The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Or you know, the Republican Party could have convicted on the impeachment and we'd all be done with both him and Biden. Or they could have kept him from this years primary.

Don't blame Dems for the terrible guy you all elected as your party's king.

It's always someone else's fault I guess...
a fan

Post by a fan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:29 pm It's interesting to consider--often the battle lines are depicted as the Democrats versus Trump. Or Americans vs Trump. One of the afterthoughts from the debate has been, too bad Biden didn't (read: wasn't cognitively able) hammer Trump on his lies. I don't know what folks think that would've done. They don't realize there's this whole ocean of people in this country who are sick and tired of liberal agendas being jammed down their throats. Make Trump look bad? Hammer him on his lies? Bring up his 34 felony convictions? (Boy oh boy are they pounding that into the ground). 34 felonies! 34 felonies! Convicted felon! Convicted felon! People who feel they have a voice in Donald Trump only dig their heels in deeper. I have to say it is very satisfying to see all these tactics of the Libs and Dems blowing up in their faces. Trying to remove Trump in all these different ways and they're all backfiring. And now here we are four months before the election and the Democrat party is in a state of panic and chaos--worse than ever. Their lies and covering up for Biden finally exposed, and it's Trump who's on a winning streak. Teflon Don. Nothing's sticking to him. And the more that happens the more insane and shrill the Libs/Dems get. It's going to be a wild ride from here to Election Day.
Wregget...you're smarter than this.

Name a Presidential candidate where a candidate didn't criticize what the the opposing candidate said or did.

If you can name one, I'll buy you a steak dinner.

....and off you go.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:14 am
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:29 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:07 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:46 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:33 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:31 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pm Why is she a “DEI Star” and not just a rogue regulator? Or an over-aggressive head of the FTC? Maybe because you’re racist? Don’t like “ladies” in charge of things. Maybe you’re just an out of touch whiner with a racist profile. Food for thought.
Why is she in that job ? Certainly not based on her work experience ? Food for thought.
Someone should take Saltine's shovel so he will stop digging before he ends up in the Forbidden City!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OS, FFS, have you seen her CV? In what world is she not qualified?

What's the problem with this....?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Khan
She’s not a man. She’s not white. She wasn’t in a branch of the armed services. She works on a Democratic administration. So? The devil, and underqualified to boot. You give this bonehead too much air time.
She's not qualified. No business experience. An academic with an agenda, defending her PhD thesis.
Well, unlike you, she can tell that 80% marketshare is a clear monopoly. You need more business experience in order to understand that....and I'm dead serious. If you don't get why owning 80% of a market a problem? You don't know thing one about American business.

Amazon isn't even at 40% marketshare, OS. That's how ridiculous your claim is that Khan is crazy to not let a company with 80% of the market keep snapping up more companies.

Even more absurd is your claim that these companies can't function and will fail if Khan doesn't let them get bigger. Your claims are over the top ridiculous, and self serving. They can't afford R&D with a 80& marketshare, and $17Billion market cap? Yeah, right.

Your family grocery that set your path in life would have never existed if we had allowed one company to own 80% of the American grocery market. A chain that started in a big city with all the capital would have set up shop in your town, and put them out of business by pummeling them on low prices.

And you would never have known who Ms. Khan was because you sure as sh9t wouldn't own millions of dollars of shares in ANY company, let alone Illumina.
You don't understand a niche market for just one very complex machine which Illumina invented.
Illumina did not gain what you call "monopoly" status via predatory means.
To compare Amazon to Illumina shows your understanding of "Monopoly" is at Milton Bradley level.
As usual -- no nuance. One size fits all.
old salt

Post by old salt »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:13 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 pm Why is she a “DEI Star” and not just a rogue regulator? Or an over-aggressive head of the FTC? Maybe because you’re racist? Don’t like “ladies” in charge of things. Maybe you’re just an out of touch whiner with a racist profile. Food for thought.
Why is she in that job ? Certainly not based on her work experience ? Food for thought.
Someone should take Saltine's shovel so he will stop digging before he ends up in the Forbidden City!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She’s not a man. She’s not white. She wasn’t in a branch of the armed services. She works on a Democratic administration. So? The devil, and underqualified to boot. You give this bonehead too much air time.
She's not qualified. No business experience. An academic with an agenda, defending her PhD thesis.
Well, unlike you, she can tell that 80% marketshare is a clear monopoly. You need more business experience in order to understand that....and I'm dead serious. If you don't get why owning 80% of a market a problem? You don't know thing one about American business.

