out of the timeout is truly one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen on a lacrosse field and had the D not locked things down at the end, the narrative right now might be very different. Need an explanation for what happened there.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:16 pm
Well, that's a take.

Here's another: Giving up only 10 goals in a game where you've turned the ball over 25 times bodes very well for the rest of the season, assuming you can get the clear fixed. Seriously, I'm not sure people understand that the 6x6 D pulled off something nearly impossible.
Not only the clears, but how many 80 second clocks expired on the offense? And at the half, and at the end of the 3rd quarter. Yeah, Loyola's D gets credit for that, but gotta get shots on goal if we expect to score.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Sister was very happy with the result while I just sighed so there's gonna be teasing all year with this victory. She teases me the most for Tinney's flip play in 2017 that we saw live at homewood but that is beside the point.

Hopkins just simply made the better plays when it mattered most. Hopkins lost the Faceoff battle, got outgroundballed, had less shots, more turnovers. All of these little things were in Loyola's favor except saves. Kirson had the best game of his Blue Jay career so far and of course it had to be against Loyola and for the 1000 win.

Hopkins still had great ball movement offensively and locked down on defense when push came to shove. Keep this up and they can seriously win games on the rest of the season.

Every year this game is hard to watch as a fan of both schools. Stung to see Loyola lose but happy to see the 1000th win and there's no other matchup at least for me that would make this sweeter.

Loyola brought it today and had momentum swings throughout the game, but Hopkins made the right plays at the right time.

Much much respect and love for this team from your Charles Street Neighbor. Will be rooting for you guys always for every game and every year.

Hop16 and DocB thanks for the kind words Loyola's play and their defensive philosophy.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The play that fascinated me was the one where Hopkins has turned the ball back to LC. Howevah a Hopkins plsyer moved the ball out to the middle of the field. A LC player runs up gets the nod from the official and breaks down the field for guess what. A collective What the heck was that goes up. 8 failed clears in the 4 th game !

Officiating was middling. There is a shortage of officials; quality is suffering.

Two pretty evenly matched teams but what does that mean this year
primitiveskills

Agree with HopFan16's bottom line. A win today. 3-1 record, with at least Jacksonville and Loyola likely to be quality wins when May rolls around. Missing key guys but guess what? Turns out we have depth on both the offensive and defensive ends. Depth at pole is an especially nice revelation, so much so that Milliman is now presented with some difficult decisions when Lyne is back. And if Kirson can keep up this form, we could be pretty good.

The clearing was nightmarish but probably also correctable. Need to deal with the reality that while our SSDMs are fantastic on the defensive end, they are not particularly good ball carriers. Smith and McManus are those guys right now. Matt Abbott isn't walking through that door, but there are schemes to correct this, and I'm pretty confident they will.

Lots made of the shot clock violations, but the majority were due to poor shooting in the last 10-15 seconds of the possession. Not poor shots, mind you, but if you miss the cage with those, its a turnover. Again, correctable.

Lots more positives than negatives, despite the obvious sloppiness. It is February. And we're 3-1.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HillsLax wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm I am concerned the team is down three starters? COVID? Hurt by playing two games in three days?

A third attackman is necessary.
Grimes has a concussion
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Posting this here because if i post it anywhere else, people's heads will explode. Based on each D1 Mens Team's Best Three Wins and Worst Three Losses, the #1 team in the nation is... JHU.

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”