Amazon isn't even at 40% marketshare, OS. That's how ridiculous your claim is that Khan is crazy to not let a company with 80% of the market keep snapping up more companies.

Even more absurd is your claim that these companies can't function and will fail if Khan doesn't let them get bigger. Your claims are over the top ridiculous, and self serving. They can't afford R&D with a 80& marketshare, and $17Billion market cap? Yeah, right.

Your family grocery that set your path in life would have never existed if we had allowed one company to own 80% of the American grocery market. A chain that started in a big city with all the capital would have set up shop in your town, and put them out of business by pummeling them on low prices.

And you would never have known who Ms. Khan was because you sure as sh9t wouldn't own millions of dollars of shares in ANY company, let alone Illumina.
If he were a decade younger he'd be the produce manager at his local Hy-Vee, worried that if his beloved Rs take the executive branch and both Congressional houses that they'll raise the age for social security, forcing him to continue to harm his ailing back while lifting 75lb boxes of potatoes well into his 70s. Because everyone has the ability to become millionaires in our perfectly level economic playing field so we shouldn't pick on the 1%ers.
SCLaxAttack -- you got any more unsolicited personal finance advice beyond -- diversify ? What % do you charge for your advice ?
My Social Security doesn't cover my Fed income tax due, even in a bad year. ...thanks to my bonehead, amateur investment choices.
If I were a decade younger, my post military career would have been with the airlines, after they raised the mandatory retirement age from 60 to 65.
(I wanted to be able to keep flying for longer than just 15 more years)

afan -- my family's niche market grocery store is still going strong, in it's 2nd century.
The big boy chains come through, do their surveys, sometimes offer a buyout, then go back to the city.
There's a case cutter across the hwy, but he can't beat our house brand prices, doesn't sell liquor, & can't match our full service meat dept.
Even Walmart took a pass. Did not need FTC intervention or protection.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:43 pm You don't understand a niche market for just one very complex machine which Illumina invented.
Illumina did not gain what you call "monopoly" status via predatory means.
To compare Amazon to Illumina shows your understanding of "Monopoly" is at Milton Bradley level.
As usual -- no nuance. One size fits all.
:lol: If I don't get it, and they simply invented "one very complex machine", and that's it?

Why have they acquired 16 companies...and trying for 17?

I'll wait for this spin on this one. You have to explain all 16.

You're claiming "one" very complex machine. 16 is more than "one".

You're wasting your own time with this silliness. OF COURSE the FTC stepped in.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:55 pm
afan -- my family's niche market grocery store is still going strong, in it's 2nd century.
The big boy chains come through, do their surveys, sometimes offer a buyout, then go back to the city.
There's a case cutter across the hwy, but he can't beat our house brand prices, doesn't sell liquor, & can't match our full service meat dept.
:lol: Old Salt, as you know perfectly well, the FTC has already intervened, protecting the market you operate in. That's the whole point to the FTC's existence....to allow your family biz to exist and compete..

You're gaslighting, and understand this just fine.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:13 pm

If he were a decade younger he'd be the produce manager at his local Hy-Vee, worried that if his beloved Rs take the executive branch and both Congressional houses that they'll raise the age for social security, forcing him to continue to harm his ailing back while lifting 75lb boxes of potatoes well into his 70s. Because everyone has the ability to become millionaires in our perfectly level economic playing field so we shouldn't pick on the 1%ers.
SCLaxAttack -- you got any more unsolicited personal finance advice beyond -- diversify ? What % do you charge for your advice ?
My Social Security doesn't cover my Fed income tax due, even in a bad year. ...thanks to my bonehead, amateur investment choices.
If I were a decade younger, my post military career would have been with the airlines, after they raised the mandatory retirement age from 60 to 65.
(I wanted to be able to keep flying for longer than just 15 more years)

Jesus, you are still whining.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:45 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:29 pm It's interesting to consider--often the battle lines are depicted as the Democrats versus Trump. Or Americans vs Trump. One of the afterthoughts from the debate has been, too bad Biden didn't (read: wasn't cognitively able) hammer Trump on his lies. I don't know what folks think that would've done. They don't realize there's this whole ocean of people in this country who are sick and tired of liberal agendas being jammed down their throats. Make Trump look bad? Hammer him on his lies? Bring up his 34 felony convictions? (Boy oh boy are they pounding that into the ground). 34 felonies! 34 felonies! Convicted felon! Convicted felon! People who feel they have a voice in Donald Trump only dig their heels in deeper. I have to say it is very satisfying to see all these tactics of the Libs and Dems blowing up in their faces. Trying to remove Trump in all these different ways and they're all backfiring. And now here we are four months before the election and the Democrat party is in a state of panic and chaos--worse than ever. Their lies and covering up for Biden finally exposed, and it's Trump who's on a winning streak. Teflon Don. Nothing's sticking to him. And the more that happens the more insane and shrill the Libs/Dems get. It's going to be a wild ride from here to Election Day.

Name a Presidential candidate where a candidate didn't criticize what the the opposing candidate said or did.

....and off you go.
Agreed. It's part of the game. I know that full well. They all do it--and should do it. I don't always word things in a clear way--I'll be the first to admit. Sometimes though--and we've all seen it at one time or another. One candidate can hammer another on something and in the end it doesn't tip the scales. 2016 is a perfect example. Hillary hammered Trump on all kinds of things but Trump got in nonetheless.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:19 am
The big boy chains come through, do their surveys, sometimes offer a buyout, then go back to the city. :lol:
:lol: Old Salt, as you know perfectly well, the FTC has already intervened, protecting the market you operate in. That's the whole point to the FTC's existence....to allow your family biz to exist and compete..

Independent grocers watch as the FTC picks winners & losers among the big boy monopolists.

THE FTC has really helped the mom & pop little guys. :lol:

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 024-02-28/
Just 10 chains - Walmart, Kroger, Costco, Albertsons, Sam's Club, Publix, Ahold-Delhaize, Dollar General, Target and Aldi - controlled 60% of the total U.S. grocery market in 2021, according to Bernstein research.
The National Grocers Association, a trade group that represents thousands of smaller independent food retailers and wholesalers, says that four big food retailers - Walmart, Kroger, Costco and Albertsons - leverage market share to "box out" suppliers, resulting in deals that shift higher prices onto smaller stores.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A very measured and interesting look at what the debate confirmed:

https://x.com/thechiefnerd/status/18069 ... mfE5ey8-Lw
OuttaNowhereWregget

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:37 am A very measured and interesting look at what the debate confirmed:

On occasion, my dad was wont to say, "People in power sit around all day long figuring how to stay in power."

Doesn't surprise me.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:55 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:37 am A very measured and interesting look at what the debate confirmed:

On occasion, my dad was wont to say, "People in power sit around all day long figuring how to stay in power."

Doesn't surprise me.
Exactly; witness, you know, January 6 and the fake electors schemes in Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan and Arizona. Good point.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:57 am Exactly; witness, you know, January 6 and the fake electors schemes in Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan and Arizona. Good point.
Exactly X2.
The video doesn't mean much at all, kram, we already know we settle for the cream of the crap rather than demanding the cream of the crop for our president (see current projected candidates). If things stand as they are, we the people will have had Hillary, Joe, or Donald for twelve years to choose from for our president. Think about that. Brings to mind that old saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We the people are failing, we need to raise or standards (a lot).
old salt

Post by old salt »

Don't worry. Hunter's back home now, advising Pop & the rest of the family. Everything will be fine now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Summed up nicely and rationally and frankly, rather scary, wondering who is pulling the strings.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

We're doing this to ourselves.

And Kram....at some point you're going to post twitter threads showing Trump speeches that ramble and make no sense, right?

Right?
a fan

Post by a fan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:27 am

....and off you go.
Agreed. It's part of the game. I know that full well. They all do it--and should do it. I don't always word things in a clear way--I'll be the first to admit. Sometimes though--and we've all seen it at one time or another. One candidate can hammer another on something and in the end it doesn't tip the scales. 2016 is a perfect example. Hillary hammered Trump on all kinds of things but Trump got in nonetheless.
This whole "the more they go after Trump, the more supporters dig in...." is rightwingmedia nonsense.

-Did Trump and his supporters go after Hillary? FoxNews all over Hillary? Benghazi and "her email". Lock her up ring a bell?

Yet no one.....no one....said that "oh the more they're mean to Hillary, the more Hillary supporters and independent voters will vote for her"

Of course not. Why? Because the whole line of reasoning is stupid, that's why.

EVERY Presidential candidate is "mean to the opposition". This is as old as our country.
OuttaNowhereWregget

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:28 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:27 am

....and off you go.
This whole "the more they go after Trump, the more supporters dig in...." is rightwingmedia nonsense.

-Did Trump and his supporters go after Hillary? FoxNews all over Hillary? Benghazi and "her email". Lock her up ring a bell?

Yet no one.....no one....said that "oh the more they're mean to Hillary, the more Hillary supporters and independent voters will vote for her"

Of course not. Why? Because the whole line of reasoning is stupid, that's why.

EVERY Presidential candidate is "mean to the opposition". This is as old as our country.
I acknowledge everything you're saying, but I think Trump is a unique case--both for and against in many ways. One example--I don't ever remember a newly elected president having to get back in the limo on Inauguration Day because of a rioting or near rioting mob. Maybe there have been such occasions but I don't remember seeing that in our country or hearing about it. Agree, there were a lot of threats about prosecuting Hillary but she was never convicted. I don't remember if she even stood trial the way Trump has.

That's how I see it anyway –
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:02 am
a fan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:19 am
The big boy chains come through, do their surveys, sometimes offer a buyout, then go back to the city. :lol:

Independent grocers watch as the FTC picks winners & losers among the big boy monopolists.

THE FTC has really helped the mom & pop little guys. :lol:

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 024-02-28/
Just 10 chains - Walmart, Kroger, Costco, Albertsons, Sam's Club, Publix, Ahold-Delhaize, Dollar General, Target and Aldi - controlled 60% of the total U.S. grocery market in 2021, according to Bernstein research.
The National Grocers Association, a trade group that represents thousands of smaller independent food retailers and wholesalers, says that four big food retailers - Walmart, Kroger, Costco and Albertsons - leverage market share to "box out" suppliers, resulting in deals that shift higher prices onto smaller stores.
:lol: So you ARE gaslighting.

So the FTC....after post-Reagan/Clinton 1%er cheating, and doing NOTHING about obvious monopolies in every industry.

Khan shows up, and starts doing what we pay the FTC to do. You're just mad about this ONE instance that hit your pocketbook.

And that's fine. Complain away, and tell us "this is a different case".

Noticed you "forgot" to tell us how their 16 different acquisitions wasn't boilerplate monopolistic practice. It's because you know it's a monopoly, and letting them acquire yet another company is absurd. In short, you're gaslighting, and know precisely why Khan (gasp!) actually did her freaking job, unlike the last 40 years of FTC committees. You just want your shares left alone....I get it.

You're going to have to calm down at some pont, and admit that now that I know you're a partisan and that wasn't you on Laxpower......you and I agree on a whole range of issues, and you're just arguing to argue.

Return to “POLITICS”